Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  85% (or better!) SBC/F23 Engine Swap package!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
85% (or better!) SBC/F23 Engine Swap package! by Trinten
Started on: 08-23-2020 06:45 PM
Replies: 13 (814 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 10-19-2020 10:47 PM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SOLD!!

Hey everyone,

For those of you who have seen my build, you'll know that in 2013 FieroGuru took on the job of taking my SBC with the F23 for improvements, a serpentine belt setup, and fuel injection.

Here is the thread around the time he got it in the engine compartment and started marking out other things he (and you!) would need to do to make it fit.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000142-4.html (information and pictures are in this thread. The engine is out of the car now and I will be cleaning it up a little).

My new build is on a custom cradle, with an LS4 and a 4T80E. So I am offering to the Fiero Community this package:

The Engine you will get:
350 SBC, bored up to 355. Holley Stealth Ram intake, 36# Bosch Design Three injectors, 4 bolt main block, forged rods and pistons, AFR heads, chromemoly 1.6 full rocker rollers, dual-spring Patriot valve springs, Comp Cams 280XFI HR13, wiring harness, all hoses, starter. Coated exhaust headers. Effectively a complete engine. Peak dyno was at 371HP and 381 ft/lbs torque. Engine has less than 20K miles on it.

Cradle you'll get:
The cradle from my '86 Fiero, which is already modified to bolt in the SBC and the F23 transmission
The cradle also comes with the Heim endline joints and the FieroStore swaybar. (edit, forgot to add this before)

The Transmission you'll get:
F23 (no LSD).
The modified flywheel (you may want to have a new gear ring pressed on by a machine shop there is one tooth missing on this one)

MISC stuff you get:
Refurbished (not used) AC Compressor,
The modified AC lines that go from the compressor to the body lines.
AN Fittings almost everywhere.
Any brackets (such as transmission shift bracket)
The modified decklid (if you want it!)
The 0411 PCM with the current tune.

What you will need to do:
Read the first 8 pages or so of my thread carefully. FieroGuru put in about every detail you could ever want to know.
You will need to modify your decklid and hinges so it can close (or just the hinges if you take my decklid).
You will need to modify your passenger side frame rail a little.
You should flush everything out. The engine has been sitting for a few years now. Some hoses were disconnected, and I'm sure some insects are in places.
You will need to get a remote water pump. (stainless braided AN hoses come with the setup).
You will need to buy a clutch/pressure plate. I used a Spec 3+ and it was great.
You will need to order the shift cables (one is a getrag cable, the other is a pre-modified cable available from a company called Push N Pull)

If converting from auto-to-manual. You will need a shifter and shift pedals if you don't have it. (Sorry, when I talked to Mike, he reminded me I had promised him the cables, pedals, and shifter). If you have a manual, this isn't needed.

I know I'm not going to get anything close to what I paid for the engine, parts, transmission or labor. So I'm not going to say "this all cost me x-amount!" However if you want to do some quick math, I'm selling this setup for around 30% of what it cost me.

I'm asking $4,000 USD. And you'll need to be willing to pick it up from the Raleigh, N.C. area, or negotiate with someone like CowsPatoot for delivery ( he has a nice pickup truck, and likes to drive).

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 10-19-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GLWS!
I'm sure this thing will be an absolute beast, for whoever buys/installs it. The engine was a solid platform to begin with, and I'm quite sure that Guru had it operating to it's full potential, when he turned it loose.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar!

When things are (more?) normal and the new setup is on the road, I'll have to keep some vacation days in reserve for any good Fiero meets! I hope you and I will be able to catch up again!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah... definitely.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the good questions in PM!

I have updated the post to add some more details on the engine (had a valvetrain question and a cam question), as well as to note it does come with the FieroStore rear swaybar and heim end joints.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a little biased having spent a year transforming this swap from a running carbed SBC to a true one-of-a-kind swap. My labor charge for this transformation was higher than what Vince is asking for everything included in the swap... so this is quite a deal. I still have a detailed parts list for every component used, wiring pinouts, as well as 1100+ pictures detailing the swap, so this is a well documented swap.

• EFI Connection 24x conversion kit – reluctor wheel, sensor, timing cover and cam sensor housing. Sequential fuel injection, LS2/LS4 coil per cylinder with coils custom mounted at end of head, LS7 MAF, etc. OBD2 refinement in an older SBC package.
• Holley Stealth Ram - great flowing intake highly modified to fit it under the decklid. Runners were shortened to lower the plenum. Plenum the shaved to make to shorter. Plenum flipped to allow the throttle body over the transmission, relocated IAC passage to clear the distributor cover, and a 4" cold air intake.
• Custom 1” pipe coolant crossover tube with billet aluminium coolant fill and -16an braided hose and fittings connecting the two.
• Custom harness to hide and minimize the visible wiring. ECM mounted down by the transmission, to minimize the wiring into the passenger compartment.
• Serpentine accessory drive conversion with spring loaded tensioner - this will require a slight frame notch.
• Modified AN fittings for the remote water pump setup.
• Modified 142 tooth SBC flywheel, custom starter mounts, with locating pins so it can be removed and easily put back into the proper position.
• Custom solid F23 transmission mounts and significantly reworked Archie engine mount, and notched cradle to mount the drivetrain as low as possible to help with plenum clearance.
• Custom F23 shifter bracket and reworked geometry to reduce cable deflection.
• Custom fabricated mid length headers with Jet hot coating, 3" stainless exhaust with Vibrant resonator, Magnaflow cross flow muffler, and Wicked Flow resonator tips. Zero drone at any RPM.

Here is what the final swapped looked like all hooked up and running/driving:

Closer shot of the transmission side:

Accessory drive side:

You will never see another HSR swapped Fiero with this small of a notch to the fastback decklid. Only the SMC was removed, the steel under structure was able to be kept.

SIde view of engine bay, air intake, and coils:

Oil Filter Relocation:

Rear Transmission Mount:

Front Transmission Mount:

Engine mount and accessory drive:

Cradle modifications:

Relocated IAC. The distrubutor clamp was modified to put the connector under the IAC.

Mid length headers with strategically placed heat shields:

Stainless 3" Exhaust:

Here is what it sounds like:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-24-2020).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thanks for all the details and pictures!

Oh! I should probably edit to include those things:

I do have the modified flywheel, that will come along with it. It might be worth having a new tooth ring gear pressed on, one tooth is 'chipped'. I will also include (if we can find it. I think I know where it's at), the clutch and pressure plate. It was a SPEC Stage 3+, per FieroGuru's recommendations.

Again, this is about as complete of a swap as one can get. A few parts, a little body work (as was so graciously called out above), and of course the fun with wiring.

I've been asked if it will include shifter cables, the pedals, and shifter. These three things have gone to Mike for his Fiero build after mine is done, however I am willing to negotiate on these things if you need them (the shifter cables you will need, one is a Getrag cable, the other is a cable from California Push N Pull, the rest is normal Fiero stuff).

Right now I have someone who is going to come out and see everything next week. If other people are interested, I'm happy to start a queue.

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This almost has me rethinking my LS4 F23 swap that's still in part collecting phase. This would shave off a lot of build time and prob still end up saving money...

------------------

--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the interest! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Happy to answer them.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update (I'll amend the original post too).

I realized I don't need the modified decklid with my new setup. So if your car is white, or you don't mind a mismatched colored decklid, the modified decklid (as pictured in FieroGuru's post above) will be included in the package.

Also FieroGuru suggested I talk with DarthFiero about having him create a new baseline tune for me on another 0411 PCM, so I can just include mine with the swap. If he's able to do that for me, then the 0411 PCM will be included, too!

Speaking of which, going to go meet with an interested buyer now!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update (and I will be updating the original post).

I heard back from Ryan (DarthFiero). He does have a 0411 PCM he can sell me. So the current PCM with the proper tune will go with the package!
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2020 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more good questions came in!

Yes! The cool wiring panel that goes behind the center console, made by FieroGuru, comes with it! We preserved all of the custom wiring. Things were labeled.

Yes! The coolant cross-over tube that FieroGuru made is also included!

Yes! All the stock gauges were used. The included 0411 PCM has been tuned to properly convert the signal from the F23 to the right signal for the speedometer. Tach works as well.

No, the pressure plate/clutch is not included. Mine was a little baked from me feathering the clutch too much. Part number is Spec SC883F Stage 3+. Clamping force up to ~515 ft/lbs. I never had an issue with it slipping, even under aggressive throttle after engagement. Cost for this is ~458 from Summit Racing. I did find a retailer through Google Shopping that had it for 446.

Keep the questions coming!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Conditionally sold!

The buyer asked if we could reassemble everything on the cradle to save some time and make it (a little) easier to transport. So we agreed that he would send Mike the pressure plate and clutch, and Mike (with some gophering from me where able) will put it together, doing the proper measurements for the clutch to make sure we have the right spacer in for the HToB.

Also, major kudos to this guy. He took my suggestion to heart and read my entire build thread, and was shooting me questions on stuff I had long forgotten about. Thankfully FieroGuru was super awesome about answering them!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The package is SOLD!

Thank you to GTFiero1 for his awesome communication and thoughtfulness. When I suggested people read my whole build thread, this guy took that to heart! Asked a lot of good questions.

Also my thanks to FieroGuru for answering some questions quickly (so I could answer GTFiero1's questions).

He drove down this past weekend and we were able to load everything up into his pickup truck in a neat little package.

And while I don't think Mike ever really looks at the forums, a public thanks to him for taking the time to put everything back together on the cradle.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock