Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  WTB - 1988 DD - Formula, GT, or MERA w/Manual and Factory Sunroof - Stock or 3.8SC

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
WTB - 1988 DD - Formula, GT, or MERA w/Manual and Factory Sunroof - Stock or 3.8SC by SurferGeorge
Started on: 06-21-2017 09:37 AM
Replies: 20 (737 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 08-09-2017 10:56 AM
SurferGeorge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

New to Fieros. Want a Daily Driver 1988 (only 1988s) with either the stock V6 or 3.8SC, 5-speed, Sunroof, < 100k Miles, and ZERO Rust. This can be in the form of Formula, Mera, or GT (prefer Formula). It should be driveable and totally intact (i.e., Complete). Live in Maryland where the Vehicle and Emissions Inspections for DD is really tough. So, the better your car is - the more I can pay. That said, I would like to keep this "reasonable" - very reasonable. Cash is ready - looking for the right car!

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SurferGeorge:

Hi All,

New to Fieros. Want a Daily Driver 1988 (only 1988s) with either the stock V6 or 3.8SC, 5-speed, Sunroof, < 100k Miles, and ZERO Rust. This can be in the form of Formula, Mera, or GT (prefer Formula). It should be driveable and totally intact (i.e., Complete). Live in Maryland where the Vehicle and Emissions Inspections for DD is really tough. So, the better your car is - the more I can pay. That said, I would like to keep this "reasonable" - very reasonable. Cash is ready - looking for the right car!

Thanks

There is a Mera on eBay right now for $9500 starting price. What you consider "reasonable" wrt price may or may not be in accordance with what others believe. I am certain that you realize that you have limited yourself wrt vehicle availability with your very specific requirements and could open up a lot of opportunities if you relaxed the 1988 model year requirement. Good luck on your search and I wish you success.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...arms=aid%3D111001%26

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-21-2017).]

SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nelson,

Thanks for that news. That is the same Mera that was up last week for $12k Reserve - and received no bids. That seems a little crazy to my way of thinking; but, I am not rushing to buy it either.

It would be a great car for someone who wants an Automatic and does not want a Factory Sunroof. I mean this Mera on e-Bay is Fantastic - especially for that kind of money - Right?!

My "MUSTS" include:
* 1988 Model Year Formula or Mera (or GT),
* Manual Trans,
* Factory Sunroof,
* NO Rust, and
* NO-PROBLEMS US Title.

Thanks again - George
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump ...
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends on what you consider a reasonable price because that varies with each person. I have a 1988 Mera with a manual transmission and a 383 engine. It is mechanically and electrically good with no rust issues. This is a hardtop but it would be relatively easy to install the sunroof panel if that is an absolute requirement. It needs paint and I have a Beechwood interior that needs to be installed. For the right price you could have the car. If you are interested, contact me via email or PM.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-21-2017).]

SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nelson,

YES, I am being restrictive in this Quest. Even though there are a number of us who like Fieros, most others have not heard of them - or will buy any car that old. This means that whatever I buy now, will have to be great because no one else will buy it for anything like what I pay for it + all the updates and changes that will be made. Have lost thousands (USD) on pretty much each Project I have owned and that needs to stop.

All that said, I am tempted by your 1988 Mera - even w/o it have either a Factory Sunroof and having a V8 vis V6. My experience with V8 swaps into small cars has been singular: but, with drawbacks noted. And, I want a Factory Sunroof somehow! Have a Miata now - and except for it being common and slow - it is a great car (a Lotus that can be driven every day).

Have sent you a PM.

TNX >>> George

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi Nelson,

YES, I am being restrictive in this Quest. Even though there are a number of us who like Fieros, most others have not heard of them - or will buy any car that old. This means that whatever I buy now, will have to be great because no one else will buy it for anything like what I pay for it + all the updates and changes that will be made. Have lost thousands (USD) on pretty much each Project I have owned and that needs to stop.

All that said, I am tempted by your 1988 Mera - even w/o it have either a Factory Sunroof and having a V8 vis V6. My experience with V8 swaps into small cars has been singular: but, with drawbacks noted. And, I want a Factory Sunroof somehow! Have a Miata now - and except for it being common and slow - it is a great car (a Lotus that can be driven every day).

Have sent you a PM.

TNX >>> George

No PM received.

Nelson
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry that u did not receove the PM. Anyway, thought about this a bit more. A Mera is going to have to wait for another time.
Still looking for a 1988 FORMULA or GT with the Parameters stated above …. Tell your Friends - Thanks
LT4SS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT4SSSend a Private Message to LT4SSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent re: 88 GT 3800 SC 5-speed
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting! No PM received. Can u either try again, or give me basic info here and any link to Images?
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Addendum --

This Community has convinced me that I am better off with a Formula for now.

So …

NOW
***** WTB a 1988 Formula ***** with the following:
* Complete Car with NO Rust or Damage,
* Clean/Clear US Title and Registration in your Name,
* Manual Trans,
* Factory S/R,
* A/C would be nice - but is NOT a requirement,
* < 100k Miles, and
* V6 [2.8L or larger]
to be used as a Daily Driver.

Price should be LESS THAN $5k USD. It does not have to look like a Show Car! Can deal with faded paint or less than perfect interiour. However, the nasty Fiero issues of E-brake and inoperable Instrumentation should be fixed. I live in Maryland, USA which has extremely strict requirements mandated for Inspection. NO Projects, Parts Cars, or Race/Track Cars - Thanks!

Have the Cash in reserve; but, can trade a clean, NO Rust, Low Mileage Mazda MX-5 convertible + Cash also.

Post or Send me a Note as to what you have and it's Specs plus what you want for it. We will go from there -

Thanks again for spreading this Info to others that may have a Formula for sale!
PFF
System Bot
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump …

No one has a good Formula w/Manual and Factory S/R for sale? May even consider a running Project if located in the NE US. Ugly, but otherwise NO Damage and NO Rust Formulas are OK!

Thanks for reading and sending along to Friends!
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF member Insky currently has an 87 GT with a F308 rebody and a 3800 SC engine with a manual transmission for sale in the Mall right now. His price is reasonable IMO and if you were previously interested in a Mera this might work out.

Nelson
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TNX for the heads-up Nelson. The Mera sounded nice; but the CL Advert has been removed at present.

Am really focused now on finding a decent Formula (w/all of my "Must Have" Parameters). Seems like there are a number of Formula owners in the USA advertizing; but, not really that keen on actually selling …
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SurferGeorge

59 posts
Member since Jun 2017
Nelson -

My Error - he reposted the Car on CL. However, it is a Kit (not a Mera) based on a 1987 Fiero - not a 1988.

Maybe it is just me; but, I like the Fiero as a … Fiero. if I really wanted a 308, would just buy one - even though the Maintenance would kill any fun. The Mera is at most a nice Body Kit, which is better than most 308 Kits. Lastly, I want all the improvements embodied in the 1988 Fiero.

So, if you see a good Formula - please let them know I am looking, or send me a PM. Thanks again!
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My uncle is pondering selling his 88 GT... It's not pretty, and it has some rust, but for a running 88 GT I think it's a pretty good price. There is no cat installed on it though... Took it off. I have the one I took off my car I can include if needed since I don't have to get it inspected anymore. Passed emission inspection in NJ two years ago, though I can't speak for Maryland's restrictions. Any questions PM me and I can tell you more.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/075821.html

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 08-08-2017).]

SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm ... I did see your Post and gave it a look earlier. It does not have a Factory S/R, which is one of my Criteria. Also, do not see where you say how many Miles are on it.

While there is a lot done already ... seems like there is a long way to go to make it "Good" again. Why would he be looking to buy another Fiero, if there was a larger V6 already put in this one?

If you have any intel on what it takes to cut out a solid roof and install a Factory S/R ... let me know. I might be interested ...
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few that fit your needs!!!
SurferGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SurferGeorgeSend a Private Message to SurferGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give the details, images, and valuations of the best 3 ….
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmm ... I did see your Post and gave it a look earlier. It does not have a Factory S/R, which is one of my Criteria. Also, do not see where you say how many Miles are on it.

While there is a lot done already ... seems like there is a long way to go to make it "Good" again. Why would he be looking to buy another Fiero, if there was a larger V6 already put in this one?

If you have any intel on what it takes to cut out a solid roof and install a Factory S/R ... let me know. I might be interested ...

No sunroof, and no power mirrors or locks. No idea what it takes to put them in either. I have a sunroof in mine and I personally think it's semi over rated... the sun is hot, and I don't like the glare... It's got about 156k ish miles last time I saw it... I don't really drive it so I don't know where it is now...

It's not pretty looking, that's for sure. Needs paint, that's a given... The story for why he was wanted to put out a feeler to sell was because he was super interested in another members 88GT with a 3800SC already swapped into it, which was our plan from the start with this one, but he passed it up and decided not to buy it. The "bigger motor" 3.4 isn't known for a fact to be in there, and even if it was performed on it prior to us having it, it isn't enough for him, he wants something way more than what a 2.8 or 3.4 can provide.

My uncle also just picked up a 1972 Mercury Montego Q code 351 Cobra Jet 4 speed (one of 202 made) that him and I are just starting to restore as of last week, so all "resources" are going to that at this point. I also am getting ready to swap a 4.9 into my car, so time to work on his Fiero is cut down significantly.

At any rate, it was just a feeler to begin with, and now that he passed on the other Fiero with the SC I don't know if he even wants to sell it anymore anyways, but if an offer came up to go to a member of the forum that would actually take care and finish what we started he would have very much said yes to it.

I wish you luck on finding your perfect car! It will show up eventually!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 08-09-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: