Miller woods 2.8 manual turbo kit by shemdogg
Started on: 06-25-2023 09:00 PM
Replies: 12 (555 views)
Last post by: 88WhiteGT on 10-07-2023 10:50 AM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2023 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any interest? Exhaust is big, might have to put on a pallet. Turbo spins free, no shaft wobble.

Has a programmed 85 ecm and knock sensor module

shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2023 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be very interested.

I have auto, but that means I can use stock exhaust, rigth? What else is different.

I have a lot of questions about the turbo kit. Googling around can't find good link with all the details. Got a suggestion?
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2023 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fredtoast:

Might be very interested.

I have auto, but that means I can use stock exhaust, rigth? What else is different.

I have a lot of questions about the turbo kit. Googling around can't find good link with all the details. Got a suggestion?

There are quite a lot of differences between the manual and auto Miller Woods/Design One kit. The crossover pipe and turbo mount location being one of them. I've got the Design One setup on an a GT automatic.

I've been meaning to scan the install manual into a PDF and post it for posterity, have to find it buried in the garage somewhere first though.

fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-26-2023 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was researching engine swaps long before I even bought my Fiero last month. There are a lot of little things to do to the body and suspension before I consider an engine swap, but i planned on getting it done in a year. So this turbo kit would have to be very cheap and simple for me to even consider it. It might postpone the engine swap, but I don't see getting the same power increase and long-term dependability from this turbo as I would from a new engine.

Plus "turbo" usually doe not go well with "35 year-old engine".
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2023 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fredtoast:

Plus "turbo" usually doe not go well with "35 year-old engine".

I would not advise putting boost in a stock 35 yr old engine. The cast pistons in the 2.8L even when new were never ideally suited for turbo applications and now have had missions of cycles on them. I would put this kit on a fresh rebuilt engine with forged pistons and a turbo cam profile. I would guess 190-200 horsepower would be possible.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-26-2023 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I would not advise putting boost in a stock 35 yr old engine. The cast pistons in the 2.8L even when new were never ideally suited for turbo applications and now have had missions of cycles on them. I would put this kit on a fresh rebuilt engine with forged pistons and a turbo cam profile. I would guess 190-200 horsepower would be possible.

The only way it makes sense is if I just write off my current engine because I know I will be replacing it anyway. I could run the turbo until I blow the engine then re-sale the kit here. I just need to get it cheap enough so that I could get my money back.

Does it have an intercooler? I see a silver square thing, but that might be the ecm. No intercooler really limits what you can do with boost.

Do I need a new fuel pump or bigger injectors?

[This message has been edited by fredtoast (edited 06-26-2023).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2023 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No intercooler w this one, could pipe one in. There was an intercooler option, not a whole lotta info on these tho. Does come with a fuel block w big injectors, forgot it in the pic.

shem
32Ford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 32FordSend a Private Message to 32FordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IRM put these turbos on Fieros back in the day with no issues! They run like a scaled dog, Dont be afraid to go ahead and install one! Regardless of what some people might say.
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2023 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 32Ford:

IRM put these turbos on Fieros back in the day with no issues! They run like a scaled dog, Dont be afraid to go ahead and install one! Regardless of what some people might say.

There is a lot to doing it right. You need to add more fuel and pull back some timing. Luckily the stock compression ratio was really low (8.5:1). That makes it easier, but engine management is still an issue. With no intercooler I doubt they made much boost.

Do you know any of the specs?

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has a programmed computer, its a plug n play kit. The guy I bought it from seemed to know about these kits. He said 8lbs boost max.

shem
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The kit came in two forms, the base kit was the "Stage 1" and the optional "Stage 2" upgrade included a '85 ECM with a custom programmed PROM that could take advantage of the included knock sensor and wiring in the Stage 2 add-on. This looks like the full Stage 2 setup for a manual 2.8 Fiero.

It was recommended to limit the boost to ~5 psi with the Stage 1 kit and ~8 psi with the Stage 2. You could of course potentially go higher with modified 2.8 internals, but there is a limit to what the relatively small turbo (IHI if I remember right) can do.
PFF
System Bot
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2023 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This post is for Fredtoast. . . .

"STOP COMING BACK TO LOOK AT THIS! IT IS A BAD IDEA! YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC! SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR THE SWAP!"
88WhiteGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2023 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88WhiteGTSend a Private Message to 88WhiteGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Any interest? Exhaust is big, might have to put on a pallet. Turbo spins free, no shaft wobble.

Has a programmed 85 ecm and knock sensor module

shem

Can you DM me and let me know how much you want to sell it?

[This message has been edited by 88WhiteGT (edited 10-07-2023).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock