northstar fiero based kit car by john austin
Started on: 08-16-2018 08:29 PM
Replies: 48 (3584 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 11-07-2020 10:20 PM
john austin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I need to trim my collection, I am offering the most unusual of them all. After building my northstar fiero I got the bug to go one step further. I took a kit that was intended to produce a northstar fiero and built a custom chassis and fitted it with a one of a kind Porsche 550 spyder body. My intent was to build a northstar fiero only 1000 lbs lighter. In addition to the northstar kit I used 88 fiero suspension, power disk brakes and steering. I know a project like this is hard to value but I've has estimates for its worth between 35k-40k. That is about what I have in it, but considering my situation I would let it go to the right person for 20k. Even if you are not interested in buying, I think all fiero fans will enjoy viewing. Hope Nelson will again help me post a couple of pics.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john austin:

As I need to trim my collection, I am offering the most unusual of them all. After building my northstar fiero I got the bug to go one step further. I took a kit that was intended to produce a northstar fiero and built a custom chassis and fitted it with a one of a kind Porsche 550 spyder body. My intent was to build a northstar fiero only 1000 lbs lighter. In addition to the northstar kit I used 88 fiero suspension, power disk brakes and steering. I know a project like this is hard to value but I've has estimates for its worth between 35k-40k. That is about what I have in it, but considering my situation I would let it go to the right person for 20k. Even if you are not interested in buying, I think all fiero fans will enjoy viewing. Hope Nelson will again help me post a couple of pics.

Email them to me and I will post them as soon as I get some spare time.

Nelson
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the pics.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the photos as requested.

Nelson
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, FSIC, N*, 1.9 rollers
1985 Honda V65 Magna

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2018 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how much does it weigh? That's a righteous setup there.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right around 2000 lb
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great unique project and wish you luck selling it. You must have many hours into this creation. As long as it has a sub-frame its a saleable vehicle for the right buyer.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2018 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Hell yes! Sweet!
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2018 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one thing that may be of interest to fiero folk is the rear suspension. I started with the factory 88 parts, then went to a coil over setup. Additionally I made it a 5 link design. One of the benefits of the 5 link is that the entire suspension can be removed and reinstalled and the alignment is maintained.

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 08-18-2018).]

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2018 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's awesome!

Good luck with the sales, we're looking for more traditional mera / fiero 308/328 kits for our father/son project.
PFF
System Bot
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read that when the fiero's were in production, the chassis's were driven around the factory without the bodies. I think this was unique in the industry as the bodies were just "covers" with no structural importance. I built this car with the same feature-the picture of the chassis is and was drivable.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john austin:

I read that when the fiero's were in production, the chassis's were driven around the factory without the bodies. I think this was unique in the industry as the bodies were just "covers" with no structural importance. I built this car with the same feature-the picture of the chassis is and was drivable.

The bodies of a Fiero are just held in place with bolts or rivets. The frame includes the roof which is critical to structural integrity. Without it the entire car will flex. I am now building a convertible and a subframe had to be welded below for frame support. With the open roadster top, I assume that you have added a subframe or frame reinforcements.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is very little 'Fiero' left of the chassis, if you look closely at the pictures.
The tub appears to be fabricated, and features generous stepovers and cowl extensions to provide rigidity.
The tub looks very much like those used in early CanAm cars.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to build a fuel tank like that to replace the front tub on the Fiero...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any more pics? show us the suspension.

great looking chassis.

Rob
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the looks of the tunnel looks to be a vw bug chassis not a fiero.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2018 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
godfather, as I stated in the first post, a custom chassis was designed and built for the project. The floor pan, which is not structural, is from a vw bug. Think about it and I'll bet you can come up with a couple of reasons to do that. The project, I claim, is fireo based since it uses 88 fiero suspension, steering, brakes and a northstar fiero conversion kit.

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 09-04-2018).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2018 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two I can think of make the Fiero tunnel a poor choice, which would be the great size and the hand brake can be relocated to a more typical location. I didn't catch it until he mentioned it.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
those are two good reasons Sourmash, and yet there are at least two more reasons that influenced my decision to use the vw floorpan.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2018 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body is probably designed for use with that style of pan?
PFF
System Bot
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's another good reason Sourmash. Even with the fender flairs I had to narrow an 88 fiero front crossmember 3 inches for this application. In narrowing the crossmember my natural concern was 'am I creating bump steer'? I ran a test and was pleasantly surprised that bump steer was not introduced.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Two I can think of make the Fiero tunnel a poor choice, which would be the great size and the hand brake can be relocated to a more typical location. I didn't catch it until he mentioned it.

IMO the Fiero tunnel makes sense. It keeps the gasoline tank in the safest place shielded from most accidents.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, the dimension from inside driver door to inside pass door on the spyder is 10 inches less than a fiero. Which means if I had used a fiero tunnel each seat would have to be 5 inches narrower than a fiero seat-not good. I agree with Sourmash about the fiero tunnel being too large for this application.

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 09-12-2018).]

john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in spite of the discussion regarding the use of a vw floor pan in my spyder project, the two main reasons did not come up. One of my two reasons was that it was simply easier and cheaper than fabricating one from scratch(and believe me there was more than enough fabrication at hand all ready). The second and most important reason was that the vw vin is contained in the tunnel and I thought that might help with registration(which it did).
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2018 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW all I did was point out a VW floor pan I wasn't trying to under mind your decision or workmanship. I think its awesome. Wasn't trying to start a flame war.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Godfather, no offense was meant or implied. I enjoyed your comment and the discussion that followed. I think a lot of good ideas were tossed around. Please know that there was never any ill will on my part - simply a discussion among fiero fanatics. john
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
quikgta, sorry for the delay but you asked for suspension pics and I did not have any. the front is simply 88 fiero narrowed 3 inches with small coilovers so pics would not show much. the rear is highly modified 88 so I pulled a rear wheel and tried to show in 2 pics. i'll try to get them posted.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the two photos that John sent me for posting in this thread.

Nelson
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
quikgta, don't know if you are still following this thread, but did the rear suspension pics help? hard to show in pics.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice mods to the rear suspension.
Can you show chassis attachment points for the upper links?
PFF
System Bot
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad, there is no way to get good pics of those attach points without disassembly. But I will do my best to describe them in words. The forward link attaches approximately 5 inches forward from the attach point for the stock Fiero lower link. While the camber link attaches as far inboard as possible. This is to minimize foreshortening as it moves thru its travel. Hope this helps. john

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 11-04-2018).]

john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one feature of the car is engine access. remove 2 bolts and disconnect 1 electrical connector and the entire rear clip comes off for easy access-definitely a plus.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to think of what I can add to the description without adding more pics. To further understand what I did, the powertrain is mounted on an 88 fiero k member and could actually be removed from this chassis and be bolted directly into a fiero. I wanted that kind of flexibility. By the same token a fiero k member with any desired powertrain could be bolted into this car. Personally, I would always keep the northstar but I think its cool that someone could very easily power this car with something like a super duty with almost no fab work.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2018 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, here's an honest opinion. That car is worth EVERY penny that you ask.....but you're on the wrong forum. Here, you'll just get lowballed with 5-7 thousand dollar offers. If you post a picture of that rolling chassis on a kitcar website, you'll sell that in a matter of weeks. I would market it as a Porsche 550 Spyder with Northstar powertrain and mention "Fiero" only when someone says "Hey, what kind of frame is that?"

Not trying to be rude but just save you from the frustration of lowball offers. That is a beautiful car and I hope it sells to a worthy buyer.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2018 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input IMSA GT, it is appreciated. It is not fun being in a position of having to sell. As such, I am trying to get as much exposure as I can. Who knows where that special person is that appreciates my project and feels it needs to be his.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson, took 2 new pics I'd like to add. Will email them to you in hopes that you will post them
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really my style body but the car is beautiful none the less. Probably one of the best put together kit cars I have seen. Not sure if I would sell it after all that time invested but good luck with it all.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple more photos that John asked me to post for him.

Nelson
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my search to find a new owner for my treasured project, I am lowering the price to $18k. I know its not the car for everyone but I am sure there is someone out there with tastes similar to mine. My health is not improving and actually last night was kinda rough. Thanks for indulging me.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock