Custom GT fastback tail lamp restoration service by gtoformula
Started on: 08-31-2019 10:37 PM
Replies: 10 (532 views)
Last post by: gtoformula on 10-06-2019 11:11 AM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2019 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to my standard restoration service, I can restore tail lights using body color instead of black. Your refurbished tail lights will be the same color as the exterior paint of your car (with obvious exception of the clear areas for turn signal, brake light and P O N T I A C lettering).

The process is as follows:
• complete disassembly and cleaning of all components.
• polishing of the clear inner lenses.
• prep the outer surface of the lenses with wet/dry sandpaper.
• apply 1/8" striping tape around the large lens opening (turn signal, brake light area) and also each letter of P O N T I A C that are back lit in red.
• spray a thin coat of paint on the lenses.
• remove all taping and then lightly sand the painted areas to reduce the paint edges.
• spray the lenses with two part professional grade clear coat. Cures hard as a rock.
• final sand with 3000 grit and machine polish for a very shiny, clear surface.
• reassemble the components using black weather-strip adhesive.

Here's how this will work:
- send me a PM and we'll swap contact info.
- I will need to know the color paint that you want on your lenses. Either the factory paint code or description so that I can match the color.
- ship your tail lamps or lenses to me (you'll save money on shipping by just sending me the lenses) ... that's where all the work is done anyway. Here's a link on how to separate the lenses from the housing if you want to go that route: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000042.html
- use good packaging as I'll be sending the completed lenses back to you in the same packaging.
- when I receive them I will send you a confirmation message along with any issues that I find ... cracks, deep gouges, factory flaws (yes, I've seen several ). This is to ensure that we both know any limitations prior to my beginning work.
- I may be able to repair some cracks in the lenses ... particularly when they're confined to the black area of the lens. I use a very fine viscosity super glue, but if the crack is too fine, or too large, it may not completely repair the crack. Also, if the crack extends into the clear portion of the lens they that will show after the process has been completed.
- I cannot repair any broken plastic "hooks" on the housings that clip onto the lenses, but it doesn't matter much as the sealant used to reassemble them will hold it together.
- I can also repair the housing lower mounts for about $10 unless they are totally destroyed.
- when they're finished I'll follow up with another message and provide a total for the work and shipping. PayPal is accepted.

Turn around time will vary depending on weather and my schedule (I am retired and like to go camping).

The price for restoration of a set of tail lamps, if shipped with the housings, is $325. If I am shipped only the lenses then the amount will be $275. If interested, please send me a PM. That way I'll receive an email alerting me to your message. Don't plan on monitoring this post to check for updates.

[This message has been edited by gtoformula (edited 03-20-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2019 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM replied to.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished a couple more pair of refurbished tail lights. Had initially thought to offer this service with custom colors in the black area, but both customers opted to go with stock black. I have posted some pics of how these look before and after the refinishing. My photography skills are crap so there are reflections in the finished lenses from my dining room window, my T-shirt and me holding the camera.

The price remains $250/pair plus shipping. Turn around time is usually about a week. Who's next?

Passenger side before

Passenger side after

driver side TIAC before

TIAC after

side before

driver side after

PON before

PON after
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put them on the car and they look great! Job well done.

Thank very much

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 10-04-2019).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you ballpark what shipping would be to California (92592)? Do you ship in one box or two?
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notorio,
I pulled the following info from the USPS website. Obviously, the 3 day deal is way too expensive. Difference of about $13 between 3 day and ground (which takes about 5 days). I've shipped with both Priority Mail and Ground without incident. Actual shipping cost is determined by size and weight ... I used a box size of 33"x10"x12" and 17lbs. Build a bigger/heavier box and it could cost more. The ones I've shipped back the customers have opted to pay an extra $12 for insurance of $750 as that's at least what they're worth after the refurbishing has been completed. I have only used one box for shipping as the combined cost for two smaller boxes will be more than one large box. What I will ship back to you will be a pair of tail lights completely polished and ready to go ... you will only need to put them back in the car with the six long screws and you are ready to hit the road.

Large Package, weight 17 lb 0 oz (7.711 kg),
from LEWISVILLE TX 75077 to TEMECULA CA 92592

Priority Mail Express 2-Day™ $151.15
Priority Mail 3-Day™ $55.95
USPS Retail Ground® $42.53
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are pictures of the finished lenses on my car.

https://link.shutterfly.com/OmNiFQcYx0

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 10-05-2019).]

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the images of the refinished tail lights on your car ... much better photography than I was able to accomplish.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, thanks for putting together the shipping quotes. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I'll send you a PM.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. We'll swap contact info via PM and go from there.

Originally posted by Notorio:

Excellent, thanks for putting together the shipping quotes. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I'll send you a PM.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock