northstar fiero by john austin
Started on: 07-02-2018 12:52 PM
Replies: 12 (1393 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 08-24-2018 12:12 AM
john austin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to listing my 88 gt northstar fiero for sale. Reason for sale is I am getting to the point that I can no longer work on cars like I used to. It is the cleanest fiero I've ever seen with 55k miles all spent in rust free texas/nm. The powertrain is 97 300 hp northstar with only 3000 miles. price is a steal at $10k. Car is so clean there is not a scratch anywhere. The list of what it needs is short: fuel gage is not accurate(easy work around), AC is not hooked up(by choice) but I think everything is there, and it needs the northstar dash used for troubleshooting. Ottherwise it is a beautiful car that is rust free and runs great. Please send questions and photo requests to johnaustin9@windstream.net or call 575-336-7910 unfortunately I was not successful in using the pip program so call or email and I will send photos.

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 07-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2018 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are not to far from me. Good luck with the sale. I have not seen another Fiero around here.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small world. Where are you from?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the two photos that John sent me for resizing and posting for him.

Nelson
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john austin:

Small world. Where are you from?

Stationed at Cannon AFB living in Clovis.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2069 posts
Member since Jul 2016
That is a great looking car! Very Clean!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Second set of photos.

Nelson
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a little history on the car. After owning a couple of 4 cyl fieros, I decided I wanted a hot rod. Bought the cleanest 88 fiero I could find and being a small block fan decided to do a v8 swap using an LT1. Did the swap using the getrag and wound up with a really fun car. Only problem was the torque limitation on the getrag. So started looking for a stronger transmission. The strongest around was the 4t80 which came with the northstar. Instead of trying to mate the 4t80 to the LT1 I decided to use the entire northstat powertrain and that is how the car came to be in its present form.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a little discussion about the fuel pump: The stock v6 Fiero fuel pump is rated at 17 gal/hr and if I use gasoline to be about 6 lb/gal this means that the stock pump will support around 204 hp. Therefore any serious power upgrade to the Fiero will require a larger fuel pump. The NorthStar is rated at 300 hp so I choose the ep242 as my replacement pump. It is rated at 28 gal/hr so using the same calc as used before, the 242 will support 336 hp. It does no good to install a higher hp engine if you don't give it adequate fuel. More later.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2018 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is info regarding the battery and surge tank: For two reasons the battery was moved to the front and rests with the spare. One reason to do this is to improve the weight distribution and secondly it frees up space for the installation of a surge tank. The big hassle when moving the battery to the front is a new very long battery cable. I made a custom cable using welding cable which prevents any large voltage drop due to the length. A surge tank was installed where the battery used to reside. This allows the tank to be the highest point in the cooling system and purging all the air out of the cooling system is simple. more later.
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2018 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the NorthStar powertrain was mounted on a modified/strengthened Fiero k member using the factory NorthStar rubber mounts and factory dogbones were used to insure no overload on those factory mounts. Actually took me three attempts before I was satisfied with the positioning. One thing I was concerned with was the angles related to the drive axles. It may seem strange that it took 3 attempts, since after it is installed it looks to the eye that it could not move to any other position. more later
PFF
System Bot
john austin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john austinSend a Private Message to john austinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust system is unique and something I am proud of. The manifolds for the two banks are joined together by a y pipe and flow thru a 3 in performance cat and edelbrock muffler. The entire system from manifolds thru tip is ceramic coated and supported by the drivetrain so no flex joint is required. The sound is unlike any other - relatively quiet during cruise but sounds like an angry wild cat when pushed. The sound is not only unique but in my humble opinion the finest exhaust sound ever. The best single word description I can think of is exotic.

[This message has been edited by john austin (edited 08-22-2018).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10K is fantastic price for that car! Very nice install.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock