1988 Red GT 5 Speed for sale (45XXX) by markkrug
Started on: 03-30-2016 11:30 PM
Replies: 12 (1330 views)
Last post by: markkrug on 01-14-2017 09:15 PM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All,

Due to some life decisions, I have decided to part with my 1988 Red GT 5 speed with a beechwood interior with just shy of 45000 miles. I am the 3rd owner (I believe) and it has been garaged its entire life. I have after-market rims but have the originals as well that come with the car. Additionally, I have brand new still in the box floor mats from the Pontiac dealer, a passenger side dew strip that I did not install, a car cover, original user manual, and a service manual. It has an after-market Kenwood stereo (original is still with car but has a short I believe) and Kenwood speakers installed in the front and waiting to be installed in the rear. I have a Kenwood amp with powers a Tangbang sub in an original sub box under the dash. It is pretty much as original as it can be. The car is kept in the garage and is not driven when it rains or if there is snow. I bought the car about 2 years ago and have put a slight bit over 2000 miles on the car in the last two years.

So while I have no immediate rush to sell it, if it is going to a good home I would consider selling it sooner. Johnny Rottin has seen it and I believe can vouch for the car if you need it inspected. It is an pretty good condition for a 28 year old car. No tears in the seats or rust anywhere. I had to replaced the EGR tube and had some vacuum leaks sealed.

Downside:

It does have a small oil leak and I mean small. After two years in my garage, I have some drips to show for it. Also, the A/C has not been converted so I do not use it and cannot vouch for its performance if recharged. I just haven't gotten around to it yet because I drive only the good days with the sunroof out and windows down. I also had the windows tinted and the rear quarter panels replaced with tinted ones as well. So that is not original but it looks good and matches, The pictures are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/...UHv_6VUDHgRNHWa?dl=0

I am asking $8000 but it is negotiable and again I am not in a rush to sell but will entertain reasonable offers. If interested, please email me at mark.a.krug@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had over 160 people look at this post and no feedback at all? Is this price too high, in the ballpark, etc? Please let me know. I'm not in a rush to sell but would like to at least be realistic in my attempt.

Thanks.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks beautiful, but as you know, it is a very limited market for these cars. I cringe when I see people post that "I am waiting for my tax refund to buy xxx part for my Fiero..." This tells me that a lot of people that are into these cars probably shouldn't be, as it is not cheap or practical to own and maintain such an old car.

I bought pretty much the same car, same condition from Paul Vargyas in Chicago about 4 years ago for $6500. Whether prices have gone up or down... who knows. Depends on the buyer. I would suggest posting some pics of the cradle, suspension, trunk corners to show that there is no rust. I have basically the same car as yours but with a Series III 3800 SC and an F23 trans, and I don't think I could get any more than $8k for it.

good luck with the sale
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There you are, Mark! I've been wondering what became of you. I guess you had just gotten it when I saw you.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. I have had it now for about 2 1/2 years. I hate to part with it but I will likely be moving to NYC in the near future. That's not really a car that I can take with me. I want to make sure that it goes to someone who will appreciate it for the classic that it is. My son has been driving it from time to time but it is not really a car to pass on to him.

I hope that all is well with the rest of the St. Louis gang. Every now and then I see a Fiero out and about and wonder if it is any of you all.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry you'll be leaving the area, but hope for the best for you in NYC. There's a lot of Fieros around that don't show up for anything.

The car looks great in the pics. I hope your car is worth $8,000. The problem is finding someone with $8,000 who wants a Fiero, and is willing to spend that to purchase your Fiero. JR is probably having the same problem.

So many Fieros are molested. I've seen tasteful mods, and that's fine, but too many are just cut up for a project that will never be completed, or left in the grass to rot. It'd be nice if yours was maintained as original.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
I cringe when I see people post that "I am waiting for my tax refund to buy xxx part for my Fiero..." This tells me that a lot of people that are into these cars probably shouldn't be, as it is not cheap or practical to own and maintain such an old car.

What's wrong with that? I used my tax refund to pay for a trip to the Dells, one year. This year, it paid for a dog. One year, it paid for a ”fireplace”. Another year, it paid for a Reader's Digest subscription for my father-in-law. One refund in the future may pay for paint for my Fiero.

Fieros aren't practical for me, but think what you would be spending on whatever else. I don't drink, smoke, go clubbing, go to concerts, sporting things, etc. I don't spend money on fishing, golf, ATVs, etc. I only rarely eat out. I take one vacation per year. I don't collect things. I don't travel much. Yes, I buy some gadgets, but from my bonuses and side jobs. I figure the things I don't spend money on save me about $4,000 per year. I figure I get 1 vice.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Mark...I'm interested but I would prefer original rims. Sorry, those just aren't for me.
I would be in STL end of May and would need a driveable Fiero that has preventative maint. Some of these things are what I consider biggest weak points.

Do you have pics of the headliner?
Does sunroof leak?
Pics of the tail light lens?
Pics of it at night with lights on?
Has coolant ever been flushed? Any signs of core leakage?
All paperwork from when new?
What oil are you using?
When were brakes replaced?
original fuel pump?
coolant fan kicking on automatically at 195? temp never exceeding 245?
Plugs? Ignitiion module? Original alternator? Any chirping from alternator?
Any videos you can share of it running?
Belts?
Ever had an alignment?
Does the clutch have soft smooth engagement?
Any pics of coolant pipes and rocker panels?
How come the front compartment is covered in so much dirt? was this car driven primarily on country roads?

A proper A/C retrofit would be at least 600 in parts + labor .
Why were the original sail panels replaced? Do you still have them too?

Hope it finds a good home!
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sricka01,

Lots of good questions. I will be happy to add the pictures you want when I get home. I'm away for work for the next 2 weeks. To answer what I can:

There are no issues with the coolant. I have not had it flushed and do not know what was done before I had the car. I did have it checked when I bought the car and there was no need for the flush. The brakes are fine and also checked at that time. It is the original fuel pump. No issues with the cooling fan. No alignment that I am aware of. Clutch engages fine. And the pictures that I posted were ones that I had from when I bought it. I am not sure what dirt you were seeing but it just needs cleaning which I did before I left home last week. And the original rims come with car. They are in boxes in my garage.

I'll post when the pics are uploaded.

Mark
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
The car looks beautiful, but as you know, it is a very limited market for these cars. I cringe when I see people post that "I am waiting for my tax refund to buy xxx part for my Fiero..." This tells me that a lot of people that are into these cars probably shouldn't be, as it is not cheap or practical to own and maintain such an old car.

it's funny.. because I cringed at this
PFF
System Bot
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just posted it on Craigslist. The price there is a bit higher but it remains for any member.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5726830700.html

Please pass along if you know someone who is looking for a collector car.

markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just bump this and lower the price a bit down to $7500.00. Remember, it also has all 4 original rims, a brand new set of floor mats, the original radio, and misc other items. The car has been garaged its entire life, not driven in inclement weather and is in superior condition.

I do not have to sell as my youngest will be license shortly and will need a car but I would rather this car go to a collector than have a teenage boy put miles on it.

Soups On!

Mark

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock