Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Steering Wheel Recovery Service - Updated (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Steering Wheel Recovery Service - Updated by Irrationable
Started on: 12-07-2016 12:21 PM
Replies: 91 (7621 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 09-29-2022 09:56 PM
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldsoandso:

I realize this isn`t your business but I need (1) splined hub and (2)plastic trim pieces and (2) of the plastic collars that fit right beneath the wheel. I don`t know if you extras or have a source for them, I`m changing over from 4 spoke wheels to gt wheels.

PM sent. I don't have any splined hubs, but I can make some of the trim pieces/collars for you.
IP: Logged
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a beechwood GT steering wheel and manual shift knob done by this guy. I just got them back, and they look fantastic. His service is definitely recommended.
oldsoandso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldsoandsoSend a Private Message to oldsoandsoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes could make me two flat disc for the horn button to hook to and two collars to cover the spline.
JOE 4RE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JOE 4RESend a Private Message to JOE 4REEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a '88 GT with light beachwood interior. Have enough material to do the wheel (extra padded) & manual shift knob?

THANKS

------------------
JOE 4RE
'88 Fiero GT
Med. Red Metallic
loaded 5 speed

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JOE 4RE:

I have a '88 GT with light beachwood interior. Have enough material to do the wheel (extra padded) & manual shift knob?

THANKS

PM sent!

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 09-15-2017).]

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had sent you a PM about possibly doing a wheel and shift knob for me as well for another car... Let me know when you have time. Thanks!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fall bump! Still recovering wheels, planning on updating this thread to reflect the new colors of leather and thread that I have available.
old photos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for old photosSend a Private Message to old photosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P M sent about Gera shift knob

Old Photos
old photos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2017 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for old photosSend a Private Message to old photosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex

P M sent about a Indy $speed shift knob

old photos
old photos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for old photosSend a Private Message to old photosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
old photos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for old photosSend a Private Message to old photosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex

Thank You For The Outstanding Job on my 1984 Indy 4 speed Gear shift Knob

Oldphotos
Walt
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the holidays! I am currently on my holiday break from classes, which leaves me with ample time to work on wheels once again. If you were thinking about having a wheel recovered or need one done quickly, now would be the best time to contact me about sending one out,
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent Alex
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You For The Outstanding Job on my steering wheel Alex
JOE 4RE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JOE 4RESend a Private Message to JOE 4REEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my aftermarket wheel and shift knob back from Alex and all I can say is..... WOW!!

Excellent job tackling a wheel he hadn't tried before and knocking it outta the park... will be sending him my GT wheel to recover soon as well!

THANKS ALEX!!

------------------
JOE 4RE
'88 Fiero GT
Med. Red Metallic
loaded 5 speed

[This message has been edited by JOE 4RE (edited 02-19-2018).]

lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you still recovering wheels? I need your order form, i have a wheel ready to ship to you. Check your p.m.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex does such an amazing job, I just might ask him to cover my cars' body panels in leather!
Keep up the great work, I will be posting pictures Manda's new black and pink wheel soon! She LOVES it!
Fiero_Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_GuySend a Private Message to Fiero_GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Got my steering wheel back looks amazing thanks Alex!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the summer. I've got some interesting updates to post once I redownload PIP. Those of you on the Fiero Facebook page might have an idea what it is... More info to come soon!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, I have quite a few new items/services to debut, as well as a peek at a current work in progress. The biggest update is that in addition to Fiero steering wheels, I am now recovering non-Fiero wheels! Pricing for non-Fiero wheels is assessed on a case-by-case basis, and depends on the complexity of the wheel and the amount of material needed to recover it. Here are a few pictures of some of the non-Fiero wheels I've been working on recently:

First-gen MR2 wheel

Second-gen Scion tC wheel

Aftermarket wheel, modeled after MOMO's Millennium Evo steering wheel.
PFF
System Bot
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2018 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the turn around time on these? I'm looking at getting the wheel below done, but don't really want to buy a spare wheel so I can get this one redone. Smooth leather on top and bottoms with the sides being perforated same color. Not a crazy color so I'd trust you to be able to match with what you have available. I'd have the bag and trim off and you'd get the wheel only.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

What is the turn around time on these? I'm looking at getting the wheel below done, but don't really want to buy a spare wheel so I can get this one redone. Smooth leather on top and bottoms with the sides being perforated same color. Not a crazy color so I'd trust you to be able to match with what you have available. I'd have the bag and trim off and you'd get the wheel only.

PM sent
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Besides working to recover steering wheels, I have also continued to tinker with casting new parts using black urethane plastic. In addition to the 3000GT-style shift knobs that I have been making already, I am now producing MR2-style shift knobs and replacement trim rings for GT/Indy steering wheels.

The MR2-style knob is great for those that prefer a pistol-grip shifter. However, it must be used with a short/straightened shifter, as the depth of the threads causes the knob not to clear the kink in stock shifter arm. Like the 3000GT knobs, these have a textured surface, as well as a 5-speed shift pattern molded into top of the knob. For those of you with 4 speed cars or those looking for shift knobs to match the rest of your interior, these knobs are also available wrapped in leather.

In addition to the shift knobs, I will also be selling do-it-yourself short shifter kits. These consist of a 6in steel rod threaded with the same pattern as a stock Fiero shifter (M16 x 1.5). Simply grind the welds holding your old shifter rod and weld this one in its place. These will work with both the original Fiero shift knob and the knobs that I offer. Leather shift boots like the one pictured below are also available upon request.

And last but not least, I have my replacement trim rings for GT and Indy steering wheels. In the past, I have had several steering wheels arrive with broken trim rings due to improper packaging. Until now, replacing a broken trim ring meant having to track down a spare wheel or find another member here on the forum who had a spare set. The walls and mounting tabs of these trim rings are twice the thickness of the OEM rings, making them much sturdier than the brittle and aging originals. Each set of rings comes with installation instructions and mounting rivets.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 07-13-2018).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And now for a sneak peek of my next project... Integrating steering wheel controls into a Fiero GT wheel. This is accomplished by installing the control board from a 2011-2016 Scion tC into a Fiero GT wheel, which gives you Volume +/- Seek up/down and Mode. The buttons are concealed beneath the leather of the wheel, and are raised just enough so that you can locate them without looking, while still being subtle in order to retain the appearance of a stock wheel.

In order for these buttons to function correctly, and aftermarket radio and steering wheel signal converter box are needed, and the Fiero steering column must be adapted to incorporate a clockspring mechanism and a longer upper column shaft and plastic shroud/cover. All the parts needed to adapt the Fiero column can be found on mid 90s Cadillac vehicles that came equipped with Heat/AC controls on the steering wheels.

Once I have finished the installation in my own car, my goal is to begin offering steering wheel controls as an option when having a GT steering wheel recovered. I will also be putting together a build thread fully documenting the process of disassembling the donor column and adapting the Fiero column. Customers who have steering wheel controls incorporated into their wheels can either source their own donor column (around $35-40 at a U-pull-it yard) or purchase the required parts (clockspring, upper column shaft, upper column shroud/cover) from me for an additional fee.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 07-13-2018).]

predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome!!!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would include this here. This is Alex's leather 3000GT shift handle, with silver blue stitching that matches the stitching on my wheel, that he did for me last year.
Nice work! The pic doesn't do it justice.
(I should add that it's about half the price of the SLP/Hurst knob that some people - including me - have been using.)
Now I just need to get a taller boot.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-09-2018).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want a taller handle, but many people want a shorter shift handle.

When you get the taller boot, maybe you'll get the silver blue stitching.

Yes, Alex does great work.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 07-10-2018).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

You want a taller handle, but many people want a shorter shift handle.

When you get the taller boot, maybe you'll get the silver blue stitching.

Yes, Alex does great work.

I used to have a shorter shift handle. The problem is that my select gate is stiff as hell, even with a new "Rodney" cable. Must have huge springs (or something) in the trans, to center the select lever. (It's a T-550. I don't remember my Getrags being that stiff. Neither is my Isuzu.)

Russ did the boot. It's quite nice, too.
He already told me he could do a taller one. That's probably next on the list.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick bump. Now that I have PIP up and working again, I have posted pictures to go along with the updates I posted earlier in the week. More cool things to come!
Buck531

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still need to send you my spare steering wheel. Just other things keep popping up (blown diff at the track), etc. I'll get it to you eventually!

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, FSIC, 2.8 pulley. 12.1@111 1.7 60'.

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you keep a set of cores to overlap with orders or do we have to send one prior to recovering?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. I haven't been frequenting the forums lately, although a lot of folks have been contacting me via the facebook Fiero page to have their wheels done.

Unfortunately, I wont be recovering wheels for much longer, as I am done with school and off to face new challenges. If you would like to have a wheel recovered, get in touch with me ASAP and I'll try to squeeze you in.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 12-06-2018).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Do you keep a set of cores to overlap with orders or do we have to send one prior to recovering?

I do usually keep one or two spare cores available for situations in which customers cant pull their own wheel and leave their car out of commission for longer than a few days. However, this involves paying an additional core fee, which I then refund once the customer sends in their old wheel after installing the new one.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2018 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

Bump. I haven't been frequenting the forums lately, although a lot of folks have been contacting me via the facebook Fiero page to have their wheels done.

Unfortunately, I wont be recovering wheels for much longer, as I am done with school and off to face new challenges. If you would like to have a wheel recovered, get in touch with me ASAP and I'll try to squeeze you in.

Well this is sad, get me all worked up on your radio control steering wheel then you talk about ending your great service.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

Well this is sad, get me all worked up on your radio control steering wheel then you talk about ending your great service.

My apologies to you and any others who were anticipating the steering wheel controls option. While I did get the wheel completed and mounted in my car, I hit a few snags. After rebuilding my column with the longer steering shaft and clockspring I was forced to further modify the hub and shorten the trim ring in order for the wheel to seat properly.

The first steering wheel control signal conversion box I purchased did not work at all (Metra Axxess ASWC-1). After doing some more digging, I purchased another conversion box that came highly recommended and can be manually programmed (Maestro ADSMSW) but I have yet to install and program it due to time constraints.

While I had initially hoped to offer this option for a few months leading up to my "retirement" at the end of the year, I did not feel comfortable selling a product that I had yet to get working properly in my own vehicle.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2018 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I sent a PM about a gray GT with extra padding, but no response. Got time for one?
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sent you an email...
kzelisko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kzeliskoSend a Private Message to kzeliskoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock