Started on: 12-20-2013 07:58 PM
Replies: 38 (1333 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-31-2020 06:52 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up by brand new 2014 Subaru WRX STI in World Rally Blue, with 8 miles on the odometer.

Rented a car at Detroit Metro Airport this morning, drove 4 hours east to Pittsburgh, did the deal, and I'm now sitting in the hotel room at the Holiday Inn.

Picked up the car at 5:00, just in time for rush hour, in an area that is nothing but hills. Hills and bumper-to-bumper traffic forced me to learn the car fast. I just about have the clutch figured out. First manual transmission car I've owned. Now that the car has 15 miles on it, I think I've driven a total of 30 miles in a manual ever

I'll get some better pictures when the sun comes out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! Looks like your hard work in the search for one paid off! Thats a pretty Subi.
GreenPlatypus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, they are on my shortlist for replacements for the Mini when the time comes. Now get some gold wheels and Monster stickers on it, asap
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it! Way to be persistent Is driving a manual hard?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

No, just takes practice. I think a month from now it should be second nature. Driving it to work every day should be good repetitive practice.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15010 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by GreenPlatypus:

Nice, they are on my shortlist for replacements for the Mini when the time comes. Now get some gold wheels and Monster stickers on it, asap

Gold wheels, yes. Thinking of the OZ Ultraleggera's or the Prodrive GT1's. I'm leaning towards the OZ's because they're slightly lighter and would be easier to replace if one is damaged. Going to put winter tires on the stock wheels and the current summer tires on the gold wheels. Need to figure out how the TPMS sensor are paired to the car so I can swap them out as weather dictates.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It can be exhausting doing bumper to bumper 80 mile a day commutes in/ out of NYC, apart from that its an absolute joy and like RWD said it doesn't take long. I taught myself at my local airport in 3 hours, 2 weeks later and I don't remember stalling the car/ mis-shifting afterwards.

Congrats Bob, she looks sharp!!!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shoulda rented a stick to get you there and save your new baby some wear & tear!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is driving a manual hard?

The first vehicle I drove with a manual transmission was a 2006 International 8600. That was... Interesting.

My daily driver is a 6 speed RX8. I'd never driven a car with a stick prior to buying it so I learned pretty quick. Not much to it, really. I'd like to try out a WRX but I sat in a manual Imprezza (2007 model) before I bought my Mazda and it was seriously cramped for me. I'm sure the higher trims aren't so bad as they have better seats anyway but that did make me reevaluate whether I'd be comfortable with one for a daily driver.

I can't see the pic RWD posted (PIP and myfiero images don't show up on my carrier anymore) but I'm sure it's a nice car and I'm glad the guy finally got what he was after considering how long he's been searching for one
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have your brand new car out in the rain?
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see, they look kind of complicated (but what do I know, I'm 16) but they look so fun. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will you be changing your username to AWDPLZ?
Nice car, congrats
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8 Vega:

You have your brand new car out in the rain?

It hasn't stopped raining since I bought the car. Supposed to flood tonight in the area, then start snowing. I put it in the garage to dry off after I took these pictures, and programmed the Homelink to open the garage door. I noticed the radio antenna wasn't installed on the car, even though I didn't have any trouble with reception. Looked by the spare tire, and there it was. I'll install it after the car dries off.

The car goes 300 highway miles before the low fuel light comes on. I only put 13 gallons in, and it's supposed to be a 16.9 gallon tank.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I DID finally get to drive the car on some dry roads once, on the way home from Traverse City about a week ago. MAN was it nice. Car has about 820 miles on it now, and it just keeps getting better.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2100 miles now, and ended up driving the car through the worst winter and snow Detroit has seen in over 100 years. Washed and waxed it yesterday, used the Ammo paint regimen. Looks better now than when I picked it up.

http://www.ammonyc.com/

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

No, just takes practice. I think a month from now it should be second nature. Driving it to work every day should be good repetitive practice.

I've been driving my automatic Fiero for a year and a half. Yesterday, I came to a stop light and pushed the shifter into neutral like I was still driving my 5-speed. I guess flashbacks can happen at any time!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It hasn't stopped raining since I bought the car.

Assuming the scoop is functional, how does the car deal with rainwater being funneled into such a large opening? Maybe you could post a picture with the hood open.

I like Subaru cars. There are a few real quick ones that autocross locally.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, functional hood scoop. It feeds directly into the intercooler. In Japan on the Spec C model, they offer an intercooler spray option, which sprays water onto the intercooler to cool it, so I would imagine the rain actually has a positive effect on performance.

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I've been driving my automatic Fiero for a year and a half. Yesterday, I came to a stop light and pushed the shifter into neutral like I was still driving my 5-speed. I guess flashbacks can happen at any time!

Do that kind of stuff all the time. Not actual shifting, but hand there starting to. Between the Fiero 5 spd, Silverado column auto and Trail Blazer floor auto. It really gets interesting after coming off a trip with the Harley. I find myself leaning in the car/truck while making turns.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You forgot to Armor-All your tires. Shame on you!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It feeds directly into the intercooler. In Japan on the Spec C model, they offer an intercooler spray option, which sprays water onto the intercooler to cool it, so I would imagine the rain actually has a positive effect on performance.

Ah, so it's not an air intake for combustion purposes, but an air intake to cool the intercooler.

Cool, I learned something.

Thanks for the picture of the engine compartment. Looks tight in there!
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One year later, and the car been completely reliable, even after the 2500 mile road trip. Now has ~9500 miles on it.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/109394.html

Both cars here at the apartment in San Jose on the 20th:

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turned over 10,000 miles today pulling into the Tesla factory.

Also finally washed and waxed it on the 10th

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll wash that pretty car for 5yrs if you sneak me one of the tesla SUVs out the back door.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 01-29-2015).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 years ago today now, drove the car to California and back, now up to 24,000 miles, and zero issues.

Added the optional fog lights at Thanksgiving.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3 years ago today now, drove the car to California and back, now up to 24,000 miles, and zero issues.

Added the optional fog lights at Thanksgiving.

24,000 miles in three years? My Lord, what do you do, walk to work?

Just pulling your chain. My daughter has a Subbie Outback 3.6R Premium. Has been trouble free up until the transmission went out, twice.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

You can't do much about the length of your life, so focus on the width and depth. When Life throws you a curve, lean into it and roll that throttle!!

If, you wish to piss off a Conservative, lie to him.
If, you wish to piss off a Liberal, tell them the truth.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Four years, little over 28,000 miles, and still no issues!

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen a Subaru SVX or an XT in a very long time.

Not for sure if they are collectible or junk piles, but I always thought they were cool back in the day.

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow 4 years 28k, you don't drive that much! It should last a long time at that rate. It was, and still is, a nice looking car.

Four years, little over 28,000 miles, and still no issues!

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2017 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I came back to comment on how well he takes care of it.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I haven't seen a Subaru SVX or an XT in a very long time.

Not for sure if they are collectible or junk piles, but I always thought they were cool back in the day.

I'm going to see this guy's collection during the holidays. The agreement is, I spend 2 days with her barely tolerable Liberal friends in Northern Virginia and she walks through this dealership / museum with me. it's a win / win or a lose / lose depending on how you look at it.

Anyhow, here's a couple of pretty nice SVX's -
http://www.duncanimports.co...facet-anchor-make-37
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to see an SVX every day when I would walk to class in Houghton in college. Their weak point is the automatic transmission can't handle the power from the H6 engine.

The low miles are from living two miles from work, working from home occasionally, and a lot of travel (flying). The San Jose > Fremont commute wasn't bad, but the San Jose > Palo Alto commute was ridiculous, and one of the reasons I came back to Michigan.
86fierose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 213
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroseSend a Private Message to 86fieroseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
28k miles in 4 years!!! Car looks great.

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect day for a scary story: The was perfectly reliable, but it finally had its first problem, and it was the big one:

Catastrophic Engine Failure

I was on the freeway (actually on my way to get an oil change before winter, since the car was about due) in I mode doing about 70 in 6th gear, and suddenly felt a slight loss in power that came and went, like an intermittent misfire. I got off the freeway on my exit, and suddenly the car felt like it was WAY down on power. I was in a 55 zone now, and tried shifting down into 4th, shortly after the engine started making some very bad noises. I put the car in neutral just as the engine died, and was barely able to coast to the shoulder. No warning lights or anything came on (just like when the Fiero engine died). Car would not restart, as if it had a low battery. Called AAA and had it towed the remaining mile to the dealer. They called me with the bad news a couple days later.

3 weeks later, got the car back, and am now re-doing the painful engine break-in procedure, do not exceed 4000 RPM's for 1000 miles.

When I bought the car, I got the 5 year 60,000 mile extended warranty, because I wanted it to be covered for the length of the loan (that I paid off back in March) and I knew I wouldn't put that many miles on it in that time. That $1000 likely saved me close to $10,000, as they had to replace the short block, turbo, etc. all under warranty.

Cause was listed as "Oil Pump Failure, Seized" but I suspect it was actually a rod bearing, as Subaru has been having a problem with the EJ255 and EJ257 from 2012-2016 that was only recently brought to light.

https://www.torquenews.com/...ing-months-discovery

As part of the yet-to-be-finalized settlement, they're going to increase the engine warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

So now I'm wondering if I should keep the car, with a new 2019 engine, or dump it while it still runs and the car has a Bluebook value of $26,000 for a used Tesla Model S.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 Year update: Car is up to 33,000 miles, no additional issues. Ended up buying another extended warranty that will cover the car until the end of 2020. I'm saving up a down payment for a house hopefully this summer, after that I'm going to trade it in for a used Tesla Model S. Overall though this has been by far the best car I've ever seen in terms of reliability.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that its been a good car (other than the "minor engine issue"

GOOD CAR!

*pets car lovingly*

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 01-06-2020).]

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous car! And I love the updates, keep them coming! I am a fellow WRX and Fiero owner in Michigan

I only lurk in OT, but had to jump in as I just picked up a 6-speed 2015 in red. Just an awesome car all around - a GREAT daily driver for Michigan.

Checks all the right boxes:

* Fast
* Tight handling
* Manual transmission
* Good mileage
* Strong aftermarket support
* Reliability
* Red (this was not a requirement, but DAMN it looks good)
* Year round daily - AWD makes this fun in the winter
* Wife said I could buy it (the most important factor)

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 01-06-2020).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As they say, "All good things must come to an end." Today I traded in the STI on a used Tesla Model S P85+. Overall the Subaru was a great car, engine issue aside. Ended up getting $24,000 for it, $6000 more than other offers I'd seen, and not bad considering I'd paid just over $40,000 for it, I'm probably less than $20,000 into it over a 7 year period. If the car had only been worth $5k I would have kept it, but it makes no sense to let it sit and all that value to just disappear with age.

Can't wait to see what they sell it for, and hope some teenager doesn't wrap it around a tree. It's probably the nicest, lowest mileage (34,350 miles) 3rd gen STI in the country.

December 20th 2013 - December 31st 2020

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I like Subaru cars. There are a few real quick ones that autocross locally.

Seeing this thread again is like time-travelling backwards. Two and a half years after originally posting the quote above, I bought my own Subaru Impreza STi... a '98 JDM wagon. That was four years ago. I won't be selling mine (pictured below) for awhile.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock