Looking for 88 alternator heat shield by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 06-05-2016 11:00 PM
Replies: 7 (260 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-07-2016 11:53 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I am looking for the small sheetmetal deflector that attaches to the exhaust manifold on the 88 GT. (I am unsure if other years have this shield) It's purpose is to keep exhaust manifold heat from radiating toward the back side of the alternator. Does anyone have one? (in good-very good condition)
Thanks? Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I am unsure if other years have this shield.

88's with a V6 are the only Fieros to have this particular shield. The earlier V6's had a different alternator with a different style shield which attached directly to the alternator.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for confirming that only 88's have this special shield. And yes, I know pre-88 V6's have the round, dish style alternator shield that is for the SI series alternator. I want this 88 shielding for my 85 GT as I have just upgraded it to the CS130 style. Fiero alternators will die an early death if they are not protected from exhaust manifold heat.
Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want this 88 shielding for my 85 GT as I have just upgraded it to the CS130 style. Fiero alternators will die an early death if they are not protected from exhaust manifold heat.

Are you keeping the cooling tube for the alternator as well? I would.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-06-2016).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes but I really question how much they help. Exactly WHEN do they come on?? I know they come on with the A/C but I never use my ac. Do they come on when the radiator fan kicks in? If so, my fan only comes on when the engine is getting quite hot like in bumper to bumper traffic. By the way, I also have Thermo-Tec wrap on the trunk side exhaust manifold but the exhaust heat getting to the back of the alternator is still significant.
Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do they come on when the radiator fan kicks in?

Yep, same circuit.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I modified a SI heat shield to fit the CS alternator and it works well
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '88 alternator heat shield is pretty simple. I think it would be easy enough to make an effective heat shield with some constructive cutting/shaping of a small sheet of aluminum.

While looking for an image of an '88 alternator heat shield, I found the one above posted Here. It might still be available for sale. Kitskaboodle, contact him! (Use email address in thread.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock