Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The evidence against anthropogenic global warming (Page 114)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 150 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The evidence against anthropogenic global warming by fierobear
Started on: 06-07-2008 02:13 PM
Replies: 5991 (78183 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 02-01-2021 12:55 PM
FlyinFieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Study: Perturbations in the carbon budget of the tropics
"The researchers found that tropical forests absorb almost two billion tonnes of carbon each year, equivalent to one-fifth of the world’s carbon emissions, by storing it in their bark, leaves and soil. However, an equivalent amount is lost through logging, clearing of land for grazing, and growing biofuel crops such as palm oil, soya bean and sugar. Peat fires in forests add significantly to the greenhouse gas emissions. "
Source.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Study: Impacts of El Niño Southern Oscillation on the global yields of major crops
"In the new study, which is published today in the journal Nature Communications, an international team of researchers found that in both El Niño and La Niña years, the global mean yield of corn, rice and wheat is much lower than normal. The response of the soybean yield in La Niña years is unclear, but the study found an increase in El Niño years.

The research also shows that the region in which the yield of crops is negatively affected by La Niña is smaller than the region affected by El Niño; the negative impacts of La Niña affect 9-13% of harvested areas worldwide, compared to 22-24% for El Niño.

However, unlike El Niño years, the area that is affected in a positive way in La Niña years is much smaller than the region that is affected negatively – only 2-4% of harvested areas worldwide."
Source.

NOAA Climate Prediction Center: The chance of El Niño is 70% during the Northern Hemisphere summer and reaches 80% during the fall and winter.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Renewable energy still gaining ground.

RENEWABLES 2014 GLOBAL STATUS REPORT:
"In contrast to 2004, the use of renewable energy technologies to provide electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation is now widely spread across the globe, and recent trends suggest sustained growth worldwide. A decade ago, renewables had a strong appeal to those who were interested in moving away from conventional fuels for environmental reasons. Today, renewables have demonstrated that, in addition to their environmental benefits, they are also economic drivers, creating jobs, helping to diversify revenue streams, and stimulating new technological developments.

The share of renewables in global electricity generation continues to increase while the share of nuclear power has been declining over the past decade. The idea of achieving very high shares of non-hydro renewable energy was quite radical 10 years ago, yet today it is considered feasible by many experts. Several local, regional, and national governments around the world have committed to 100% renewable energy in one or more sectors within the coming decades.

Nonetheless, the renewable energy sector still faces numerous challenges. Enormous subsidies for fossil fuels and nuclear power persist, and they continue to vastly outweigh financial incentives for renewables. Many countries are directing increasing resources towards the exploration and extraction of unconventional fossil resources, while most governments remain reluctant to internalise the external costs associated with the extraction and use of fossil fuels.

Further advances and investment in renewable energy, as well as improvements in energy efficiency, must continue if the increase in global temperature is to be limited to 2°C. For this to happen, stable and predictable policy frameworks are key. Integrated policy approaches that incorporate energy efficiency—considered as the low-hanging fruit on the path to sustainability—will further facilitate the global transition to renewable energy.

The past decade has set the wheels in motion for this transition, but a concerted and sustained effort will be required to fully achieve it. With increasingly ambitious targets, innovative policies, and technological advances, renewables can continue to surpass expectations and foster a cleaner energy future."

I try to limit posting a large body of text as much as possible, but the above was well written and very intertwined.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-10-2014).]

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:

At least you don't contest your actions here are immature.

I'd ask for you to find an example, but you still haven't provided a valid example for the previous request.

Still butt hurt over your defeat I see. Your post is ironically just as immature as what you complain. I find it humorous that a sock puppet is complaining about having the same trolling tactired it uses being used against it. Too scared to post under your read ID I see.

Yes, I will use language as lowly as those I am debating. You have the desire to have a immature, childish argument, then have at it.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doug85GT

9466 posts
Member since May 2003

Source.

More hysteria.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Still butt hurt over your defeat I see. Your post is ironically just as immature as what you complain. I find it humorous that a sock puppet is complaining about having the same trolling tactired it uses being used against it. Too scared to post under your read ID I see.

Yes, I will use language as lowly as those I am debating. You have the desire to have a immature, childish argument, then have at it.

It's ok to just say you don't believe the overwhelming science and debate facts. Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion. It's you and others like formula88 that seem to act butt hurt and childish about it.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

It's ok to just say you don't believe the overwhelming science and debate facts. Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion. It's you and others like formula88 that seem to act butt hurt and childish about it.

LOL

The alarmist predictions fail one right after the other. This thread started in 2008. Six years later and the warming we were supposed to experience is still stalled and is going on its 2nd decade of stall.

Are you the hand inside the sock puppet? Did you just forget which account you were logged in with?

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 06-10-2014).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know when we reach the actual tipping point so I can start to worry then.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Let me know when we reach the actual tipping point so I can start to worry then.

Says a lot actually.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newf

8704 posts
Member since Sep 2006

LOL

The alarmist predictions fail one right after the other. This thread started in 2008. Six years later and the warming we were supposed to experience is still stalled and is going on its 2nd decade of stall.

Are you the hand inside the sock puppet? Did you just forget which account you were logged in with?

Try looking at the science.
PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still butt hurt over your defeat I see.

What defeat? Your straw man arguments are alive and well. You dismissively overlooked at least dozen scientific sources to complain about a satirical show on Comedy Central. Again, who needs to discuss scientific evidence when you can complain about the media.

Your post is ironically just as immature as what you complain. I find it humorous that a sock puppet is complaining about having the same trolling tactired it uses being used against it. Too scared to post under your read ID I see.

At least you don't contest you are being a troll.

It's interesting to see who attempts to attack my character by claiming I'm some other person. Always good for a laugh. I suggest you take your concerns up with an admin instead of making baseless accusations.

However by your own admission you're just here to troll, if you stopped attacking my character with imagined claims and actually had to contribute something you wouldn't really have a purpose here.

A man too eager to act like a fool based only off his perception will perceive many incorrect things.

You came here looking for an excuse to troll, not a debate. Now you're trying to blame others for your behavior. Take some personal responsibility for your actions.

Even your trolling is factually erroneous.

That's a duck, not a chicken.

More hysteria.

It's factually accurate.

But you may not even believe the Earth is 20,000 years old since you consider science a superstition.

Aren't you a creationist?

Stalled? Only if you ignore all of the evidence.

Source.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-11-2014).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012

Originally posted by newf:
Says a lot actually.

It does.

Reminds me of diabetics who would rather eat Big Macs than have their foot.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-11-2014).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL

I must be a creationist since I disagree with you. Pathetic strawman argument.

Wank on sock puppet.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I must be a creationist since I disagree with you. Pathetic strawman argument.

It's a legitimate question with valid context.

Are you a creationist?

It's a simple yes or no question.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a legitimate question with valid context.

Are you a creationist?

It's a simple yes or no question.

No...no he's happy to "LOL" at you and take potshots and you and the science. No need to share his opinion or belief on the subject.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice try sock puppet. Answering an invalid question validates it. You can debate creationism between your head and your hand all you want.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw this posted on a few news places this morning and wanted to get everyone's thoughts:
http://m.phys.org/news/2014...cier-geothermal.html
Whether it's true or not, it brings up a question: what can we do about forces beyond our (direct) control? Or should we do something? Let nature take it's course?
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

I saw this posted on a few news places this morning and wanted to get everyone's thoughts:
Whether it's true or not, it brings up a question: what can we do about forces beyond our (direct) control? Or should we do something? Let nature take it's course?

Impossible! Look at all of these scholarly articles that all attribute the melting of the Thwaites Glacier to Climate Change! I'll bet 97% of all scientists say that it is due to Climate Change.

http://scholar.google.com/s...rIIw&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA

It is entirely possible for all of those scientists to be wrong when they start with a conclusion and then fit the facts into their conclusion.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if there is any way to determine whether this volcanic heat transfer has increased in recent years, or whether it has remained a constant: about the same as it is now for many previous centuries?

Without that kind of history, I think it would be impossible to say with any precision that the West Antarctic melt rate is X percent driven by warming air and ocean temperatures, and Y percent driven by volcanic heat transfer.

I still think the preponderance of the evidence comes down on the side of a rapidly warming planet, and that the fingerprints on the thermostat are more than 50 percent from human hands. My hands and yours.

I wonder if there are bookmakers that are taking wagers in this domain? I think the odds are good that we are about to see a return to a persistent El Nino pattern, as we move into the last quarter of 2014. I think that is likely to shatter the perceived reality (I think it's a misperception) of the near 20-year slowdown or hiatus in global warming that was just tacked onto this discussion (again).

If I were actually going to place a bet.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 06-12-2014).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I wonder if there is any way to determine whether this volcanic heat transfer has increased in recent years, or whether it has remained a constant: about the same as it is now for many previous centuries?

Without that kind of history, I think it would be impossible to say with any precision that the West Antarctic melt rate is X percent driven by warming air and ocean temperatures, and Y percent driven by volcanic heat transfer.

I'd love for there to be a way to determine that, but like you I don't see there being one. I think that's what's most difficult about new discoveries and computer models. With all our advancements, we still don't know how everything works so we're finding new things that negate, modify, or confirm our current theories all the time. The problem with that of course is that we start out with this:
result = x
then something new enters in, so we try to factor it in with what we know and what our models' predictions and results have been and get:
result = x + y
but then there's still some outliers that don't fit the pattern. so we have:
result = x + y + ? ( + ?? + ...)
etc.
Why can't everything be easy formulas like f=ma and e=mc^2?
PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Answering an invalid question validates it.

It's a perfectly valid question. You're just embarrassed to answer it.

Are you a creationist?

Is it really that socially unacceptable to be a creationist these days? What's the hold up?
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012

The best thing to do is to not erode natural buffer zones with anthropogenic influences in the first place. It's probable the glacier in question, Thwaites, is melting due to geothermal heat according to evidence you presented. It's also melting from warming ocean water in a different location on the same glacier. While the article doesn't quantify a rate of melting in terms of mass lost due to geothermal alone, it's not far fetched to say ocean warming with geothermal warming will collapse the glacier quicker compared to natural geothermal warming alone.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-12-2014).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Not necessarily impossible. The article did give a unit of measure for geothermal heat in watts:
"According to his findings, the minimum average geothermal heat flow beneath Thwaites Glacier is about [.1 watts per square meter], with hotspots over [.2 watts per square meter]. For comparison, the average heat flow of the Earth’s continents is less than [.065 watts per square meter]."

By comparison, CO2 forcing is 1.5 watts per square meter. Source.

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The best thing to do is to not erode natural buffer zones with anthropogenic influences in the first place.

Definitely agreed there, with conservation in general (though IMO there is a balance between complete agrarianism and complete industrialism).

By comparison, CO2 forcing is 1.5 watts per square meter.

That's an interesting chart. assuming the 1.5W/m2 is global, wouldn't that be represented in the radiation of the oceans? Or are the oceans a large enough heat sink to dissipate it? After a certain point, though, there wouldn't be anywhere for it to dissipate to, would there? Of course at 1.5W, I would think that would take a long time.

One amusing takeaway from that chart is if we look solely at the math, the quickest thing we could do to negate our effects is to release more aerosols into the atmosphere

The chart also shows (W/m)2, which I assume is a typo on the placement of the superscript, but would result in much different values than W/(m2).
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The chart also shows (W/m)2, which I assume is a typo on the placement of the superscript, but would result in much different values than W/(m2).

The science is too important to be bothered with math.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's an interesting chart. assuming the 1.5W/m2 is global, wouldn't that be represented in the radiation of the oceans? Or are the oceans a large enough heat sink to dissipate it?

The oceans have been taking up the vast majority of warming:

Source.

After a certain point, though, there wouldn't be anywhere for it to dissipate to, would there? Of course at 1.5W, I would think that would take a long time.

It would take a long time. I recall reading that it's theorized Venus had oceans at one point, but over the course of several hundred million years a runaway greenhouse effect vaporized them.

Present day dangers are actually in natural ocean cycles. Oceans take in heat during La Nina years, and expel heat during El Nino years. Just because the ocean absorbed the energy, it doesn't mean its trapped there forever.

One amusing takeaway from that chart is if we look solely at the math, the quickest thing we could do to negate our effects is to release more aerosols into the atmosphere.

It would actually work, for a short while. The primary contribution from volcanos is actually cooling due to aerosols, you can see their temporary impact on global temperatures:

Source.

We also need our ozone.

Good catch!

I noticed something interesting, when I zoom in on the chart to 300% it moves the square to the proper location. Not sure where the bug is, browser or svg file.

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason why you will never get the truth out of the IPCC:

ROLE
2. The role of the IPCC is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation. IPCC reports should be neutral with respect to policy, although they may need to deal objectively with scientific, technical and socio-economic factors relevant to the application of particular policies.

The only answer they will ever give to any question posed is that it is caused by Global Warming.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/ipcc...VFHT5XLg1iaR_l6tR4iQ
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The reason why you will never get the truth out of the IPCC:

The scientific research speaks for itself. You can take the IPCC completely out of the equation and you still have practically all scientists supporting human induced climate change. The IPCC only summarizes scientific research.

The only answer they will ever give to any question posed is that it is caused by Global Warming.

Keep peddling hysteria and conspiracy theories. They're really working out for you.

By the way, are you a creationist?

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep peddling hysteria and conspiracy theories. They're really working out for you.

By the way, are you a creationist?

No hysteria. That is the IPCC's own document stating their purpose.

Swing and a miss, sock puppet.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No hysteria. That is the IPCC's own document stating their purpose.

Swing and a miss, sock puppet.

Who dat? Duane Kuiper? What inning are we in? Sounds like somebody needs to "grab some pine" . . .

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 06-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good catch!

I noticed something interesting, when I zoom in on the chart to 300% it moves the square to the proper location. Not sure where the bug is, browser or svg file.

Hmm interesting (actually all the info in your post is interesting). Thanks for the info
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fact that this was published kinda blows the "All the scientists are in giant conspiracy!" myth out of the water, eh? I mean, scientists report the actual data? *Gasp!*

Second, this is a very localized event. So unless the volcano runs across 2/3'rds the planet, the deniers have all their work ahead of them.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No hysteria.

You're peddling hysteria and UN fear mongering.

That is the IPCC's own document stating their purpose.

Ok, no more reading in the dark under the covers for you. Your imagination runs wild.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Study: Adaptation potential of European agriculture in response to climate change
"Moore and Lobell analyzed yield and profit records from thousands of farms between 1989 and 2009. These originated in the European Union's annual Farmer Accountancy Data Network survey. Combining detailed climate records with the farm data, they were able to understand how yields and profits have changed over time. By comparing yields in warmer and cooler parts of Europe, they could predict how adaptation may help European farmers in the coming decades. Their research is detailed in the latest issue of the journal Nature Climate Change.

"By adaptation, we mean a range of options based on existing technologies, such as switching varieties of a crop, installing irrigation or growing a different crop, one better suited to warmer temperatures," said Lobell, the associate director of the Center on Food Security and the Environment at Stanford. "These things have been talked about for a long time, but the novelty of this study was using past data to quantify the actual potential of adaptation to reduce climate change impacts. We find that in some cases adaptation could substantially reduce impacts, but in other cases the potential may be very limited with current technologies.""
Source.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-20-2014).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012

Originally posted by RandomTask:
I mean, scientists report the actual data? *Gasp!*

Who knew?!

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-20-2014).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Article: Oakland City Council Moves on Coal Transport Ban
"The Oakland City Council just approved resolutions opposing the transportation of coal and other fossil fuels in Oakland and the East Bay.

The council unanimously approved the resolutions by consent Tuesday evening, citing the problems with using coal trains through the urban area. Such problems included environmental threats, public health hazards, economic pitfalls, and public opposition to exports, specifically coal."
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Study (pre-release): Winds of change for the shipping sector
"Speaking at the ‘Shipping in Changing Climates: provisioning the future’ Conference in Liverpool today (Thursday), Dr Traut will present research that uses a new model to couple wind-power technologies with weather data to show how in theory, and with supporting incentives, wind energy could cut CO2 and fuel use by as much as 50% on smaller cargo vessels up to 5,000 dead weight tonnes. This would also have a knock-on impact of cutting sulphur and nitrogen oxide and dioxide emissions by reducing the total amount of fuel burnt."
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Report: Acidification and warming threaten iconic Mediterranean species
"Research professor Patrizia Ziveri from the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology at the UAB and coordinator of the project says “We knew next to nothing about the combined effects of warming and acidification in the Mediterranean until this study, now we know that they are a serious double threat to our marine ecosystems.”

“Iconic Mediterranean ecosystems such as seagrass meadows, the colourful Coralligene reefs and Vermetid snail reefs are threatened and now facing rapid decline through acidification and warming. These are amazing ecosystem building species, creating homes for thousands of species, and also serve to protect shores from erosion, offer a source of food and natural products to society” says Prof Maoz Fine from Bar-Ilan University in Israel.

“Subsea volcanic activity spews carbon dioxide into the seawater making the waters more acidic and an amazing natural laboratory, showing how a future Mediterranean Sea may look like. Unfortunately this window into a high CO2 sea shows us that life will become difficult for some species, invasive species may do well, biodiversity will decrease and some species will become extinct”, comments Prof Jason Hall-Spencer from University of Plymouth."
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FlyinFieros

1599 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Bottoms up!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 150 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock