Replies: 8 (24 views)
Last post by: artherd on 08-06-2001 06:11 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I made a small error on the time the server would be down. Instead of substracting 6 hours from the local time here in Holland, I added 6 hours. So the interruption occured around 6pm on friday and not on the morning of Aug 4... Sorry 'bout that.

But that ain't the bad news. The bad news is that the server was moved to the new location, and then moved back again to the old location due to some unforseen problems on the new location. This meant the forum was down for a whopping 15 hours instead of the planned 2 hours.

I'm not sure when the next attempt will be to move the server, but I'll try to let you know well in advance.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
I'm not sure when the next attempt will be to move the server, but I'll try to let you know well in advance.

Welcome back. Sorry you ended up working so hard & long on it for us.

Archie

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Archie made it through! Good man!
What was the problem Cliff, phone lines?
Poor quality and static?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's always those "unforseen" problems that can get you. Hey it's like working on a Fiero, If you think it takes 30 minutes to do, 4 hours later your done.

Hope the next time you move it, it goes better.
Your doing a great job with the Forum.
Big Thanks to you Cliff!

------------------

Got Emblems?

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem was that the server was unable to "talk" with the outside world. It was something that could have been solved in a few minutes - were they able to reach me.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2001 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the hard work. ( I was beginng to think I had slept thru a whole day or sumpthin.)
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
talking with the outside world is very important... especially when your a server.

btw, i think i noticed the second attempt... sometime this am.

------------------
hoop
Red 86 GT 5 speed
Black 86 SE Automatic

JSocha

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah Man! You wouldn't believe the cold sweat's I have been having here in ND without my daily dose of PFF, even in the 90+ degree humid weather.

Must go and "OT" now on PFF and interject more PFF into my system.

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. Know what it is like when I go in on a weekend to work on our computer system to upgrades something. Something always goes wrong with something that is so simple yet something unexpected always happens.

Don't beat yourself over it. We are mature enough to understand.

BTW, what does the PFF on CD cost just so I have an emergency fix for dah next time?

------------------

artherd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Cliff, I finally switched our (four) DNS servers to bind 9, I feel your pain :)

Fortunately we were able to keep an bind8 server online the whole time, but if we haden't a 5min outage would have turned into a 48 hour ordeal!!!

Hope the new servers work well, I just noticed that netscape is refusing to load the fourm's homepage, but just on my crappy mac laptop (ok, it's a pretty nice laptop, but it's still blecky macos. I'm not fair and compare it to my Silicon Graphics workstation, which gives 110% all the time with no hassles.)

Thanks for maintaining the forum, I know what a PITA it can be!!!
(PS: if you ever need a US mirror, please let me know. I don't know if you get charged for an 'overseas' link, but if so I could save you some $ :)

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page