Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Please Help- I NEED a RH/Passenger side (V8 Archie Glass Chop Top Door Window)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please Help- I NEED a RH/Passenger side (V8 Archie Glass Chop Top Door Window) by Orig88GT-NC
Started on: 02-20-2017 09:40 PM
Replies: 15 (597 views)
Last post by: 85LAMB on 03-16-2019 08:46 PM
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a disaster happen and am pleading for help.
I BROKE my RH/Passenger side (V8 Archie Glass Chop Top Door Window), My car is about finished, just had to get it painted... and I broke the window...
I am desperate and begging, If anyone has a spare or a set that they might be willing to part with I would be grateful, I know its a long shot but I have put ALOT of time and effort into this project ....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a solution for every problem. Make a template of the broken window after removing it. Obtain a standard Fiero door glass take it to a glass shop and have it cut to fit . Just make sure that the window glass that you start with is the correct side

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-21-2017).]

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua: There is a solution for every problem. Make a template of the broken window after removing it. Obtain a standard Fiero door glass take it to a glass shop and have it cut to fit . Just make sure that the window glass that you start with is the correct side.

Thanks for the thought, Unfortunately making a template of the broken window would be impossible... its in tiny little pieces.. it was tempered glass. An option for a template is to make a mirror image of my remaining LH window.
But, I don't think its possibly to have a OEM Tempered window cut, it too will just shatter. I appreciate the input.

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There is a solution for every problem. Make a template of the broken window after removing it. Obtain a standard Fiero door glass take it to a glass shop and have it cut to fit . Just make sure that the window glass that you start with is the correct side

You are joking, right?
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A person i know, who has a spare set, has seriously considered investing and getting a run of them made, but so far he is holding out.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-21-2017).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2017 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

A person i know, who has a spare set, has seriously considered investing and getting a run of them made, but so far he is holding out.

Would he be willing to have a lexan mold of the shape made for the poster? Fairly easy to do.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CAN "tempered glass" BE CUT ???
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Yep...

https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick Google search says yes. Anneal the glass by baking it to 900°, let it cool for 8 hours, clean the heck out of it, then dip your glass cutter into kerosene (makes a cleaner cut) and make one pass with a firm touch to score the pattern you intend. Lay the glass on a dowel rod along the length of the cut and press on the excess side with gloves while wearing safety glasses.

A wetstone is used to smooth the new sharp edge, which supposedly also strengthens it.

Just a silly Google answer, I would expect several attempts to be made before succeeding.

You then need to re-temper the glass. I did not look that part up.

Interesting thought, most "practice" windows would likely be scored/gouged from the fuzzies that eventually gouge our windows. Probably makes this a very difficult task, and a new glass would be expensive to practice on.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 03-14-2019).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

I’m ready to get a set. I sold a set a few years back and have been kickin myself since.
I now have a chop but with lexan. I have considered doing a run and may start researching in the next year.
I’m moving back to Florida this summer and should have more time to do so.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Success rates for a DIY at home will be less than 5%. Eventually you might get lucky with the right tool, pressure, feed rate, and cooling to pull it off, but you will be standing in 24" of shattered glass by that time.

The issue with side windows for a chop done using the Archie method is the curvature. Just cutting down the stock side windows will not work because they will not have enough curve to seal at the top.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

You are joking, right?

Absolutely not. Windshields can be custom cut so can windows. There was a couple of episodes on Wheeler Dealers where they had custom glass cut and it was tempered. One was for a windshield that was long out of production. They matched the contour and cut a Chevy Impala windshield to the size of the original. It fit perfect. Dave Horst (Skitime) had a custom tempered glass window cut for his decklid. Point is that glass can be custom cut. In your case a standard Fiero window is the starting point and it can be cut. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have cut various hardened, brittle technical ceramics over the last twenty years using diamond blade. Get a 220 grit diamond blade or finer. Cut slowly at 1000 surface feet per minute translated into RPMs. Keep coolant on the blade and don't let the material heat up. I'm sure there are glass cutters who could do it. Certainly don't try the score and snap method.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Windshield glass is safety glass. Not tempered glass. Two different things as it pertains to a Fiero. One breaks and stays in place. The other busts into thousands of little cubes that pose less risks to cutting us as opposed to larger shards.
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis
While I appreciate you trying to help....
why would you post that ?!?
have you build a chop top ?!?!

There is NO way a cut down stock Fiero window, will work on a chop top on a stock Fiero door

OP if you are unable to get the window,
you could use the other window to make a flat template then make a curvature template and try making it out of lexan/acrilic
just an idea

ps I built the grey widebody/chop top in the link below
https://hiveminer.com/Tags/coffee%2Cfiero

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock