1988 Base Coupe - must sell by tjthorson
Started on: 05-23-2016 09:27 AM
Replies: 5 (579 views)
Last post by: tjthorson on 06-19-2016 01:35 PM
tjthorson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,
I have an 88 base coupe that I bought last fall with the intention of restoring. I have had 10 fieros in the past, I'm sure this wont be the last. However, with a new house, my old house unsold, and my son seeming to have car issues so much every week that he needs to take my car for work, I need something else more of a daily driver as my second car...... So, I'm giving away my 88 base coupe - for what I paid for it. You get all the extra stuff I bought and put into it for free. This is priced very cheap - I'm not looking for games, haggling, or anyone being a PIA. Show up with the cash, check out that I am totally honest about the car, and drive it home. I would drive this car anywhere as it sits (I drove it back from Michigan, and that was before I did the work on it). I paid $1500 for it - AND I put a ton into it. Come this week with 1500 and its yours, otherwise I'm just going to trade it in on something else, rather have it stay in the family.

The good stuff.
88 base coupe, 5 speed, 4 cyl, 107K on the clock, clean Illinois title
brand new tires (literally 300 miles on them)
brand new crank sensor and ignition module
Brand new mirror glass
brand new shifter boot assy from fiero store
replaced cracked corner moldings from fiero store
new ashtrays from fiero store
brand new windshield from safelite
Interior is in remarkable good shape - all the dot matrix pieces are perfect, no broken corners, beechwood dash corners are perfect
all the gauges work, oil pressure good, engine runs very well (except see below) clutch and gears good. rides smooth and straight at 70 on the highway at 2500rpm
trunk corners and battery tray look like new. car is VERY low rust, perfect swap candidate
both headlights work well
oil pressure is great, engine is tight and smooth, gets 30+ mpg
New O2 sensor (see below)
I have bought most of the parts to finish it - but I just cant keep it now unfortunately. get these extra parts
replacement ECM (didn't need it)
brand new header, gaskets and bolts and springs
trunk release solenoid (was going to add it)
some trim pieces, parking brake cables, etc from previous owner
old ignition module as a spare (thought the slight miss at idle was the ign module, but I believe its the cracked header (see below)
new door lock kit from fiero store
new horn relay from fiero store

The not so good stuff.
drivers door lock cylinder missing - I have a new pair with new keys included, still in the box from the fiero store
some separation around shifter assembly, but the radio surround and glove box are in great shape
drivers door has ribbed molding instead of smooth
crack in drivers rocker panel
valve cover gasket area looks wet, I tightened it a bit, but probably could be replaced, rest of seals are all good.
radio sorta works, right side speakers crackle and don't really work, left side does.
climate controls are funky, fan works fine, heat works fine, just seems to blow heat out the defroster vents, and cold out the front vents at the same time.
horn doesn't work - I replaced the buttons since they were gone, I hear the relay click, but no horn
Its going to need paint - it looks much better in pics then it really is, but very little delamination on roof, little scratches and stuff all over. I started rubbing it out, but it should be sanded and sprayed.
passenger side sail panel frame is cracked (sail panel is fine) - replacement is in the trunk
drivers window is funky rolling up. it always rolls up, you just have to do it slow, something in the gears I suspect
has an exhaust leak, I suspect a cracked header, but I don't see it visually. A brand new header kit is in the trunk
SES light comes on after in gear deceleration for EGR - I suspect the cracked header is confusing the O2 sensor. sometimes idles rough, but runs out great, doesn't die, just the idle fluctuates, and I'm VERY picky about how my cars run....
CAT has been eliminated if you are in emissions test area, you will need to put one in.

I am over $2400 that I have into this thing, but I need a quick and easy sale. First one to commit to $1500, and show up - come check and see everything is exactly as I have described - and drive it home. I'm in the suburbs of Chicago.

Just because this is my 10th Fiero, and I have been to this dance before - Ill just give you the standard caveats.

No, I wont sell if for $1499, or $1299, or $500
No, I cant meet you halfway to Hawaii
No, I wont wait until August when your grandmother gives you the money
No, I wont finance it for you
No, I wont trade for your 1958 Edsel that's been in a barn since 1970.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This image was before I replaced the shifter boot - but it shows the dot matrix much closer then the other shots

------------------
Todd Thorson
Current Fiero - 88
http://www.toddsplace.com

[This message has been edited by tjthorson (edited 05-23-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If only you were closer
tjthorson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You aren't that far - I went to Michigan to get it in the first place. To have a truck pick it up would be about 500

Or, you can fly to OHare, Ill pick you up and you can drive the 6 hours home....

Originally posted by 1984whitesc:

If only you were closer

------------------
Todd Thorson
Current Fiero - NONE!

tjthorson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have thought $1500 was a fair price, especially all the work and money and extra parts I put into this car. I drove it all week to work (30 miles each way) and in stop and go traffic, never got hot, ran great, and I got well over 30mpg....

Oh well - off to flea bay to try and sell it I guess....

------------------
Todd Thorson
Current Fiero - NONE!

John Forsman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2016 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John ForsmanSend a Private Message to John ForsmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your car sold?
tjthorson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2016 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Forsman:

Is your car sold?

yes, sorry, forgot to update this thread.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock