Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  WTB: IMSA GTU / SCCA GT2 / Huffaker tube frame Fiero (basket case / roller / ???)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
WTB: IMSA GTU / SCCA GT2 / Huffaker tube frame Fiero (basket case / roller / ???) by Craig71188
Started on: 03-07-2020 09:48 AM
Replies: 26 (1795 views)
Last post by: Craig71188 on 02-13-2023 07:29 AM
Craig71188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE! Formula car sold - Ready to buy!
I know several of these have changed hands over the past few years (and no, I am not in the market for the Goodwrench Heritage Center Car). I am looking for a (more or less) complete roller, basket case or possibly complete car with driveline. History, provenance unimportant. I am looking to build a track day / time trial / hillclimb car in the original notch configuration just because I have always wanted one and am finally (almost) in a position to do it. If you have or know of one of these chassis, please let me know. As you can see, I am not in a hurry, but if I really had to, I may be able to act quickly. It just seemed it was time to see what might be out there / could be available soon. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Craig71188 (edited 08-05-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
legutt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for leguttSend a Private Message to leguttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know where there is one. It is complete and race ready. First class. PM me some of your requirements and your budget. I know the quality of the car because I sold it to him. If you meet criteria, I'll put you two together. This is not a "collector car" . It is a race car. He has not given me permission to share his information. I'll contact him and see if he's interested. I will not share any information publicly on the forum.

PM only! The car is in South Carolina.

[This message has been edited by legutt (edited 03-13-2020).]

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM (email) Sent. Thank you!
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still looking. The first lead hasn't panned out (car is there, owner may not be ready to sell yet) - looking for others just in case!!!

[This message has been edited by Craig71188 (edited 04-10-2020).]

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Memorial Day Update - a little chit chat...

No more word on the first lead.

The car that was sold out of Columbus, OH went to northern, KY (Cincinnati area) and then the the best of everyone's knowledge that was involved with the car, never resurfaced - doing some digging through some contacts in the area

Had word of a couple (same ones?) in the Carolina's that are being worked on - may be for sale soon, but at least one was going to ne a GTO conversion (V8 w/Porsche gearbox) - not what I was looking for and probably too much $$$

Fiero bodied car raced out of Canada - nor for sale and is front engine/RWD w/Fiero (ish ) bodywork

Still looking - finances are at a point I could move quickly if I found the right car!!!
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited...information corrected by another source...never mind.

[This message has been edited by Craig71188 (edited 08-05-2020).]

Villain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that will be for sale soon, email me or shoot me a text, 4074739350
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!
I sold my formula car and new garage space is moving.
1) Initial lead in SC has gone cold - no response from owner
2) PA lead is all quiet (Huffaker chassis had been modded for Porsche bodywork/drivetrain)
3) Possible car in FL - but later chassis w/longitudinal V6 vs. earlier "traditionally mounted 4 cyl)
4) Couple of other "leads" that turned out to NOT be tube chassis cars.

Thanks to all who have shared information - still looking. Seems these things are cyclical, several pop up then it gets quiet again. Hoping something comes to market again...
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beyond my budget - and out of the country.....

https://www.racingjunk.com/...offset=0&from=search

Still looking...
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Craig71188:

Beyond my budget - and out of the country.....

https://www.racingjunk.com/...offset=0&from=search

Still looking...

30K US dollars?? Don't think so... Looks cool, though.

Bob
Speedracerfx1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2020 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Speedracerfx1Send a Private Message to Speedracerfx1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE!
4) Couple of other "leads" that turned out to NOT be tube chassis cars.

Thanks to all who have shared information - still looking. Seems these things are cyclical, several pop up then it gets quiet again. Hoping something comes to market again...

Were any of those leads IMSA kits? If so, I'm not looking for a tube chassis car, so I'd be interested.

PFF
System Bot
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Speedracerfx1:

Were any of those leads IMSA kits? If so, I'm not looking for a tube chassis car, so I'd be interested.

Sorry, no IMSA body kit cars. I think there is still one for sale in PA ($10K?) that I stumbled across. But if one gets offered up, I would be happy to share.
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Craig71188

124 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by RCR:

30K US dollars?? Don't think so... Looks cool, though.

Bob

The gearbox and gear sets alone are likely worth $15K - $20K. The SD motors (mostly parts) are likely another $5K-$10K in parts (or more). Being a later chassis with the engine mounted longitudinally opens up the options for virtually any motor.

I think there is value there, but...lots of work and you have to get it imported to the U.S. If I hit the lottery, I would be tempted (very tempted!), but my current plans/budget call for an earlier transverse mounted engine/chassis.
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Year bump and update.

The owner of the Csaba Csera car in SC - it is being prepared for some vintage racing and not currently for sale. The car in the Dominican republic is still for sale - but still exceeds my budget... The other cars have dried up as far as any additional information.

I would be interested in a set of the blueprints as well. I "may" have located some uprights that were spares for a car a friend previously owned.

I also ran across a car that may be here in the midwest, but so far, finding contact information for the owner has eluded me. It is possible this is the car that used to be owned locally as mentioned above.

The search continues....

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you maybe looking for this, see photos..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...349624.m46890.l49292
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

Here you maybe looking for this, see photos..

Thanks! Yes, I have most of this data already. Still would like a set of the "full size" plans though.....
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car in the Dominican republic is still for sale - but still exceeds my budget... The other cars have dried up as far as any additional information.

The three Fieros that were raced in The Dominican Republic where campained by Maximo Sarraff, Manen Mendez and Tony Canahuate.
There was another one canpained by Juan Ventos in Puerto Rico. I spent most of my teenage years as an apprentice at Canahuate Speed Shop. I didn't personally worked on the Fiero because when he got his I was already gone to the US. All the apprenticeship I did was on his Datsun 240Z GTU IMSA car.

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2021 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

The three Fieros that were raced in The Dominican Republic where campained by Maximo Sarraff, Manen Mendez and Tony Canahuate.
There was another one canpained by Juan Ventos in Puerto Rico. I spent most of my teenage years as an apprentice at Canahuate Speed Shop. I didn't personally worked on the Fiero because when he got his I was already gone to the US. All the apprenticeship I did was on his Datsun 240Z GTU IMSA car.

The car currently for sale is Tony's. No word on the other two. I do vaguely remember one from Puerto Rico "back in the day". There was someone in the U.S. trying to broker the car for Tony and sell it at a "landed" cost in the U.S., but the dollars were still way beyond my budget. However, I see the Powerball is still available.....
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony is a wizard when it comes to setting up the chassis and engine for maxmimum acceleration. The local track (back in the 80's) was a maze. They brought Porsches 934s, 935's,
911 RSR's, BMW M1, Corvette with 454 CI, etc and nothing could beat that 2.4L in line 6 Datsun engined tubular frame 240Z. It was set up for maximum acceleration off the corners and I apply that today to all my builds. The 2.4 Datsun engine had aluminum rods. I took it appart after every race, inspect all the parts and re assemble it for the next race. All that at 15 years old.

This is the car I worked on for 4 years.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

The super duty literature

Thanks John, but most likely not going SD power "if" we find the chassis we're looking for (and can afford!)
PFF
System Bot
FIERO JOHN-WI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few updates (nothing purchased yet - still looking for leads):
1) The racing junk ad for the car in the Dominican Republic is gone, but rumor is the price is down to $20K (plus shipping)
2) Another Huffaker-Spice car has surface in Puerto Rico - in pieces w/no spares, price TBD (the Juan Ventos car mentioned above - now with a different owner)
3) A GT1 tube frame Fiero has been located in FL, but no details yet on the basis for the chassis - It has a longitudinally mounted GM 90 degree V6
4) The white car shown above - well, still no word/contact. It is believed to be in the Midwest, but this is only a guess.

I may be willing to sell off my spare caged '88 chassis to help up my budget if anyone is looking to build an SCCA IT, LeMons, Champcar Fiero!

[This message has been edited by Craig71188 (edited 02-19-2021).]

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2021 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just back from Florida (Columbus OH to Miami, FL) left 6:00 am Thursday, back 10:00 Saturday.
Purchased a tube frame GT1 Fiero that has been sitting for over 20 years. Commissioned and built for the original owner by John Gunn. Ran 4 regional raced then parked/stored till now. 4.5L 90 degree V6 )w/Pontiac badged parts). Basically an ex-Nascar motor, approx 500 hp in a 2000lb car. Will need a lot of love, but lots of great parts in this car. 1 of 1. More info and pics in a new thread once I get a chance to
a: Sleep
b: Sort through the documentation with the car

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2021 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you found one!
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2021 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool!
Keep us posted.

------------------
Paul

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2023 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dragging tis old topic back to life. GT1 Fiero is up and running. I have purchased an ex-Kelly Girl / IMSA / Trans AM privateer Camaro I am going to start on next....or would trade for a GT2 / GTU Fiero if someone were interested (yea, I know...but you have to ask or you never get...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock