3800sc exhaust NO TRUNK CUTTING by moodATM
Started on: 07-25-2016 10:58 PM
Replies: 12 (797 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 07-29-2016 06:48 AM
moodATM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moodATMSend a Private Message to moodATMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to buy a 3800 exhaust that requires no trunk cutting, I tried making my own and basically wasted $150 so now I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a pre-fabed one. Show me what you have and a price, I'd prefer something moderately loud but not so loud it will get me pulled over every 5 minutes.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to checkout member "Fierorog". I bought some 3800 mounts from him in January this year and he said the trunk friendly 3800 exhaust was coming soon.

I want mine to take the conventional 2.8 flow path but what he has in mind won't so my search goes on.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while ago Fierorog was talking about offering a prefab 3800 swap exhaust but I do not believe that he carried through on it. I do not believe that anyone makes what you need but if you can find someone just to make the head pipe the rest is easy.
All that is needed for a no cut 3800 exhaust is an exhaust flange, a 90* 3" pipe, a tight U -bend, a crossflow muffler and two 90* exhaust pipes. A direct fit exhaust will not be quiet but you can achieve an acceptable tone with a Spintech crossflow muffler. If you use 3" in with dual 2 1/2" outlets it won't be deafening but loud. With dual 2" outlets it will be lower, with Heddman resonator dual tips, it will be lower still. Beyond that insulating the underside of the deck lid and engine compartment will quiet it some. Some have reported good results by wrapping the exhaust system but I believe that this also expedites rust and erosion.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:I want mine to take the conventional 2.8 flow path but what he has in mind won't so my search goes on.

Spoon

Spoon, I know that West Coast Fiero sells what you are looking for. They're damn expensive but allows the 3800 to use normal Fiero exhaust. http://westcoastfiero.com/p...eaders-series-ii-iii

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:

Spoon, I know that West Coast Fiero sells what you are looking for. They're damn expensive but allows the 3800 to use normal Fiero exhaust. http://westcoastfiero.com/p...eaders-series-ii-iii

WCF headers are well made, look nice and priced over $1,000 but have been shown to produce less horsepower than the makeshift exhausts that members have made up, especially when the free flowing ZZ powerlog manifold has been added.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built two exhaust systems, the first for my 88GT 3800SC conversion and I used the magnaflow camaro V8 version suggested many times on Pennocks with a very tight u-bend, then two direct outlets with no trunk cutting required. The sound is not loud but a low rumble. On my sons 87GT 3800SC conversion, we installed the spintek muffler and it is a bit raspier, but he likes it that way. It also is smaller than the magnaflow and fit easier within the rear space of the 87GT frame. I completely wrapped the entire exhaust on his 87GT and it worked well to keep the internal heat down. We also kept his trunk blower in service and made a modified outlet piece to direct the air straight down over the new exhaust piping which has worked out well.

[This message has been edited by Curtisk1060 (edited 07-27-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curtisk1060:

I built two exhaust systems, the first for my 88GT 3800SC conversion and I used the magnaflow camaro V8 version suggested many times on Pennocks with a very tight u-bend, then two direct outlets with no trunk cutting required. The sound is not loud but a low rumble. On my sons 87GT 3800SC conversion, we installed the spintek muffler and it is a bit raspier, but he likes it that way. It also is smaller than the magnaflow and fit easier within the rear space of the 87GT frame. I completely wrapped the entire exhaust on his 87GT and it worked well to keep the internal heat down. We also kept his trunk blower in service and made a modified outlet piece to direct the air straight down over the new exhaust piping which has worked out well.

Sounds good but the OP is looking for a pre-fab 3800SC exhaust that fits without trunk cutting. Many of us have built our own exhaust systems but I would believe that the op is at least looking for a downpipe/headpipe assembly with the tight U-Bend to the muffler. If he has that component the rest of the exhaust is a piece of cake. I say buy a 90* bend and the tight radius U bend. Measure up, mark everything and take it to a welder to assemble . The rest can be done with a saw 90* bends, clamps, hangars and clamp on tips..

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

moodATM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moodATMSend a Private Message to moodATMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, if could get the tight U bend I'd be golden, I can weld it all up in just don't want to waste more money on messing it up, plus my chop saw blade is getting short on life so the less cutting i can do the better.I don't have access to all of my welding classes welders anymore or the machine shop so I'm stuck with my 110v flux core mig welder.

[This message has been edited by moodATM (edited 07-27-2016).]

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a 3" exhaust donut, cut it up for a U bend and 2 90s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Man...AOSwU9xUR9ao&vxp=mtr

Another option is use 2 short radius elbow butt weld plumbing fittings to make a U bend.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Here's a 3" exhaust donut, cut it up for a U bend and 2 90s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Man...AOSwU9xUR9ao&vxp=mtr

Another option is use 2 short radius elbow butt weld plumbing fittings to make a U bend.

or maybe something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIB...6pid%3D100005%26rk%3 D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351440268914
car54

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for car54Send a Private Message to car54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to do the same and I ordered all the parts from summit racing. As far as I know there are no kits. After doing a dry fit, I decided to cut out part of the trunk for 2 reasons.

1. The room between the trunk and engine is very tight making the fab difficult.
2. Heat retention. I felt the whole engine compartment would be cooler this way
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by car54:

I was going to do the same and I ordered all the parts from summit racing. As far as I know there are no kits. After doing a dry fit, I decided to cut out part of the trunk for 2 reasons.

1. The room between the trunk and engine is very tight making the fab difficult.
2. Heat retention. I felt the whole engine compartment would be cooler this way

I would say that you are correct that the direct fit exhaust is a very tight fit and a tedious fab job. I was able to get mine installed while even keeping the trunk heat shield so it can be done. Have not experienced any problems with heat as the new exhaust is smaller, non-restrictive and doesn't run around the engine as in stock configuration. When the Fiero is in motion, you'd be surprised how much air moves up through the engine compartment and out through the engine vents. One thing for sure though, a 3800 exhaust will be much easier to build with the lower half of the trunk removed but some people need to have a full trunk. On weekend trips to car shows with my wife, she doesn't travel light. If there was enough room she'd have a dozen suitcases with her.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2016 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just want to give a quick thumbs-up to Dennis. One of the first guys to reply to questions, and takes the time to give detailed responses with examples. Nice effort to help those of us who are not mechanically inclined...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock