WTB 4T40 VSS / Governor by jaybug56
Started on: 09-27-2019 04:26 PM
Replies: 6 (236 views)
Last post by: jaybug56 on 10-03-2019 10:39 PM
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2019 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for the VSS components to finish my transmission swap.
Not having any luck at the local Pick 'n Pull yards so I'm asking for help from anyone that may have unused parts laying around

Below you can see the difference between the stock cap and the taller unit that I need. It looks like the VSS out of our stock TH125 You just take off that pin and the sensor comes out.

I think I also need the governor shaft.
You can see that both drive gears (bottom one) are the same.

Images are borrowed from another thread

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2019 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive gears look the same but the groove in the shaft is in a different position and that has something to do with shifting pressure / points i believe. It is possible to swap the top gears over so you retain the original shaft. I had the same situation going from a th125 to a 4t60 that had a different vss and got a taller cap from charlietranny.com.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same situation a couple years ago when I converted to a 4T60. I ended up finding the parts I needed from the local Pull a Part.
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Had the same situation a couple years ago when I converted to a 4T60. I ended up finding the parts I needed from the local Pull a Part.

Yup. I have been looking for 2 years now. Mid 80's cars in junk yards in the Midwest are hard to come by now days. Most of those passed thru the yards 5 - 10 years ago

jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hoddy:

The drive gears look the same but the groove in the shaft is in a different position and that has something to do with shifting pressure / points i believe. It is possible to swap the top gears over so you retain the original shaft. I had the same situation going from a th125 to a 4t60 that had a different vss and got a taller cap from charlietranny.com.

A big thank you for the tip on charlietranny.com
I was able to still order the correct VSS cap and then I used the speed sensor from the TH125 and pressed on the green gear onto the 4T40 governor shaft

Now if the rain will ever stop I can get outside and put it back in the car and go for a test drive

Thank you hoddy

hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please let us know if it is successful. Especially interested to see if the speedo is accurate as have had other people contact me regarding this.
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hoddy:

Please let us know if it is successful. Especially interested to see if the speedo is accurate as have had other people contact me regarding this.

SUCCESS It works now.
Speedometer seems a little off on the high side, but the guy who burns chips for me should be able to tweak that

[This message has been edited by jaybug56 (edited 10-03-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock