Wanted: Woring DELCO Cassette Head Unit with EQ for my 86 GT by scottd
Started on: 10-19-2016 09:56 AM
Replies: 13 (256 views)
Last post by: JJFieroFan on 10-22-2016 08:05 PM
scottd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Everyone,
I have rebuilt my original head unit with new belts, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out why the cassette player keeps kicking out tapes. I think it is now time to look for a nice original replacement. Please let me know if you have one and what you want for it. Thank you guys!

------------------
--Scott D
Stock 1986 White GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the capstan does not rotate the tapes will eject or the eject button return spring could be bad. I'm surprised that you still use cassette tapes to play music. They went obsolete over 20 years back.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nostalgia. If I use a clear tape and I hold it in, I can see it rotating, but no sound comes out. The tape will stay in for a moment while it attempts to play, switches sides, then ejects.
Formula350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula350Send a Private Message to Formula350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that has been sitting in my garage for the last 15 years or so. Have no idea if it works or not. If you're willing to pay shipping, I send it free of charge.

Can snap a pic if you want to see it.

scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. This community looks to be full of great people. Thank you.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

. I'm surprised that you still use cassette tapes to play music. They went obsolete over 20 years back.

I have cassettes I made over 30 years ago that I still listen to in my cassette player in my Fieros. It's very close to impossible to find a 30 year old cassette player that works. I bought a refurbished one and it barely works.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by scottd:

Hey Everyone,
I have rebuilt my original head unit with new belts, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out why the cassette player keeps kicking out tapes. I think it is now time to look for a nice original replacement. Please let me know if you have one and what you want for it. Thank you guys!

Is yours the version with all pushbuttons, or does it have knobs for volume and tuning? I'm trying to figure out what years used the pushbuttons.

scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the one with the knobs and the EQ. (not my picture below, but my head unit is this exact model)

Were the EQ and Pushbuttons an optional upgrade?

[This message has been edited by scottd (edited 10-20-2016).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine's like the picture also. Its a good radio; funny thing too since it was only $14 from the junkyard but not inexpensive to get it fixed. It had a bunch of issues.

I've seen Fieros with the pushbutton radios but I don't know if they were stock - its easy to swap in other GM radios so who knows.

I like the Delco cassette radios because if I had a modern stereo, I'd be fixated on how the color and lighting of it didn't match the rest of the dashboard. And I'm not an audio buff so the quality upgrade wouldn't matter anyway.
scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to think I am an audio buff, but I really am nostalgic about my car. When I drive it, I want the whole experience... within reason. haha

I think this radio is pretty decent and I like being limited to listening to stuff that I recorded on cassette. The world is so over-saturated with information it is just nice to step back once in a while and breathe.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I like the Delco cassette radios because if I had a modern stereo, I'd be fixated on how the color and lighting of it didn't match the rest of the dashboard. And I'm not an audio buff so the quality upgrade wouldn't matter anyway.

LMAO!
I just changed the radio in my GT for this very reason!
Gotta have the right colors, or I would get arrested for distracted driving "fixating" on it.

scottd...... if you don't care if the lights are white instead of red, you can have my old radio along with the speedo stuff.
Let me know, and if we do meet up this weekend, I will bring it along for you.

PFF
System Bot
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were a variety of radios available for each year. For 1988 Delco moved production from Kokomo, Indiana to Mexico. They did not offer the all push button after the move. The all push button cassette radio was the top one for 1985 to 1987. I don't think it was available in 1984, but I might be wrong. It was a 550.00 option for 1985. There were no cd radios for Fiero, though they may have been available by 1988 for other models, that I do not know. I have a 2001 Pontiac Firebird CD player installed in mine and I kept the original radio in case I want to reinstall later. These still have the orange coloring, the Pontiac name and plug right in with a wiring adapter. Best of both worlds.

------------------
JJFieroFan
85 2m6 (85-91) should have kept it
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) sold to a friend
87 Fiero GT (13-now)
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD (07-now)
15 Nissan Juke S AWD (15-now)

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

There were a variety of radios available for each year. For 1988 Delco moved production from Kokomo, Indiana to Mexico. They did not offer the all push button after the move. The all push button cassette radio was the top one for 1985 to 1987.

That's very interesting! Confirms my suspicion that '87 was the last year for the pushbuttons but I don't remember where I had learned that. Perhaps its shown in the owners manual for '87 but not '88...

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked in the Fiero enthusiasts guide and it looks like the all push button radio (UT4) was indeed only offered from 1985-1987. I am a bit of a fanatic about the radios that were made by Delco Electronics in my home town of Kokomo as I had family that worked there. When I got my newer Pontiac CD player I got one that didn't have the Delco name on it since it was not made there anyway. There are plenty to choose from that have the orange lighting and would fit right in.

JJ

------------------
JJFieroFan
85 2m6 (85-91) should have kept it
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) sold to a friend
87 Fiero GT (13-now)
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD (07-now)
15 Nissan Juke S AWD (15-now)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: