Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Announcements
  Server is going down for a few minutes... hopefully...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Server is going down for a few minutes... hopefully... by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 06-19-2002 12:44 PM
Replies: 26 (681 views)
Last post by: fierobaby on 06-22-2002 05:01 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2002 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to restart the server around 2pm EST to do a kernel upgrade. This should only take a few minutes, but as with any upgrade, there's a slight chance the server will not come back up again. If so, it needs to be restarted manually and I can't say beforehand how long that will take or if that succeeds at all.

So if all goes well, the server should only be down a few minutes. If I encounter a small problem, it could take about an hour, and in the worst case, it could actually take a day before it's back up again... Let's hope for the best.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, as you probably noticed, things went wrong - they went terribly wrong...

I had to pick up the server yesterday and tear it apart to find out what was wrong. Finally at 5:30am my time I found the culprit and corrected it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and if you don't mind, I'm going to get some sleep now.

87ECOsomething

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECOsomethingSend a Private Message to 87ECOsomethingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for keeping us abreast of things, Cliff. Both you and the forum are greatly appreciated.
RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been having withdrawl symptoms. No PFF for several hours makes me very grumpy at work!!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh one more thing: I will do some testing the next 24 hours so you might notice some slowdowns and speedups - but it will not go down again.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thaks for the update. I'm glad you know how to repair the computers.
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, glad to have it back. needless to say, without haveing read the anouncements, i was a bit nervous about the "disapearance" of the forum.

------------------
hoop
Red
'86 GT
5 speed
Borla Exhaust
Eibach's/Poly/Kyb's

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dude this forum being down was the talk of the fiero factory list and even mentioned on the MR2 forum! sorry thing went sour on you!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see that Murphy's Law is universal.
Thanks for all you do. We appreciate it.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Know how these things go myself. Not fun. Not fun at all. I'm glad things worked out after your allnighter. I've had to do the same here when our system at work have crashed or I've updated software.

Yesterday afternoon, when I couldn't reach the forum, I was like wondering what I missed and who the heck may have "P'd" you off to shut things down.

I was attempting to get on this forum all day yesterday...and then most of the night until the wife "made" me come to bed...just in case it was just an unexpected downtime I didn't hear about...and talk about your standard PFF withdrawls. Tossed and turned all night wanting to come down to see if the forum was back online or not. I didn't realize what an addiction this site can be. Which is a good thing!

Get some sleep and pleasant dreams!

------------------

"The PRE10DR"

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to apologize Cliff. I'm amazed you can keep this thing running as well as it does 99.9% of the time. Thanks again for your efforts!
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you give it a good solid hit to the side of the box? That fixes lots of stuff.
DonHager

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonHagerSend a Private Message to DonHagerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just want to say thanks for such a great site.

------------------
FieroDon
86 SE
87 GT (factory blue)
88 GT

WWW.Fiero.us

Fiero*101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero*101Send a Private Message to Fiero*101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its ok Cliff
What ever it takes to keep it up and running

but i was having with draw last night

------------------
ANY INFO IS GOOD INFO :)
Fiero*101
Gold 86 SE 2M6
DR.D
93 Buick Regal GS 3.8L
Any Info Is Good Info

72vinman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 72vinmanSend a Private Message to 72vinmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cliff, this forum is a privilege for us you have nothing to be sorry for.

------------------

CFOG-I | GTA Fiero Club

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whew...
i don't get to check here as often, plus i don't go to off topic anymore. i kept thinking somebodies finally pissed cliff off enough for him to shut it down.
JEDI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JEDISend a Private Message to JEDIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, don't apologize for trying to improve something you let us mess up...for free! I can't thank you enough for letting me on PFF. Infact, the day you start accepting donations, I will be first in line.

Thanks again Cliff.

IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ahahahahahahahaha....I finally got my PFF fix. ahhhhhh, now I am much better.

The DT's suck!

Thanks for all you do for the Fiero community Cliff. You da' man!

------------------
AIM - SWags2933

84 Fiero SE (88 Pontiac Ad car motor and tranny being installed, T-tops, Fastback, Formula bumpers and Held Suspension being added)
84 Fiero IMSA Widebody (Centerlines, 3800SC & T-tops being added)
88 Formula (basically stock)

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok the shakes are starting to slow down. whew, i can breathe normal again
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for getting 'er back up in a hurry, what went wrong? (hardware or software, should we start a 'buy PFF a bigger HDD array' fund?

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya, thanks cliff, thought for a while there, i was gonna have to go out for some sex
PFF
System Bot
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Roger! You really must have had some serious withdrawls if you were thinking you might have to go out and do that to get by without the forum.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that's where that last boulder landed... I knew I dropped it someplace.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worried myself last night, even got on Ebay for 10 minutes.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG EBAY!!!!!???? nooo that must have been pretty bad.. (but I bet all you looked at was fiero stuff)

Thank you cliff. You are the fiero king.

Cory

------------------

88 GT Fully stock and looking good.
86 2M6 In the proccess of buying
84 SE 4 Speed, Custom project car, custom pisa wrap around dash, Black carpet, Headliner, Pisa's Digital Guages, Mr Mikes door covers, with red accents and red floormats.
84 SE Parts car, anyone need any parts? Or the whole car can go.

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was HORRIBLE! I thought I was going to have to start surfing the AutoZone web site or something!

j/k

I used to work in the computer industry; these things do indeed happen.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Cliff! And thanks for keeping this great forum going!

Ed

fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did surf the autozone website! I must say they have cool fizzy dice! good job getting the beast back cliffy!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock