Steering rack needed by boysatt
Started on: 09-01-2017 03:40 PM
Replies: 11 (410 views)
Last post by: straws on 09-30-2017 07:57 PM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a steering rack for my 86 GT. The 3 turn lock to lock rack. Hoping to find a tight one that I don't need to have rebuilt. And I need it asap.

My issue is I purchased a reman rack from Detroit Axle as my car cracked the rack in half and I didn't have any good ones on my parts cars. First rack they sent was clunking in the first 100 miles. Second rack they sent was just repainted and not rebuilt so it was loose. 3rd rack they send was just the 2nd rack I sent back, literally reboxed and sent back in unrebuilt condition. So they are going to give me all my money back if I send back the rack in my car but that leaves me with no steering rack. So Ya I need one ASAP.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one from an '86 SE V6 that had roughly 85K miles on it when I parted it out. I'll have to check how turns lock to lock it is....I thought all of them were the same (maybe that's only the '88s). I'm flying home right now and will check tonight when I get the chance.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old and moderately worn racks are easy to rebuild with Rodney Dickmans replacement bushing. Most of the time wear of the original bushing causes slop in the rack and results in loose steering. Rodney's replacement bushing made my rack better than new. Point is that any used rack that you will purchase will have some wear and slop. For a correct rebuild, you must be careful to index the rack (set position) carefully upon reassembly. The rack is an assembly with only a few parts,........rack, pinion gear, two bearings, bushing, seal nut, washer and the housing. Its a real simple mechanism,

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

2nasti

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
reread first post

[This message has been edited by 2nasti (edited 09-04-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The SE rack should be 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.
A pre-88 GT rack is 3 turns lock to lock.
WickedFieroGTP

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The SE rack should be 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.
A pre-88 GT rack is 3 turns lock to lock.

Yep. I finally had the chance ti check out ny SE rack and it's 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.

Sorry I couldn't help.
KMFDMFAN

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KMFDMFANSend a Private Message to KMFDMFANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt:

a reman rack from Detroit Axle... First rack they sent was clunking in the first 100 miles. Second rack they sent was just repainted and not rebuilt so it was loose. 3rd rack they send was just the 2nd rack I sent back, literally reboxed and sent back in unrebuilt condition. So they are going to give me all my money back ...

WOW! Remind me to never buy a rack from Detroit Axle :-0
straws

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for strawsSend a Private Message to strawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. I have one in cardboard ready to ship out from a 1987 GT. As of 9/5/17 it is listed on ebay for best offer.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recall vaguely, something different about the Indy steering gear ratio. Anyone know what I'm supposed to be able to remember :-)
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by straws:

PM sent. I have one in cardboard ready to ship out from a 1987 GT. As of 9/5/17 it is listed on ebay for best offer.

That'll work, purchased your on Ebay. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
straws

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for strawsSend a Private Message to strawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad that I was able to provide a good unit for him. Consider his request filled.

Now I have another 1987 GT rack and pinion available if anyone is looking 9/30/2017 Norm.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock