Replies: 64 (72 views)
Last post by: TBK on 11-29-2002 02:24 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As everybody should have noticed by know, I've made a few changes. Most noticeably, the buttons have changed, and there's now a blue band at the top of each message. The band has always been there, it was just never blue. I'm still experimenting with the buttons inside this band, so every time I change these buttons, some threads may look weird because even though the buttons have changed, the layout will only change when a new message is added to the thread.

Another thing that has changed is the quoting style. The reason I changed it is because I noticed that a lot of times it didn't format properly (because of used UBBCode in the quoted text) and that made it very hard to read. The new quoting style looks like this:

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

The reason I changed it is because I noticed that a lot of times it didn't format properly (because of used UBBCode in the quoted text) and that made it very hard to read.

The new quoting style probably needs a bit getting used to, so give it time.

As long as I'm not entirely done with the changes, I suggest you check this thread to look how it is supposed to look. I'll make sure that this thread will be formatted properly after each change.

Also, if you have any comments, please leave them here.

To make sure this thread stays formatted properly, please do not post pictures or use your signature in this thread.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Cliff!!!!!!!!

The only thing I'd still like to see is a "subscribe to" option that allows you to check a box and recieve e-mail notification when someone replies to the thread. Like I could check the box here and then whenever someone replies to this thread I would recieve an e-mail telling me that someone replied to this and I should go read what they have to say

Anyway, the forum keeps getting better, thanks for all the time and effort you put into it Hopefully editing this post doesn't mess up the formatting of this thread...

Nick

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 11-04-2002).]

Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work Cliff. I have noticed how hard you have worked to improve this Forum in just the short time I have been a member.
Having a website myself (can't even come close to comparing to the quality of work put into this one) I know how much time it consumes !!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks great cliff. I guess we dont keep you busy enough, so you have all the extra time to keep improving Im sure it goes without saying that everyone appreciates what you do.

'thums up'

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like!

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As everybody should have noticed by know, I've made a few changes. Most noticeably, the buttons have changed, and there's now a blue band at the top of each message.

To make sure this thread stays formatted properly, please do not post pictures or use your signature in this thread.

To start off, I don't mind the changes. These are just my reactions & ideas.

1) The 5 "Radio buttons" currently underneath the "New Topic" & "Post Reply" are hard to read. (maybe a different color text might help ? red ? font ?

The Profile,Email,P.M.,Edit,Quote buttons are alittle easier to see, maybe it's the darker blue backround. (?)

2) When using the quote option, can that information be made to display in the normal width ? Just seem's a little to small. Again, it makes the font harder to read. (I must be getting old !!) lol

3) Can PIP be limited to display 640 x 480 ?

4) Is there a valid reason to allow larger that this ?

Any larger, the whole posting gets to wide.

With my laptop, I'm limited to 800 x 600.

Thanks Cliff

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-05-2002).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! I like, too!

Regarding Avatars...
I don't think that they are necessary.
Sig pics are enough. (Just MHO)
Although it might be cool to have a line or two to add a comment. (Yes, I know people do that already.)
Although Avatars can be cool, I have seen some forums that are so cluttered with "goodies" that they are truly a PITA to even read. You *can* have too much of a good thing.
I like the layout of this Forum better than any others I frequent. Kind of like "home".

[EDIT] ...to repair effects of cranial-rectal inversion.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-04-2002).]

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice Cliff! Good Job!

I am running 1024x768.
Is it just me or the font on the buttons is too small? I can hardly read what is says.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Fiero Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shame on you Chester, Raydar and FieroLT1- Cliff asked not to use signatures in this thread.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I would like to see is a short cut for the UBB code. Since I do not use it much I have to load that UBB page to see how to make something bold, quote etc. I'd like to see a crid notes area just above or on the right side of this message area with the common ones listed. [b] Bold, quote etc

Rodney

fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sowwy Cliffy ;-) I do like the new look... but umm can I say I do not like the yellow or cream color for the quote boxes... it doesn't match
PFF
System Bot
Webmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WebmasterClick Here to visit Webmaster's HomePageSend a Private Message to WebmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE the new look and features!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto Phil.

Changes look great! Cliff you give a new meaning to the phrase:"There's always room for improvement."

Never ceases to amaze me how you can improve on an already great forum!

Hats off to Cliff!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

One thing I would like to see is a short cut for the UBB code. Since I do not use it much I have to load that UBB page to see how to make something bold, quote etc. I'd like to see a crid notes area just above or on the right side of this message area with the common ones listed. [b] Bold, quote etc

Rodney

There is a shortcut for the UBB Code. When you are in the Post/Reply window composing your post, there is a link on the left side of the reply window:

*UBB Code is ON

Click on it to bring up a window of available UBB code on the forum, and examples of how to use it. I just tile the 2 windows so I can use the UBB window as a cheat sheet.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 11-04-2002).]

hallsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hallsmanSend a Private Message to hallsmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff, I thought I'd just point this out... you need a new thread closed picture, the old one doesn't match anymore.

The rest looks great, the buttons are a little small at 1280 x 1024, but I can handle it no problem. I know what 800 x 600 used to feel like. Only thing I would change is the color of the quote box. Creamy white/yellow isn't the best choice, IMHO.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hallsman:

Only thing I would change is the color of the quote box. Creamy white/yellow isn't the best choice, IMHO.

I think the creamy white/yellow provides a nice contrast with the shades of blue being used, I definately like it better than the way the quotes used to look

Nick

arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its great as long as the page doesnt load slower now =)

------------------
-Kyle
Aim: littlechugger

kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks like some people don't read to well..!!

REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As everybody should have noticed by know, I've made a few changes. Most noticeably, the buttons have changed, and there's now a blue band at the top of each message. The band has always been there, it was just never blue. I'm still experimenting with the buttons inside this band, so every time I change these buttons , some threads may look weird because even though the buttons have changed, the layout will only change when a new message is added to the thread.

Another thing that has changed is the quoting style. The reason I changed it is because I noticed that a lot of times it didn't format properly (because of used UBBCode in the quoted text) and that made it very hard to read. The new quoting style looks like this:

The new quoting style probably needs a bit getting used to, so give it time.

As long as I'm not entirely done with the changes, I suggest you check this thread to look how it is supposed to look. I'll make sure that this thread will be formatted properly after each change.

Also, if you have any comments, please leave them here.

I like it.... I had a mental lapse though, looking at "quote" and "post reply", took me a while to actually hit the "quote" button to respond!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 1280x1024 on a 17" monitor and all the buttons look OK to me. Everything looks just fine to me, except...

...the quoted text seems to be smaller than the normal text and is difficult to read. And the contrast between the beige and the blue makes my eyes hurt.

Keep up the good work, Cliff.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-04-2002).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 1280x1024 resolution on a 19" monitor and everything looks fine to me. I like the contrast between the quote box and everything else. I say don't change a thing, but apparently I'm in the minority. Irregardless of whether you change anything or not, you've done a bang up job as always.
PFF
System Bot
donny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnySend a Private Message to donnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job cliff. I'm running in 1600x1200 on a 19 inch monitor and I can see these buttons better than the old ones and even then I didn't have a problem reading them.
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hallsman:

Hey Cliff, I thought I'd just point this out... you need a new thread closed picture, the old one doesn't match anymore.

Your right!

Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL nice touch with the instrument lights on the main page there..
jerryc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jerrycSend a Private Message to jerrycEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, Cliff!
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweek:

LOL nice touch with the instrument lights on the main page there..

The instrument lights on the Forums page look sweet Cliff!!!!!!!

Nick

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a good hearty laugh over the instrument panel lights there Cliff. Great Idea!
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jefrysuko

3491 posts
Member since Apr 2000

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

I got a good hearty laugh over the instrument panel lights there Cliff. Great Idea!

They went away when I signed in

If you want to do a dashboard on that page another idea would be to use an odometer for the number of registered members.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the fact that the light for the Trash Can is a seatbelt...fitting, isn't it Cliff Rocks!!!!!!

Nick

hallsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hallsmanSend a Private Message to hallsmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you want to do a dashboard on that page another idea would be to use an odometer for the number of registered members.

Now that is a very cool idea! I would love that. Have the number of posts be an odometer reading. That would be sooooo slick. Shucks, I might even donate some more money to PFF for that. Well, not till I get my next paycheck anyway.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There already is an odometer on the page...

PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking Good Cliff!
hallsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hallsmanSend a Private Message to hallsmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There already is an odometer on the page...

Odometer? I didn't see one. Just the number of registered users. Hmmm, am I blind? I was thinking maybe using an odometer thingie for your number of posts. And maybe some cool names of your rank instead of just "New member" and "Member". Like maybe "Fiero Noob" or "Fiero Guru", "Fiero Nut", or something. Keep up the cool work!

cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the new look. Like the new logo's beside the categories too!

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, These are good days we're living. This place is getting downright fancy. Looking sharp!
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Cliff. When I first came here I thought "ugh, CGI.." and "ugh, Windows blue" but the place is growing on me - and I definitely like your new features and additions. The new quotation method is very appealing. I am on 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor and nothing is hard to read except the buttons under "new topic" and "post reply". They could use a good 1px black outline around the letters..

Edit: one suggestion.. instead of saying "quote" when you quote something make the header of the quote say "Originally posted by $username". It would take up less space and look cool

[This message has been edited by Wipe0ut (edited 11-05-2002).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

Edit: one suggestion.. instead of saying "quote" when you quote something make the header of the quote say "Originally posted by $username".

I had been working on that already, but it presents a few (unexpected) problems. I need to work around those first.

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's an old saying"if you want something done,give it to a busy man"
I'd like to change it a bit."If you want something done right,give it to Cliff"
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i love it! nice job!.. not being a suck up it really is cool! at first i thought my monitor was messed up...
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2002 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now we're getting fancy, Cliff. You obviously have nothing to do with your time.......LOL....just kidding.

Haven't seen a change yet that I didn't like and the way you're going I don't think I will.

Keep up the great work!

Phil

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay