Performance sound for an '88 GT with T-tops by railshot
Started on: 12-14-2016 08:10 PM
Replies: 12 (360 views)
Last post by: railshot on 12-17-2016 07:01 PM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageClick Here to Email railshotSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been thinking about this a lot recently, and was just wondering if anyone would have a complete setup for an '88 GT with T-tops for sale?
If the speaker is shot, I can get one of Rodney's for it, no biggie....

Did some Google searches and could not find much anywhere about T-tops and performance sound, so asking the "big boys" if anything is unique to a T-top.

I am not electrically handicapped, so this should be easy to do once I remove my headliner and interior for refurb next spring?
Although,....... I did let all the "magic smoke" (as the boys at work call it) out of my Alpine replacement radio last summer......
LOL, faceplate is still good!

Just one of those things on my list.
Not sure if it matters, but I have a later Pontiac CD player installed now..... Monsoon to be exact.....

PM me here, or as usual, railshot@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Dave
a.k.a. railshot
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2016 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
only difference is the overhead console. best option is to buy the entire unit for a non ttop and remove the guts from the console for the base control take a dremel and cut out the same size hole on the ace of your ttop console and install.

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 12-15-2016).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now lets add "beechwood" to the complexity list. Try finding a 88 only beechwood, t-top, overhead sound bar. I have an 88, beechwood, t-top car and I was looking to put the factory overhead control in my car, same problem. I'm not sure they made any, and if they did it has to be one rare part. Yes, you can take any of the gray or brown ones and paint them to match (that may be what they did if any were ordered) but I've never had luck painting anything w/ beechwood paint.

Rob
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to paint one all you have to do is take the wiring out and cut the proper sized hole for the slider into your ttop overhead console. Then glue the grey performance sound cover on and your good To go.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2016 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

now lets add "beechwood" to the complexity list. Try finding a 88 only beechwood, t-top, overhead sound bar. I have an 88, beechwood, t-top car and I was looking to put the factory overhead control in my car, same problem. I'm not sure they made any, and if they did it has to be one rare part. Yes, you can take any of the gray or brown ones and paint them to match (that may be what they did if any were ordered) but I've never had luck painting anything w/ beechwood paint.

Rob

For any t-top conversion they simply take the overhead console, cut off the corners and slip a cover over it with the two semi-circular cut-outs for the tops. This section was painted to match regardless of color. When I did my t-top conversion I didn't know at the time how rare beechwood was so I cut up my beechwood console. But I ended up painting the whole thing black anyway.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off question, how good was the performance sound anyways? I just took the rest of mine out of the car because it was all disconnected by the previous owners.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 88 I just bought has a working sub, its one of Rodney's aftermarket ones. I like it. I find myself adjusting the gain all the time, music from the radio is different than the music off my phone. I have to turn down the gain for all the digital music and back up for the radio.

Rob
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageClick Here to Email railshotSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really good feedback from everyone.
I think I will find a factory one as mentioned above and modify it for the T-tops by inserting the slider into my existing dome light, putting in one of Rodney;s speakers, and putting the sticker on it.
Now, does anyone have one available?

I have a good 4 months to prepare it for installation as we are in the middle of a "winter storm" pfffff,.............. I used to walk to school in 3rd grade, uphill, with 500 mph winds worse than this!
Hehehe......
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a factory overhead light and sub-woofer control slider for the T-Top on eBay right now. Sounds like just what you are looking for. How often does that happen!

(not mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...a:g:ZnoAAOSw-0xYUwK7
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageClick Here to Email railshotSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

There is a factory overhead light and sub-woofer control slider for the T-Top on eBay right now. Sounds like just what you are looking for. How often does that happen!

(not mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...a:g:ZnoAAOSw-0xYUwK7

Nice find!
Only problem is I need the amp and the speaker also, and I just do not see that in the auction?
I will contact them anyway just to see if the other components are available.
Thanks for the heads up!
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I thought you were just looking for that piece. I think its a rare find if you want that factory look.

I have a sub enclosure, an amp and I believe a complete set of wiring. I have no idea if the amp works or the condition of the speaker. I can kick around in the garage this weekend and send some pics if you like.
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (90)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroClick Here to Email mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Nice find!
Only problem is I need the amp and the speaker also, and I just do not see that in the auction?
I will contact them anyway just to see if the other components are available.
Thanks for the heads up!

I have several amps and 1 or 2 good speakers. I probably have enough parts for two complete subwoofer systems, but the wiring harnesses all have the radio plug cut off. I do not have the T-Top trim cap to cover the cut maplight though, so if you need that I can't help.

LMK if I can help.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageClick Here to Email railshotSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

I have several amps and 1 or 2 good speakers. I probably have enough parts for two complete subwoofer systems, but the wiring harnesses all have the radio plug cut off. I do not have the T-Top trim cap to cover the cut maplight though, so if you need that I can't help.

LMK if I can help.

I am sending a pm to you, thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock