GT fastback tail lamp restoration service by gtoformula
Started on: 03-10-2019 12:31 PM
Replies: 18 (1106 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 05-08-2023 01:17 AM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE (11-11-2023) Starting next year, I will only be able to work on tail lamps from October-May. During part of May through October I will be out of state and unable to work on these lenses. If you are considering have me restore your tail lamps, please note these dates and plan accordingly. Thank you.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
After a four year hiatus, I have decided to offer my Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service again. I stopped doing them when Keith Goodyear came out with his replacement lenses as I didn't want him to have competition for his outstanding efforts to bring us new parts. Now that those new lenses are no longer available, I can do restorations again without interfering with his business.

Below is a link to Rodney Dickman's website where he recommends my service.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=373

*****NEW DEAL***** The price for restoration of a set of tail lamps, if shipped with the housings, is $425. If I am shipped only the lenses then the amount will be $350. If interested, please send me a PM. That way I'll receive an email alerting me to your message.
Thanks,
Rick
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am offering a Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service as did Napoleon_Tanerite was doing until about a year ago. I have swapped messages with him and he is OK with my offering this service. Pretty much duplicating his services except I don't paint the housing black ... doesn't show when mounted on the car. Here is the link to his post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073299.html

The process is as follows:
• complete disassembly and cleaning of all components.
• polishing of the clear inner lenses.
• prep the outer surface of the lenses with wet/dry sandpaper.
• apply 1/8" striping tape around the large lens opening (turn signal, brake light area) and also each letter of P O N T I A C that are back lit in red.
• spray a thin coat of black paint on the lenses.
• remove all taping and then lightly sand the black painted areas to reduce the paint edges.
• spray the lenses with two part professional grade clear coat. Cures hard as a rock.
• final polish for a very shiny, clear surface.
• reassemble the components using black weather-strip adhesive (if restoring the complete assemblies).

Here's how this will work:
- send me a PM and we'll swap contact info.
- ship your tail lamps or lenses to me. You'll save money on shipping by just sending me the lenses. That's where all the work is done anyway. Here's a link on how to separate the lenses from the housing if you want to go that route: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000042.html
- use good packaging as I'll be sending the completed lenses back to you in the same packaging.
- when I receive them I will send you a confirmation message along with any issues that I find ... cracks, deep gouges, factory flaws (yes, I've seen several). This is to ensure that we both know any limitations prior to my beginning work.
- I may be able to repair some cracks in the lenses ... particularly when they're confined to the black area of the lens. I use a very fine viscosity super glue, but if the crack is too fine, or too large, it may not completely repair the crack. Also, if the crack extends into the clear portion of the lens they that will show after the process has been completed. I have an example pic of before and after below.
- I cannot repair any broken plastic "hooks" on the housings that clip onto the lenses. It doesn't matter much as the sealant used to reassemble them will hold it together.
- I can also repair the housing lower mounts for about $10 unless they are totally destroyed.
- when they're finished I'll follow up with another message and provide a total for the work and shipping. PayPal and Zelle is accepted.

Turn around time will vary depending on weather and my schedule. Can't paint when it's too humid. I am retired, but like to go camping so that could cause a delay. Figure a turn around time of about two weeks as a worst case scenario. I'll advise before you ship if I know of any potential hold ups.

Lens sanded and taped ... ready for black paint.

Before black paint ... notice the severe delamination in the area above the lettering.

Same area after the process is complete. No delamination. Please ignore the finger prints.

Lens prior to any painting. The cracks in the plastic are completely through the lens.

Same area of the lens after gluing, black paint and clear coat process. The cracked area is no longer visible. Sorry about poor focus in this image.

Lens after black paint.

Lens after black paint prior to sanding to feather the tape edges.

Same lens.

Lenses after completed process. Poor photography again. Glob in the center of the lower lens is stuff on the orange blanket. Weird stuff in the right side of the same lens is a reflection.

All parts cleaned, painted and ready for reassembly.

Final product.

Paragraph shamelessly lifted from Napoleon_Tanerite's post. He has the same perspective as I do regarding his work.
"I am not going to charge a separate "disassembly" fee; HOWEVER, it would be appreciated if you separate the lens from the housing before shipping to me. I haven't broken a light *YET* but these lights are pushing 30 years old. If you ship me an assembled light I will take the utmost care to disassemble it safely, but I can't absolutely guarantee it. I will treat your lights like they're my own-- that means I will handle and care for them like they were going on my own car-- and I will finish them in a way I would be proud to put on my car. With that said, there may be minor imperfections in the paint, or something like that. I don't promise perfection, but I do promise "pretty damn good". I am NOT a body shop, I am NOT a professional painter, I do NOT have what would be described as "professional" equipment. I'm a guy who is trying to fund a build and I think I'm pretty decent at doing these restorations. That's the service I'm offering."
I'm a retired Fiero owner who is offering this service to fellow enthusiasts. This is not a big money maker for me as there are definite costs of supplies such as different tapes, several grades of sand paper, black paint, two-part clear coat, super glue, sealants, etc. Plus it takes a ton of time to do these right. My wife is not thrilled with me taking on this project, but I figure I'd toss it out and see if anyone's interested.

[This message has been edited by gtoformula (edited 11-11-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear, you don't clean the housings?
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QUOTE]Originally posted by tshark:

Just to be clear, you don't clean the housings?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do clean the housings ... everything actually. Napoleon_Tanerite was painting the back side of the housings (where the bulbs are installed) as part of his service. As this part of the lens housing can only be seen when the lamp assembly is out of the car I don't see the point of painting it, but could do so if someone really wanted that done.
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great and all that but the price will likely chase many people away, especially given the fact that new ones are coming soon for around $400/pair from Ktgoodyear. They are UV resistant and tougher than the originals. I have the last pair of originals on my 88GT but I am planning on purchasing his as good insurance. Hope yours sell for you, but you must be aware of the new ones coming for a far better price..
handymanpat

Feedback score:    (48)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would you charge to do a set of lenses? I have a set that would be perfect to have this done to.
Thanks Pat

------------------
pat moody

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,
PM sent.

Originally posted by handymanpat:

What would you charge to do a set of lenses? I have a set that would be perfect to have this done to.
Thanks Pat

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you please list the cost of the refurbishment. People will want to know.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about that. I had the post prepped to go and then was not able to send it. Had to completely redo including the photos and managed to omit a few things. Cost is $175/lens.

Originally posted by jjd2296:

Could you please list the cost of the refurbishment. People will want to know.

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry could you clarify the price is that per lense or for both? If that’s per lenses you might be pricing yourself out of the market as kieths certified GM new productions will be released shortly for 400 a pair. 350 a pair referbished is steep especially when you factor in the shipping cost to and from which will be approximately 100 usd within the us.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is $350/pair. Shipping should be about $50 if the entire lamp assemblies are shipped. It would be much less for just the lenses. I wish the Kgoodyear project much success with their venture and hope that they are able to make theirs available soon. My service will cost a bit less than their new lenses and the only other difference is that I would be painting the reflective surfaces and reassembling the complete tail lamp assemblies. The amount that I charge is based on materials (2k clear coat, black paint, tape, sand paper, polish compound, buffer pads, sealant, etc). This is also a very labor intensive process requiring many hours over several days to complete. Yes, all the material costs and labor are mine concern, however, the amount that I am charging is what I need to make it worth my while. The amount being charged by the previous forum member for this service was $150/lens, but that was over 4 years ago. Forum members have the option to wait until the new lenses are available, do the refinishing process themselves or possibly having me do it for them. This is all done in my garage so I have no investment other than the materials that I mentioned. The kgoodyear project understandably has devoted much time into research and development, dies/molds, patents, dealing with GM (I was a GM employee and understand the issues with their brand protection), etc, etc. They have invested considerable assets and labor into developing their product and deserve to be compensated accordingly so I wish them well when they go to market. In the interim, I am providing my service as an alternative. The service that I offer is not meant to be a full fledged business to compete with the new lenses.

Sorry could you clarify the price is that per lense or for both? If that’s per lenses you might be pricing yourself out of the market as kieths certified GM new productions will be released shortly for 400 a pair. 350 a pair referbished is steep especially when you factor in the shipping cost to and from which will be approximately 100 usd within the us.

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck! 350 a pair is decent if the work is quality. I think if kieths new repo taillights come out at 400 a pair then 300 for a refurb set might be the right price. When you have a chance if you could post some pics of an installed set out in the daylight that would defenatly help with confirming the final products quality. I have a set that need this don’t to them but our crappy Canadian dollar right now will force me to do them myself.

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 03-13-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good luck! 350 a pair is decent if the work is quality. I think if kieths new repo taillights come out at 400 a pair then 300 for a refurb set might be the right price. When you have a chance if you could post some pics of an installed set out in the daylight that would defenatly help with confirming the final products quality. I have a set that need this don’t to them but our crappy Canadian dollar right now will force me to do them myself.

Thanks. I do have a set, but they have not been installed on a car yet. I may be able to perch them on a stand out in the driveway to take a pic. It has been raining too much in the Dallas area this year, but tomorrow should be sunny and I'll try to get you that pic. Also, I'll try pricing them at $250/set if they are shipped to me with the housings. If I receive just the lenses then I will charge $225. If I find that I can do them realistically for this price then I'll hold it at that amount. Small cracks that can be sealed with the thin set super glue that I have will not be an extra charge.
I have all the info on my process in the post so you can definitely do them yourself. If you do, and use the 2k clearcoat, then use a fresh air respirator or hold your breath when you spray ... it contains cyanide.

[This message has been edited by gtoformula (edited 03-13-2019).]

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your using 2k clear then they should turn out really good. That’s a 2 part clear with a Hardener so it’s just like using a shop clear coat! If that’s what your using then charge at lease 275! Those cans are not cheap!
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your using 2k clear then they should turn out really good. That’s a 2 part clear with a Hardener so it’s just like using a shop clear coat! If that’s what your using then charge at lease 275! Those cans are not cheap!

Yep, that's the stuff that I use. Acts kinda like liquid plastic. Sets up rock hard.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Yep, that's the stuff that I use. Acts kinda like liquid plastic. Sets up rock hard.

jjd2296. Took addition pics outside in my driveway. BTW, these have sold and are being shipped tomorrow. Again, not a very good photographer ... lots of reflections of me and other stuff in the lenses.

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:
After a four year hiatus, I have decided to offer my Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service again. I stopped doing them when Keith Goodyear came out with his replacement lenses as I didn't want him to have competition for his outstanding efforts to bring us new parts. Now that those new lenses are no longer available, I can do restorations again without interfering with his business.

I have done over 30 sets of lenses and know how to get them looking as good as possible (depends on what shape they're in). My process will completely hide any current or future delamination and provide a long lasting, shiny surface to your lenses. Please see the link below that Rodney Dickman created in his website recommending my service.

http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=373
The price for restoration of a set of tail lamps, if shipped with the housings, is $425. If I am shipped only the lenses then the amount will be $350. If interested, please send me a PM. That way I'll receive an email alerting me to your message.
Thanks,
Rick

I am offering a Fiero GT tail lamp restoration service as did Napoleon_Tanerite was doing until about a year ago. Here is the link to his post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073299.html

The process is as follows:
• complete disassembly and cleaning of all components.
• polishing of the clear inner lenses.
• prep the outer surface of the lenses with wet/dry sandpaper.
• apply 1/8" striping tape around the large lens opening (turn signal, brake light area) and also each letter of P O N T I A C that are back lit in red.
• spray a thin coat of black paint on the lenses.
• remove all taping and then lightly sand the black painted areas to reduce the paint edges.
• spray the lenses with two part professional grade clear coat. Cures hard as a rock.
• final polish for a very shiny, clear surface.
• reassemble the components using black weather-strip adhesive (if restoring the complete assemblies).

Here's how this will work:
- send me a PM and we'll swap contact info.
- ship your tail lamps or lenses to me. No extra charge for disassembly of tail lamps, but you'll save money on shipping by just sending me the lenses. That's where all the work is done anyway. Here's a link on how to separate the lenses from the housing if you want to go that route: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000042.html
- use good packaging as I'll be sending the completed lenses back to you in the same packaging.
- when I receive them I will send you a confirmation message along with any issues that I find ... cracks, deep gouges, factory flaws (yes, I've seen several). This is to ensure that we both know any limitations prior to my beginning work.
- I may be able to repair some cracks in the lenses ... particularly when they're confined to the black area of the lens. I use a very fine viscosity super glue, but if the crack is too fine, or too large, it may not completely repair the crack. Also, if the crack extends into the clear portion of the lens they that will show after the process has been completed. I have an example pic of before and after below.
- I cannot repair any broken plastic "hooks" on the housings that clip onto the lenses. It doesn't matter much as the sealant used to reassemble them will hold it together.
- I can also repair the housing lower mounts for about $10 unless they are totally destroyed.
- when they're finished I'll follow up with another message and provide a total for the work and shipping. PayPal is accepted.

Turn around time will vary depending on weather and my schedule. Can't paint when it's too humid. I am retired, but like to go camping so that could cause a delay. Figure a turn around time of about two weeks as a worst case scenario. I'll advise before you ship if I know of any potential hold ups.

Lens sanded and taped ... ready for black paint.

Before black paint ... notice the severe delamination in the area above the lettering.

Same area after the process is complete. No delamination. Please ignore the finger prints.

Lens prior to any painting. The cracks in the plastic are completely through the lens.

Same area of the lens after gluing, black paint and clear coat process. The cracked area is no longer visible. Sorry about poor focus in this image.

Lens after black paint.

Lens after black paint prior to sanding to feather the tape edges.

Same lens.

Lenses after completed process. Poor photography again. Glob in the center of the lower lens is stuff on the orange blanket. Weird stuff in the right side of the same lens is a reflection.

All parts cleaned, painted and ready for reassembly.

Final product.

Paragraph shamelessly lifted from Napoleon_Tanerite's post. He has the same perspective as I do regarding his work.
"I am not going to charge a separate "disassembly" fee; HOWEVER, it would be appreciated if you separate the lens from the housing before shipping to me. I haven't broken a light *YET* but these lights are pushing 30 years old. If you ship me an assembled light I will take the utmost care to disassemble it safely, but I can't absolutely guarantee it. I will treat your lights like they're my own-- that means I will handle and care for them like they were going on my own car-- and I will finish them in a way I would be proud to put on my car. With that said, there may be minor imperfections in the paint, or something like that. I don't promise perfection, but I do promise "pretty damn good". I am NOT a body shop, I am NOT a professional painter, I do NOT have what would be described as "professional" equipment. I'm a guy who is trying to fund a build and I think I'm pretty decent at doing these restorations. That's the service I'm offering."
I'm a retired Fiero owner who is offering this service to fellow enthusiasts. This is not a big money maker for me as there are definite costs of supplies such as different tapes, several grades of sand paper, black paint, two-part clear coat, super glue, sealants, etc. Plus it takes a ton of time to do these right. My wife is not thrilled with me taking on this project, but I figure I'd toss it out and see if anyone's interested.

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2023 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he is using the same process Napoleon Tannerite was using, then it's well worth the money.

I sent Napoleon a set of my lenses ... maybe about 6 years ago? Shipping was cost was high (I was hesitant to try to remove the lenses from the housing, so I sent him the whole thing, and I let the UPS store pack them so they couldn't invalidate the insurance if anything happened, and paid for 1k of insurance, the last two things likely raised the price dramatically).

I got them back a few weeks later, they were stellar. I'm going to keep those safe and put on one of the sets I bought from Keith and run those first.

If anyone is just dealing with delamination but no cracks, this is a great service, cheaper than any mint old stock, and not many people are willing to part with the ones they got from Keith without a markup.

gtoformula - thanks for offering this service (again)!

gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2023 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Trinten! And, yes, I use the same process as Napoleon Tannerite. I've looked at various shippers and it all comes down to the same thing. They cost more than I'd like, but no other options. Hasn't got any better lately due to the cost of fuel and higher labor, but at least I've never had lenses damaged in shipping.
Again, appreciate your comments.

Originally posted by Trinten:

If he is using the same process Napoleon Tannerite was using, then it's well worth the money.

I sent Napoleon a set of my lenses ... maybe about 6 years ago? Shipping was cost was high (I was hesitant to try to remove the lenses from the housing, so I sent him the whole thing, and I let the UPS store pack them so they couldn't invalidate the insurance if anything happened, and paid for 1k of insurance, the last two things likely raised the price dramatically).

I got them back a few weeks later, they were stellar. I'm going to keep those safe and put on one of the sets I bought from Keith and run those first.

If anyone is just dealing with delamination but no cracks, this is a great service, cheaper than any mint old stock, and not many people are willing to part with the ones they got from Keith without a markup.

gtoformula - thanks for offering this service (again)!

jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2023 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great job on the lense. i was surprised to see on the reflector "made in italy". my lenses are not the same color, the right side [pasenger ] is not as clear as the left{drivers side}. what does every one think.I

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock