Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Is there a market for Fiero fiberglass side scoops??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there a market for Fiero fiberglass side scoops?? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 06-19-2020 11:44 AM
Replies: 12 (495 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 06-24-2020 02:57 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing a market research study for a friend. I believe that he has the molds for the Fiero side scoops and if there is enough of a demand he might put them back in production.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis -

While I personally would not (I made my own), I can't see where he would lose with this venture. There will always be a market, especially if they are quality and reasonably priced. Start production with a short run and see how the market responds. If he has the molds, what's he got to lose?
87fiero2017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be interested depending on design
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt the market is very large? However, if there are already intact molds then why not? Make an investment and do 10 pulls of 10 sets and put them up for sale. I wouldn't expect to sell all of those sets very quickly, seems the modded Fiero community is sparse at best... more value in original equipment and restoration these days.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-19-2020 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the price that was recently discussed on another thread my answer would be, Not at that price.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would wait to see what happens with this project

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078438.html

The AusFiero scoops were arguably the nicest ones, and if these really do get reproduced , then I am not sure it makes sense to make different ones. Especially if these ones are not made from fiberglass, but are polyurethane or another flexible material
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I would wait to see what happens with this project

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078438.html

The AusFiero scoops were arguably the nicest ones, and if these really do get reproduced , then I am not sure it makes sense to make different ones. Especially if these ones are not made from fiberglass, but are polyurethane or another flexible material

I agree that the AusFiero scoops were very nice but didn't they use a special tapered lower door molding piece to match? If only one source for side scoops develops there is probably no room for a second source. Best to wait and see what happens. Going back there were at least 7 or 8 Fiero fiberglass suppliers that I can recall but today there are maybe two or three.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I agree that the AusFiero scoops were very nice but didn't they use a special tapered lower door molding piece to match? If only one source for side scoops develops there is probably no room for a second source. Best to wait and see what happens. Going back there were at least 7 or 8 Fiero fiberglass suppliers that I can recall but today there are maybe two or three.

They did have a tapered piece that cam with them but you could leave the stock trim piece on and they flowed right into that.
Even though I had the tapered piece I used the stock ones because I didn`t like how the tapered part that went on the part of the front fender looked.
it didn`t look finished to me.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-22-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2020 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice looking car, there. Is that a reworked Honda Civic lower molding under the door?
Larry Hubbert

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry HubbertSend a Private Message to Larry HubbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine (James Cleary of Fieromotive in St. Petersburg, FL) purchased the FieroFiberglass IMSA Side Scoop molds about a year ago, however to date he has not produced any since he is still working on fixing them properly (his words not mine). He has also purchased additional Fiero molds for front and rear GT bumper covers, Corvette taillight assemblies (round and square styles) from others who have since ceased production and is currently in the process of reworking them as well, since he says he only wants to produce Quality Parts (commendable) at a fair price. The big thing here is what do people feel is a Fair Price, that is a big question. So as you can see it is not an easy market to get one's self into, beside it being a very limited market plus you need to have a product that is well liked by the majority of Fiero people. While there are just a few people left (Sage, a Canadian place) making Fiero Fiberglass parts I wish your friend as well as all the rest the very best of luck in entering and selling their products in the current and future Fiero marketplace.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a set for my sons car.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There will always be a market for these, however, nowadays I believe the market is soft. I'd only recommend having 3-4 pairs on the shelf at any one time. Kind of a sell one - make one kind of thing.

Rob
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Really nice looking car, there. Is that a reworked Honda Civic lower molding under the door?

No, Fiero Fiberglass used to make these pieces that attached to the rockers which flared it on both ends.
I moulded mine in.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock