Looking for a 1988 Pontiac Fiero - $7,500 Budget by BuckyJunior
Started on: 06-22-2020 01:42 PM
Replies: 13 (563 views)
Last post by: Sage on 06-28-2020 08:56 AM
BuckyJunior

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BuckyJuniorSend a Private Message to BuckyJuniorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there, everyone.

I've been searching around for a 1988 Pontiac Fiero for some time now, but before I make any decisions and finally pull the trigger on a vehicle, I figured I'd reach out to the community.

Depending on the mileage, trim level, and overall cosmetic condition, how much do these typically sell for? I've seen a few 1988 Fiero GT engine rebuilds for around $5,500 in good condition with very low mileage.

I'm most interested in a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, preferably with either black or burgundy exterior and grey interior but it's not a requirement. Formulas are also in consideration, as well as a Base for the right price.

Thanks in advance, guys!

------------------
Currently looking to purchase a 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula/GT.

[This message has been edited by BuckyJunior (edited 06-22-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not your color choice, but a lot of car and upgrades for the money.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078665.html
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully you will soon get your car and can then benefit from the experience here on fixing stuff and doing upgrades. It's good to have some skills and patience with these cars. If you haven't already done it consider saving a search on eBay and Craigslist that will update you daily or instantly if you want. Definitely keep an eye daily on the Forum here for deals as low-miles and rebuilds do turn up with some regularity.

John
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BuckyJunior:

Hey there, everyone.

I've been searching around for a 1988 Pontiac Fiero for some time now, but before I make any decisions and finally pull the trigger on a vehicle, I figured I'd reach out to the community.

Depending on the mileage, trim level, and overall cosmetic condition, how much do these typically sell for? I've seen a few 1988 Fiero GT engine rebuilds for around $5,500 in good condition with very low mileage.

I'm most interested in a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, preferably with either black or burgundy exterior and grey interior but it's not a requirement. Formulas are also in consideration, as well as a Base for the right price.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Originally posted by Notorio:

Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully you will soon get your car and can then benefit from the experience here on fixing stuff and doing upgrades. It's good to have some skills and patience with these cars. If you haven't already done it consider saving a search on eBay and Craigslist that will update you daily or instantly if you want. Definitely keep an eye daily on the Forum here for deals as low-miles and rebuilds do turn up with some regularity.

John

I didn't see where he mentioned "upgrades"?

Maybe he realizes the virtues of owning a "stock" 1 of 6848 1988 GT's built, with even much less that remain.
Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one Fieroguru posted would be hard to beat for the money. It really just depends on if you are looking for a low mileage stock example or a daily driver. I bought a stock '88 GT a few months ago and just rolled over 58k yesterday. It almost pains me to drive it because you never get those miles back.

FWIW low mileage '88s seem to be the only "investment" Fieros (even Indys don't seem to fetch a whole lot unless totally pristine) but all can be made fun daily drivers if you're willing to put in the work.
BuckyJunior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BuckyJuniorSend a Private Message to BuckyJuniorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Not your color choice, but a lot of car and upgrades for the money.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078665.html

Color isn't a primary concern, just a personal preference. I would have to agree, this car does have a number of valuable upgrades.

Originally posted by Notorio:

John

Hi John,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've been keeping an eye on Pennock's for a little while, and every few days I search around the internet for any new listings. I've seen a few nice cars here and there, but nothing that's been spectacular, especially considering many of them are automatics.

I can't say I have much experience with Fieros, but I hope that will change.

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I didn't see where he mentioned "upgrades"?

Maybe he realizes the virtues of owning a "stock" 1 of 6848 1988 GT's built, with even much less that remain.

I do have an interest in stock cars, especially stock Formulas as there were very few built, but I'm also interested in modified cars with engine swaps and other various upgrades, though, I would give a slight preference to the stock car if I had the option between the two.

Originally posted by Modesto:

The one Fieroguru posted would be hard to beat for the money. It really just depends on if you are looking for a low mileage stock example or a daily driver. I bought a stock '88 GT a few months ago and just rolled over 58k yesterday. It almost pains me to drive it because you never get those miles back.

FWIW low mileage '88s seem to be the only "investment" Fieros (even Indys don't seem to fetch a whole lot unless totally pristine) but all can be made fun daily drivers if you're willing to put in the work.

As I said in my reply to fieroguru, I would have to agree. The previous owner certainly spent some money on upgrades and appears to be a decent bang-for-the-buck car.

The car would be my daily driver.

It is a bit unfortunate that those miles never do come back, but at 58,000 miles, your '88 has quite a bit of life left in it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BuckyJunior (edited 06-23-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you intend to road race, I would advise not spending the extra money for an 88 GT . The 85-87 models with an added rear sway bar handle almost as well. On the street or drag strip, you will not notice any difference but the 88 one year models do hold their value better.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Dennis. The 88's suspension and brake parts, being one-year-only, are getting harder to source. For a daily driver, go with the earlier cars.
Nospeedlimit55

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Modesto:

Good Advice!
Even the '88 GT's are tough to categorize as "investment" vehicles in the grand scheme of collectibles, and the value for 95% of us is the driving experience.
That said, it sounds as though you have a pretty wide range of desirable options. You can find some really clean pre-'88 GT's or Formula's for far less $$$ if you are patient and diligent in your search. I run across running - driver quality examples under $1500 fairly frequently. They may need a few repairs to become reliable but what 35 y/o car doesn't need something? And with your initial investment being minimal, you won't get hung upside down right out of the gate!
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

I agree with Dennis. The 88's suspension and brake parts, being one-year-only, are getting harder to source. For a daily driver, go with the earlier cars.

That is true ... I could only find one source for 88 calipers just a few months ago. Come to think of it they never refunded me my core charge (I hope they are still in business ).
BuckyJunior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BuckyJuniorSend a Private Message to BuckyJuniorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Unless you intend to road race, I would advise not spending the extra money for an 88 GT . The 85-87 models with an added rear sway bar handle almost as well. On the street or drag strip, you will not notice any difference but the 88 one year models do hold their value better.

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

Originally posted by Nospeedlimit55:

Good Advice!
Even the '88 GT's are tough to categorize as "investment" vehicles in the grand scheme of collectibles, and the value for 95% of us is the driving experience.
That said, it sounds as though you have a pretty wide range of desirable options. You can find some really clean pre-'88 GT's or Formula's for far less $$$ if you are patient and diligent in your search. I run across running - driver quality examples under $1500 fairly frequently. They may need a few repairs to become reliable but what 35 y/o car doesn't need something? And with your initial investment being minimal, you won't get hung upside down right out of the gate!

I've driven an '87 GT before, and the handling reflected upon the GM X-car and Chevette suspension the car was equipped with, although this car very well may have had worn out components considering the condition the car was in. I've seen talk of a rear sway bar resulting in improved handling on earlier Fieros, but without actually driving a modified '87, I'm not totally convinced. It would be nice to save a couple bucks and go for the older model, though. I'd assume the suspensions can't be that bad considering how many people have put money into engine swaps and various upgrades on the older models.

I am also aware of a power steering kit from West Coast Fieros. Does anyone have experience with this, or would it at least make any notable difference on the earlier cars?

As nice as crazyd's 1988 Fiero GT is, it's a bit too far away. I'm located in Georgia while his car is way out in Washington.

I did find two '88 Fiero GTs in my state. Both are in great condition.

Car #1

The listing says $6,300 while the description says $8,000, so I'll have to talk to the seller to see which price is correct.

Burgundy exterior/tan interior.

Description from seller:

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT automatic. Runs like new.
- Engine rebuild and block was machined. Engine Kit includes: Pistons, Rings, Cam and Lifters, Timing Set, Oil Pump, All bearings (cam, rod, main), complete gasket and seal set , freeze plugs, timing chain damper and new oil galley plugs.
- Ocelot exhaust
- Front Upper Outlet Hose
- Front Lower Inlet Hose
- Rear Upper Outlet Coolant Hose
- Inlet Intermediate Hose
- T/B To Engine Hose
- Front Transmission Mount
- Transmission Mount
- Water Pump
- Electric Fuel Pump
- MSD Performance Cap & Rotor
- Cruise Control Vacuum Tank
- Vacuum Line Set (7pcs)
- Braided EGR Tube
- STI Ignition Wire
- Front Tie Rod Package
- New tires (less than 1,000 miles on them)
- Window tint by Sound Vision
- Car was taken apart and repainted in 2014
- AC/ Heater works
Car is sitting around 163,8xx miles and should not increase much as the car is not driven every day.
Asking $8,000.

Car #2:

$5,500

White exterior/tan interior.

Description from seller:

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT. 4,000 miles on rebuilt 2.8 V6 done by Advance Auto Parts, 5-Speed Transmission. The car was upgraded in 2018 with a new heavy duty clutch, new A/C compressor, brakes, Alpine audio, new headliner and Mr. Mike seats. Car in excellent drive away condition.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BuckyJunior (edited 06-24-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Master

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 Formula for sale. Red with gray interior. 5 speed. Paint is very nice. Custom wheels. Very nice stock car with 125k original. Needs nothing. 5k. My number is 515-460-0620.
avidflyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avidflyrSend a Private Message to avidflyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just listed on EBAY - 88 Gt-Automatic- Recent Paint (original Yellow)- sun Roof- most power options- Leather- many new parts- Dealer Maintained- Adult Driven- Florida Garaged Car
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Been up in the air about selling mine for some time now. Just putting it out there if interested.

I don't have to sell it...really don't want to sell it...but would if it fetches what I need.

Would have to look to make sure of mileage, but I believe it's between 110,000 -120,000 car is under cover at moment.

Grey interior in good shape. Factory radio...everything stock. 5spd. Runs and drives fine. Clutch is good.

I have the wing, it's in good shape...just don't personally like them.

Taillight lenses in good shape, all lights work, horn, all systems "go" except A/C....at very least needs charged, but I never bothered to make it work since I've owned the car, so I can't speak to the condition of the compressor, everything else appears to be in good order.

Will include wheels and tires in pics and the factory stock wheels, with good tires.

Would take $6,000 for the works.

Paint's not "perfect"..but in pretty good shape.

Have more pics if interested.

Thanks for looking....

HAGO!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock