Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Ticking time bomb in your bathroom? Exploding toilets prompt recall

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ticking time bomb in your bathroom? Exploding toilets prompt recall by Gokart Mozart
Started on: 08-17-2012 07:42 PM
Replies: 32 (1830 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 06-06-2017 02:37 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs...951952--finance.html

Your toilet could be a ticking time bomb. A problem with flushing mechanisms that causes toilets to explode has prompted a recall of 2.3 million toilets in the U.S. and 9,400 in Canada.

There have already been 304 complaints of exploding devices bursting, causing 14 "impact or laceration injuries," according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Flushmate, the company that installed the faulty flusher, has established a website for customers to enter the serial number of their toilets to find out if they need to replace their toilet. They can also receive a repair kit.

According to the company, "The affected Flushmate III Series 503 units can burst at or near the vessel weld seam releasing stored pressure.This pressure can lift the tank lid and shatter the tank, posing impact or laceration hazards to consumers and property damage."

Products with the bad flusher include toilets from Home Depot and Lowes, and those made from 1997-2008 by "American Standard, Crane, Kohler, Eljer, Mansfield, St. Thomas and Gerber."

A Las Vegas woman filed a lawsuit earlier this month against Flushmate, the Los Angeles Times reports. The complaint claims that the repair kit failed to fix her faulty toilet and seeks class-action suit status.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as long as its the tank and not the bowl part that explodes.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Well as long as its the tank and not the bowl part that explodes.

You got that right !!!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the head's up
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ROTTFLMAO...what explodes on MY toilet AINT the device itself !!!

(as belly rumbles from last nights pizza, beer, and cheetos)
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Thanks for the head's up

I see what you did there.

Jim

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one and yes its recalled...

Problem is Tank blows out when no-one is there will cause major flooding.

The website check SN then sends the kit. Have video to install...
Kit has a band to go around the tank and external regulator to reduce pressure.

Says to stop using the toilet until kit is installed?
Like that will happen... Not. One bathroom or many w/ all recall toilets And how long to they send a kit?

Suit link http://www.nationscourts.com/m7_Aug/united.pdf
31. The Recall advises owners to immediately turn off the water supply to the toilets that contain the Flushmate System, thereby making it impossible for Plaintiffs and Class Members who have homes with these toilet systems to use the system.

Like the kit made for car makers... the kit is cheap way to "fix" or IOW avoid the problem. (Like Fiero rear brake recall.)

Can work IF the problem is internal regulator, like is set too high pressure or is failing...
But lawsuit maybe correct because once pressure tank has some damage, and worse a weak weld, only time before tank will blow.
Flushmate is hopping the band will stop breaking outer tank and avoid flooding. (Valve at bottom of unit is to drain outer tank cause pressure tank sweating etc...)

Plus from the suit (Bold added by Ogre)

inadequate Repair
32. The “repair kit” offered by Sloan/Flushmate is inadequate in that it does nothing to repair or correct the design defect. Furthermore, the so called “repair kit” cannot be installed in many toilets due to the restricted available space, shape of the toilet, and length of the existing water line. It also improperly alters the appearance and operation of the American Standard toilet in an effort to compensate for the defect. Furthermore, it is unrealistic and inappropriate to require consumers to install the “repair kit.” The entire Flushmate System needs to be replaced by a qualified plumber, paid for by the toilet manufacturer or SloanlFlushrnate. There is also the additional inconvenience of having an inoperable toilet until the proper repair or replacement is completed.
33. The “repair kit” provided by SloanlFlushrnate does not address the design and manufacturing defects of the Flushmate System.
34. The first component of the repair kit is a U-shaped metal strap described as the “U-band.” Sloan/Flushmate instructs the owner to install the U-band around the Flushmate System pressure vessel which is housed inside the toilet tank. The purported purpose of the U-band is to restrain the movement of the two halves of the plastic pressure vessel upon failure, to reduce the likelihood of explosion of the ceramic toilet tank. The U-band in inadequately designed and fails to correct, repair, or prevent the defect.
3 5 . The second component of the repair kit is an “external regulator.” The purported purpose of the external regulator is to reduce the water pressure supplied to the Flushmate System pressure vessel and thereby reduce the likelihood of explosion or leaks. The impact of reduced pressure directly compromises the flushing function of the Flushmate System and is an inadequate repair.
36. The installation of the repair kit requires plumbing skills and tools that many owners do not possess. It is unreasonable to require class members to undertake the responsibility and risks associated with the installation of an inadequate “repair kit.”

I'm good at plumbing but most have problems and Should Not install the regulator.
In many cases, need to change the plumbing because:
Above reasons
flex tube is too short to reach w/ external reg
used a soft-wall tube and need to be replace
fitting seals are old to work after you mess w/ regulator
Flare nut can crack
Change outlet valve because too old to work
etc...

Does affect performance? I'll let you know after the kit installed...
Many people have problem w/ clearing the bowl w/ Flushmate now. We sometimes have to use 2 flush to clear.

And many models of toilets can't be retrofit to use standard, non pressure, plumbing. You need to by a new one...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-18-2012).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Recall now applies series 503 made from 10/14/97 to 6/30/2009.
If your SN fail then rerun the SN to check again.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Reca...ted-Flushing-System/
https://www.flushmate.com/recall/

How the pressure tank failed...

If you have one on recall then get the kit. Is bad enough when people are around. Can flood a big area when no-one is available to shutoff water.

They say stop using any recall toilets until fixed...
Expect ~1 week after you order a kit. (They use USPS First Class package for mine.)

Results on installing the kit
I've just installed the kit now. (I ordered awhile back but slow to install.)
I was able to reuse hose and shutoff valve but had to reorient valve outlet to point down (Wall mounted and outlet was up) so hose will not be kinked.

If your tight on space, soldered shutoff valve (wall/floor side), etc, you could be calling plumber.
If you have copper tube (often chrome) to the tank then need a new one. Do not try to bend an used one. Hose is big and many think ugly but is very much easier to work with.

New reg does noticeable reduce pressure and both fill and flush are slower for that.
Good that makes less noise when flushing but you could be flush more to clear the bowl.

Notice:
$18 Million Settlement Reached in Flushmate Exploding Toilet Class Action
Make a Claim: Flushmate III Class Action Settlement
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gee,sure glad I stuck to my 1950's shitter with brass float and silicone flapper
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Gee,sure glad I stuck to my 1950's shitter with brass float and silicone flapper

Good for you now but...

1. Low flow are law in most places. You can still find NOS ~3 gal float tank in some areas but float type is going to be extinct as more pressure to save water. Kohler and others have stopped making them.
2. Illegal to sell etc any old toilets in most places. This is not new law. Many states have this on the books for decades or more.

1.2-1.6 GPH is now the norm. They make dual flush units that use 1.6 full flush and 1.0 for small flush.

At this rate, Green laws in many states you could be force to buy a low flow unit. Example, like many places force you to install smoke detector to sell a home.

Well water doesn't matter either. States etc can make a case the well connect to public aquifer. States w/ drought problem is very easy the pass laws to save water.

This recall is only first on pressure flush toilets that use air pressure designs.
And if you buy a new one now, check the tank. Many places w/ low volume sales could have recalled tanks in stock.
Date code is first 6 number in SN in MMDDYY format.
"Bad" Dates are 101497 (October 14, 1997) and continues through 063009 (June 30, 2009).
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My *ass Thanks You!
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

My *ass Thanks You!

I didn't know you were married...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

My *ass Thanks You!

Is this the azz from the earlier thread?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is it bad that I laughed...
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Good for you now but...

1. Low flow are law in most places. You can still find NOS ~3 gal float tank in some areas but float type is going to be extinct as more pressure to save water. Kohler and others have stopped making them.
2. Illegal to sell etc any old toilets in most places. This is not new law. Many states have this on the books for decades or more.

1.2-1.6 GPH is now the norm. They make dual flush units that use 1.6 full flush and 1.0 for small flush.

At this rate, Green laws in many states you could be force to buy a low flow unit. Example, like many places force you to install smoke detector to sell a home.

Well water doesn't matter either. States etc can make a case the well connect to public aquifer. States w/ drought problem is very easy the pass laws to save water.

rule of capture prevails here.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
rule of capture prevails here.

doesn't really matter...
Many ways a state can force you to buy whatever to save water. By putting into building codes can do same job.

Try finding a new toilet w/o it being a low flow model.
Just a few years ago was easy to find new ~3 gpf models. Kohler, American Standard, TOTO, and others have dropped them.

They still make non-pressure tanks... Non-pressurize toilets often have problem to clear the bowl after flushing. Is what Pressurize design are to fight against but 503 Recall regulator w/ lower pressure can have same problem.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You and I live in very different worlds. The county did consider, about 10 years ago, metering all private residential/business water wells and as soon as it became public, the state AG told them "no--you won't and if you even try I will immediately file a state suit against the county".
I have the last toilet I will probably ever buy and yes it has a tank and a float in it. Just checked, I can still go down to the local hardware store and buy a Toilet-in-a-Box with no problem.
Code enforcement here probably isn't what it is in Delaware. My house is on the left side of the boot shaped cleared spot.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-19-2014).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one, but I wont bother with the recall. I will just replace it with a different style.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update
Got mail last week said Flushmate has now have a second case that covers more years.
Oct 14 1997 to Apr 30 2011
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The local "Restore" won't accept toilets donations with greater than 1.6 GPF (low flow) capacity.

Notice nearly all "American Standard" models at Home Depot are 1.28 GPF, both standard and high efficiency except for the dual flush models which are rated 1/1.6 GPF.

Oregon also requires a CO detector either built into the smoke detector or added on separately.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-05-2017).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's more fun to flush an M80.....
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gives new meaning to "dropping a bomb".
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, I just installed a toilet yesterday. I've always wanted those pressurized ones... but alas, I settled for a 1.28gpf. :/
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll stick to my old water waster, with a 2ltr bottle filled with sand in the tank to make my own, water saver toilet..

BRB I need to drop a bomb while I sit on the throne.. ShItAhhhhyyyy
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
I have one, but I wont bother with the recall. I will just replace it with a different style.
Is old post but the plan has problems...
You can do that but the settlement will apply to you regardless and... (You could opt out but you must do so very soon under new case. Old deadlines have past.)
if the unit blows after deadline then you'll find you won't get a dime for damages etc.
if you replace the toilette now then you still get money from doing the job.
And even DIY can get some money for installed the recall kit and/or replacing tank units.

Their having problems w/ the recall kit for leaks etc too like White part has a small hole on the side that leaks.
If that happens call flushmate and complain. They sent many a new tank kit right from the factory and has new 10 year warranty.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doesn't really matter...
Many ways a state can force you to buy whatever to save water. By putting into building codes can do same job.

Try finding a new toilet w/o it being a low flow model.
Just a few years ago was easy to find new ~3 gpf models. Kohler, American Standard, TOTO, and others have dropped them.

They still make non-pressure tanks... Non-pressurize toilets often have problem to clear the bowl after flushing. Is what Pressurize design are to fight against but 503 Recall regulator w/ lower pressure can have same problem.

Do you study up on every law /rule/ etc out there. or make it a point to google any for a new thread? I'm wondering if you know all these laws/codes/epa rules/ dot rules off the top of your head or you just search and report on them.?

As long as there are historic buildings /homes you will be able to by and install an old style water wasting throne.. in any home other than new constuction

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-06-2017).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first time I encountered one of these 'turbotoilets' (in a hotel room), I about jumped out of my skin when I flushed it.

They need warning signs.....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-06-2017).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terrorist Toilets !!!!
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bet plumbers love these, water savers.. it gets the crap past the throne, but sits in the pipes.. and slowly clogs the pipes.. with crap..
My sisters house the 8' of pipe between the throne and shower, was almost clogged solid.. After the shower drain was clear..
If I ever put one in, I'd have the shower and sink drain connection as close to the throne as I could..
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
The local "Restore" won't accept toilets donations with greater than 1.6 GPF (low flow) capacity.

Notice nearly all "American Standard" models at Home Depot are 1.28 GPF, both standard and high efficiency except for the dual flush models which are rated 1/1.6 GPF.
Many Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Goodwill and others are doing same.
If they can sell whatever then have to pay to trash them and old things are often heavy or worse like have HAZMAT trash/recycle rules like some places won't take CRT TV and computer monitors etc for same reasons.
When they take things... A lot of stuff you donate to Goodwill etc goes right in the thrash or even sold buy weight thru Goodwill Outlets because they don't want to deal w/ many things at the stores.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
Do you study up on every law /rule/ etc out there. or make it a point to google any for a new thread? I'm wondering if you know all these laws/codes/epa rules/ dot rules off the top of your head or you just search and report on them.?

As long as there are historic buildings /homes you will be able to by and install an old style water wasting throne.. in any home other than new constuction
Your and others statements may work in your local area but Does Not apply in many states/cities.

By your statement you should be able to install a fuse box and other BS wiring in an old building too. Big Problem is No license electrician will help you if you try. They will violate electric, building and/or fire codes. If the original or added fuse box(es) have any problems then in most cases their only choice is to replace it w/ current breakers and box for them. If you remodel or replace dead equipment, more so when use a contractor or otherwise pay for these jobs, then many times you need build to meet current codes regardless how old the building is.

IOW... You may be able to fix or install old plumping fixtures, even legally buy used old fixtures for your home and maybe others but most stores and others can't sell many things w/o meeting current codes/laws. Many business and rental properties may fix old fixtures but cannot install old fixtures like toilets in an old building in many places. Building for sale, in areas that require rental property licensing or building is for business, inspectors/codes/laws can force many things to be installed or upgraded like smoke/co detectors and age of building often does not matter. And If you have fire etc in an old home, inspectors can condemn it and you might not get a Certificate of Occupancy or other doc's and mean you can't live there until you meet current codes/laws in most places.

Some rule changes make public new outlets. I try keep up w/ building/electric/fire codes, trash/recycle rules, etc in several states/cities because they can affect my job. Many states use national "standard" code books like NEMA etc so most places are about the same. But others like NYC have very tough fire codes etc even more strict then NY and other states.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-06-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Your and others statements may work in your local area but Does Not apply in many states/cities.

By your statement you should be able to install a fuse box and other BS wiring in an old building too. Big Problem is No license electrician will help you if you try. They will violate electric, building and/or fire codes. If the original or added fuse box(es) have any problems then in most cases their only choice is to replace it w/ current breakers and box for them. If you remodel or replace dead equipment, more so when use a contractor or otherwise pay for these jobs, then many times you need build to meet current codes regardless how old the building is.

IOW... You may be able to fix or install old plumping fixtures, even legally buy used old fixtures for your home and maybe others but most stores and others can't sell many things w/o meeting current codes/laws. Many business and rental properties may fix old fixtures but cannot install old fixtures like toilets in an old building in many places. Building for sale, in areas that require rental property licensing or building is for business, inspectors/codes/laws can force many things to be installed or upgraded like smoke/co detectors and age of building often does not matter. And If you have fire etc in an old home, inspectors can condemn it and you might not get a Certificate of Occupancy or other doc's and mean you can't live there until you meet current codes/laws in most places.

Some rule changes make public new outlets. I try keep up w/ building/electric/fire codes, trash/recycle rules, etc in several states/cities because they can affect my job. Many states use national "standard" code books like NEMA etc so most places are about the same. But others like NYC have very tough fire codes etc even more strict then NY and other states.

[/QUOTE]
Front and 2nd doors to a home/garage/ shop are by code 36" or larger, but you still can buy 24 30 32 34" door.. and pre hung doors..
Your comment of stores can not sell items not of code is false..
As for your electric code rant.. that is behind walls and not seen.. it not make a lick of difference in the look of a historic home/building .. unlike a throne that is seen..
So, no you will not get knob and tube wiring anymore.. but I can still buy a fuse panel and fuses.. and the parts for knob and tube wiring..
but a big tank thrones, dam skippy..
Oh and I live in one of the biggest safety Nazi, greenie states going.. deep deep liberal blue..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-06-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock