fiero f23/ecotek swap kits by thelinsells
Started on: 01-27-2018 05:53 PM
Replies: 38 (1723 views)
Last post by: thelinsells on 06-26-2018 12:13 AM
thelinsells

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brackets,overfow/filler tank,shift conversion,etc.One place.It all fits together.Tough ,strong and reliable.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2018 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thelinsells:

Brackets,overfow/filler tank,shift conversion,etc.One place.It all fits together.Tough ,strong and reliable.

Cost?
Roger Thelin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger ThelinClick Here to visit Roger Thelin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Roger ThelinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure what the question is.The cost of f23 transaxle to fiero brackets are $250.84-87or 88 fiero.

[This message has been edited by Roger Thelin (edited 01-31-2018).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roger Thelin:

I'm not sure what the question is.The cost of f23 transaxle to fiero brackets is $250.84-87or 88 fiero.

Can you be more specific one what am I getting?

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine trans bracket set is made up with the front and rear trans brackets,subframe reenforcement,engine cradel.No mounts,there are to many choices of mounts out there.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have a 3.4 and a F23, do you make a kit to drop the tranny on my car?
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roger Thelin:

I'm not sure what the question is.The cost of f23 transaxle to fiero brackets are $250.84-87or 88 fiero.

???

Everything you mentioned above. What is the cost of the package?
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have brackets to put F23 transaxle into a fiero . The trans bracket set is $250.The bracket set for F23/ecotek is $450.The shift correction kit is $250.The one piece hydraulic clutch adapter is $35.The catch /overflow/filler tank is $55 The ecotek dog bone mount is $55. Let me know how I can Help. R.T.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be using the F23 from a 2.2 Cavalier. Will your front trans bracket work on that or do you offer one that does?

How much for the rear bracket by itself? I @$$ume it works with stock replacement transmission mounts like Rodney or other people sell.

I will also need the shift linkage.
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Will;I do have a shift correction kit for F23 transaxles.Itis $250.Yes I do have brackets to fit most F23 trans.The rear bracket uses a 2265 standard mount.The front bracket uses a standard fiero front mount.The kit which includes a subframe reenforcement is $250.To send you the proper brackets must know what year subframe you will be using,and I will need to see pix of your trans.Yes I will sell you any bracket you wish.R.T.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have photos?

I have not bought the transmission yet, but as I will be using it with a 3900 V6, I will need to use the corresponding bellhousing from a Cavalier with the 2.2 pushrod engine. Have you not dealt with that housing before?

The cradle is an '88.

I was planning to use stock form factor urethane mounts which I already have.

Exactly WTF is a "shift correction kit"?
PFF
System Bot
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shift correction kit allows a transaxle that normally placed in the front of the car to shift right when put behind the driver.If you don't do something the shift pattern will be backwards.Fifth will be in the upper left.You will need a clutch adapter to connect the fiero hydraulic clutch line to the plug in on the F23.By the way be sure to get the little black plastic " Y " thing on the trans when you get it . That's the auto bleed valve. My one piece clutch adapter is only $35 complete. R.T.

[This message has been edited by thelinsells (edited 02-14-2018).]

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2018 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just become painfully aware that I do not have transaxle brackets for 2000-2002 cavalier F23 .
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2018 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm!?? How do I know which transmission I have? According to the seller I boutght it is from a cavalier??!!
BassClefJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2018 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BassClefJeffSend a Private Message to BassClefJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Hmmmm!?? How do I know which transmission I have? According to the seller I boutght it is from a cavalier??!!

This old archived thread may help. Lots of discussion on F23 variants and sources.

F23 Variants

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2018 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Send me pix, and I can tell you if the brackets I make will help you in your car. R,T,
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2018 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Send me pix, and I can tell you if the brackets I make will help you in your car. R,T,

Ok

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has come to my attention that one of the rear brackets will do the job on those pesky older F23. R,T.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has come to my attention that one of the rear brackets will do the job on those pesky older F23. R,T.

So I can purchase the kit with no worries?

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

So I can purchase the kit with no worries?

I think you need to look into this. I strongly believe that the Thelin kit used a 2.2 Ecotec and matching F23 transaxle. The F23 that comes with the Ecotec has a nice front mount in the correct location. Other F23's, from say a 2000 Cavalier with the 2200 NON Ecotec, have a different mount and is not compatible with the Thelin kit.

Here's the F23 front mount that I designed and laser cut for my Ecotec/F23 combo.

Lets set them in place and see how they fit.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 03-02-2018).]

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This very transaxle shown is one that one of my brackets fit.The advantage with mine is it fits fiero mounts.I can see how well made and thought out this bracket system is .My philosophy is to feed the forces into the subframe as designed,and to use as many stock parts as possible.It's nice to go into a part store and get the part you need, at a reasonable price,off the self. Just tell them it's a front mount for a fiero.R.T.If you send me pix I can tell which of my bracket systems fits you trans.

[This message has been edited by thelinsells (edited 03-02-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the kit that Roger Thelin made. It was designed around the 2.2 Ecotec and matching Ecotec F23 transaxle.
His kit works a complete unit. It utilizes his proprietary mount system that fits onto the Fiero subrame with some modification.
It looks like the front of the '88 cradle was modified using a piece of 2"x3" rectangular tubing welded in.

I'll let Roger chime in seeing as it's his kit.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BassClefJeff:

This old archived thread may help. Lots of discussion on F23 variants and sources.

F23 Variants

That was a painful read. Go eat some jalapenos for assaulting us with that...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Ahh, thanks!

Looks like these two pieces will work.

Originally posted by Lunatic:

Here is the kit that Roger Thelin made. It was designed around the 2.2 Ecotec and matching Ecotec F23 transaxle.
His kit works a complete unit. It utilizes his proprietary mount system that fits onto the Fiero subrame with some modification.
It looks like the front of the '88 cradle was modified using a piece of 2"x3" rectangular tubing welded in.

I'll let Roger chime in seeing as it's his kit.

However, I don't think this one will as it attaches exclusively to bosses on the bellhousing.

From the photo below, it looks like the 2200 bellhousing will have at least ONE of the bosses that the Ecotec front bracket uses. One is definitely not there and the location of the third bolt is not shown in any of the photos I've seen so far.

Originally posted by mera7:

And this one attaches either to a feature on the engine or a feature on the Ecotec bellhousing, neither of which I'll have.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-03-2018).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000
And the fill cap is going to be under the exhaust crossover pipe, too.

Originally posted by mera7:

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F23 transaxles come in several different cases,and with different bellhousings.I make brackets to fit them to fiero subframes.The rear bracket seems to need only two kinds to fit almost all.The front bracket has many more surprises.My front brackets fit almost all F23 from about 2003 and up.Unfortunately if you want to put a V6 in your car you need an older bellhousing that is attached an older trans.What you see in the pix above are of a 2006 trans.Thats why I need to see pix of the trans ,to see what you have.If I don't have a bracket in stock I am willing to make one for you.Send me the trans, I'll send you back your trans with brackets.By the way the pix of the shift brackets are way out of date.I haven't made them like that in eleven years.R.T.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger,

Seeing as you're a vendor of Ecotec/F23 mounts and such, wouldn't it make sense that you would properly showcase all your items in this thread? This is a Fiero forum and people come here first to see who's selling what and where. By you saying, "send me a picture of your trans", isn't of much use to the rest of us. Not all people visiting this site, or this thread, know there are variations in mount points between the F23 transaxles.

This thread is titled, "Fiero F23/Ecotek swap kits". As such, it should contain high quality pictures of all your current items making up the entire swap kit for all to see. It should also show a complete drivetrain sitting on both (84-87 and 88 only) cradles. I posted the only pics that I had.

Also, it's Ecotec. Not Ecotek.

I'm not here to impede sales or tarnish your name, but merely to assist those who are asking questions. I've done an Ecotec/F23 swap using my own mounts. I know what's involved and I like what you're offering to those interested in the swap. I just think you need to show it off better.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lunatic

313 posts
Member since Sep 2013
Will,

You've noticed the differences between the two transaxles. Especially the mounting points.

Not to hijack this thread, but here I'm also showing another view of the stock 2003 Cavalier/F23 mounting appliance (as GM calls it).

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 03-04-2018).]

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My site is thelinsells.com.Come see the stuff.Within the next few weeks pix of my ten year old swap.Blew a rear main seal.Seal, clutch plate,general cleanup and tidying up.Up to my ears in headlight production right now.One man shop and all that.Because of the high old pressures ecoteks run ,they are sensitive to good breather flow.Bad PVC can do bad things .The three things for long engine life is (1) maintenance, (2) Maintenance,(3) MAINTENANCE.R.T.
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thelinsells

608 posts
Member since May 2014
My site is thelinsells.com.Come see the stuff.Within the next few weeks pix of my ten year old swap.Blew a rear main seal.Seal, clutch plate,general cleanup and tidying up.Up to my ears in headlight production right now.One man shop and all that.Because of the high old pressures ecoteks run ,they are sensitive to good breather flow.Bad PVC can do bad things .The three things for long engine life is (1) maintenance, (2) Maintenance,(3) MAINTENANCE.R.T.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roger,

Seeing as you're a vendor of Ecotec/F23 mounts and such, wouldn't it make sense that you would properly showcase all your items in this thread? This is a Fiero forum and people come here first to see who's selling what and where. By you saying, "send me a picture of your trans", isn't of much use to the rest of us. Not all people visiting this site, or this thread, know there are variations in mount points between the F23 transaxles.

This thread is titled, "Fiero F23/Ecotek swap kits". As such, it should contain high quality pictures of all your current items making up the entire swap kit for all to see. It should also show a complete drivetrain sitting on both (84-87 and 88 only) cradles. I posted the only pics that I had.

Also, it's Ecotec. Not Ecotek.

I'm not here to impede sales or tarnish your name, but merely to assist those who are asking questions. I've done an Ecotec/F23 swap using my own mounts. I know what's involved and I like what you're offering to those interested in the swap. I just think you need to show it off better.

Offered to do his website for him.....just saying....will still be getting a set of mounts soon.
PFF
System Bot
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did I happen to mention Thelinsells.com.?Thats thelinsells.com
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you do a better job answering questions about what's there than you have so far in this thread?

Where does the overflow tank mount with your bracket? Pics?
I'm not doing an Ecotec swap, but a pressurized surge tank would be a good addition to my Northstar installation. Consequently, I need to see pics of it installed to know if it will work with my installation before I throw dollars.

What's the difference between the two rear trans brackets?

http://thelinsells.limitedr...-transaxle-bracket-2

http://thelinsells.limitedr...saxle-bracket-type-1

And how do I tell which one I need?

Is the shift correction kit $250?

The shift correction kit is $250.

Or is it $350?

http://thelinsells.limitedr...shift-correction-kit

And what cables do I need to use with it?
Since I'll be using my trans with a V6, I also need to look at installed pics of that system before I can determine the likelihood that it will fit around the V6.

You're selling the stuff man... now SELL it.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stupid question: Is the 2.2 and the 2.0(turbo) the same? Wil this kit work on the 2.0?

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 04-05-2018).]

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry SCCA ,I lost the thread.2.2 and turbo 2.0 are the same in what regard?R.T.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the mounts you offer work to mount the 2.0 turbo with an F23?
thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The short answer is I believe so.I will need to see pix of trans to see which casting it is.I should have everything you need on the shelf.P.M.pix R.T.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just realized... this mount *may* work with the LZ4 3500 and LZ9 3900.

The V6's were contemporary with the Ecotec and used in some of the same bodies, so they may use the same mounts.

Comments? Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-25-2018).]

thelinsells

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2018 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thelinsellsSend a Private Message to thelinsellsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This crossmember your looking at was developed for the early four cly ecotek.If it can be used on other engines I don't know.More than that I don't think so.But I've been wrong before.Right now I don't have a spare V6 to play with.I would go along with someone to see.Anyone close by Gainesville in for an experiment?Better yet if it won't work I could make one that would.Mike Smith sent me an early F23 to make brackets.Now would be a good time to bolt it to a V6 to see how every thing fits.I'm going to have this transbox here for a couple of weeks.Any takers?R.T.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock