Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  So I'm considering joining the armed forces need some insight from the pros (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
So I'm considering joining the armed forces need some insight from the pros by pontiackid86
Started on: 06-18-2013 11:44 PM
Replies: 165 (3152 views)
Last post by: avengador1 on 08-04-2015 04:50 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok So I'm in Houston and the job I moved down here for has taken a very bad turn, nothing really bad but its the kind of thing that I'm trying to get out of there before it takes me down, lets just say one thing lead to another I did my job and did the right thing and due to a harassment claim I made to HR about another co worker I was demoted threatened with a pay cut and have been pretty much being forced to quit (and it is going to happen once i find out what I'm going to do, )I've been considering Joining the military for some time now and Dident want to tell my dad (or anyone for that matter) my father is very protective of me (first son and more or less the only family he has left) and I did not know what his opinion of it would be, (while I know I'm a grown man my father dose have an influence of what I do.) I finally told him this weekend when I was home and to my surprise He actuality Did not disapprove of it, I was scared out of my mind to tell him but after i laid it out to him, Why I was considering it, and what I planned to make of it and in what branch He was actuley very supportive of it Not to put down or talk down about them but the army and the marines are out of the question for me I'm not afraid to admit it but I am terrified of the possibility of being deployed into Iraq and Afghanistan as a ground unit
The three branches I have set my heart onto if I join would either be the Coast Guard Air Force or the Navy, Reason being is my listed branches of internist seem to be more reliant of the operation of equipment Than it is brute unrelenting first hand force. Also I'm very good when it comes to the operation of machinery and have yet to be in a piece of equipment I cannot find out how to operate and do so flawlessly on my first run with it, I looked into the benefits Of joining the military and I must say everything from education to serving my country to the pension intrigue me, I Am not the most disciplined Guy out there but it would not take that much to whip me into shape. I'm not in horrible shape physically but there is room for improvement, I've never undertaken anything like this so I want some advice and knowledge from the guys who have been sitting in my seat right now I work with a few guys who have served and while I've heard some good stories and advice from them I cannot get a straight answer from them regarding this topic. I have a million and one different questions and have been researching heavily into this but I want some first hand info. I'm single No kids and the only expense I'll If I peruse this coerce would be direct TV and my car note to which is not all that much.

So please If you have any advice to give me put it to me straight, Also keep this on topic. I know a lot of topics I post end up being a PK bash fest but I'm being 100% about this and this could be a real change in the coming months

Thanks in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently Active Duty Air Force;
Shoot me a PM with all your questions.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Currently Active Duty Air Force;
Shoot me a PM with all your questions.

will do after work tomorrow thanks

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Reason being is my listed branches of internist seem to be more reliant of the operation of equipment Than it is brute unrelenting first hand force. Also I'm very good when it comes to the operation of machinery and have yet to be in a piece of equipment I cannot find out how to operate and do so flawlessly on my first run with it,

Forgot to mention, I am also a Maintainer so I can answer all your questions in that regard as well.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you enlist, be smart and pick an MOS that you will be happy doing for the rest of your life. While you are in go to college to get civilian certifications for the job you are doing in the military, that way you are more hire-able to the civilian sector. If when you get out you can get a job with the government, or other agencies that will do this, your military time in service will also count towards retirement in that job. Look into the Soldiers and Sailors act here, http://www.defense.gov/spec...relief_act_revision/ might be some good help for you there. And if you enlist out of Texas you will qualify for this. http://www.lonestarveterans...!hazelwood-act/c202l

I'm tired, not sure if that made sense or not. Also, if this matters I have been told that the 2nd hardest basic training to go through was for the Coast Guard, 2nd to the Marines of course..... Good luck in your decision.
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marine1981

1364 posts
Member since Jan 2011
Oh, and when I was in I spend all my money on alcohol and girls. The rest I just wasted. Be smart with your money and save it up. Don't blow it on stupid crap because you have nothing else to spend it on.
AlanD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm active duty Navy so if you have any questions send them my way.
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Naval Aviation has all the thrills of the AF and carriers too.

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Naval Aviation has all the thrills of the AF and carriers too.

Yep! They're so special they even have to wear helmets.

[This message has been edited by Fiero_Fan_88 (edited 06-19-2013).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you join the Air Force, heh, you get to live in San Antonio. Well, live is not the right word. Unless you call Basic Training living, .
PM at 'cha Rick.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing you'll wanna do is work on letting go of that arrogance about thinking you can run a piece of equipment flawlessly first run. That general attitude will make your entire enlistment a miserable experience. You may very well be some whiz kid who can do everything perfectly and figure out even the most complex piece of equipment on the planet by touch alone. But if you even so much as hint to some e4 or e5 who's been doing the job for a few years that you think you're more capable than him in any way shape or form, you'll never live it down. Ever. Even if you change duty stations, chances are your reputation will precede you. Don't think you're something special, because you ain't. Especially in the military; there are some hot damn capable people doing their jobs every day, and you will find yourself humiliated, put down, and shown up in a damn quick minute. Trust me on that one, I've been on both sides of that story. It took me about 5 years to live down about 5 words.

Other than that, do your homework, that's all. Don't let the recruiter sell you on a rate. But don't enlist without one guaranteed. Decide what you want to do before you sign, and get the schools lined up so you'll have a path established before you go in. You can always shift gears later if you want to, but if you go in without a rate, you'll be a seaman recruit nobody, and you'll get passed around from division to division like a 2 dollar wh****, doing all the crap work on the ship/boat/barge/whatever.
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

Oh, and when I was in I spend all my money on alcohol and girls. The rest I just wasted. Be smart with your money and save it up. Don't blow it on stupid crap because you have nothing else to spend it on.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement!

As a young man that grew up with nothing. I did the same thing I spent all my money on stupid stuff and did not save a dime. Gettin that check on the 1st and 15th of every month was like winning the lottery for me, I spent it before I got it. Then, I got my fist credit card then oh boy!! When I got out I had nothing to show for all my spending except a lot of debt, that took me years to fix. If anything it did teach me a lesson that I try and live by today in that don't get in over your head! Save save save! The govenment feeds you, houses you and issues you what you need, don't go crazy buying stuff you don't. -Jason

Btw, I vote for the Marine Corps. Without that decision, I wouldn't be the man I am today.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta go Air Force. Didn't you say once you're pretty sure you could fly a plane if you had to?
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I whole heartedly agree with this statement!

As a young man that grew up with nothing. I did the same thing I spent all my money on stupid stuff and did not save a dime. Gettin that check on the 1st and 15th of every month was like winning the lottery for me, I spent it before I got it. Then, I got my fist credit card then oh boy!! When I got out I had nothing to show for all my spending except a lot of debt, that took me years to fix. If anything it did teach me a lesson that I try and live by today in that don't get in over your head! Save save save! The govenment feeds you, houses you and issues you what you need, don't go crazy buying stuff you don't. -Jason

Btw, I vote for the Marine Corps. Without that decision, I wouldn't be the man I am today.

I knew I wasn't the only one lol I have to disagree with you on him joining the Marine Corps though. No disrespect intended but if you don't think you can handle joining the Marine Corps you'll never make it. You have to Want to be a Marine. That's my opinion only though. I was set on joining the Corps and my grandmother told me she didn't think I could do it, it was hard. Spend 5 years in the Air Wing, honorable discharge. Guess I proved her wrong. If I would have applied the effort I could have gotten my A&P license and worked on aircraft in the civilian world too.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever you do make sure you have nothing unresolved before you swear in.

What ever branch you join expect to be put in harms way, even in peace time a Ship/Airplane is a dangerous place to work.
Expect to be worked until there is nothing left to give then be asked to give more, this builds character.
Also start exercising now, going in already able to do 30 pushups and 50 situps will help you. Also Run, run and run some more.

The first year you will be nothing more than a grunt, keep your head down and soak it all in.
Service to your country is a privilege, you will be part of something that shapes history no job is too small or unimportant.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

HT3 USN I'm a fireman not a seaman
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have one misconcepfion of the Army. Not all MOS' s place you in the battlefield. But remember you are trained as a soldier first and at your daily job second.

You have to take the ASVAB test to find out what jobs you qualify for. If you score low your job selection is limited. If you have a GED you can pretty much forget about any flight career or chances for OCS.

Do your homework, pick a MOS you enjoy and never sign up for 4 years on your first tour.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So please If you have any advice to give me put it to me straight, Also keep this on topic. I know a lot of topics I post end up being a PK bash fest but I'm being 100% about this and this could be a real change in the coming months

Don't take this in a bad way, because this is not a bash. Its advice. You say you've been thinking about the military for "some time now". Since before the move to Houston? You've only been there since, what, February? Don't do this on a spur-of-the-moment. If I were you I'd stick it out for a year and if you still want to enlist, then do it then. The military isn't like truck driving or service writing where you can up and leave on a whim.

DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be the hard ass who says, I don't think you would make it in the military. How many jobs have you had, how many cars? You can't just quit or be asked to leave the military without serious repercussions.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

I'll be the hard ass who says, I don't think you would make it in the military. How many jobs have you had, how many cars? You can't just quit or be asked to leave the military without serious repercussions.

I'd be inclined to agree to some extent based on his attitude, and general approach to life.

For you active duty guys, its been my dream to go to flight school in the Navy or Marines (2nd choice). I can still go for OCS if I choose to, however I have a rather disconcerting issue. Like many, I am *very* displeased not only with the current/ previous administrations- but also in disagreement with what our country has been doing overseas. I know many soldiers share the same sentiment and still manage to do their jobs with pride (or at least just do their jobs)- I just don't know if I could suppress the thought of being a pawn for an organization that no longer represents freedom or any of the values I was taught America stands for growing up. What are your thoughts on this? How do you move past it if it is something you think about?
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

What are your thoughts on this? How do you move past it if it is something you think about?

"We do not make policy; elected officials, civilians do that. We are the instruments of that policy." -- From the movie TOP GUN

More then an ounce of truth in that statement. We are not paid to think or have opinions. We are paid to do a job, be it fixing or flying or infantry etc. I have worked under every administration since Reagan. I do my job regardless of who the guy is pulling the strings behind the curtain.

While I have an opinion, I do not usually dwell on it. I am to busy being an American military member.

As for politics, etc, that is why we have PFF.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

You say you've been thinking about the military for "some time now". Since before the move to Houston? You've only been there since, what, February? Don't do this on a spur-of-the-moment.

I'll be the hard ass who says, I don't think you would make it in the military. How many jobs have you had, how many cars?

I agree ... although I take no pleasure in doing so.
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I agree ... although I take no pleasure in doing so.

X2

When you have had enough its not like you can say "OK I'm going home now".

Kevin
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also you need to realize that when you sign up, it is for 8 years, not 2 or 3 or 4. It is a minimum of what ever active duty you decide upon with the rest of the time spent in either a Reserve or Guard outfit or time spent in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve). The Reserves/Guard will be 1 weekend(Minimum) per month along with at least 2 Weeks per year, assuming your unit does not get activated. In the IRR, you essentially spend 30 days a month as a filler somewhere in your job skill. And it is the same with either the Army, the Marines or the Air Force. While I can't speak for the Navy or the Coast Guard, I do know that with the other 3 services, even if your job is as a mess cook or a mechanic, if your camp is attacked, you'll be on the end of a rifle. If a body is need on convoy duty and you are available, you will go and you will pull guard duty from time to time and probably pull police call at some point. (Almost everyone gets this opportunity)

If you can work as part of a team, then go for it. If you can't, don't bother.

[This message has been edited by J-Holland (edited 06-19-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing more than an observation. you wont make it through basic. you can't even keep a car for more than a year, if that long.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J-Holland:
If you can work as part of a team, then go for it. If you can't, don't bother.

And there will most likely be members of the team you won't like, or that won't like you. Just like the coworker you complained about. Care to share more about it? Let me guess.... He called you a #%%#%%
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

I knew I wasn't the only one lol I have to disagree with you on him joining the Marine Corps though. No disrespect intended but if you don't think you can handle joining the Marine Corps you'll never make it. You have to Want to be a Marine. That's my opinion only though. I was set on joining the Corps and my grandmother told me she didn't think I could do it, it was hard. Spend 5 years in the Air Wing, honorable discharge. Guess I proved her wrong. If I would have applied the effort I could have gotten my A&P license and worked on aircraft in the civilian world too.

Thats a really good point, and I agree, and I'll repeat it, you have to WANT to be a Marine. I was a winger too, MWSS 171 Iwakuni Japan, and MWSS 373 El Toro, CA. I loved every minute of it and wish circumstances would have let me stay longer (I couldn't re up in the same MOS as it was full and I would have had to retrain). -Jason
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And there will most likely be members of the team you won't like, or that won't like you. Just like the coworker you complained about. Care to share more about it? Let me guess.... He called you a #%%#%%

This is a very true statement. It will be a job like every other in that aspect. You will have people you do not like and people that don't like you for one reason or another. For those of you who don't think he can do it for one reason or another, if he is ready for a change in his life and can make the commitment I believe he could prove you wrong.

(I had to get out because my MOS was cancelled as well. I worked on C-130's. They phased out the F,R,and T models and replaced them with the new J Model so I would have had to retrain in a different MOS too, and I would most likely moved duty stations and been separated from the woman who is now my wife.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sign up for 3 years and extend from there if you wish to stay in. 3years gets your full GI bill, 20 years gets you retirement. Anything in between is a waste of time. Extending will give you more rotations and options vs reenlisting.
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buhahahahaha! Thanks, PK. I needed a good laugh today!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

"We do not make policy; elected officials, civilians do that. We are the instruments of that policy." -- From the movie TOP GUN

More then an ounce of truth in that statement. We are not paid to think or have opinions. We are paid to do a job, be it fixing or flying or infantry etc. I have worked under every administration since Reagan. I do my job regardless of who the guy is pulling the strings behind the curtain.

While I have an opinion, I do not usually dwell on it. I am to busy being an American military member.

As for politics, etc, that is why we have PFF.

Ahh quoting my favorite movie . Right you are! I'm going to work on this and see how I feel about it, it really is the one thing stopping me. Thanks!
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will give some input here. First off, I do not regret my decision joining the Military, although, I wished I had gone EOD in the first place and not listened to my family. This November will be my 5th year as Active Duty Army and I have had lots of enjoyable experiences and have met alot of people and have traveled to countries that people don't travel to (like Afghanistan). But with that said, there have been times where I was angry or even wanted to cry. But you have to keep your emotions in check because sometimes someone's life depends on you being composed and sharp. The Army can be fun and it can be absolutely miserable, but with good friends, it can be made to be fun. I know at least one person in every branch of the Military to include the Coast Guard (they fall under Dept. of Homeland Security).

Now, if you don't want to deploy. Don't join any branch of the Military. I am serious. Every branch of the Military "Stands ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States in close combat." The Coast Guard does stay mostly stateside, but even their job is dangerous and they could encounter some crazy stuff. While I was in Afghanistan, I got to see first hand how every branch has their function and how we all work together. The Navy deploys to combat area (Seabees and EOD are two that come to mind) Navy EOD is Bada**. Every branch deploys, I am a 91E (Allied Trades Specialist, formerly 44E which is a Machinist) and I have deployed to Afghanistan in a combat position.

If you have a GED (not saying you do, just in response to a post earlier), don't even bother, the Army doesn't take anyone with a GED anymore, maybe if another war pops off.

The Military is a way of life, especially the Marines. I enjoy the steady paycheck and the benefits. But I have grown tired of moving (this is my 3rd duty station in almost 5 years), me and my wife have decided that we want to move back to Texas and buy a house and plant some roots. But I will complete 2 years of Active Duty then I will have to complete 1 year of IRR.

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to PM me.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No It is a she in fact and she has been making my life hell since I moved down here. I moved down here with my buddy who is in line to take my service manager's job, The 2 of them (manager and cashier) have some kind of an affair going and she thinks I'm helping my buddy take his job (which I am not because I think how he is going about doing it is just wrong) So She has been trying to get me fired or quit. I have been verbally threatend by her of violence from her friends, I've had my tires flattened, She has taken Big money RO's I have written up and screwed them up, I have been baited into trying to get me to take money I did not earn by my manager, and theirs a lot more. This was a legitimate claim I put in on her and they have dont little to nothing to correct it except penalize me for doing the right thing.

And on the military note I'm not the same guy you guys have become accustomed to knowing. I've become a very humble grown up individual and have set my goals toward my future. I thought this place would be the start of my career but some of the hard heads there have made it very hard for me to grab traction and once i did at the service desk i was thrown out of it into the second most deadbeat job in the dealership (and I dont mean to blow my own horn but I was doing very well at that job my 1st month I hit the same sales quota as there top writer and it was doctored to make it look bad from seeing the report on my general managers desk). Boot camp is most likely going to make an even bigger man out of me or kill me if I decide to pursue this rout but I have no doubt that not only will the military do me some good but that it will give me a promising career. I work well in a team, I follow orders to a T, And I'm looking for something with motivation toward a future and something new every day not the routine 9-5 pick up your paycheck dead end job that this one has been turned into for me . Also I want to be apart of something bigger than myself I only plan on signing the least length term for my 1st time in it but I have the ability to keep a job and every time I've left an job for another one I have moved up in the field.
I know there is a lot of people who think I cant handle it or stick with it and I have proven a lot of people wrong before and if I Do enlist I plan to do it again.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 06-19-2013).]

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No It is a she in fact and she has been making my life hell since I moved down here. I moved down here with my buddy who is in line to take my service manager's job, The 2 of them (manager and cashier) have some kind of an affair going and she thinks I'm helping my buddy take his job (which I am not because I think how he is going about doing it is just wrong) So She has been trying to get me fired or quit. I have been verbally threatend by her of violence from her friends, I've had my tires flattened, She has taken Big money RO's I have written up and screwed them up, I have been baited into trying to get me to take money I did not earn by my manager, and theirs a lot more. This was a legitimate claim I put in on her and they have dont little to nothing to correct it except penalize me for doing the right thing.

And similar situations like the above never happen in the military?????

Oh, you'd make it through Basic and your advance school fine. You won't be happy with your decision to join a branch and you'll whine more than you'll progress.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I will give some input here. First off, I do not regret my decision joining the Military, although, I wished I had gone EOD in the first place and not listened to my family. This November will be my 5th year as Active Duty Army and I have had lots of enjoyable experiences and have met alot of people and have traveled to countries that people don't travel to (like Afghanistan). But with that said, there have been times where I was angry or even wanted to cry. But you have to keep your emotions in check because sometimes someone's life depends on you being composed and sharp. The Army can be fun and it can be absolutely miserable, but with good friends, it can be made to be fun. I know at least one person in every branch of the Military to include the Coast Guard (they fall under Dept. of Homeland Security).

Now, if you don't want to deploy. Don't join any branch of the Military. I am serious. Every branch of the Military "Stands ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States in close combat." The Coast Guard does stay mostly stateside, but even their job is dangerous and they could encounter some crazy stuff. While I was in Afghanistan, I got to see first hand how every branch has their function and how we all work together. The Navy deploys to combat area (Seabees and EOD are two that come to mind) Navy EOD is Bada**. Every branch deploys, I am a 91E (Allied Trades Specialist, formerly 44E which is a Machinist) and I have deployed to Afghanistan in a combat position.

If you have a GED (not saying you do, just in response to a post earlier), don't even bother, the Army doesn't take anyone with a GED anymore, maybe if another war pops off.

The Military is a way of life, especially the Marines. I enjoy the steady paycheck and the benefits. But I have grown tired of moving (this is my 3rd duty station in almost 5 years), me and my wife have decided that we want to move back to Texas and buy a house and plant some roots. But I will complete 2 years of Active Duty then I will have to complete 1 year of IRR.

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to PM me.

I understand what you're saying and I know that every branch of military is on deck for deployment at any time. I'm not afraid of that I just dont see myself as an army or marine kind of guy, the navy or air navy seems to be more of my fit being its more of a technical job. I'm going to talk to a recruiter and go from there.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And on the military note I'm not the same guy you guys have become accustomed to knowing. I've become a very humble grown up individual and have set my goals toward my future.

This isn't your dad's military... it's become harder to get into, and when you do get into it... they're not as hard-ass as they used to be back in the day. I was never in the military, but I have a lot of friends that are / have been.

It can be rewarding in that if you take advantage of the opportunities you're given, you can actually learn some really decent technical skills. Sometimes, you might get thrown into doing stuff that you have no clue about, and that you don't want to know about. But if you work hard, you'll be able to succeed.

I think it's a good opportunity for you to mature (more).
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

And similar situations like the above never happen in the military?????

Oh, you'd make it through Basic and your advance school fine. You won't be happy with your decision to join a branch and you'll whine more than you'll progress.

I dont think they take it to levels that these 2 have taken it to.. if you worked at the place i work at you will see how much of a mess it is. there losing techs left and right. Our CSA score is in complete disrepair (and it was going up when I was on the service desk) and there comeback rate pretty much forced macks hand last week to send down a rep to see whats going on. Its a mess and when my buddy runs this place into the ground I'm going to be out of there not to far behind him. And when I say I've been considering the military for a while I dont mean months I've been thinking about it since about 20, Truth be told I dident think I had wehat it takes either but over the past few months living on my own has shown me a real sence of responsibility, I've been able to budget myself, I've learned to work for what I own and I've learned that the world is a bigger place than just myself. and for the 1st time in my life I really know i can do it.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I dont think they take it to levels that these 2 have taken it to.. .

I've seen it all and worse.

You wanted input from the pros. I quite sure 24 yrs qualifies me as a pro. I'm sure you dislike what I've said, but I'm not going to sugar coat anything.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:
I've seen it all and worse.

You wanted input from the pros. I quite sure 24 yrs qualifies me as a pro. I'm sure you dislike what I've said, but I'm not going to sugar coat anything.
Well this time i hope to keep my nose clean and not fall into this prediciment again i appritate your input dont take my questioning and rebuttal as defensive

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ace you have a PM, haven't seen you on in a while

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I dont think they take it to levels that these 2 have taken it to.. <snip>

Baaahahahahahahahaaaa. Noooooo, I'm sure you're right. Military guys just don't know ANYTHING about f***ing with your head.

Oh man, are you in for a rude awakening.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock