STRUT TOWER CAPS by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 05-21-2020 11:28 AM
Replies: 13 (425 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-31-2020 07:03 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for ideas on what can be used as Strut tower caps on an '87 GT. Something to cover those unsightly tower bolts. Thinking of cutting a small black rubber ball in half, but I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks,
R
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't those already covered by the air vent grills?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-21-2020).]

Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

Looking for ideas on what can be used as Strut tower caps on an '87 GT. Something to cover those unsightly tower bolts. Thinking of cutting a small black rubber ball in half, but I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks,
R

I went with this route to cover that area. But I have the GT grills to cover most of it, the parts I made are a back wall and cover from the grill to the trunk.

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis you're exactly right, at this point I'm looking for any cosmetic upgrades I can find---just getting picky.
R
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RPYRAZOO

457 posts
Member since Aug 2006
EASY8: Beautiful !!!!
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EASY8: Beautiful !!!!

Thanks, I have shown this car like this a couple of times and no one has even noticed this much less commented on it.... all that work and it gets over looked.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine's not even close to yours and I know how much it takes just to keep it up.
R
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has a ring to replace the 3 oval washers:
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=407

You can switch to all stainless steel studs, nuts, and washers (My Level 1 coilover kit comes standard with these).

In 2003, I switched to using stainless button heads for the struts on my personal Fieros (requires welding a nut on the bottom vs. having a stud).

Or you can further modify the strut tower and make a new cover plate (this is an 88 strut tower with the strut moved inboard 1"). This is also an example of not using the inboard engine vent bracket and only use the two front dowels and the outboard fastener to hold the decklid engine vents in (fastbacks as well as coupes).

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ideas.
R
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked into what sizes of metal dust caps (for trailer axles, front wheel bearings, etc) are available?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis you're exactly right, at this point I'm looking for any cosmetic upgrades I can find---just getting picky.
R

Yes I can relate to that. I ordered the metal plate from Rodney that replaces the plastic access cover near the dog bone mount. Looks neat. If you want to cover the strut tower hole, you may be limited by the height available under the air grill.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-26-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
walking the junkyard I found a few different things that work. One of them is the rubber strut tops on a 3rd Gen Firebird. I think they need some minor cutting but then they fit right on. They are rubber so when the engine covers are over them, they push down and remain in place. I also removed the large ring and used some thick washers under the strut bolts.

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input, all ideas are great, but I think olejoedad's front hub caps are the easiest way to go for me. All I have to do is find the correct diameter cap, give 'em a little spritz of Rust oleam satin black and my mini project is finished.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you going to do with the decklid vent brackets? They poke down into that strut tower hole.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-31-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock