Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  CNC Machining: Custom parts/engraving/modifications and 'production' runs!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
CNC Machining: Custom parts/engraving/modifications and 'production' runs! by fieromadman
Started on: 10-21-2016 09:35 PM
Replies: 34 (1304 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 05-24-2017 10:06 AM
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was really active in the Fiero community (and young) I had a great need for many custom parts. I am posting this because I thought that perhaps we could help each other out.

I'm a machinist with a decade of experience and expertise in programming almost anything you can dream of.

Do you need a custom part?

Do you see a part not currently offered, or one that's subpar and you'd like a different rendition of it?

Do you want some custom engraving?

Need fabrication?

I'm your guy to get these things done. Obviously the more cost effective route would be to come up with something that is able to be produced in quantities. I'm willing to consider anything machining or fabrication related.
I've got an open CNC and am looking to put it to use!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please make stealth wing stands as we used to have available from blacktop racing! Haha I think a machined aluminum version would please each and every one of us as opposed to the previous cast mold offering!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Could I bring to your attention This thread... and more specifically, the link to a file in This post.

These intake spacers have been bandied about in discussion here several times, but it has yet to get beyond that point. Is this something along the lines of what you can do?

Chooko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChookoSend a Private Message to ChookoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Interior trim for the gauge cluster, shifter surround, radio surround and aux gauges surround. (Might have to use a commercially available vent for the HVAC and ideally there would be matching vents available for the dash corners).
2. Center console skeleton and skeleton for the radio and HVAC vents (cant remember if this attached to the center console skeleton or separate.)
3. Interior door handles / lock tabs / inner door handle bezels / bezel screw covers
4. Ashtray doors
5. Ashtrays that are meant to hold a small iPod
6. Spacers for between the upper and middle intake manifolds
7. Replacement HVAC buttons (Not sure how hard it would be to take the control unit apart but always thought it'd be cool).
8. Seat mechanism covers
9. Seat recline handles
10. Shift console switch plate

I'm not sure if some of these are even possible, and there may be vendors offering some already. But they are all things I have thought might be cool if I had unrestricted access to a CNC and someone who knew how to use it.

------------------

Joe

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2016 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Indy pace car wheels in 17 or 18" well they are not just pacecar wheels, but..
A stock look wheel, in todays rim size.. can make just the centers and weld the hoop or bolt to hoop.
like the gta wheel or aftermarket 2/3 piece wheels..(respectfully) this would allow for many different offsets backspace and widths.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-22-2016).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Please make stealth wing stands as we used to have available from blacktop racing! Haha I think a machined aluminum version would please each and every one of us as opposed to the previous cast mold offering!

I'm interested. It wouldn't be too difficult to make these out of aluminum. As I don't currently have a Fiero, from my brief research it looks like I would need a fastback and notchback to use as test fit vehicles as well as the wing obviously.

Probably the most cost effective route would be to make these out of 3 pieces and have them tig welded together. That is of course if you all are OK with the appearance of that. Otherwise we can mill it out from a solid block, but that would be a significant jump up in the ammount of CNC time. The advantage of an aluminum piece is that you don't have to paint it if you don't want and also the fastener issues that previous versions seemed to have are non-existent.

If this is something that has significant ammounts of interest I can model it up and get and estimated time on the process which would then give me a cost estimate. Were the last ones sold for $100 a pair?

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 66# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieromadman

2217 posts
Member since Jan 2003

Originally posted by Patrick:

Could I bring to your attention This thread... and more specifically, the link to a file in This post.

These intake spacers have been bandied about in discussion here several times, but it has yet to get beyond that point. Is this something along the lines of what you can do?

I'm working on quoting this part off the model provided. It shouldn't change much even if there are pocket size/spacing issues. This is something that I would be very interested in machining for the record.

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 66# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieromadman

2217 posts
Member since Jan 2003
I'd be interested in the seat recline handles out of aluminum and possibly the ash trays that hold something significant.

The ash trays are more of a stamping process than a machining process and I just don't really have the equipment to get that accomplished. The ash trays would only be feasible if i knew that the price point was right and the market was good.

The seat recline handles are a weak point of the interior and I bet that I could sell quite a few of them. Thoughts on this from others? Would you just want a raw aluminum look? Might be something cool to see when you open the door. Perhaps we could engrave a Fiero logo on them?

The wheels are out of my spectrum right now. Frankly, that is way too much liability for me.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

I'm interested. It wouldn't be too difficult to make these out of aluminum. As I don't currently have a Fiero, from my brief research it looks like I would need a fastback and notchback to use as test fit vehicles as well as the wing obviously.

Probably the most cost effective route would be to make these out of 3 pieces and have them tig welded together. That is of course if you all are OK with the appearance of that. Otherwise we can mill it out from a solid block, but that would be a significant jump up in the ammount of CNC time. The advantage of an aluminum piece is that you don't have to paint it if you don't want and also the fastener issues that previous versions seemed to have are non-existent.

If this is something that has significant ammounts of interest I can model it up and get and estimated time on the process which would then give me a cost estimate. Were the last ones sold for $100 a pair?

A two or three piece design wouldn't be a bad idea. If I recall, blacktop sold these for near $125 with hardware and new simple gaskets for the decklid side. The variance between notchies and fastbacks is accomplished with an extra hole per side so the single pair would fit any car, I believe.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe there is a market for is a 3800 swap head pipe consisting of the flange the 90* bend and the U-bend. Some trimming at the U-bend would allow the muffler to shift a bit from side to side and fit engines mounted slightly left or right. It would also fit the need for the no trunk cut exhaust method. No one has solved the plug and play 3800 exhaust system as yet but it can be done.
How about a dress up item; a chrome cover for the ugly water fill cap?
While the 4.9L swap has decreased in popularity, there may be a need for a front engine mount. WCF sells one but it only fits the stick swap.
Power steering delete pulley mount for 3800 swaps where the alternator is kept in the stock position.
The elusive air grill wing screw and holding washer. This would certainly be a HOT item.
Power door lock bellcrank mechanism conversion that enables the popular straight line activators available everywhere.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seat recline handles are a great idea
Pencil me in for 2 sets
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm working on quoting this part off the model provided. It shouldn't change much even if there are pocket size/spacing issues. This is something that I would be very interested in machining for the record.

Okay, that would be great. I suspect that the file which jmbishop uploaded and supplied the link to has the correct dimensions, but I've got no way of viewing and/or checking it.

If this is something that could be machined by you for an agreeable price, then I'd need to double-check the clearance under my Formula's decklid. Without the upper intake hitting the underside of the decklid, I'd like the spacers to be as thick as possible (1" or thereabouts).

Anyway, there's absolutely no hurry on this. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-22-2016).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd be interested in the seat recline handles out of aluminum and possibly the ash trays that hold something significant.

The seat recline handles are a weak point of the interior and I bet that I could sell quite a few of them. Thoughts on this from others? Would you just want a raw aluminum look? Might be something cool to see when you open the door. Perhaps we could engrave a Fiero logo on them?

This sounds cool.
LaFierte

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LaFierteSend a Private Message to LaFierteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also be interested in the same part as what Patrick is looking for.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too! Intake spacers! With custom engraving with new bolts!!
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not make the hood emblems that are on this site with all those people saying that want these or those and are willing to prepay?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The answer is that I don't know of the hood emblem ordeal. Could you point me to the thread for those? I haven't been active on this forum for years...

------------------
***SOLD***

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 66# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate.

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's another idea I would love to see, door handles that match and flow with the side molding. Since I have an 86 and 87 GT, i would obviously request the round smooth variety. i think a cap-style piece applied with 3M tape would be preferred over a complete handle. Would be easier to install, for sure.
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I got done quoting the intake manifold spacers.

Obviously the engraving is going to be changed to something that we can generally all agree on. I could do custom engraving also but that will add some cost for the programming. I don't have final dimensions because I'm just going off the drawing provided above. Also this is for a .625" thick spacer. A thicker spacer will cost more money because of material and cut time to take off more thickness worth of material. This is for 6061 aluminum with no coatings or paint.

Shipping, 'standard' engraving, hardware and gaskets included: $110.75 usd shipped in the lower 48. This is a set price obviously including 2 spacers and everything else needed.

If people find this agreeable (and please don't hold me to this price exactly until we get a general consensus that all potential customers are satisfied) I'll move forward with a test set. Also it looks like I might be able to offer a version without engraving for about 15 dollars less a set.

If it seems those who have chimed in so far are happy with this product then I will create a separate thread.

BTW, I'm still interested in doing other products but this guy only has so much time for his side business so this may be a long drawn out process to get everything developed.

-Jeff Depies
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for a set just need shipping cost to Ontario L5R 4H1
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jjd2296

1411 posts
Member since Jan 2016
Also will you be providing the right sized bolts with the kit? And are we sure this is the right size for good clearance?

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 10-25-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me be clear. Right now I'm doing a feeler to make sure there is enough interest. I need to do the following steps before I can actually offer these:

1.Get measurements for decklid to intake manifold clearence
2. Get a manifold to take real measurements off of because right now it's just based off a model that I haven't confirmed is correct.
3. Test a set
4. Come up with a consensus as to what the engraving should say.

I'm happy to get you a quote on shipping once a product is finalized.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the right length and size hardware figured out already but that will obviously be determined during the test fitting phase.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...this is for a .625" thick spacer.

Are there different thicknesses of available stock that you can choose from? I realize that the thickness can be machined down from/to any size... but to keep machining time/costs down, I'm wondering what the available options might be. So for example, is there stock you can use that's closer to a full inch thick?

Obviously before any size is chosen (especially something thicker), careful measuring will need to be done in each buyer's engine bay for decklid clearance. I imagine allowances should also be made for any torquing/movement of the engine during hard acceleration/deceleration.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2016).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. I can order in 1/4 inch increments. Keep in mind I need stock to take off the faces to make sure it is a good flat surface for the gaskets to seal to. I was allowing 1/8 inch extra.

It costs about 7 dollars per 1/4 inch of thickness (machining and material). If we start getting really thick that increases exponentially.

I don't own a fiero any longer so folKs I'm asking you to measure clearence on both a coupe and a fastback so we can see what the limit is and where to go from there.

Thank you
Jeff
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't own a fiero any longer so folKs I'm asking you to measure clearence on both a coupe and a fastback so we can see what the limit is and where to go from there.

I'm also wondering if there'll be any variance in how the engine/tranny sits in the bay from '85 - '88 due to differences in mounts etc.

I'll try and see what the decklid clearances are with my '88 Formula, although I admit I'm not quite sure what the best way to do this is. If it's not raining tomorrow (no garage), I'll have a look.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm also wondering if there'll be any variance in how the engine/tranny sits in the bay from '85 - '88 due to differences in mounts etc.

I'll try and see what the decklid clearances are with my '88 Formula, although I admit I'm not quite sure what the best way to do this is. If it's not raining tomorrow (no garage), I'll have a look.

Ball of "play-dough" or modeling clay on top the plenum, close lid, open, then measure what's left of the play dough.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The answer is that I don't know of the hood emblem ordeal. Could you point me to the thread for those? I haven't been active on this forum for years...

Here is the thread that talk about these emblems.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063165.html

Might want to talk with Clift about this since he made the design.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

Ball of "play-dough" or modeling clay on top the plenum, close lid, open, then measure what's left of the play dough.

Simple, but good suggestion. Thanks.

I won't be messing with Play-Doh and decklid clearances today though... non-stop rain outside.
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:
Here is the thread that talk about these emblems.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063165.html

Might want to talk with Clift about this since he made the design.

Thanks for the link. I'll check into it!

Also thank you in advance Patrick for taking the initiative to get the measurement.
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about sun roof latch mechanism?

------------------
87 coupe 4 cyl, 5 speed

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I won't be messing with Play-Doh and decklid clearances today though... non-stop rain outside.

Sorry Jeff... I haven't forgotten about this, but it's monsoon season here. Plus there have been other unfortunate distractions relating to my 15 year old dog. It's been a little tough the last few days.
PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Patrick!
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would pay a fair amount for an aluminum version of the 96-99 northstar intake manifold.

------------------

unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awww... There are my spacers! .... I was looking for them?? Anyway.. I love my spacers and are a great rendention to my build. I was looking for those to share. Glad you got someone to build them for you Patrick!

------------------

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-07-2016).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock