Project or part-out 88gt 3800sc by ALJR
Started on: 01-29-2017 10:38 PM
Replies: 23 (813 views)
Last post by: ALJR on 02-05-2017 10:03 AM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2017 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided to give this project one last push - Thanks to all that expressed interest in purchasing my items and encouraging me to complete her. For at least the next few months, all parts will NOT be sold

I have am 88gt project car that I have been contemplating selling or parting out... The project has sat idle for about 4 years; growing family leaves me little, to no time to get back into it

Ill give a quick overview of the car...
I purchased the car in 97 and if I remember correctly, it had about 57k miles on her. Shortly after purchasing the car I lost my license and decided to pull the heads and do a little port and polish. That turned into a full 3.1 stroker rebuild; everything was replaced with the best I could find at the time. This was before 3800 were as popular and I must have sunk $4-5K into the rebuild. I even had the whole rotating assembly balanced! The engine was rebuilt and ready to go in, but I lost my workshop and had to move the car to a friends garage for storage and just lost interest. Fast-forward 11-12 years and I got the motor back into the car and running perfectly. After 6-700 miles I decided I wanted more power and started the 3800 sc swap; I blame this forum for planting that bug!!

So I purchased an almost complete 3800sc swapped motor from a member on here that was indicated to be a nearly drop-in, ready to go motor w/ 10-15k miles on it; that was pulled from a 2000 Bonny; unfortunately, the swap was not really a ready to go drop-in but all indications to me, showed it was indeed a very low mile motor. So I began my swap w/ the intentions of making look as stock as possible; as if it were a factory placed 3800sc motor. I centered the motor on a modified, reinforced, powder-coated cradle. Costume made the 3" exhaust to follow the stock path (keeping the trunk). powder-coated the SC and valve covers in a nice high-gloss red. I did the normal SC porting and rebuild while I had it apart for the PCing. I wrapped and hid the wire-loom as much as possible w/ all soldered and heat-shrieked connectors and re-pinned the wires so everything fits and looks nice w/ the ECU in the stock location

So I have the 3.1 rebuilt w/ about 700 miles on it sitting on an 88 cradle w/ 5 spd and FOCOA hp clutch
a nearly complete 3800sc swap sitting on a powder-coated 88 cradle with 98% of the wires connected to the ecu thats in the car. Stock auto 4spd trans attached.
New set of wheels/tires w/ 700 miles on them, also have stock wheels/tires
New aluminum radiator (I think its a 3-core); also have stock
Powder coated front cross-member sitting on shelf, stock is in car
New cross-drilled front and rear rotors & pads & ss lines
front fenders w/ scoops
Front hood w/ recessed scoop
Rear deck lid w/ mustang scoop (my own design that me and another PFF member worked on (not too sure if he's still making them.
Near perfect interior
Custom made sub in dash, top of the line kenwood slide-out dvd/nav 7" display. Polk Separates in dash, plates in rear. Blaupunk skinny amp under seat
Mint tail light, but qtr windows need replacing. body is half epoxy blk primer and red
I have so much stuff sitting on shelfs that I collected over the years, that I can even remember. New cab

Duno If I should sell it off as one big lot or take the time and inventory everything and part it out? All I know is I hate seeing it sitting in my shop collecting dust; but I have zero motivation at the moment to finish her off (or even pick away at it)...

I will do my best to get pics withing the next few days. In the mean time, if your interested in something, please LMK and I will be sure to take pictures of said item(s) for you...

If I do part it out, I would like to start with the 3800 stuff first. Just in case I can't sell off enough to make it interesting, I still have the option of putting the stock/stroked motor back in...

Sorry for the long-winded post,
AL

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 02-05-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where abouts in MA?

Sad day.. I've been battling the same thoughts recently... we're looking to move this year and I'm just trying to get mine in a position to at least roll so I can have it towed.
Was debating on parting/selling mine but then I drive my slow truck and think.. "wouldn't it be nice to drive fast again"

I'd be interested in seeing the front cross member
decklid
Hood w/ scoop
& possibly more
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

where abouts in MA?

Sad day.. I've been battling the same thoughts recently... we're looking to move this year and I'm just trying to get mine in a position to at least roll so I can have it towed.
Was debating on parting/selling mine but then I drive my slow truck and think.. "wouldn't it be nice to drive fast again"

I'd be interested in seeing the front cross member
decklid
Hood w/ scoop
& possibly more

Im in Danvers... Its sitting out back in my shop and I see it every day just sitting there
Ill take some pictures of requested items...

Anyone else interested in items please let me know and I will get those pictures up first.
While I understand I will never get back what I have invested, I am not desperate either

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-30-2017).]

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about pix of fenders, hood and rear lid?
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hood

[img]

[img]

[img]

Under side looks as good as the top

WTF... Duno why the pics are not showing up and I don't have the time to deal with it now. Ill play around with it later...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-30-2017).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you have a modified Fiero thermostat housing that is commonly used on the 3800 swaps?
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Any chance you have a modified Fiero thermostat housing that is commonly used on the 3800 swaps?

At this point in time, I would like to keep the motor-swap as complete as possible; in case someone wants the whole thing...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
Fenders w/ vents

[img]

[img]
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
Rear deck lid

[img]

[img]

[img]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
UPDATE - I have been getting allot of interest in the motor...

The motor need a handfull of wires pinned to the ecu and digital CC. It also need the FPR , coolant & a/c hoses plumed.
If I were to sell the motor as a drop-out, you would get EVERYTHING 3800sc related that I have.

The motor has a new AC comp., Alt., and the starter also looked new.
As I mentioned, I was told the motor came from a y2k car and had 10k on it. While I did not pull the entire motor apart; what I did see would indicate to me that the motor indeed had VERY few miles... You can also see from the pictures, the motor also has some nice upgrades like the billet fuel rails and MSD ignition (mounted on a custom bracket). The digital CC would also be included and is attached via a custom bracket by the air filter.

Motor/ecu
Custom exhaust
Digital CC
Fuel tank w/ high PSI pump
new axles
Modified, strengthened and powder coated cradle
Modified dogbone mount - I would need your stock one in return
Another 98 3800sc parts motor - disassembled
And im sure im missing allot

3800 motor, sorry for the dust

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-31-2017).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
Some interior pics

PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interested n the hood. how much you thinking?

- I can also swap you my stock hood if you need.

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 01-30-2017).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

interested n the hood. how much you thinking?

- I can also swap you my stock hood if you need.

The hood came our beautiful and ready for paint. The air-gaps within the bracing was filled with black closed-cell (dons't absorb water) spray foam. It also retains the stock size and shape of the front trunk/gasket. It took me forever to get it perfectly smooth, top side and bottom...

message me an offer...
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great looking machine and set of parts I don't understand your low motivation, but may I suggest put it somewhere you can't see it for 10 years and then go look at it again

Took me 10 to decide I wanted another and every single time I drive it I have a great feeling of how wonderful these things really are for their age espeicially when everything is working right.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low motivation comes from two little kids sucking the life out of ya
Combined with taking care of home projects and trying to run a business (self employed), I just have very little time to devote to this...
And unfortunately, I do not have any other storage options other than in my shop warehouse...
With that being said, if I can't get reasonable amounts for items, it may just sit till my retirement

Originally posted by wgpierce:

This is a great looking machine and set of parts I don't understand your low motivation, but may I suggest put it somewhere you can't see it for 10 years and then go look at it again

Took me 10 to decide I wanted another and every single time I drive it I have a great feeling of how wonderful these things really are for their age espeicially when everything is working right.

HUMPTY DUMPTY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HUMPTY DUMPTYSend a Private Message to HUMPTY DUMPTYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent a pm asking about pricing ? On some items
revson1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revson1Send a Private Message to revson1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in the front hubs and rear knuckles. Let me know price shipped to 94539.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in it all (to complete it as a car) LMK.

bd5av8r (gmail.com)

Thanks!
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wheres the pics of the 3.1??
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

I'm interested in it all (to complete it as a car) LMK.

bd5av8r (gmail.com)

Thanks!

All of what? EVERY fiero part I have? I have a **** -ton of misc parts as well...
PM me what your thinking...
akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2017 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
PFF
System Bot
vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2017 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi, if nobody has spoken for them, I would be interested in your front fenders, albeit I hope you decide to keep it and finish it some day!
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vette7584:

hi, if nobody has spoken for them, I would be interested in your front fenders, albeit I hope you decide to keep it and finish it some day!

I have a couple people interested in the whole car; I would like to keep her intact for as long as possible...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided to give this project one last push - Thanks to all that expressed interest in purchasing my items and encouraging me to complete her. For at least the next few months, all parts will NOT be sold

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock