Started on: 01-29-2020 09:13 PM
Replies: 34 (1338 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 11-19-2022 12:17 AM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Pontiac SD4 engine, race prepared Getrag, Weber carbs, MSD ignition and SD half shafts that I won't likely use. I decided to go in a different direction. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of tech data on this engine as of now. I had details in a file, but haven't been able to find the file. So I will do my best to find any answers I can. But for now...

The engine, I was told, is the same series as the SD engine that was in the official Pace Car. Here are some pictures...

Race Getrag - SOLD

Super Duty half shafts. Box has John Callies name on it.

If anyone is interested, we can discuss it here. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 03-12-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is "Race prepared" ? Is it usable on the street? Or has it straight-cut gears, etc?

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know the compression ratio? And how long has it been sitting?
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

What is "Race prepared" ? Is it usable on the street? Or has it straight-cut gears, etc?

As I understand it, certain parts are “cryo-treated”, supposed to make them stronger. And yes, the gears are straight-cut. Supposedly not easy to drive on the street.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by liv4God:

Do you know the compression ratio? And how long has it been sitting?

Don’t know. As far as I do know, it’s a dead stock SD. It’s been sitting in my shop for at least ten years.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
I’ve asked the guy I bought the parts from to help answer questions. Hopefully, he will join us.

The parts were bought by my friend from Canadian racer Jack Ondrak.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
One more thing...I have Fieros for sale, if you need a platform to build on.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool race parts.

If anyone is looking for something that runs on regular gas and to go to the local Home Depot in they obviously clicked on the wrong thread. The title should have been a hint.

Good luck with the sale.
legutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for leguttSend a Private Message to leguttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am interested. Sent private message and received no response.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by legutt:

Am interested. Sent private message and received no response.

Sorry, yesterday was super bowl, I had a big party.

As I said in my reply email, it is difficult to get to an asking price for this SD stuff because it it very specialized stuff and it isn’t easy to find comparable sales. I know what I paid for it, but I likely overpaid. I’ll see if I can come up with some asking prices, possibly today. But anything I come up with must have some supporting data and be well thought out. Fair enough?
PFF
System Bot
legutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for leguttSend a Private Message to leguttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'll be waiting. Sorry about your team. Mine did pretty good. Backtracked my old e-mail...Didn't get one.

[This message has been edited by legutt (edited 02-03-2020).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. I'll be waiting. Sorry about your team. Mine did pretty good. Backtracked my old e-mail...Didn't get one.

I responded in forum PM

And thanks. My team lost to a better team. They are young, I see them in the hunt again.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 02-03-2020).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
I rolled the pallet with the SD stuff out into the sun, so I could get better pictures. I'll break this up into separate posts for each component. I'll start with the long block.

I was told this is the same series engine as the official Pace Car, which is a big reason why I was interested. I planned to build a Pace Car with the Super Duty block as a real Pace Car replica, so to speak. I figured it would be a show car and track car, since it wouldn't be streetable. Because of the specialty nature of the engine and parts, repairing it would be a pain in the ass...and expensive. So I abandoned the project. I hope to build a Pace Car replica on an 88 chassis with a Cadillac 4.9 instead, something I could drive on the street.

Putting an asking price on this is difficult. It's not easy to find Pontiac SD prices on exactly the long block I have. So I put together what I'd seen as asking prices on other Forum threads, including one that has been active recently.

KRP racing block 1500, SD block (unknown series) 800-1000
Crank 500-1000
Cam 100
Head 850 (2014), 1000 (2018)
Valve cover 200 (found only one example FS in archive search, 2014)

So for the long block, with valve cover, head, block, cam, and crank, it looks like $3,000?

Block

Valve cover

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Block details

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Weber carbs. I couldn't find any comparables for same currently or in the past. I seem to remember the purchase price was 1100-1300. Let's call it $1,000

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Race prepared Getrag. I'm hazy on the details, and hopefully the guy who sold this stuff to me will have info I've forgotten. What I recall is that some of the internals are cryo-treated for strength, and the gears are straight-cut. In the pictures below, note the safety wire on some of the bolts. One negative is that I don't remember the gear ratios. It was for a race car, but I don't remember what specific application (type of race). Road course, maybe?

In a search, I see used Getrags going for the $300 range, although most of the dates on the threads were 2015 or earlier. This is a race transmission, basically. Not sure how to price it, so make offers?

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Almost forgot the half shafts. As I understand it, these were from the Pontiac Racing division. The box has John Callies name on it, along with some other GM identifications. I want to first find out if these would work with my planned 4.9 swap.

I believe this is a Limited Slip Differential

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

KRP racing block 1500, SD block (unknown series) 800-1000
Crank 500-1000
Cam 100
Head 850 (2014), 1000 (2018)
Valve cover 200 (found only one example FS in archive search, 2014)

So for the long block, with valve cover, head, block, cam, and crank, it looks like $3,000?

KRP is Kauffman Racing Products now known as Kauffman Racing Equipment, a long time premier top Pontiac engine builder. Hardcore Pontiac people know the name well. Novices hear the name Butler, Kauffman is what Butler strives to be someday.

If the price is right, I would be interested in the axles or at least all the packaging from them.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-03-2020).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump> Looks like good stuff for anyone looking...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

legutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for leguttSend a Private Message to leguttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

Just thought I'd say publicly, thanks for all the PM information. It was quite helpful.

[This message has been edited by legutt (edited 02-14-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
oldrock2401

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Message sent.

------------------
--- 86 GT, my pride and joy (currently undergoing turbo 3.8 swap)

Fieroeddie

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2020 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroeddieSend a Private Message to FieroeddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John,

Just thought I'd say publicly, thanks for all the PM information. It was quite helpful.

Thank you for your interest and information. It’s been nice chatting with you, whether we can make a deal or not.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by oldrock2401:

Message sent.

Didn’t see a PM
RichLo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLo1Send a Private Message to RichLo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that differential for the Getgrag?
James G

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James GSend a Private Message to James GEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the blue plugs on the side of the transmission
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RichLo1:

Is that differential for the Getgrag?

I assume so. I bought everything as a package.

I have an interested buyer for the Getrag. If that doesn't work out, I'll let you know.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by James G:

What are the blue plugs on the side of the transmission

Those are bolts with blue paint on them. They go into what I assume is a custom boss on the outside of the transmission, probably part of the strengthening of the transmission for race purposes.

James G

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James GSend a Private Message to James GEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, but didn't hear back. Could you please respond.
Thanks
James G

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James GSend a Private Message to James GEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

James G

25 posts
Member since Feb 2020
Any chance that I can call you about the transmission
Thanks
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James G:

Any chance that I can call you about the transmission
Thanks

I currently have a buyer for the transmission. I’ll let you know if it doesn’t work out.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Race Getrag SOLD

First post edited
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2022 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is any of this stuff still available ?

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,204.1 miles
87 GT custom______2007GSXR 1000
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2022 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Is any of this stuff still available ?

All sold, but thanks. I hope you are well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock