Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Beater 'Bu being retired. Better car acquired. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Beater 'Bu being retired. Better car acquired. by OKflyboy
Started on: 02-08-2011 11:32 PM
Replies: 126 (4547 views)
Last post by: OKflyboy on 01-28-2017 03:29 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Beater 'Bu got overheated shortly after finishing the cammo paint and has been running rough ever since, doesn't burn oil, but leaks like a siv. I'd decided that with this tax return it was time to put her out to pasture. So I've been trying to decide what to replace her with.

First off, it had to have at least 5 seats and A/C. I wanted something safe for my wife, but something that I could have fun and give me a bit of spirited driving. Also, I was looking to spend less then $1500.

A buddy is a huge Volvo fan and he's convinced me that an older turbo'd 2/7/940 Volvo would meet all these criteria. So... I bit the bullet.

I just bought a '86 Volvo 245GL. Its not a turbo model, but my buddy's got most of the stuff to add a turbo, so we'll be doing so shortly.

Here's a pic I snapped at work, right before my camera died. More will follow later:

Under the hood we will be adding a turbo with a manual boost controller, big exhaust, higher amp alternator and e-fan.
------------------
Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 09-03-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New pics! Sorry for the poor quality. I'm relegated to the camera-phone since my digital took a crap. We've got a nice camera on order, but won't be here until Monday...

Clean Exterior:

Clean Interior:

Only one tear in the leather and its right at a seam. I think I'm going to try my hand at sewing leather:

Can't you just hear it screaming "Help me Breath! Feed me TURBOZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Roof rack <delete> (Yes, I will eventually remove those plugs to sand the rust and touch-up around the holes)

The only real flaw in an otherwise straight body. Apparently a tree fell on it during the '07 ice storm. The roof rack absorbed most of the impact but the roof took a bit too.

Rockin the 1980s Kenwood!

Yeah, that's how I roll.

(The Cassette deck and Dice plate frame are SO staying, too!)

------------------

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Can't you just hear it screaming "Help me Breath! Feed me TURBOZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This looks familiar to me......Oh now I know, Ford 2.3 Liter SOHC. These are beast little four bangers especially with a Turbo.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate you I hate you I hate you. Now get your ass on turbobricks with the rest of us! The redblocks are soooooooo friggen easy to turbo. Just get the setup off of a 740 and drill the return line and swap emcs. Your new home will be www.ipdusa.com. I have spent thousands of dollars there. Once you go with a brick everything else just becomes sub standard. I have a IPD gen one cam gear you can have if you want to cover shipping from california to MO then from MO to you. It is a gen one not the crappy peg type. Btw what car are you getting rid of. I am looking for a beater. If you need volvo help im down the road.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the sh!t outta that vehicle. Like would love to have the available cash to get one, almost would trade my suburban for a Turbo model. I hope you enjoy it, those were the first vehicle I learned how to drive a stick on.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I hate you I hate you I hate you. Now get your ass on turbobricks with the rest of us!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/member.php?u=40022

The redblocks are soooooooo friggen easy to turbo. Just get the setup off of a 740 and drill the return line and swap emcs. Your new home will be www.ipdusa.com. I have spent thousands of dollars there.

Yeah, we're getting ready to +t it now. I just bought a downpipe, besides that my buddy thinks he has just about everything else we'll need. And yeah, I've spent quite a few hours browsing ipd and fpcgroton lately.

Btw what car are you getting rid of. I am looking for a beater. If you need volvo help im down the road.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/076625.html#p15

But it looks like one of my coworkers may be getting it. I'll let ya know.

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

I love the sh!t outta that vehicle. Like would love to have the available cash to get one, almost would trade my suburban for a Turbo model. I hope you enjoy it, those were the first vehicle I learned how to drive a stick on.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked myself.

Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-13-2011).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I REALLY miss my Turbo Volvo S70. Those Bricks are just awesome!! Enjoy the heck out of it!! Ride it hard, hang it up wet and do it all over again!
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After reading your thread title I had a dude86 flashback

Doug
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These 240s are pretty cool.

This was my parents car, a 1983 Volvo 240 TurboWagon. They bought it new in 1983, and then finally sold it in ~2005

Growing up, that's all my parents ever bought.

The very first car I ever remembering my dad have was some green Volvo 122 Coupe. My mom always had station wagons, and she drove a 74 Ford LTD Estate Wagon, but replaced it with this 83 Volvo. Shortly after, my dad then got an 85 Volvo 240 Turbo Coupe that was loaded. Sunroof, 4-Speed manual w/ overdrive, all the options, turbo, etc... was pretty cool.

My dad drove that until 1996 when he bought a new Volvo 850 T5r. They also got a 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon a year later but still kept the 83 Volvo.

They had so many problems with some of the later Volvos (before Ford bought them), that they ended up switching all to Ford.

My dad now drives a 2009 Explorer Sport XLT, and my mom drives an Escape of some year...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doug.s:

After reading your thread title I had a dude86 flashback

Doug

That was the idea.

Well, got some more work done today, couldn't do much before work, but did manage to dye the seats. I had tried shoe polish in an inconspicuous place a couple of days ago, but the results were poor, and it was rubbing off on clothing, so I tried Kiwi Leather Dye this time, and it turned out great!

1) Driver Before

2) Driver After

3) Passenger after (forgot to snap a before)

4) Kiwi Leather Dye
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More work done!

The boys help me repair some bad wiring at the tailgate hinges:

The 80s Kenwood crapped out, so it was time to remove it. My gauge cluster will eventually go here:

The new Clarion head unit has been relocated to the lower console:

New wheels! Spacers are on order, tires would be on order too, if discount tires wouldn't keep jacking up my order!

A taste of what's to come (looks good, but needs the front end lowered):

PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Gauges mounted but not connected:

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered the tires today, in the end I had to call Discount Tire, as I just couldn't get their website to work for me. Kumho Ecsta AST 215/45R-17s. Discount and Tirerack both carried them and they had decent reviews on both. The biggest complaint was that they wore quickly - Oh well, I had to compromise between price and quality, I couldn't afford to spend very much. At least Kumho is a name I recognize, unlike the Sceptor tires I found used a few days ago (that the guy was trying to sell for $50 each, when they were only $65 new!) I found them cheaper at Tirerack, but they charge shipping whereas Discount has free shipping. When I mentioned the lower price to Discount, they met me half-way on the price.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gauges mounted but not connected:

I like the way you moved that other ?gauge?, or is that a clock ?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Yes, that's a clock. Volvo gauge clusters are all modular. The factory turbo cars have all the gauges (and the clock) right where the radio is located on non-turbo cars and you can swap the individual gauges as desired.

Eventually, the clock will be replaced with a Boost gauge, and the empty space will have air/fuel gauge, but neither of those are needed until we add the turbo.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-24-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm .. me likes the triple guage separates, like the last picture you posted, better than the triple guage cluster you installed. Looks more factory custom. I don't get to the bone yard much but can keep my eyes open.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Hmm .. me likes the triple guage separates, like the last picture you posted, better than the triple guage cluster you installed. Looks more factory custom. I don't get to the bone yard much but can keep my eyes open.

Truth be told, so do I. But those gauge clusters only came on Turbo cars, and are harder to find. Its not uncommon to see that cluster going for >$50 on the Volvo forums. Plus, I had the materials on hand to make the cluster. Who knows, I may end up scrapping it and going with a Turbo gauge cluster yet...
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I knew you needed that size tire. I have been sitting on some that size about a year and nobody wants a sidewall that high.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The factory turbo cars have all the gauges (and the clock) right where the radio is located on non-turbo cars and you can swap the individual gauges as desired.

Clock ?
What guages are there ?
I see oil pressure, a possible vacuum guage,, unknown something (which I would think would be boost, but the oil can icon throws me), and volts on the top row. Thermometer next to the vents ?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Clock ?
What guages are there ?
I see oil pressure, a possible vacuum guage,, unknown something (which I would think would be boost, but the oil can icon throws me), and volts on the top row. Thermometer next to the vents ?

That is not a factory gauge set, I used that pic to show how one could swap out gauges at will. Let me see if I can find a factory cluster...

As for the gauges this person has installed:

Volvo oil Temp, VDO Vacuum gauge, Factory 240 Oil Press (which is a barometric scale), Factory 240 Volt, Factory Water Temp (But not original to the 240, since as you can see his car has a temp gauge on the speedo cluster)

Volvo uses all VDO gauges from the factory - just rebadged to "Volvo", so if you can spend the coin most VDO gauges will drop right in, and work with the factory Volvo sending units. Unfortunately VDO gauges are just too spendy for me...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 09-22-2013).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Well, I'm not finding a good pic of the cluster in the car, but this is the cluster from a factory turbo car:

It would go right where my homemade one does, then the car would also have the clock right where my clock is:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-25-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IPD used to sell the factory cluster. I know they sell the VDO gauges. Just go to the yard and grab the little squares with the clock and pop them in.
BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man good choice! Can't go wrong with a wagon There are a couple in the junkyard here, I will have to take a look and see if any got that individual gauge cluster. It's hard to find a turbo'ed one around here unfortunately Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Dave

------------------
BAZOOKAFIERO's Junk

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:

I wish I knew you needed that size tire. I have been sitting on some that size about a year and nobody wants a sidewall that high.

Well, considering I just paid $330 for a set of brand-spanking-new tires, I wish you had, too!

Originally posted by BazookaFiero:
Man good choice! Can't go wrong with a wagon There are a couple in the junkyard here, I will have to take a look and see if any got that individual gauge cluster. It's hard to find a turbo'ed one around here unfortunately Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Dave

I've seen the pics of your Lady's wagon. Its a nice one as well. Thanks, I'll do my best to keep y'all posted.

Got the tires this afternoon (ordered them yesterday morning! Discount Tire doesn't mess around!). Got them mounted and balanced this evening. I'm still waiting on my spacers, but I think they might be in tomorrow. If they are, the wagon should be rolling on new rubber by Sunday morning. I say Sunday Morning instead of Saturday night because I intend to change the brakes and paint the calipers before installing the new wheels. I figure if I'm going as far as to replace the wheels, I might as well get that stuff done in the process.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now riding on Volvo "Sculptor" wheels with Kumho Ecsta AST 215/45R17s.

Painted the Calipers so they wouldn't stick out so much. BBQ Black, lol.

Still sitting too high it the front, but I've never done suspension work before, so I was a little hesitant to tackle the spings this weekend. Maybe Wednesday...

Now all she needs is the windows tinted, a good buffing and waxing, and a turbo swap and I'll be a very happy man!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-27-2011).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally found a decent picture of the factory Turbo gauge cluster and clock. (except this person has added an A/F gauge)
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
New "Hero" shot:

I'm a firm believer that some part of the previous owner should survive when buying a used vehicle.

Since this license plate frame came with the car:

I decided to expand on that theme:

Not sure if I've posted a picture of the back seat, but it was in WAY better condition then the front:
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ugh... Hadn't been all the way under the car until today... and the results were not good. I'd been under the passenger side a time or two, and it looked good, but this is what I noticed while wheeling the creeper under the driver's side to do my fuel filter this morning:

Yes, its every bit as gnarly as it looks. That black you seek peeking through is carpet...

But, I am not dissuaded. She's mine, I love her, and I'm committed to fixing this.
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ugh... Hadn't been all the way under the car until today... and the results were not good. I'd been under the passenger side a time or two, and it looked good, but this is what I noticed while wheeling the creeper under the driver's side to do my fuel filter this morning:

]
Yes, its every bit as gnarly as it looks. That black you seek peeking through is carpet...

But, I am not dissuaded. She's mine, I love her, and I'm committed to fixing this.

Get some sheet metal, a mig welder (or rivet gun), some seam sealer, a can of undercoating, and a full afternoon and she will be as good as new.

Consider it a bonding experience, no pun intended.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-03-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you change your mind though, I can take it off your hands! (wishful thinking) Just kidding, keep us posted though!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decided to ditch my homemade cluster for a factory "Turbo" cluster (with my gauges installed):

------------------

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing i know about them is you can run them into a solid brick wall and it will cause more damage to the wall than the car... they were built tough.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... its time to fix that broken odometer. Of course, if I going to go to all the trouble of ripping the instrument cluster to pieces, I may as well install a Dave Barton white face kit as well.

Before:

Disassembly:

White faces:

The odometer assembly:

The culprit (disintegrated gear):

New gear:

Put it all back in car the car for a test drive and YAY it works...For exactly 1 mile on the odo, then quits again...

The NEW Culprit (ANOTHER disintegrated gear):

<Sigh> New big gear is now on order, so no odometer this week. But hey, at least my white face gauges look cool. And they match my aux gauges (Which I will be hooking up tomorrow!)

After (for now):

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-23-2011).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so got my big gear from "Odometer Gears" today. No pics but I installed it and now the odometer is spinning along like normal. Sweet! Now I can calculate fuel mileage.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yesterday we went hunting at the boneyard. I scored a 90+ turbo exhaust manifold (better flow) and a smaller coolant reservoir. I was not able to find a decent turbo, or a LH2.4 harness (necessary because the turbo computers I have are from a newer/better engine management system). All in all it was a good day.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So yesterday we went hunting at the boneyard. I scored a 90+ turbo exhaust manifold (better flow) and a smaller coolant reservoir. I was not able to find a decent turbo, or a LH2.4 harness (necessary because the turbo computers I have are from a newer/better engine management system). All in all it was a good day.

Turbo crap huh......You sir may be a very happy person in the following week. I will give my dad a call and get shipping quotes to my door. Why its not the best setup it works and makes power. Just Lags like a MOFO. But you have a auto so you could build boost at stop.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turbo crap huh......You sir may be a very happy person in the following week. I will give my dad a call and get shipping quotes to my door. Why its not the best setup it works and makes power. Just Lags like a MOFO. But you have a auto so you could build boost at stop.

Dude, that would be AWESOME. Almost ready for the +t, the Turbo and the LH2.4 harness are the only things I'm missing now. There was a 15g in a 850 at LKQ (the local u-pull yard) a couple of weeks ago, but when I went back to pull it someone had beat me to it. I might have a 16g lined up, but its my buddy's spare for his S70, so he's a little reluctant to part with it. (He's the guy that's hooked me up on most of my stuff so far. I told him not to give/sell me anything he'll regret later, but he's such a Volvo addict that he can't help fixin' up Volvos, even if they're not his. Plus he's got 240 withdrawals since he upgraded to the S70, so he's just real excited to be working on a 240 again)
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dude, that would be AWESOME. Almost ready for the +t, the Turbo and the LH2.4 harness are the only things I'm missing now. There was a 15g in a 850 at LKQ (the local u-pull yard) a couple of weeks ago, but when I went back to pull it someone had beat me to it. I might have a 16g lined up, but its my buddy's spare for his S70, so he's a little reluctant to part with it. (He's the guy that's hooked me up on most of my stuff so far. I told him not to give/sell me anything he'll regret later, but he's such a Volvo addict that he can't help fixin' up Volvos, even if they're not his. Plus he's got 240 withdrawals since he upgraded to the S70, so he's just real excited to be working on a 240 again)

You ever worked on a s70. Id be happy working on a 240 again too. Even though the CPS is such a PITA. There is a xspower turbo manifold, holset hx35 turbo, greedy BOV, blue top injectors, 2.2 harness and a ECM. I think the BOV still has the duck call taped to it (dont ask, it was funny as hell). The harness is from under the passenger side kick panel to the engine. Some has been cut! Headlights mainly as I had HID's and didnt need them. I also have a few other odds and ends. I will get a shipping quote when my lazy dad wakes up. The 15G is really not a bad turbo. You can dick with them enough to get some power. Correct me if im wrong but the BOV is internal on those things.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New windshield (it was the old windshield leaking that had rotted out the floor. Someone had already attempted, and failed, to seal it):

Resurfaced the yellowed headlight lens:

Before:

After:

Installed a cone air filter, no real performance gain but since I already had it, and the car needed a filter change anyway, I figured why not:

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so last week we finally finished retrofitting the A/C to R134a. It was a couple of weeks in the making with many mistakes, but now its all working great, well, on the highway anyway. It struggles at idle but I think it a small e-fan to blow across the condenser when Idling in traffic would cure that. No pics of the retrofit, because there was nothing to take pictures of. It was all straightforward. There was no R12 left (someone has had the AC hoses apart before, and it appears they never bothered to refill it afterwards) so I flushed the lines, compressor, condenser and evaporator, replaced the receiver/dryer and expansion valve, installed an R134 retrofit fitting kit and filled with R134 and some Ester oil.

Now today was a mixed bag.

I took the Volvo in to have the windows tinted. It was there all day, and when I returned to pick her up, they had only done 4 of the 7 windows. Why you ask? Well, they apparently didn't consider the vehicle's age and that their computer that does the automatic cutting for the tint didn't go back that far. The guy that was doing the tint was comfortable hand-cutting the tint for the windows on the doors, but was not up to cutting the back 3 windows himself. Apparently the boss is a master but he's out until Monday, so they gave me the unfinished job and asked me to come back Monday. I guess in the end its okay, though. I let them talk me in to 30% for the front two windows and 20% for everything else, but after seeing 30 vs 20, I think even the 20 is not quite as dark as I hand in mind. If I had my 'druthers I'd have done 20% on the front doors and rear window and 5% on the 4 other windows. Anyway, as it stands, I can live with what they've done, but I think I want the rear side (cargo) windows to be 5% rather then 20% so at least I can get that corrected now, whereas if they had done it all while I was at work (like they were supposed to) I would have had to live with the 30/20. On with the pics:

20% rear door window and no tint on cargo windows.

After work I went parts hunting at the boneyard. I got a 740 "overheat fan" (Sits in front of the condenser and is supposed to come on only if the vehicle gets too hot - these work great to use to blow air across the condenser, though). Unfortunately after getting the fan home I noticed some severely rotted wiring, so it'll have to go back. Oh well, it turns out with my discount at works I can get a brand new 12" e-fan for only about $15 more, so I think I'll just go that route.

However I did manage to score a 240 center armrest for only $4 and it was even the right color! Yes, $4! (Crazily, these things sell for like $50 on ebay and Turbobricks!)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock