Notchback Fiero LED Tail Light Conversion Kit by Nospeedlimit55
Started on: 04-08-2020 06:26 PM
Replies: 14 (1296 views)
Last post by: Nospeedlimit55 on 05-03-2020 09:07 PM
Nospeedlimit55

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2020 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Notchback Fiero LED Tail Light Conversion Kits

*** Project Update ***

After searching the internet high and low for a custom looking LED upgrade for the tail lights of my new SE project car, I quickly found that there are several available options for the GT model to choose from. But nothing outside of a plug and play bulb replacement that I could find currently being produced for the "other" Fiero out there. So I decided to create a solid LED upgrade option specifically designed for our beloved Notchback Fiero! I had originally intended this project to be a custom one-off upgrade for my car only. Something unique that no one else had. But after completing this project and subsequently receiving numerous requests to "Make Me a Set" after showing off the finished product, it just made sense for me to offer this product in a simple self install kit form and let all you DIY Notchback Fiero fanatics take advantage of this 3rd Generation design which couldn't be easier to install!

DESIGN CONCEPT
Several guiding principles helped shape this kit:
A. Keep it Simple! No elaborate wiring, modules or programmable displays.
B. Retain the OEM look when unlit.
C. Use Quality Electronic and Structural parts to ensure durability in an automotive application.
D. Incorporate a Pontiac Flair or Vibe to the lighting layout design.

With these design objectives in mind, this kit checks all the boxes!!!

Starting off with Super Bright 5050 SMD Red LED light strips encased in a hard Acrylic tub. These light sticks are durable, waterproof and ideally suited to this application with 2 LED's per each square (or rectangle) in the red OEM lens producing a very uniform and even lighting presentation across each row of lights. Each light stick comes pre-assembled and ready to install directly to the back side of the OEM lenes with strong glazing strip tape. This mounting design offers solid structural rigidity and a more focused lighting presentation with better light control between rows. Kit also includes (4) Acrylic Diffuser inserts custom cut specifically for the parallel running light rows which produces a more "Frosted" (softer/less intense) light vs. Brake/TS light rows helping differentiate the light rows when all are lit simultaneously (see above photo). This also improves daytime visibility of Brake/TS lights.
This kit also allows for design creativity in how you position the individual light sticks. I've chosen a pattern that I feel really compliments the shape and grid design of the original tail lights and adds that Firebird/GTO flavor with the stacked horizontal light bars and staggered brake light layout, but you may have other ideas in mind!?! These light sticks can be positioned anywhere across each of the 5 rows in the lens creating any pattern layout you like. So get creative and have fun with it, or follow my pattern if you like This Look...

RUNNING LIGHTS
Centered in the lens parallel to one another, these light rows (2&4) include custom cut diffuser inserts producing a more "frosted" light across these rows. This helps differentiate the running lights from the Brake/Turn Signal lights in both intensity and presentation.

BRAKE/TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS
Staggered top to bottom (rows 1,3,5) offer a brighter, more intense light and operate as the original combo Brake/TS lights did.

Conversion Kit includes (revised):
(10) SuperBright 18 Red LED light sticks (w/pre-assembled harness)
(4) Acrylic Diffuser Inserts*
(1) LED Flasher Unit
(1) Tube Loctite Gel Cement
(8) T-tap Connectors
(4) Harness Lead Wire Connectors
(4) Rubber Seal Strips
(1) Installation Instruction Sheet w/step by step instructions and illustrations.
* Additional 6 Pack of Diffusers custom cut for specific row placement available to complete a full set of 10 = $10.00 additional (photo above includes all 10 diffuser strips)

Updated Kit Contents

As you can see several improvements have been worked into the design making this an even better value than before!
- Gone are the dual Circuit Resistors in favor of using a LED Flasher Unit. This one change alone improves this kit in several ways. a. It's now easier to install by eliminating the extra 4 wire taps and having to drilling mounting holes for the resistors in this confined area. Just simply upgrade the existing flasher unit to solve the TS operation issue with LED lights. b. It's safer in that resistors put off a lot of heat. The previous design included resistors, 1/4" shims, and sheet metal screws all in an effort to avoid melting any plastic pieces in this confided area. c. This method now readies the entire turn signal system (front and rear) for LED compatibility should you choose to update the front indicators in the future!
- Lighting system now comes pre-wired with separate harnesses for each circuit (2 per side) making installation even easier. Harnesses include sturdy push-in style connector blocks and water tight Harness Plugs for a much easier installation process and improved ease in future serviceability. Just install the taps and Plug It In!
- Rubber Seal Strips have also been added to this kit for the recesses in the tail light housings. It's a small thing, but having everything you need included makes it.....
YES! That much easier to complete.

Virtually all you need to complete this conversion project is in here! And it really is a very simple and easy project to complete.

Disclaimer:
Installation of this kit DOES require the slight alteration of your original light buckets. A small recess is needed in two places per bucket to allow the top row of lights to be mounted to the lens. This approximately 1/2" recess is easily exacted with a Dremel or small cutting tool, and affects an area smaller than a dime (OK, It's a Quarter) per recess. Photos of the recesses are included in this thread below.

PRESALE
This is an exclusive presale opportunity for the PFF community so don't miss out. I have gained So Much Knowledge and have connected with So Many Great People from this forum that I wanted to start this project off by giving a little back to this tremendous community as a way of saying THANK YOU ALL!!! It's because of the support and input I've received surrounding this project and initial launch from many friends here, that I have the pleasure of announcing the end of this presale event.

ONE MORE WEEK
Presale ends on Sunday May 10, 2020
This is your last chance to lock in our presale pricing and free shipping. AND as a final Thank You to all those who have supported this project...
All Presale Kits purchased by this deadline will receive 2 Extra Free LED Light Sticks ($60 Value) as spares, should any of your new kit lights stop working in the future. Not that I think they will, but nothing lasts forever! And having a couple of back ups in hand will surely come in handy eventually.
This project NEVER would have lifted off if it weren't for this forum and the passionate enthusiasts who've contributed.
So again, Many Thanks to you all!

I am taking any last pre-orders for these kits at $225 usd per kit which includes Free Shipping within the continental U.S. at this time. All Confirmed orders will be shipped within 72 hours of tne presale closing date. All future orders will ship within 48 hours of order confirmation.

Reply here or direct message me with any questions you may have, or to get on the list.

Thanks for looking and Stay Safe everyone!

------------------
http://i1254.photobucket.co...ero7_zpsac0c659f.jpg
Low Expectations!!!

[This message has been edited by Nospeedlimit55 (edited 05-04-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Ron

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero RonSend a Private Message to Fiero RonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm’ed

This looks like a nice quality kit, definitely worth the price. Love the design, it looks like a beautiful upgrade for the notchback. I hope this takes off because it’s a great idea. I love seeing PFF members making nice parts for our Fiero’s. Keep us posted and stay safe!

Ron
Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ron,
I gotta say I was just thrilled with the way this turned out! And with all this time on our hands...
Hoping this appeals to others looking for a fun diversion right about now.

Yours will be the first to ship out!
SickFiero86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SickFiero86Send a Private Message to SickFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a company that makes led panels for the notchback I have a set. Will post a pic.
SickFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SickFiero86Send a Private Message to SickFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SickFiero86

26 posts
Member since Jun 2014
I'll post a better picture later. They are right behind the Munson light buckets.
Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to uncover a couple of previously produced kits, but was not able to locate a vendor selling any of them at this time.
That certainly would have saved me loads of time in developing this product but at the end of the day, I like the looks of this kit better than any other I ran across.

And us notchie owners will NEVER complain about too many upgrade options to choose from!!!
SickFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SickFiero86Send a Private Message to SickFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh forsure! Notchie life forever haha your kit does look very nice. The kit i have is sequential turns and brake. If I get another notch ill have to hit you up.
SickFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SickFiero86Send a Private Message to SickFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SickFiero86

26 posts
Member since Jun 2014
Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2020 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't have too many
eyewall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eyewallSend a Private Message to eyewallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested, so put me on the list. Thanks Chuck
Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha Chuck!
PM sent
PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2020 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like a set too

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tweeder,
Adding you to the list!

Initial response has been a bit slow in light of all that is going on right now, but we're half way to the launch # of 10 kits pre-ordered. So I have made the initial investment and have product on the way to begin assembling kits for shipment. Supply shipping logistics have also been slower than expected although I anticipate a mid to late May launch with kits ready to be shipped and installed! At that time I will update the original post with the new photos with additional day and night shots of the finished install, contents of kits you will receive, updated details on shipping as well as some small changes/improvements to this kits design and contents which make it an even easier install than before!

Again, feel free to message me with any questions you may have.
Paid orders lock your place in line for delivery.

Stay Tuned and Stay Safe!
Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2020 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have received several requests for more details on the required alteration to the Tail Light Housing needed to install this kit. Understandably this is one of the major concerns most interested buyers have in deciding whether or not this kit is right for them. So here are a few photos of the completed recess areas and how the light stick sits within the recesses.

As you can see the recessed areas are 1/2 inch wide x 1/2 inch deep, and do not affect the structural integrity of the housings. Detailed instructions on exacting these cuts are included in the instruction sheet and should take approx. 45 to 60 minutes to complete both sides. Using a small Dremel and stone disk grinder bit makes quick work of this task! Rubber adhesive seal strips are also provided in the kit to close up these recesses ensuring a water tight interior lens environment.

Hope this helps clarify this potential concern. Please feel free to reply or massage me with any other questions you may have. Presale event is quickly coming to a close!
I'll have new updates on production in the next few days.

Stay Tuned...

[This message has been edited by Nospeedlimit55 (edited 05-02-2020).]

Nospeedlimit55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2020 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nospeedlimit55Send a Private Message to Nospeedlimit55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PRESALE ENDING

Sunday May 10th is the last day to lock in your order!
Check out the original post for updates and a special Thank You offer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock