Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Starting a Business in Ohio.. an Odyssey of paperwork, fees, and other madness (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Starting a Business in Ohio.. an Odyssey of paperwork, fees, and other madness by tbone42
Started on: 05-11-2012 01:02 AM
Replies: 235 (3684 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 07-08-2020 08:38 PM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

I'm not into tattoos, but congratulations! I pray you have fantastic success!

Old buildings are very cool. But as I'm sure you are aware, you may end up having to jump through all sorts of hoops to get a Certificate of Occupancy, especially on a commercial property. Zoning and Code Enforcement love to go all kinds of nuts on old buildings when they change ownership, and you may find a whole new vocabulary in the process.

Thank you, I appreciate your vote of confidence and well wishes. Yeah, waiting for the shoe to drop on that stuff. Always fun finding out what kinds of local ordinances you have to jump through hoops on. As far as i know, the only restriction on me besides work that needs permits (see below) is the front facade. It's uuuuggggllly and i will be working with the local planning board to change it to look a little nicer. As far as i know, they are the only ones with real hands on the process.

I'm not sure how it is there, but many states (and cities) have laws in place that allow only 'licensed' contractors to do certain work on commercial property - usually this is plumbing and electrical stuff ($$$). My father runs a business in New Jersey, nothing exotic, just a small 'self storage' facility. He wanted me to put radiant heat in the flooring, which I gladly did, but in the process of installing the required plumbing for the new furnace, he had to get a permit. I had already done almost all of the work, all to 'code', but the city started to get nasty when he mentioned that it wasn't a 'licensed plumber' that did the install. Ultimately, I told him to go back when someone else was there, and not mention it. The end result was that he paid a licensed plumber a few bucks to come by and 'sign off' that he had done the work, so that the permit would be approved.

License contractors not necessary here, but the work has to be inspected. It does not matter, my guys are licensed. I have a long line of professionals who do work for me. Electrician, Construction, Roofing, HVAC.. the only real professional service guy that i don't have for a client is a Plumber.. which is a shame because I need one pretty soon. Anyhow, at least my guys know the inspectors personally, so hopefully any interior changes that require permit and inspection will be a little easier for me in that regard.

Again, you seem to be pretty on-the-ball, so you probably already know this, but I figure I'd mention it anyway.

Not as i would like to be.. I am still enough in the dark that i feel i need to hire some business consultant to make sure all my ducks are in a row. Accountant, too.

The building looks like it will be a fantastic location for a business. Based on the pictures, it looks to be a fairly decent area, with most of the other shops being maintained nicely, and not much in the way of 'trash' blowing around.

Well, its a small town and believe me, we have a fair amount of "trash" blowing around but since my future building is a half block away from the police station, it usually does not "blow around" in that area.
The whole 2 and a half block historic downtown is in the middle of reconstruction.. I believe people like me are going to put it back on the map, and make people want to come visit. We just need to get good businesses in there. According to traditional views on MY business, they may see me as sort of "on the fringe" and I am going to have to make more in-roads in the community to be fully accepted.. but they will see once I start offering discounts for the college students and veterans that i am interested in more than just lining my pockets with the maximum amount available. I also plan on working with Matthew 25 Ministries through volunteerism and donation to help feed the homeless in our town and the greater Cincinnati and Dayton areas. Additionally i will be donating tattoo gift certificates to many of the local charity fundraisers, the farmers market, and a local PBS station for auction.

Small business owners are the very fabric of this nation, and again, I applaud you for being willing to risk much to live your dream.

I agree with this sentiment and yes, i am risking it all to do what i love and for myself, not anyone else. I am hoping I can run this place succesfully, honestly, and thoroughly. I hope it will be more than just a payday.. I am really looking at a plan for the second half of my life here. I would like to retire by the time I am 60.. that would be 38 years on the job. I think this place will let me do this if I make the right moves.
IP: Logged
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monday @ 9am its mine. Attorney just called and gave the green light, she thinks its a great deal for me as well on a private sentimental note.

I will be posting all sorts of pics and maybe get a video up on my youtube account to show what i got probably Monday night.

It begins!

(On a personal note, how the hell am I gonna sleep until then????? Its better than Christmas when I was 8 years old!)

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 07-19-2012).]

theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Monday @ 9am its mine. Attorney just called and gave the green light, she thinks its a great deal for me as well on a private sentimental note.

I will be posting all sorts of pics and maybe get a video up on my youtube account to show what i got probably Monday night.

It begins!

(On a personal note, how the hell am I gonna sleep until then????? Its better than Christmas when I was 8 years old!)

YES! Very cool! I'm really excited for you man. How well do you like doing trees?
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

YES! Very cool! I'm really excited for you man. How well do you like doing trees?

In this business, you must be ready and willing to do almost anything, after all, the customer is the one who has to wear it. So I love doing trees anyhow, and not only because I have to.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In this business, you must be ready and willing to do almost anything, after all, the customer is the one who has to wear it. So I love doing trees anyhow, and not only because I have to.

Well, I'm thinking about it. I haven't decided though. It doesn't mean anything to me, it would just be art, and I don't know how I feel about it yet. I'm sitting on it, but wanted to see if you liked them. If you did, I'd possibly have you do it when the time came. I'll let you know.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brennan, just remember, you want one tree, no forest around it.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Brennan, just remember, you want one tree, no forest around it.

I have heard that if you keep the bush trimmed it will make your tree look larger
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
33 hour countdown...
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I have heard that if you keep the bush trimmed it will make your tree look larger

If you don't have confidence in your skills, you might want to go that route.

But I am sure tbone is a great artist.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We call ourselves artists, but art happens less often than I would like. Sometimes I am just a real good techician, sometimes i am truly inspired. It really all depends on the willingness of the subject to be tattooed. After all, a painter does not ask permission of a canvas for subject matter, so you are limited by that first and foremost.

15 Hours
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monday @ 9am its mine...

Excellent!

Congratulations!
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
55 Minutes.

*Yawn* It's... a little earlier than I usually get up. I guess I will make it worthwhile. Next post should hopefully be tonight, with pictures.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
29 minutes! Good Luck!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from the signing, took about 45 minutes. Then we headed over to "The Shop" and went over some stuff, took some pics. Pictures AND video links coming when i get home tonight.
I never knew writing 2 checks would be so exhausting, i should have gotten more sleep.

Heading back up there in an hour with my tools to start working.. got some of my guys coming by too to help me rip up carpet, tear down drywall and 2 dividers. I am going to need a new toilet right away, the one downstairs is pretty used up. Landscaping needs to be done out back, and the old owners still have PLENTY of things left over in the building they need to come get, or I start selling on ebay.

I have never been so excited about the prospect of so much hard work in my life. The rest of my life definitely begins today, watch me run with my dreams now.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Oh.. my.. God.

Ripped down the dividers, chopped up drywall and cleaned all day. Day 1 was really productive, and as I figured, we DID find a few items that were absolutely apalling. Running the water to where I need it is going to be challenging. Someone previously GLUED paneling to the cement wall. It ripped cement off when we pulled it down. As a result of how terrible it looks and how much work it is going to take to fix the damage.. we are going to leave the last of the paneling up and just make it work somehow with paint or something.

Also found out a bunch of stuff about the building at the signing this morning. My building is pre-civil war! made in 1852. And it really is in fantastic shape, just so solid.

You guys will have to forgive me, I am exhausted. I will get the videos up after a nap.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's good to see a plan that's coming together.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A local restaurant went with the exposed brick and floor joists in the ceiling. It kind of works. Maybe you could go that route and rip down the rest of the paneling? Have fun today!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Nuff Said. (For Now..)

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 01-29-2013).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a lot of faces of strange people have been showing up at my window and peaking in. In fact, I have nose prints on my display case right now from all the traffic we have gotten. I guess tomorrow I am putting up paper to keep lookey-loos at bay until I open. I have also been questioned by a great many people about what i am doing with the business. Honestly I have no time to field the questions of the curious, or trying to get a feel for the reaction they might have that *gasp* tattoos are going to be performed in THEIR historic downtown. It’s usually not that bad of a reaction, but I have raised more than one eyebrow.

The building and I are having a love affair. I have begun to care for her imperfections as much as her real positive points. The smell of the building is old, but not musty or overpowering. The construction is from another time, and especially the ceiling is a thing I am overjoyed with. Wood trim and panels that are over a hundred years old mingle with more recent renovations in a very pleasing mix. Upstairs is still Buffalo Bill’s house from “Silence of the Lambs” but the downstairs is finally becoming less cluttered and stripped to its barest components. I have found some of the most interesting stuff in the upstairs amongst the former owner’s old crap… old car titles, insurance paperwork, typewriters, a wall plaque of an old sailing vessel, A hundred screwdrivers at least, numerous office items.. no kidding, I scored a case of printer paper and a whole bunch of jeweler trays (and I mean a WHOLE BUNCH) that they were going to throw away. Some made of really nice wood.. you “wood” not believe it.

We tore up all the carpet that is to be removed today and the padding as well. (Carpet in the bathroom YUGH) We emptied the upstairs rooms so we could effect repairs on the walls and virtually replace the ceiling…and I am DEFINITELY going to get a good look at the rafters and roof structure while we have the ceiling out. This is the best time to do a roof repair if necessary, but hopefully everything is solid up there.. but the ceiling indicates it may have rot, so we will see.

We have a few shelves to yank out as well, and that might not be any fun, either. There is plenty to like about that office, however, and one is the nice cubby holes and spaces for a TV and many other things the other offices do not have.

There are working and non-working electrical outlets all over the building. I am going to start tagging the non-working stuff for repair. Likewise, the water pressure is complete crap, the toilet needs repair/replacement and the sink needs a better way to anchor it to the wall, because it came off today when a helper leaned on it. It could have gotten ugly, and we were very fortunate to avoid any major injuries thus far. *knock on wood*

There is so much shoddy wiring, plumbing, and air duct work that I am surprised there has not been a fire or a flood yet. (AGAIN knock on wood..) We are working on getting it all done, I expect to have most of this wrapped up by the end of next weekend. I know it sounds like a lot in a little time, but its about one project a day so its not TOO hateful.

We also have a huge load of tile to buy, along with primer and floor glue. I am going to have to get the measurements but I see no less than 700 sq ft of tile, so this could be an expensive component of the shop coming together. Maybe the plumbing work will be, who knows? I must replace my whole supply line because it starts out 1/2″ copper, goes to galvanize (Looked like 3/4″) and then steps all the way down to 1/4″ or something at the sink. Its ridiculous and needs a complete overhaul, so that is gonna cost, too.

Well, this is when I need to be sleeping but old habits die hard. I am trying to get my sleep schedule tightened up so I am not so tired all day while I am finishing the remodeling. I did 12 hours today, probably the same tomorrow. I confess, I hope this is the last time I ever have to do all the re-modeling myself and just a few friends. They have been great so far, one guy has already worked 16 hours with me. I plan on getting some “crew” t-shirts made up for everyone who helped with the shop logo on the front, as an extra thank-you above and beyond my compensation to them. Maybe get everyone together for a group photo holding the tools they may have used and wearing the shirts.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The enthusiasm is evident in your videos. One complaint--no shot of the wife??

I could see how well it will work just in the video. So you're going to leave those rooms and not just leave it open for maximum space for your employees? I've only been to a handful of tattoo parlors. Only one or two rooms were open in each, with a big open room for the "lessers" I just didn't see any room for anyone on the main floor besides the two rooms.

Very cool stuff Ted. Good luck again with everything.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aw geez, you sound like Back on Holiday! Yeah, she runs over and opens the door for me at the beginning, but its a quick shot so you would have to pause it to get a real look at her I guess. Coming soon to another video, I guess.. she works in film and TV, but I think she is more comfortable behind the camera instead of in front of it.

Waiting on the plumbers right now, they are dragging their heels. So I have time to type for a minute.

I WAS going to provide an open lobby setup, but the width of the building is just going to make it to tight, so I am just going to have 3 procedure rooms.. mine, another tattooer, and the piercing room up those "spiral" stairs that is going to require a new ceiling. Since my business structure is set up that all who work in there will be their own business owners, I have no problem with only 3 operators working out of there at once.. honestly, I doubt that the town could support more than that at this time. So I will be looking for one person, a tattoo artist, to come work with me. Already have 3 people who can or want to learn how to pierce and work out of there, so i might be doing a rotation with them and see who is going to work out the best personality and skill wise. The only other available space on the ground floor must be the sterile room, so really I am out of space.

The upstairs (which you have not seen but I will post a video tonite) has a ton of room available if I ever want to expand, but I am planning on turning one of the 3 rooms up stairs into a ceramics studio since I have all the stuff just sitting on my back porch for it anyhow. (Kiln, potters wheel, clay, tools, etc..) Upstairs will need a ton of remodeling, so I know that cannot happoen right away, especially since its still full of junk from the previous owners and they are working on getting it out of there right now.

I am friggin' exhausted.. this is fun, but tiring work.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yanked the carpet and I am ordering $500 in tile tomorrow. I built a half-wall for reception today, just needs drywall and a finish quality 2X6 to cap it. I turned a door jam into a window and now i need to get safety glass for that and the sterile room window.

Cut the carpet to fix the lobby's carpet issues. I am still getting an area rug to cover one particularly ugly spot in the lobby carpeting.

Tomorrow we rip out the ceiling in one room, and pull a whole bunch of shelves and cut out some ductwork that is not being used.

Should be hearing from the plumber in the next 2 days with the quote of all that needs doing. Can't wait for that, probably will be the priciest part fo getting this rehab done.

Still got some big messes to clean up, and plenty of grunt work to do... but we are getting there.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful with the old ductwork- a lot of old building used asbestos in pipe wraps and insulation. If it looks questionable, get some proper help! Your life may depend on it.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! A lot of progress in a few days. (Well... since I've been here, anyway.)
It's actually appears to be in better shape than you made it sound. Looks quite nice. Obviously, paneling and drywall (as well as the camera) can hide a lot of sins, but still. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40686 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Cooter:

... asbestos...

The same thing occurred to me, and I forgot until I saw Cooter's post.

Be careful. Stay safe. (I know you will, but I've got to say it anyway.)
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's a duct that elbows into a room and is covered with a wood casing. I just need to rip it out, I won't be messing with anything that has insulation in it at this time. There is some ductwork from '75 that was added on to let a big window ac cool the downstairs. That stuff scares the crap out of me and i will get it tested when my remodeling plans move upstairs, maybe next year.

I DO appreciate the warning, however, but yes it has already been planned for.

The electric in this place is scary as hell, guys... I gotta call my electrician in, absolutely nothing is up to code and in the case of juice, I would rather get that fixed then just shine it on and take any chances.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are progressing. We removed the ducts, drywalled the once-door-now-window in my office and drywalled and capped the partition wall in the lobby. I fought a hard battle against the toilet but lost. The float was bad, so i went cheap and had to return it after it would not shut off. Broke after 2 flushes. So I returned it and got one that works sometimes, and runs a lot of the time too. This time I am exchanging it for a ball-float which I have more confidence in.

Looks like i am going to tango for a while with my new dance partner, the Health department. They have a lot of flaming hoops they want me to jump through.. submitting a floorplan so they can approve the improvements and we can get a permit. They are sending me a step by step packet which is great, but the people on the phone really did not have the knowledge i would expect for someone who is going to regulate my business so heavily. Sure, I will put in a mop sink. Special drains? Ok. Add on some kind of unit on my water heater? Do I have to? Etc, etc, etc. Now is where the real red tape starts kicking in as I expected. Just gotta jump through their hoops and spend a lot of money to do so... and they could be filling my dancecard for weeks. I can still open by mid august, but I will be limited to offering merchadise in the lobby until all the inspections and additions the health department get approval and such. And then they want $200/year to stay certified.

Everyone in the chain of command from plumber, through inspectors and permits, all the way up to the county and schools are rubbing their hands together knowing they are getting a piece of the action. *sigh*

Anyhow, it was a productive day, but I took a couple more financial body blows I was not expecting, especially the delay in getting open for tattooing specifically. Luckily the remodel is almost done, just a week or two of hard work left.

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's how the government works. Regulate it, tax it, make sure everyone gets a piece of the action even BEFORE you open your doors and generate a single dime. I could go all 'political' on this, but all those regulations almost ensure that small businesses never make it past the starting gates....

Keep up the fight! Again, I pray for your success. Small business is the backbone of this country. (now if only the government would just get out of the way...)

We are progressing. We removed the ducts, drywalled the once-door-now-window in my office and drywalled and capped the partition wall in the lobby. I fought a hard battle against the toilet but lost. The float was bad, so i went cheap and had to return it after it would not shut off. Broke after 2 flushes. So I returned it and got one that works sometimes, and runs a lot of the time too. This time I am exchanging it for a ball-float which I have more confidence in.

Looks like i am going to tango for a while with my new dance partner, the Health department. They have a lot of flaming hoops they want me to jump through.. submitting a floorplan so they can approve the improvements and we can get a permit. They are sending me a step by step packet which is great, but the people on the phone really did not have the knowledge i would expect for someone who is going to regulate my business so heavily. Sure, I will put in a mop sink. Special drains? Ok. Add on some kind of unit on my water heater? Do I have to? Etc, etc, etc. Now is where the real red tape starts kicking in as I expected. Just gotta jump through their hoops and spend a lot of money to do so... and they could be filling my dancecard for weeks. I can still open by mid august, but I will be limited to offering merchadise in the lobby until all the inspections and additions the health department get approval and such. And then they want $200/year to stay certified.

Everyone in the chain of command from plumber, through inspectors and permits, all the way up to the county and schools are rubbing their hands together knowing they are getting a piece of the action. *sigh*

Anyhow, it was a productive day, but I took a couple more financial body blows I was not expecting, especially the delay in getting open for tattooing specifically. Luckily the remodel is almost done, just a week or two of hard work left.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever need a band name, tbone: Paperwork Odysseus
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow did we get a lot of dust in the air today. We yanked the plaster out of the ceiling in the upstairs room, and to my surprise revealed some nice timbers. Like nice enough, with a little bit of cleaning up and varnishing, that I can leave the timbers exposed and it will look dynamite. Another dangerous situation with the electric revealed itself today in the form of a box stuffed with wires from all different directons. Once again, not code at all. The light ballast we pulled off the box was really, really hot. Egg-cooking hot. So that will not be going back up, and I am afraid I must now call in my electrician for damage control, the wiring up there is just too scary to let go any longer. We will be putting in conduit and yanking that old stuff in pretty short order.. its going to start looking like a Chipotle ceiling in there with the stainless, conduit, and exposed timbers.

We brought enough wood from shelves and what-have-you upstairs to build a boat with. Looks like we are going to have a massive bonfire at my house in a couple weeks, if any of you guys are flying planes, look for the beacon!

Finished cutting up all the old carpet and stuffing it in contractor bags. Our garbage man comes every weekday, and has thus far taken everything that i have set out for him to take away. Got the last of the drywall hung. Tomorrow I glue in a couple pieces of carpet as patches, and mud the drywall. It appears drywall mud IS going to work to repair the plaster damage in the front of the building, so i will get to work on that as well. And cleaning.. lots and lots of cleaning.

I feel better about the delay in getting open, mostly because it is allowing me to concentrate on the remodeling in the whole bottom floor and less rush-rush-rush. When it gets open, its open. Right now I am squeeking by on enough pay to keep the shop and pay my bills, so this is something I can take my time on here.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the game has changed. The challenge is no longer to purchase the building before fall but to have the business open and ready before Winter. The new war I will be fighting will be with Zoning, Inspectors, and Health Department... I am going to have serious electrical issues, and luckily i am friends with a licensed electrician who knows the local inspector pretty well. He works for trade, so 'check' on that.

The Health Department wants a diagram layout with measurements, location of entrances, exits, water, electric, a manifest of all equipment with model numbers to be used, paperwork details that include my daily procedures, aftercare instructions, Client info sheets and waiver, and a couple other things i cannot remember at the moment.

Zoning and Building inspectors are gonna come in, snoop around, and eventually charge me fees for no reason. Love the paperwork, fees, and other madness related to that.

I need to do some restore work on the front of the buildning, including changing the sign. These facade changes must be approved by a volunteer commission dedicated to historical restoration in our county. They call it the "design review board" and the best idea is to submit several color schemes and let them choose the scheme they think will work best.

The previous owners kinda put a dent in their upstairs trash. They filled a dumpster 5th wheel with garbage. Old newspapers showing 1973 fashions, moth eaten ponchos, bags of zippers.. all that got thrown away. They still have enough crap up there and in the basement to fill a trailer 5 more times. I discovered that the upstairs has back windows. And they are intact. They were boarded up for reasons of insulation and scurity years ago.. but when the wood was removed from the front and back.. there they were, not cracked or anything. Score for me.

However, the down note is, after they removed so much stuff upstairs, I started to get a real idea about how much work it was going to take to re-model it. The decision was made quickly that a drop ceiling would probably be in order to avoid a LOT of scraping and repair 15 foot in the air. Additionally, the floor is mostly solid, but a few repairs will need to be made eventually where it is uneven and wobbly. After that we'll replace the front windows, paint the walls and put in carpet and pad and it will be a real nice space. That is probably a year off. For now, we just hope they get it all cleaned out soon so we can use it to start holding OUR junk.

More to come. I will be doing a few more days work this week and then i will shoot another video to show the progress.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Zoning and Building inspectors are gonna come in, snoop around, and eventually charge me fees for no reason. Love the paperwork, fees, and other madness related to that.

We always knew that with experience you would understand. Hang in there.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your tax (and fees) dollars at work.

Still watching. Best of luck!
I know you'll do well, however. Sounds like you've got everything covered.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, not bad as far as having everything covered. I am taking a break from the grunt work today, but i do have to run down to cincinnati to pick up my commercial tile that finally came in.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 01-29-2013).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just lost the whole afternoon to waiting on my brake parts from UPS. Looked out at the southwestern sky and saw dark clouds and heard thunder. Shoot, cannot excuse this much downtime and not be able to install my brakes today, so I am going to head back up too the shop to do some drywall sanding, floor chipping and installing some more subfloor.We really needed the rain, and the cool-off.. its been pretty inhospitable here for a while with the high temps and humidity.

I did get the floorplan out to the health department today and spied where the other inspectors hang out. My electrician came out and saw the small work he was going to have to do just to make things so I like them. He is always happy to trade for tattoos, and i am always happy to oblige. At least i can save a little money in SOME part of this process. Also finished patching the walls, so all that is left is to sand, prime and paint over the weekend around my two shifts at the restaurant... sleep has been kind of secondary lately, but I did actually get 6 hours last night and that is the best I have had for a while.

Wondering what the fire inspection is going to make me have to do.. i do not have a lit up egress sign, so i am expcting that. I have smoke detectors already and a fire extinguisher, although I am unsure what the minimum size standards are for square footage.

Man, I will be glad to finally get open, this is starting to be less fun, I want to get back to the fun stuff.. like making money.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

like making money

You want to work and make money? What is this world coming to?
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just because a bunch of you old farts think nobody who is younger than youse wants to work does not make it so. You know I love ya Mike, but I used to work concrete. Now there's a hard job for little pay.. I feel I paid my dues with that one for the rest of my life.

Anyhow, just got word from the Health Department, they were impressed with my shop layout and gave me the green light to start the plumbing. Waiting on some estimates, but I already know this is going to be the "big hit" financially. I expect pretty hefty labor charge, changing the whole plumbing system out except the water heater... and maybe moving THAT to the basement.

Just finishing up the wall repairs and priming/painting. I go fishing and camping this weekend (Sat-Tues) for what will probably be the last vacation I get for years. I am ready for that, I will keep myself sane by looking at pictures of palm trees and white beaches, knowing that the ultimate "lofty" goal is to retire to the islands in 20-25 years. Anyhow, after I am back from fishing and camping , I put in the VCT flooring, get the plumbing done, put new carpet in the lobby.. and .. I think thats it?

I get to spend a boatload of money today on 4 sinks and faucets and a mopsink. (About $700) After that I go by some VCT adhesive, leveling cement, and a trowel and get busy finishing the floors. It all ends with me bribing.. er.. paying the health department with the $200 inspection fee. Last thing is picking up my $25 vendors license and I am open for business. I am hoping to get this all done by September 1st.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... just got word from the Health Department, they were impressed with my shop layout and gave me the green light ...

Congratulations. You appear to have discovered one of the secrets of dealing with such agencies. Act professionally, do your best to cooperate, and make it as easy as possible for them to do their job. If you are professional, in most cases they will respond professionally. Very few of them go out seeking conflict. If you act professionally and your business looks good, it makes them look good too.

It all ends with me bribing.. er.. paying the health department with the $200 inspection fee.

A word of advice: Don't even joke about such things. They can come back to bite you, even if you are totally innocent.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-16-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not a joke, Marvin, its a sarcastic noting of a sad fact. Howabout i call it legal extortion, instead? Since I cannot open a business without their "blessing" and $200.. which they do nothing to earn that much. Anyhow, I am probably just bitter because the fees are piling up and yet i am still not open for business to offset them. But you are right, sir. So for the record, there is no "bribing" at all, just legal means of lightening my pockets for no real value in trade or product. I had a boss who used to write "gangster ripoff fees" in the note areas of his checks when paying for certain fees he felt too expensive or unfair. I won't do that, but i do feel its unfair for that amount of $$$.

Gettting there.. paint is done. I go fishing this weekend, come back and lay in the VCT. Waiting on a quote for the plumber.I still have 3 sinks, a mop sink and faucet, a display case, carpeting in the lobby, 1 year membership to sterile monitoring service and lots of picture framing to purchase on top of the plumber service. Gonna be getting expensive here in a minute.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-16-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock