1988 Fiero GT - Not perfect but not a project car by Acroyer
Started on: 05-15-2019 07:58 PM
Replies: 4 (526 views)
Last post by: Acroyer on 05-20-2019 05:52 AM
Acroyer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, it's time. I have been tinkering with this thing for over half a year now, and i'm finally ready to let it go. The primary reason being that I can't keep working on this thing and working on my '81 Corvette. Having 2 classic cars that need upkeep is wearing thin, and the Corvette won the coin toss (well, it wasn't really that tough a decision).

So, let's go over everything about this car in excruciating detail.

OK, I am going to list everything I know about the car, the good and the bad, so you have a clear understanding of what it is I am selling, and what it is you are going to get.

First off, this car is 31 years old, and had NOT been kept in a bubble. It is not in the same shape it was when it left the factory. It is in good shape, though.

The car sat in a driveway for 2 years before I got ahold of it, so it does have some issues.
First off, the paint is not great. Looks decent from 20 feet away, but it definitely has flaws. There is no body damage except for a cut in the front bumper that is about an inch wide (you can see it in the pic). It can probably be fixed with some epoxy and a little sanding. The bumper itself has the spiderwebbing that plastic/urethane bumpers get as they age.

The rotors were new when it was parked, but rusted as it sat. They were sanded to get the car rolling, but should probably be turned to get rid of the wobble when the brakes are applied. The previous owner apparently had a security system installed, then removed it when he sold the car. Part of the security system must have dealt with ignition. I replaced the ignition switch and the starter, trying to track things down, but ended up putting a starter button in where the cigarette lighter used to be in the cabin. 99 times out of 100, the car will start with the key, but when it doesn't, you can hit the starter button and it works just fine. The cruise control has been disconnected, and I don't know enough about those to say if it is an easy fix or not. The car is still easy to drive long distances, because the gas pedal is close to the interior wall, and your foot naturally rests there. The fuel pump is new. The driver side door lock was broken, and I added a new door lock cylinder. It took some rigging, but the door lock works fine now. There is a separate key for the driver side door. Also, the power door locks are inoperative. I replaced the trunk switch, but the trunk does not pop. Probably a relay, which is a cheap and easy fix. I was told the headlight motors have been rehabbed with brass gears, and they work like they should. The headliner is missing, but I have new material and glue for it, I just haven't installed it yet. The rear speakers are not working, and again, I have replacement parts and extra panels, but haven't gotten around to changing it yet. I have done some freshening of the interior, and it looks nice, but not 100%. The seats could use steam cleaning, but there are no rips or tears. The dash has no cracks. The side vent areas do have wear, but I have covers for them. The car also has a nice JVC media player which sounds great with the dash speakers. The A/C works and has been converted professionally. I replaced the distributor, which was leaking and generally in bad shape. I replaced the "rear" spark plugs, but haven't done the ones near the firewall because I ran out of enthusiasm. Also, the muffler has a rust hole in it. I have patched it and covered it with a sheet of galvanized steel. Sounds better, but the car could probably use a new one. The passenger-side quarter window was hit in the front lower corner by my father when he was moving a ladder in the garage. This broke off the corner. I glued the pieces back together and covered the area with some carbon fiber vinyl. Not perfect, but presentable. The windows themselves have some crazing and marks when you look at them from different angles, but are not cracked.

The car runs well. The electrical connector going to the trans which controls the torque converter lockup has a broken clip, so currently it is taped in place. It works, though. The IAC could use adjusting after doing the distributor. It idles a little high, but I haven't found any vacuum leaks.

The rear tires are in great shape and the fronts are less than a year old.

Last Friday I heard a terrible screeching and a weird whistling noise, and the worn-out waterpump/alternator belt disintegrated. I put a new belt on, and it was fine for a day or two, but now squeaks on startup. It needs tightened, and I just haven't gotten to it (see lack of enthusiasm above).

My listing of everything wrong with it makes it sound like a pile of junk, but it's not. I get compliments all the time about what great shape it is in.

The antenna is missing in the pics. I have it, I just like the looks of it without.

The title is clean, but the mileage is incorrect. Somewhere in its past, a previous owner stated it already had 160,000 miles on it instead of 60,000. I have the title in hand, just not notarized.

I also forgot to mention that the gas gauge works, but is not 100% accurate. When it reads 1/4 tank, you really have about 1 gallon left.

That's it. No surprises; you get exactly what I have listed. If you buy it, when you show up, the car will be just what I said it to be. Oh, and I will be keeping my plates, since they are "vanity" plates, so you will need to bring something if you plan to drive it away.

How much, you ask? Let's skip the haggling where I start out wanting $10,000 and you offer 2 tickets to Avengers:Endgame and a bag of Skittles...

$4K and drive it away.

That's it. 4,000 measly dollars.

Here is a link to my Flickr album. Hopefully, it works.
Tony's Fiero
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just in case anyone is curious; this is what I am keeping instead of the fiero.

Indiana87GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana87GTSend a Private Message to Indiana87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s a nice looking ‘81, if you are on FB check out the “1981[ Corvette Owners” group, private group for owners only with a little under 500 members, a good resource. I have an ‘81 as well, have had a couple of fieros over the years, still check in here sometimes.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Acroyer:

[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Indiana87GT (edited 05-19-2019).]

Indiana87GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana87GTSend a Private Message to Indiana87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Indiana87GT

258 posts
Member since Feb 2009

Originally posted by Acroyer:

Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'm not on FB, but my wife is. I'll have her check it out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock