Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The evidence against anthropogenic global warming (Page 56)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 150 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The evidence against anthropogenic global warming by fierobear
Started on: 06-07-2008 02:13 PM
Replies: 5993 (78261 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-23-2024 08:37 AM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick aside. I wonder if flyinfieros will take his hero (Muller's) advice (point #3):

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...ry/p.html?id=2278509

On December 7, President Bill Clinton appeared in Silicon Valley and talked at length about climate change, referring to Berkeley scientist Dr. Richard Muller as "a hero of mine."

In a Fresh Dialogues interview, Muller agreed to share his reaction to the hero worship and answer some climate change questions.

You may recall Dr. Muller, the self-described "former skeptic" who frequently emphasized the fallibility of research on global warming and was funded by the Koch Foundation. Last summer, after thorough research with the Berkeley Earth project, he announced his dramatic conversion in an op-ed in the New York Times. Now he concludes that global warming is happening, and that humans are essentially responsible for all of the warming in the last 250 years.

I happened to be sitting next to Dr. Muller last week, and although he was whisked backstage by some big secret service staffers after Clinton's speech, he agreed to answer a few Fresh Dialogues questions by email about his research and how he feels about hero worship by number 42.

You might be surprised to learn three things about Dr. Muller:
1. He says Hurricane Sandy cannot be attributed to climate change.
2. He suggests individually reducing our carbon footprint is pointless -- we need to "think globally and act globally," by encouraging the switch from coal to gas power in China and developing nations. He's a fan of "clean fracking."
3. He says climate skeptics deserve our respect, not our ridicule.
IP: Logged
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
A semi-aside, although it speaks to the question of the status of peer review on the BEST paper. I still haven't found any evidence that it passed peer review, let alone being cleared for publication, but I did find an article (which quotes one of the REVIEWERS of one of the papers) that indicates it was NOT passed for publication:

Why the BEST papers failed to pass peer review

Whoa, this is heavy. Ross McKitrick, who was a peer review referee for the BEST papers with the Journal of Geophysical Research got fed up with Muller’s media blitzing and tells his story:

excerpts:

In October 2011, despite the papers not being accepted, Richard Muller launched a major international publicity blitz announcing the results of the “BEST” project. I wrote to him and his coauthor Judy Curry objecting to the promotional initiative since the critical comments of people like me were locked up under confidentiality rules, and the papers had not been accepted for publication. Richard stated that he felt there was no alternative since the studies would be picked up by the press anyway. Later, when the journal turned the paper down and asked for major revisions, I sought permission from Richard to release my review. He requested that I post it without indicating I was a reviewer for JGR. Since that was not feasible I simply kept it confidential.

On July 29 2012 Richard Muller launched another publicity blitz (e.g. here and here) claiming, among other things, that “In our papers we demonstrate that none of these potentially troublesome effects [including those related to urbanization and land surface changes] unduly biased our conclusions.” Their failure to provide a proper demonstration of this point had led me to recommend against publishing their paper. This places me in an awkward position since I made an undertaking to JGR to respect the confidentiality of the peer review process, but I have reason to believe Muller et al.’s analysis does not support the conclusions he is now asserting in the press.

I take the journal peer review process seriously and I dislike being placed in the position of having to break a commitment I made to JGR, but the “BEST” team’s decision to launch another publicity blitz effectively nullifies any right they might have had to confidentiality in this matter. So I am herewith releasing my referee reports.

Read it all here

Some backstory via Andrew Revkin from Elizabeth Muller. Revkin asked:

1) What’s the status of the four papers that were submitted last fall (accepted, in review…etc?)

2) There can be perils when publicity precedes peer review. Are you all confident that the time was right to post the papers, including the new one, ahead of review? Presumably this has to do with Tuesday deadline for IPCC eligibility?

Here’s her reply:

All of the articles have been submitted to journals, and we have received substantial journal peer reviews. None of the reviews have indicated any mistakes in the papers; they have instead been primarily suggestions for additions, further citations of the literature. One review had no complaints about the content of the paper, but suggested delaying the publication until the long background paper, describing our methods in detail, was actually published.

In addition to this journal peer review, we have had extensive comments from other scientists based on the more traditional method of peer review: circulation of preprints to other scientists. It is worthwhile remembering that the tradition in science, going back pre World War II, has been to circulate “preprints” of articles that had not yet been accepted by a journal for publication. This was truly “peer” review, and it was very helpful in uncovering errors and assumptions. We have engaged extensively in such peer review. Of course, rather than sending the preprints to all the major science libraries (as was done in the past), we now post them online. Others make use of arXiv. This has proven so effective that in some fields (e.g. string theory) the journalistic review process is avoided altogether, and papers are not submitted to journals. We are not going to that extreme, but rather are taking advantage of the traditional method.

We note that others in the climate community have used this traditional approach with great effectiveness. Jim Hansen, for example, frequently puts his papers online even before they are submitted to journals. Jim has found this method to be very useful and effective, as have we. As Jim is one of the most prominent members of the climate community, and has been doing this for so long, we are surprised that some journalists and scientists think we are departing from the current tradition.

The journal publication process takes time. This fact is especially true when new methods of analysis are introduced. We will be posting revised versions of 3 of the 4 papers previously posted later today (the 4th paper has not changed significantly). The core content of the papers is still the same, though the organization and detail has changed a fair amount.

The new paper, which we informally call the “Results” paper, has also undergone journal peer review (and none of the review required changing our results). We are posting it online today as a preprint, because we also want to invite comments and suggestions from the larger scientific community.

I believe the findings in our papers are too important to wait for the year or longer that it could take to complete the journal review process. We believe in traditional peer review; we welcome feedback the public and any scientists who are interested in taking the time to make thoughtful comments. Indeed, with the first 4 papers submitted, many of the best comments came from the broader scientific community. Our papers have received scrutiny by dozens of top scientists, not just the two or three that typically are called upon by journalists.
FlyinFieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:
Given the fact that the BEST study is, at best, IN peer review (but there's no sign that peer review is completed), and it isn't PUBLISHED, then the study hasn't actually proven anything. How about you get back to us AFTER it passes peer review AND AFTER it has been published?

Just another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

You already have trouble meeting the standards you set in your first post for scientific papers and sources. Are you sure you want to raise that bar even further? This paper that you cited here and here is not peer reviewed and is not published. Even if the Watts paper was peer reviewed and published, it's still written by a biased college drop out where as the BEST scientists are actual scientists.

The fact the BEST study is still making its way through the publication process does not invalidate any of the study. In fact it's quite the opposite. The approach used by Muller was smart because he forced all the skeptics to raise issues with the paper before it was published. There is zero indication of identifiable fallacy in the BEST papers. The fact you have issues with BEST being so open is contradictory to your conspiracy theory of scientists colluding worldwide to fake man made global warming.

The BEST study has "received substantial journal peer review" according to Elizabeth Muller in your own article.

Also according to your own article "none of the reviews have indicated any mistakes in the papers."

First of all, those posts weren't for you. This thread isn't all about you, and it is not all about BEST. Get over yourself.

Really? You quoted my post and replied to me. Pardon me for assuming a reply to my post was meant for me. But I understand why you're trying to salvage your reputation around here after this thread.

That is a complete and total LIE. I have made SEVERAL posts on BEST. The fact that you'd say that calls into question your honesty, if not your reading comprehension or attention span. It isn't the first time you've said something that is completely false.

You've posted a lot of outdated debunked information or conspiracy theory nonsense. That's it.

A quick aside. I wonder if flyinfieros will take his hero (Muller's) advice (point #3):

You're not a skeptic. You're a Denier. There's a major difference.

Skeptics are willing to admit they themselves might be wrong. You'd have an aneurism if you did that. Science is skeptical about CO2. They're ONLY 95% sure CO2 from human emissions is causing the warming trend. You are 0% sure CO2 from human emissions is causing the warming trend and you base that decision on absolutely nothing.

A semi-aside, although it speaks to the question of the status of peer review on the BEST paper. I still haven't found any evidence that it passed peer review, let alone being cleared for publication, but I did find an article (which quotes one of the REVIEWERS of one of the papers) that indicates it was NOT passed for publication:

Your own article says it has a journal peer review.

The BEST study still stands. You've got nothing.

Temperatures the last 17 years:

Source.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are repeating yourself, you are engaging in nothing more than pedantic rants, and you're being insulting. You REALLY expect me to answer you?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Just a few points:

The fact the BEST study is still making its way through the publication process does not invalidate any of the study.

But it DOESN'T VALIDATE IT, either. Wow, is this REALLY that difficult for you to understand? You call me a "denier", yet your obsession with this paper is borderline psychosis.

In fact it's quite the opposite. The approach used by Muller was smart because he forced all the skeptics to raise issues with the paper before it was published.

No, he was roundly criticized by even his warmist peers for what he did. Your defense of his inappropriate actions is quite telling.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are repeating yourself, you are engaging in nothing more than pedantic rants, and you're being insulting. You REALLY expect me to answer you?

I expect you to ignore the bulk of my post just like that and quote a news article with some conspiracy theory argument.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really? You quoted my post and replied to me. Pardon me for assuming a reply to my post was meant for me. But I understand why you're trying to salvage your reputation around here after this thread.

No, in the sidebar posts I quoted newf. You really are having comprehension problems.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:
I expect you to ignore the bulk of my post just like that and quote a news article with some conspiracy theory argument.

I expect you to keep repeating yourself, be insulting, and ignore what I actually post, rather than taking the time to read and understand what I really post.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Wait...your "source" for this is a BLOG POST? So, you violate the rules you claim I establish AND you violate the rules that YOU'RE trying to establish?

Temperatures the last 17 years:

Source.

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But it DOESN'T VALIDATE IT, either. Wow, is this REALLY that difficult for you to understand? You call me a "denier", yet your obsession with this paper is borderline psychosis.

The study is valid because it lacks error. Is that hard for you to understand? A paper doesn't become "valid" through the act of publishing. It was valid when it was written.

Keep trying to spin reality though.

No, he was roundly criticized by even his warmist peers for what he did. Your defense of his inappropriate actions is quite telling.

He was criticized because his methods gave people like you a toehold to gripe about. I see it as a benefit though. He addressed all of the knee jerk reactions he was going to get anyway before it was published. Your only complaint against the BEST study is that it is "not published" yet. So what will you and other Deniers say when it's published? Time will tell.

No, in the sidebar posts I quoted newf. You really are having comprehension problems.

Not one bit. You quoted me and replied in this post, but claim "those posts weren't for me."

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 12-13-2012).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not one bit. You quoted me and replied in this post, but claim "those posts weren't for me."

That wasn't the post I was talking about.

PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

The study is valid because it lacks error. Is that hard for you to understand? A paper doesn't become "valid" through the act of publishing. It was valid when it was written.

Now you are walking back the standard that you tried to place on me. Why am I bothering to try to have a discussion with you if you keep moving the bar?

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait...your "source" for this is a BLOG POST? So, you violate the rules you claim I establish AND you violate the rules that YOU'RE trying to establish?

Is the author a college drop out posting for political reasons? No, she's an actual scientist? Ok, next.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the author a college drop out posting for political reasons? No, she's an actual scientist? Ok, next.

Wow. Another misdirection to try to draw attention away from your obvious failure of your OWN double standard.

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow. Another misdiction to try to draw attention away from your obvious failure of your OWN double standard.

It's relevant objective assessment. I quote scientific studies and scientists. You quote news articles and college drop outs. Haven't you got any better sources?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's relevant objective assessment. I quote scientific studies and scientists. You quote news articles and college drop outs. Haven't you got any better sources?

LOL. Riiiight.

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BEST study appears legitimate. I haven't seen an equivalent study that disproves CO2 global warming (or at least not posted in this thread).

If one exists, then why not post it here? Isn't that the bottom line, having scientific evidence to back up your theories?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you don't apparrently like me quoting you and pointing out your obvious errors, I have deleted my post so you can continue to be looking like the hero.

You don't have to type all that out every time. You can just post "incoherent ramblings of highly unsubstantiated conjecture" and I'll know what you meant.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-14-2012).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to type all that out every time. You can just post "incoherent ramblings of highly unsubstantiated conjecture" and I'll know what you meant.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting new study shows that previous warm periods were warmer than today, and that there appears to be a long term cooling trend...

Climate in northern Europe reconstructed for the past 2,000 years: Cooling trend calculated precisely for the first time

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

The BEST study appears legitimate. I haven't seen an equivalent study that disproves CO2 global warming (or at least not posted in this thread).

If one exists, then why not post it here? Isn't that the bottom line, having scientific evidence to back up your theories?

One only has to look for the other studies/published papers - the problem is the world is saturated by those that say it is:

Current study/opinion as of a published date in May of this year:

presentation here (shows the charts): http://www.efdgroup.eu/imag...RGY%20BILLS%20IT.pdf

Published book: http://www.goodreads.com/bo...warming-for-dim-wits
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting new study shows that previous warm periods were warmer than today, and that there appears to be a long term cooling trend...

Climate in northern Europe reconstructed for the past 2,000 years: Cooling trend calculated precisely for the first time

ya know, if you start that graph 300 years later, it would show a warming trend. starting at a thick "high point" skews the average.
and, is only summer data.
but - until you can actually explain the fluctutation - what is it telling you?
waiting to hear the famous "its cyclical". well - what is? if it is cyclical, what are the cycles?
and from there you'll hear all kinds of good sounding BS.
orbits? what are the orbits. actually know the orbits? or just sounds good & makes great BS most cant question on the spot.
solar cycles. what they, 11 years or so? your graph cycles are 1000 years.
what is your 1000 year cycle? my guess is the Jesus Millennium Warming.
The great warmth of his heart warming the earth roughly every millenium.
or, since Prophet Mohammed offsets Jesus by roughly 500 years - maybe the cooling cycle is the cold harshness of Mohammed's millennial birth...
or, what is the cycle (or cycles) you are suggesting? how about the ocean currents? them sure seem to be high on the list of impactful stuff. whats with the ocean current cycles? in fact - what ARE the ocean current cycles?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

ya know, if you start that graph 300 years later, it would show a warming trend. starting at a thick "high point" skews the average.
and, is only summer data.
but - until you can actually explain the fluctutation - what is it telling you?
waiting to hear the famous "its cyclical". well - what is? if it is cyclical, what are the cycles?
and from there you'll hear all kinds of good sounding BS.
orbits? what are the orbits. actually know the orbits? or just sounds good & makes great BS most cant question on the spot.
solar cycles. what they, 11 years or so? your graph cycles are 1000 years.
what is your 1000 year cycle? my guess is the Jesus Millennium Warming.
The great warmth of his heart warming the earth roughly every millenium.
or, since Prophet Mohammed offsets Jesus by roughly 500 years - maybe the cooling cycle is the cold harshness of Mohammed's millennial birth...
or, what is the cycle (or cycles) you are suggesting? how about the ocean currents? them sure seem to be high on the list of impactful stuff. whats with the ocean current cycles? in fact - what ARE the ocean current cycles?

Starting the graph 300 years later is what some people around here are calling cherry picking the data.

AND, if we what to talk about solar cycles - "global warming" has/is occurring on other planets in the solar system as well (NASA/others have published data on this), but I guess man is to blame for those as well? Could not those same forces be acting upon the earth as well?

here is 1 example:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/od...eases/20031208a.html

edit: to add, looking at my local weather site they provide this nice chart that shows daily forecasted temperatures and the 30 year average historic temperature - funny how the daily forecasted is lower by a few °C than the 30 year average (so much for a "warming trend" )? Oh and that nice hockey stick that they are showing at the end, willing to bet you that those temperatures don't happen.

By the way, this graph is typically what you see all year long, very rarely does the temperature actually get above the 30 year average.
http://www.theweathernetwor...ref=tabs_14day_graph

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-14-2012).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BREAKING NEWS

A draft of the 5th assessment report (AR5) from the IPCC was recently leaked...and the news isn't good for the warmists.

Look at the graph

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
More bombshell admissions on how wrong the warmists are:

IPCC AR5 draft leaked, contains game-changing admission of enhanced solar forcing – as well as a lack of warming to match model projections, and reversal on ‘extreme weather’
http://wattsupwiththat.com/...anced-solar-forcing/

Note the divergence of actual temperature from their computer models

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 12-15-2012).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Interesting, on the heels of the IPCC leak about solar forcing...

New paper by Scafetta finds the 'most convincing evidence for a sun-climate connection'
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Mostly commentary:

Man-made global warming: even the IPCC admits the jig is up

Breaking news from the US – h/t Watts Up With That? – where a leaked draft of the IPCC's latest report AR5 admits what some of us have suspected for a very long time: that the case for man-made global warming is looking weaker by the day and that the sun plays a much more significant role in "climate change" than the scientific "consensus" has previously been prepared to concede.

Here's the killer admission:

Many empirical relationships have been reported between GCR or cosmogenic isotope archives and some aspects of the climate system (e.g., Bond et al., 2001; Dengel et al., 2009; Ram and Stolz, 1999). The forcing from changes in total solar irradiance alone does not seem to account for these observations, implying the existence of an amplifying mechanism such as the hypothesized GCR-cloud link. We focus here on observed relationships between GCR and aerosol and cloud properties.

As the leaker explains, this is a game-changer:

The admission of strong evidence for enhanced solar forcing changes everything. The climate alarmists can’t continue to claim that warming was almost entirely due to human activity over a period when solar warming effects, now acknowledged to be important, were at a maximum. The final draft of AR5 WG1 is not scheduled to be released for another year but the public needs to know now how the main premises and conclusions of the IPCC story line have been undercut by the IPCC itself.

Over to you greentards. I look forward to reading your extravagant apologias as to why this is a story of no significance and that it's business as usual for the great Climate Change Ponzi scheme.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Hey, warmists, you might be able to stop panicking about Greenland ice loss and sea level rise now:

New science upsets calculations on sea level rise, climate change
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

fierobear, what causes the difference in those two graphs shown above?

The author of the "study" being less than honest.

This single exchange speaks volumes!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-15-2012).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2012 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Breaking news from the US – h/t Watts Up With That? –

You forgot to follow up on your false story that was completely debunked over the weekend. Actual scientists have chimed in with reality to combat the latest crazy climate conspiracy being perpetuated by political bloggers.

I'm sure it will surprise no one to learn the Denier's are cherry picking a sentence and misrepresenting it to mean the opposite of what the author intended:

But Professor Sherwood is scornful of the idea that the chapter he helped write confirms a greater role for solar and other cosmic rays in global warming.

STEVE SHERWOOD: Oh that's completely ridiculous. I'm sure you could go and read those paragraphs yourself and the summary of it and see that we conclude exactly the opposite, that this cosmic ray effect that the paragraph is discussing appears to be negligible.

MARK COLVIN: They're saying that it is the first indication that the IPCC recognises something called solar forcing.

STEVE SHERWOOD: It's not the first time it recognises it. What it shows is that we looked at this. We look at everything. The IPCC has a very comprehensive process where we try to look at all the influences on climate and so we looked at this one.
Source.

IPCC Draft Report Leaked, Shows Global Warming is NOT Due to the Sun

The Skeptical Science article highlights how poorly the climate Deniers understand their own argument. Climate Deniers are claiming the galatic cosmic rays are causing the warming, however if GCR's were actually influencing Earth's temperature they would currently be causing a cooling effect, not warming.

If you actually read report it addresses the 'game changing admission':
"...there is medium evidence and high agreement that the cosmic ray-ionization mechanism is too weak to influence global concentrations of [cloud condensation nuclei] or their change over the last century or during a solar cycle in any climatically significant way."

Reality:

Source.

Just another example of how Anthony Watts' blog is unreliable. Which is what you would expect from a college drop out. How about citing some scientific sources?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You forgot to follow up on your false story that was completely debunked over the weekend. Actual scientists have chimed in with reality to combat the latest crazy climate conspiracy being perpetuated by political bloggers.

LOL

No, I didn't forget. First of all, I didn't turn my computer on all weekend (well, at least since Saturday morning). It is pretty much impossible to do a proper response (copying and editing) using my smart phone. Also, the rebuttal to Sherwood was posted yesterday. Second, it was NOT "completely debunked" (answered next). Third point, you make the classic mistake of pointing to Anthony Watts to try to discredit this whole thing while ignoring the fact that he is simply repeating/posting the charges of Alec Rawls, an IPCC REVIEWER who leaked the draft of AR5, because he couldn't stand the scientific dishonesty he was witnessing. You seem to like to keep repeating mistakes like that (ad homenim fallacy).

I'm sure it will surprise no one to learn the Denier's are cherry picking a sentence and misrepresenting it to mean the opposite of what the author intended:

WRONG. You are quoting a scientist who is saying "You can believe I am right because I say I am right".

Here are some terms defined, for those not familiar

TSI - Total Solar Irradiance
FOD - First order draft of an IPCC report
SOD - Second order draft

Now, here's Rawls' response to Sherwood's rebuttal:

My leak of the draft IPCC report emphasized the chapter 7 admission of strong evidence for solar forcing beyond the very slight variance in solar irradiance, even if we don’t know the mechanism:

The forcing from changes in total solar irradiance alone does not seem to account for these observations, implying the existence of an amplifying mechanism such as the hypothesized GCR-cloud link.

One of the fifteen lead authors of chapter 7 responded that the evidence for one of the proposed mechanisms of solar amplification, GCR-cloud, indicates a weak effect, and proceeded as if this obviated the IPCC’s admission that some such mechanism must be having a substantial effect:

[Professor Steven Sherwood] says the idea that the chapter he authored confirms a greater role for solar and other cosmic rays in global warming is “ridiculous”.

“I’m sure you could go and read those paragraphs yourself and the summary of it and see that we conclude exactly the opposite – that this cosmic ray effect that the paragraph is discussing appears to be negligible,” he told PM.

Sherwood uses theory—his dissatisfaction with one theory of how solar amplification might work—to ignore the (admitted) evidence for some mechanism of solar amplification. Putting theory over evidence is not science. It is the exact definitional opposite of science (see Feynman snippet above).

Since Sherwood is Australian, it seemed a visit Down Under was due, so Jo Nova and I teamed up to issue a reply on her website.

Jo knows Sherwood

Here is Jo Nova’s take on Sherwood’s shenanigans:

The IPCC are now adding citations of critics (so they can’t be accused of ignoring them completely), but they bury the importance of those studies under glorious graphic art, ponderous bureacrat-speak, and contradictory conclusions.

When skeptics point out that the IPCC admit (in a hidden draft) that the solar magnetic effect could change the climate on Earth, the so-called Professors of Science hit back — but not with evidence from the atmosphere, but with evidence from other paragraphs in a committee report. It’s argument from authority, it’s a logical fallacy that no Professor of Science should ever make. Just because other parts of a biased committee report continue to deny the evidence does not neutralize the real evidence.

Alec Rawls pulls him up. Sherwood calls us deniers, but the IPCC still denies solar-magnetic effects that have been known for 200 years. This anti-science response is no surprise from Sherwood, who once changed the colour of “zero” to red to make it match the color the models were supposed to find. (Since when was red the color of no-warming? Sure you can do it, but it is deceptive.) That effort still remains one of the most egregious peer reviewed distortions of science I have ever seen. — Jo

Earlier this week Nova posted about Sherwood’s glowing support for recent claims that the IPCC’s predictions of global warming have been accurate. Obviously Sherwood needs to take a closer look at the Second Order Draft which, in particular the following graph (SOD figure 1.4 on page 1-39, with a hat tip to Anthony):

[repeat of the graphic of the models versus reality]

Absolutely NOT falsified says Sherwood, but guess what he thinks IS falsified?

Steve Sherwood, Co-Director, Climate Change Research Centre at the University of New South Wales said the paper showed “that if you take natural year-to-year variability into account in any reasonable way, the predictions are as close as one could reasonably expect.”

“Those who have been claiming ad nauseum that the climate models have been proved wrong, should read this paper, even though for most of us it is not very surprising,” said Dr Sherwood, who was not involved in the Nature Climate Change paper.

“Though there is no contrarian analogue to the IPCC, individual contrarians have made predictions over a similar time frame that the warming would stop or reverse. The data since then have probably falsified many of those predictions (which the deniers continue to make today).”

Predictions that warming would stop have been falsified? By what? By the fact that, according to HadCRUT4, there has been no statistically significant warming for 16 years? Falsification in Steve Sherwood’s dictionary: “whatever preserves Steve Sherwood’s presumptions.” Just what we’d expect from a definitional anti-scientist.

My own response to Sherwood gets into the back-story on the Second Order Draft. Readers might be interested to know that the SOD admission of substantial evidence for solar amplification seems to be in response to my submitted comments on the FOD. I had charged them with, you guessed it, inverting the scientific method. That’s why Sherwood, in pretending that the new admission never happened, is also inverting the scientific method. He’s reverting to the FOD position. Well, some of his co-authors are apparently not willing to go there any more, and hopefully they will speak out.

My guest post at Jo Nova’s:

Professor Steven Sherwood inverts the scientific method: he is an exact definitional anti-scientist

My submitted comments on the First Order Draft of AR5 accused the IPCC of committing what in statistics is called “omitted variable fraud.” As I titled my post on the subject: “Vast evidence for solar climate driver rates one oblique sentence in AR5.”

How vast is the evidence? Dozens of studies have found between a .4 and .7 degree of correlation between solar activity and various climate indices going back many thousands of years, meaning that solar activity “explains” in the statistical sense something like half of all past temperature change (citations at the link above).

Solar activity was at “grand maximum” levels from 1920 to 2000 (Usoskin 2007). Might this explain a substantial part of the unexceptional warming of the 20th century? Note also that, with the sun having since dropped into a state of profound quiescence, the solar-warming theory can also explain the lack of 21st century warming while the CO2-warming theory cannot.

Now take a look the radiative forcing table from any one of the IPCC reports, where the explanatory variables that get included in the IPCC computer models are laid out. You will see that the only solar forcing effect listed is “solar irradiance.” In AR5 this table is on page 8-39:

link: http://jonova.s3.amazonaws....-components-only.gif

Why is the solar irradiance effect so tiny? Note that Total Solar Irradiance, or TSI, is also known as “the solar constant.” When solar activity ramps up and down from throwing wild solar flares to sleeping like a baby, TSI hardly varies a whit. That’s where the name comes from. While solar activity varies tremendously, solar irradiance remains almost constant.

This slight change in the solar radiation that shines on our planet is known to be too small an energy variation to explain any substantial change in temperature. In particular, it can’t begin to account for anything near to half of all past temperature change. It can’t begin to account for the large solar effect on climate that is evidenced in the geologic record.

Implication: some other solar effect besides TSI must also be at work. One of the solar variables that does vary when solar activity ramps up and down, like solar wind pressure, must be having some effect on climate, and this is certainly plausible. We in-effect live inside of the sun’s extended corona. When the solar wind is going full blast the earth’s immediate external environment is rather different than when the solar wind is down, and even if we don’t know the mechanism, we have powerful evidence that some solar effect other than the slight variation in TSI is driving global temperature.

This is what the IPCC admits in the Second Order Draft of AR5, which now includes the sentence in bold below (page 7-43, lines 1-4, emphasis added):

Many empirical relationships have been reported between GCR or cosmogenic isotope archives and some aspects of the climate system (e.g., Bond et al., 2001; Dengel et al., 2009; Ram and Stolz, 1999). The forcing from changes in total solar irradiance alone does not seem to account for these observations, implying the existence of an amplifying mechanism such as the hypothesized GCR-cloud link. We focus here on observed relationships between GCR and aerosol and cloud properties.

Sherwood’s response is to consider only one possible mechanism of solar amplification. He looks at the evidence for Henrik Svensmark’s proposed GCR-cloud mechanism and judges that the forcing effect from this particular mechanism would be small, then concludes that a greater role for the sun in global warming is “ridiculous.”

Hey Sherwood, read the added sentence again. It says that the evidence implies the existence of “an amplifying mechanism.” Presenting an argument against a particular possible mechanism does not in any way counter the report’s new admission that some such mechanism must be at work. (Guess he didn’t author that sentence eh? Since he doesn’t even know what it says.)

Sherwood is trying to use theory—his dissatisfaction with a particular theory of how solar amplification might work—to dismiss the evidence that some mechanism of solar amplification must be at work. The bad professor is inverting the scientific method, which requires that evidence always trump theory. If evidence gives way to theory it is not science. It is anti-science. It is the exact opposite of science.

The new sentence was added specifically to avoid the criticism that the authors were inverting the scientific method

My submitted comments on the First Order Draft ripped the authors up and down for inverting the scientific method. They were all doing what Sherwood is doing now. Here is the same passage from the FOD. It lacks the added sentence, but otherwise is almost identical (FOD page 7-50, lines 50-53):

“Many empirical relationships or correlations have been reported between GCR or cosmogenic isotope archives and some aspects of the climate system, such as SSTs in the Pacific Ocean (Meehl et al., 2009), some reconstruction of past climate (Kirkby, 2007) or tree rings (Dengel et al., 2009). We focus here on observed relationships between GCR and aerosol- and cloud-properties.”

The first sentence here, citing unspecified “empirical relationships” between cosmogenic isotopes (a proxy for solar activity) and “some aspects of the climate system” is the only reference in the entire report to the massive evidence for a solar driver of climate. Not a word about the magnitude of the correlations found, nothing about how these correlations are much too strong to possibly be explained by the slight variance in solar irradiance alone, and almost nothing (“many”) about the sheer volume of studies that have found these correlations. And that’s it: one oblique sentence, then the report jumps immediately to looking at the evidence for one proposed mechanism by which solar amplification might be occurring.

The evidence for that particular mechanism is judged (very prematurely) to indicate a weak effect, and this becomes the implicit rationale for the failure of the IPCC’s computer models to include any solar variable but TSI. Readers of the FOD have no idea about the mountain of evidence for some solar driver of climate that is stronger than TSI because the report never mentions it. A couple of the citations that were included mention it (in particular, Kirkby 2007, which is a survey paper), but the report itself never mentions it, and the report then goes on to ignore this evidence entirely. The enhanced solar forcing effect for which there is so much evidence is completely left out of all subsequent analyses.

In other words, the inversion of the scientific method is total. In the FOD, the authors used their dissatisfaction with the GCR-cloud theory as an excuse for completely excluding the vast evidence that some mechanism of enhanced solar forcing is at work. Theory was allowed to completely obliterate and remove a whole mountain of evidence. “Pure definitional anti-science,” I charged.

At least one of the co-authors seems to have decided that this was a bridge too far and added the sentence acknowledging the evidence that some mechanism of solar amplification must be at work. The added sentence declares in-effect, “no, we are not inverting the scientific method.” They are no longer using their dissatisfaction with a particular theory of how enhanced solar forcing might work as a ruse to pretend that the evidence for some such mechanism does not exist.

So good for them. In the sea of IPCC dishonesty there is a glimmer of honesty, but it doesn’t go very far. TSI is still the only solar effect that is included in the “consensus” computer models and the IPCC still uses this garbage-in claim to arrive at their garbage-out conclusion that observed warming must be almost entirely due to the human release of CO2.

One of the reason I decided to release the SOD was because I knew that once the Steven Sherwoods at the IPCC realized how the added sentence undercut the whole report they would yank it back out, and my submitted comments insured that they would indeed realize how the added sentence undercut the whole report. Now sure enough, as soon as I make the added sentence public Steven Sherwood publicly reverts to the FOD position, trying to pretend that his argument against one proposed mechanism of solar amplification means that we can safely ignore the overwhelming evidence that some such mechanism is at work.

We’ll find out in a year or so whether his co-authors are willing to go along with this definitional anti-science. Evidently there is at least some division. With Sherwood speaking up for the FOD position, any co-authors who prefer the new position should feel free to speak up as well. Come on real scientists, throw this blowhard under the bus!

In any case, it is good to have all of them stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can invert the scientific method and be exact definitional anti-scientists like Steven Sherwood, or they can admit that no one can have any confidence in the results of computer models where the only solar forcing is TSI, not after they have admitted strong evidence for some mechanism of solar forcing beyond TSI. That admission is a game changer, however much Sherwood wants to deny it.

He piles on with more of the same at the ridiculous “DeSmog Blog” (as if CO2 is “smog”), and is quoted front and center by the even more ridiculous Andrew Sullivan. Sherwood has become the go-to guy for the anti-science left.

The two dozen references documenting strong correlations between solar activity and various climate indicies

Jo wanted to include references so I sent along the list of citations that I had included in my FOD comment. Worth seeing again I think:

Bond et al. 2001, “Persistent Solar Influence on North Atlantic Climate During the Holocene,” Science.

Excerpt from Bond: “Over the last 12,000 years virtually every centennial time scale increase in drift ice documented in our North Atlantic records was tied to a distinct interval of variable and, overall, reduced solar output.”

Neff et al. 2001, “Strong coherence between solar variability and the monsoon in Oman between 9 and 6 kyr ago,” Nature.

Finding from Neff: Correlation coefficients of .55 and .60.

Usoskin et. al. 2005, “Solar Activity Over the Last 1150 years: does it Correlate with Climate?” Proc. 13th Cool Stars Workshop.

Excerpt from Usoskin: “The long term trends in solar data and in northern hemisphere temperatures have a correlation coefficient of about 0.7 — .8 at a 94% — 98% confidence level.”

Shaviv and Veizer, 2003, “Celestial driver of Phanerozoic climate?” GSA Today.

Excerpt from Shaviv: “We find that at least 66% of the variance in the paleotemperature trend could be attributed to CRF [Cosmic Ray Flux] variations likely due to solar system passages through the spiral arms of the galaxy.” [Not strictly due to solar activity, but implicating the GCR, or CRF, that solar activity modulates.]

Plenty of anti-CO2 alarmists know about this stuff. Mike Lockwood and Claus Fröhlich, for instance, in their 2007 paper: “Recent oppositely directed trends in solar climate forcings and the global mean surface air temperature” (Proc. R. Soc. A), began by documenting how “[a] number of studies have indicated that solar variations had an effect on preindustrial climate throughout the Holocene.” In support, they cited 17 papers, the Bond and Neff articles from above, plus:

Davis & Shafer 1992; Jirikowic et al. 1993; Davis 1994; vanGeel et al. 1998; Yu&Ito 1999; Hu et al. 2003; Sarnthein et al. 2003; Christla et al. 2004; Prasad et al. 2004; Wei & Wang 2004; Maasch et al. 2005; Mayewski et al. 2005; Wang et al. 2005a; Bard & Frank 2006; and Polissar et al. 2006.

The correlations in most of these papers are not directly to temperature. They are to temperature proxies, some of which have a complex relationship with temperature, like Neff 2001, which found a correlation between solar activity and rainfall. Even so, the correlations tend to be strong, as if the whole gyre is somehow moving in broad synchrony with solar activity.

Some studies do examine correlations between solar activity proxies and direct temperature proxies, like the ratio of Oxygen18 to Oxygen16 in geologic samples. One such study (highlighted in Kirkby 2007) is Mangini et. al. 2005, “Reconstruction of temperature in the Central Alps during the past 2000 yr from a δ18O stalagmite record.”

Excerpt from Mangini: “… a high correlation between δ18O in SPA 12 and D14C (r =0.61). The maxima of δ18O coincide with solar minima (Dalton, Maunder, Sporer, Wolf, as well as with minima at around AD 700, 500 and 300). This correlation indicates that the variability of δ18O is driven by solar changes, in agreement with previous results on Holocene stalagmites from Oman, and from Central Germany.”

And that’s just old stuff. Here are four random recent papers.

Ogurtsov et al, 2010, “Variations in tree ring stable isotope records from northern Finland and their possible connection to solar activity,” JASTP.

Excerpt from Ogurtsov: “Statistical analysis of the carbon and oxygen stable isotope records reveals variations in the periods around 100, 11 and 3 years. A century scale connection between the 13C/12C record and solar activity is most evident.”

Di Rita, 2011, “A possible solar pacemaker for Holocene fluctuations of a salt-marsh in southern Italy,” Quaternary International.

Excerpt from Di Rita: “The chronological correspondence between the ages of saltmarsh vegetation reductions and the minimum concentration values of 10Be in the GISP2 ice core supports the hypothesis that important fluctuations in the extent of the salt-marsh in the coastal Tavoliere plain are related to variations of solar activity.”

Raspopov et al, 2011, “Variations in climate parameters at time intervals from hundreds to tens of millions of years in the past and its relation to solar activity,” JASTP.

Excerpt from Raspopov: “Our analysis of 200-year climatic oscillations in modern times and also data of other researchers referred to above suggest that these climatic oscillations can be attributed to solar forcing. The results obtained in our study for climatic variations millions of years ago indicate, in our opinion, that the 200- year solar cycle exerted a strong influence on climate parameters at those time intervals as well.”

Tan et al, 2011, “Climate patterns in north central China during the last 1800 yr and their possible driving force,” Clim. Past.

Excerpt from Tan: “Solar activity may be the dominant force that drove the same-phase variations of the temperature and precipitation in north central China.”

Saltmarshes, precipitation, “oscillations.” It’s all so science-fair. How about something just plain scary?

Solheim et al. 2011, “The long sunspot cycle 23 predicts a significant temperature decrease in cycle 24,” submitted astro-ph.

Excerpt from Solheim: “We find that for the Norwegian local stations investigated that 30-90% of the temperature increase in this period may be attributed to the Sun. For the average of 60 European stations we find ≈ 60% and globally (HadCRUT3) ≈ 50%. The same relations predict a temperature decrease of ≈ 0.9°C globally and 1.1−1.7°C for the Norwegian stations investigated from solar cycle 23 to 24.”

Those two dozen there are just the start. Scafetta hasn’t even been mentioned. (Sorry Nicola.) But there is a lot in those 24.
PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was debunked completely. Denier's are blowing a single cherry picked sentence out of proportion because they lack the capacity to understand the context.

"To add a bit of context, the paragraph you cite is under the heading “Correlations Between Cosmic Rays and Properties of Aerosols and Clouds”. When it says “the forcing from changes in total solar irradiance alone does not seem to account for these observations” is it referring to changes in clouds and aerosols, not temperature as some people seem to be assuming. The subsequent four paragraphs proceed to argue that there is no, in fact, evidence of a link between GCRs and temperatures. While this is a rather clever cherry-pick, I really would suggest reading it in context if you want to be taken seriously."
Source.

Virtually all scientific evidence shows GCR's have little to no effect of Earth's temperature and they are not effective at seeding clouds. In fact if GCR's were effecting the climate they would be cooling the planet. The Denier's claim the warming is due to GCR's, demonstrating their complete lack of scientific understanding. How embarrassing.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 12-17-2012).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was debunked completely. Denier's are blowing a single cherry picked sentence out of proportion because they lack the capacity to understand the context.

No, it was NOT. You are just repeating yourself.

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2012 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, it was NOT.

There's no debating this. If you're a realist it was obviously debunked. You're spreading disinformation, not evidence. This is hype and BS, two things you said you were going to avoid.

Once again I will highlight the fallacy of your already debunked argument. The sentence comes from a section discussing correlations between cosmic rays and aerosols and clouds, not temperature. The four paragraphs after discuss the fact there's zero evidence of a link between GCRs and temperatures. Denialists pulled that one sentence out and printed a story saying "IPCC admits link between solar forcing and temperature" despite the four paragraphs after the sentence discussing there's no evidence of a link between GCRs and temperatures.

That is not the only fatal flaw in their argument. In spectacular failure, current scientific evidence demonstrates even if GCRs effected the planet, the planet would be cooling from GCRs, not warming. Denialists should actually be arguing "amplified cooling" instead of "amplified warming" - demonstrating their lack of scientific knowledge of their own argument. In summary, Deniers: "Global warming is being caused by cooling!" See how little sense that makes?

What's sad is people desperate for the latest unsubstantiated "scoop" on man made global warming believe every Denialist word without any skepticism. This is what makes a Denier, instead of a skeptic. They're not skeptical even of their own arguments and do not bother trying to verify them. Nope, they read it on a blog ran by a college drop out, Anythony Watts, why should they try to verify any of the information? As if a college drop out has a lot of scientific integrity to maintain.

This is just the Denier's scrambling for a "new" cause for global warming after being debunked so many times. It comes as no surprise Deniers have given up on finding a cause on Earth and are looking for an alien reason. The final form of their crazy conspiracy theory is now complete. Alien warming. Wow.

You are just repeating yourself.

Not in the least. I'm well aware of your Denialist knee jerk reactions that come from being confronted with a reality that clashes with your crazy conspiracy theories.

You have a documented history of clinging to debunked arguments like the "R squared correlation" despite being shown the obvious logical errors of your ways not once - not twice - not even three times - or four times - but FIVE TIMES.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 12-18-2012).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have a documented history of clinging to debunked arguments like the "R squared correlation" despite being shown the obvious logical errors of your ways not once - not twice - not even three times - or four times - but FIVE TIMES.

I said you just repeat yourself, and you give me FIVE EXAMPLES of you repeating yourself.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

current scientific evidence

It appears you missed these in your redirection...

The two dozen references documenting strong correlations between solar activity and various climate indicies

Jo wanted to include references so I sent along the list of citations that I had included in my FOD comment. Worth seeing again I think:

Bond et al. 2001, “Persistent Solar Influence on North Atlantic Climate During the Holocene,” Science.

Excerpt from Bond: “Over the last 12,000 years virtually every centennial time scale increase in drift ice documented in our North Atlantic records was tied to a distinct interval of variable and, overall, reduced solar output.”

Neff et al. 2001, “Strong coherence between solar variability and the monsoon in Oman between 9 and 6 kyr ago,” Nature.

Finding from Neff: Correlation coefficients of .55 and .60.

Usoskin et. al. 2005, “Solar Activity Over the Last 1150 years: does it Correlate with Climate?” Proc. 13th Cool Stars Workshop.

Excerpt from Usoskin: “The long term trends in solar data and in northern hemisphere temperatures have a correlation coefficient of about 0.7 — .8 at a 94% — 98% confidence level.”

Shaviv and Veizer, 2003, “Celestial driver of Phanerozoic climate?” GSA Today.

Excerpt from Shaviv: “We find that at least 66% of the variance in the paleotemperature trend could be attributed to CRF [Cosmic Ray Flux] variations likely due to solar system passages through the spiral arms of the galaxy.” [Not strictly due to solar activity, but implicating the GCR, or CRF, that solar activity modulates.]

Plenty of anti-CO2 alarmists know about this stuff. Mike Lockwood and Claus Fröhlich, for instance, in their 2007 paper: “Recent oppositely directed trends in solar climate forcings and the global mean surface air temperature” (Proc. R. Soc. A), began by documenting how “[a] number of studies have indicated that solar variations had an effect on preindustrial climate throughout the Holocene.” In support, they cited 17 papers, the Bond and Neff articles from above, plus:

Davis & Shafer 1992; Jirikowic et al. 1993; Davis 1994; vanGeel et al. 1998; Yu&Ito 1999; Hu et al. 2003; Sarnthein et al. 2003; Christla et al. 2004; Prasad et al. 2004; Wei & Wang 2004; Maasch et al. 2005; Mayewski et al. 2005; Wang et al. 2005a; Bard & Frank 2006; and Polissar et al. 2006.

The correlations in most of these papers are not directly to temperature. They are to temperature proxies, some of which have a complex relationship with temperature, like Neff 2001, which found a correlation between solar activity and rainfall. Even so, the correlations tend to be strong, as if the whole gyre is somehow moving in broad synchrony with solar activity.

Some studies do examine correlations between solar activity proxies and direct temperature proxies, like the ratio of Oxygen18 to Oxygen16 in geologic samples. One such study (highlighted in Kirkby 2007) is Mangini et. al. 2005, “Reconstruction of temperature in the Central Alps during the past 2000 yr from a δ18O stalagmite record.”

Excerpt from Mangini: “… a high correlation between δ18O in SPA 12 and D14C (r =0.61). The maxima of δ18O coincide with solar minima (Dalton, Maunder, Sporer, Wolf, as well as with minima at around AD 700, 500 and 300). This correlation indicates that the variability of δ18O is driven by solar changes, in agreement with previous results on Holocene stalagmites from Oman, and from Central Germany.”

And that’s just old stuff. Here are four random recent papers.

Ogurtsov et al, 2010, “Variations in tree ring stable isotope records from northern Finland and their possible connection to solar activity,” JASTP.

Excerpt from Ogurtsov: “Statistical analysis of the carbon and oxygen stable isotope records reveals variations in the periods around 100, 11 and 3 years. A century scale connection between the 13C/12C record and solar activity is most evident.”

Di Rita, 2011, “A possible solar pacemaker for Holocene fluctuations of a salt-marsh in southern Italy,” Quaternary International.

Excerpt from Di Rita: “The chronological correspondence between the ages of saltmarsh vegetation reductions and the minimum concentration values of 10Be in the GISP2 ice core supports the hypothesis that important fluctuations in the extent of the salt-marsh in the coastal Tavoliere plain are related to variations of solar activity.”

Raspopov et al, 2011, “Variations in climate parameters at time intervals from hundreds to tens of millions of years in the past and its relation to solar activity,” JASTP.

Excerpt from Raspopov: “Our analysis of 200-year climatic oscillations in modern times and also data of other researchers referred to above suggest that these climatic oscillations can be attributed to solar forcing. The results obtained in our study for climatic variations millions of years ago indicate, in our opinion, that the 200- year solar cycle exerted a strong influence on climate parameters at those time intervals as well.”

Tan et al, 2011, “Climate patterns in north central China during the last 1800 yr and their possible driving force,” Clim. Past.

Excerpt from Tan: “Solar activity may be the dominant force that drove the same-phase variations of the temperature and precipitation in north central China.”

Saltmarshes, precipitation, “oscillations.” It’s all so science-fair. How about something just plain scary?

Solheim et al. 2011, “The long sunspot cycle 23 predicts a significant temperature decrease in cycle 24,” submitted astro-ph.

Excerpt from Solheim: “We find that for the Norwegian local stations investigated that 30-90% of the temperature increase in this period may be attributed to the Sun. For the average of 60 European stations we find ≈ 60% and globally (HadCRUT3) ≈ 50%. The same relations predict a temperature decrease of ≈ 0.9°C globally and 1.1−1.7°C for the Norwegian stations investigated from solar cycle 23 to 24.”

Those two dozen there are just the start. Scafetta hasn’t even been mentioned. (Sorry Nicola.) But there is a lot in those 24.[/QUOTE]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Here is something that the BEST study doesn't deal with, and that is "climate sensitivity". In order for increased atmospheric carbon dioxide to be potential problem, you need two things - if either of these two things is lacking, increasing CO2 is meaningless.

1. Positive feedbacks

2. High climate sensitivity

Here is a research paper from Dr. Roy Spencer that suggests climate sensitivity is low, and that once again the PDO is a better explanation for climate changes.

Global Warming as a Natural Response to Cloud Changes Associated with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO)
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
...and now onto feedbacks. The major feedback from increased CO2 would be water vapor, in the form of clouds. Here are two published papers, one that shows that cloud feedbacks are *negative* instead of positive, and subsequent supporting evidence.

On the diagnosis of radiative feedback in the presence
of unknown radiative forcing

A 39-Year Survey of Cloud Changes from Land Stations Worldwide 1971-2009: Long-Term Trends, Relation to Aerosols, and Expansion of the Tropical Belt

============================

Dr. Spencer's debunk of the supposed debunk of his paper by Dressler
The Dessler Cloud Feedback Paper in Science: A Step Backward for Climate Research
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops.

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
whoops

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 150 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock