FS: Miller-Woods/Design1 Turbo Kit by PRND3L
Started on: 12-10-2020 08:56 PM
Replies: 7 (745 views)
Last post by: PRND3L on 12-19-2020 11:00 PM
PRND3L

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe I picked a Miller-Woods/Design1 turbo kit from a junkyard fiero last weekend.

That car itself had ~90k on the odometer and seemed clean, there was no obvious condemning factor as to why the car should have been there.

I do not have the slightest idea of the state of this kit other then the pictures I can provide and visual inspection I can perform.

The turbo has no shaft play or damage to the turbine wheel, see pictures

There are 2 cracks in the pipe that will need to be repaired, see pictures.

I picked the heat shields, turbo blanket, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, and all the tubing/silicone couplers and brackets and ECU w/chip (I do not know if this is a stock chip or a tuned chip) from the car, see pictures.

You will need to source your own water lines to/from the turbo, oil return drain bung into the oil pan, any miscellaneous exhaust gaskets and vacuum lines. and whatever muffler/catalyst/exhaust/tips behind the turbo. (the junkyard would not sell me anything if I did not cut the Catalytic converter and mufflers off. Pics are included of before/after cutting.

SEE PICTURES AT BELOW LINK

PICTURES ARE HERE

From the reading I've done this kit was made to "bolt up" to 2.8 fieros with Automatic or 4spd transmissions.

I can provide more pictures if desired, I will answer any possible questions I am capable of. Again, this was picked from a junkyard car.

I am asking $500 OBO, but make offers. Willing to ship at buyers expense. Also willing to meet "locally" within reason; I am located near Commerce GA.

- Alex
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the install manual for the Design One kit that I could make copies of.

------------------
Currently looking for another Fiero build...
11 CTS-V Coupe
19 Silverado Z71
14 Silverado 2500HD
86 Turbo GT 5 speed
88 Formula 5 Speed
87 SE auto

predmeister

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i need a copy of the turbo paperwork!!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRND3L:

I believe I picked a Miller-Woods/Design1 turbo kit from a junkyard fiero last weekend.

That car itself had ~90k on the odometer and seemed clean, there was no obvious condemning factor as to why the car should have been there.
I do not have the slightest idea of the state of this kit other then the pictures I can provide and visual inspection I can perform.
The turbo has no shaft play or damage to the turbine wheel, see pictures
There are 2 cracks in the pipe that will need to be repaired, see pictures.
I picked the heat shields, turbo blanket, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, and all the tubing/silicone couplers and brackets and ECU w/chip (I do not know if this is a stock chip or a tuned chip) from the car, see pictures.
You will need to source your own water lines to/from the turbo, oil return drain bung into the oil pan, any miscellaneous exhaust gaskets and vacuum lines. and whatever muffler/catalyst/exhaust/tips behind the turbo. (the junkyard would not sell me anything if I did not cut the Catalytic converter and mufflers off. Pics are included of before/after cutting.

SEE PICTURES AT BELOW LINK

PICTURES ARE HERE

From the reading I've done this kit was made to "bolt up" to 2.8 fieros with Automatic or 4spd transmissions.

I can provide more pictures if desired, I will answer any possible questions I am capable of. Again, this was picked from a junkyard car.

I am asking $500 OBO, but make offers. Willing to ship at buyers expense. Also willing to meet "locally" within reason; I am located near Commerce GA.

- Alex

Alex: I am very familiar with the Design One /Miller Woods Turbo kit. It did boost horsepower significantly on fresh or low mileage engines. One of the most important parts is the engine management; ECM chip (it had a split timing table), and the two bar map that goes with it. You have those, hence the kit with some metalwork and cleanup should work. The waste gates were set to 7 psi but some guys adjusted them higher with disastrous results.
FYI, Back in the day, complete Design One kits sold for $3200; expensive and not very popular due to the high cost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRND3L:

- Alex

This looks like the first version from Miller-Woods that uses separate pipes for the wastegate and each tail pipe through the dual inlet/outlet catalytic converter , which caused a lot of cracks. The later version, like I have, used single inlet/outlet converter.

You have the manual version which uses different exhaust from the turbo back. The auto version puts the turbo forward more and uses the factory exhaust after the turbo.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:
This looks like the first version from Miller-Woods that uses separate pipes for the wastegate and each tail pipe through the dual inlet/outlet catalytic converter , which caused a lot of cracks. The later version, like I have, used single inlet/outlet converter.

Since the exhaust has been hacked up (junkyards sometimes ) and needs to be rebuilt anyways, the wastegate pipe could be built with a bellows coupling to address the cracking issue.

Or what could be nice is a true dual exhaust; turbine exhausts through LH exhaust tip, while wastegate exhausts through RH exhaust tip.
PRND3L

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRND3LSend a Private Message to PRND3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, cross posted onto to multiple fiero Facebook pages.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock