Started on: 01-24-2016 11:57 PM
Replies: 90 (4635 views)
Last post by: Fiero Thomas on 02-06-2020 07:14 PM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The genesis of this product can be see here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096310.html

As of now, I am making covers for the GT bumper only.

These can be attached in a few different ways.
1) GM part# 15999788 clip is available from your local GM dealer for around $9 each or cheaper online.
2) An extruded "U" nut can be substituted for the more expensive GM clip and can be had at any hardware store for around 50 cents each

Just reach up from underneath the bumper to access the back side and install the clips.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 02-11-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I have a Fiero Fiberglass 355i front bumper, thus I am awaiting the rear bumper covers.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested, but would like to know about installation. I see no holes in the covers. Is the buyer responsible for drilling the lenses to utilize clips? Secondly, any quantity discount? I'd be up for two sets. Lastly, how durable would you say these might be against rock/gravel chipping or shattering? Love the look, appreciate the big effort put in to make these, just want your opinion on durability for daily driver cars.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much? PM sent

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 01-25-2016).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Interested, but would like to know about installation. I see no holes in the covers. Is the buyer responsible for drilling the lenses to utilize clips? Secondly, any quantity discount? I'd be up for two sets. Lastly, how durable would you say these might be against rock/gravel chipping or shattering? Love the look, appreciate the big effort put in to make these, just want your opinion on durability for daily driver cars.

Holes are not needed in the covers. If you do not have an aftermerket chin spoiler on your car you should be able to reach up from underneath and install the clips to hold the covers in place. In which case you could get the GM #15999788 clips from your local GM dealership or buy the "U" clips from a hardware store.

The modified clips I sell require you to drill a hole in the bumper in the lamp opening to attach the clip to the bumper as shown in the picture above.

Shipping is figured into the price so an additional pairs would be cheaper if I could get them all into the same box.

The covers are made from 3mm Acrylite FF. While Lexan is more impact resistant than acrylic, acrylic is more scratch resistant than lexan, and does not turn yellow with UV exposure. Light scratches in acrylic can be removed with Novus #2 or #3 plastic polish. As for durability in a daily driver situation, I would think they would hold up just fine. Check out THIS link comparing the two.

Acrylite FF specs can be seen here.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

How much? PM sent

Ummmmm It's right in the first post

Originally posted by seajai:
$40 a pair shipped without any clips. $45 a pair shipped with the modified "U" clips.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

How much? PM sent

PM sent on shipping to Canada
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for the covers for my 88 coupe when they are finished.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I'm in for the covers for my 88 coupe when they are finished.

Me too!

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2016 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give me a few weeks, but I am in for a smoked set without clips. Not lip service...

Great looking product. A bit pricey on the face of it, but where else are you going to get these. I can appreciate the effort put forward, and want this as an addition to my GT.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

A bit pricey on the face of it

Food for thought:

If you add up just the dollars spent on materials and construction of the vacuum forming equipment, the first pair I sold should have went for at least $300 bucks or more. Now add in all of my R&D time and labor in making multiple prototypes to refine the shape and fit of the covers, then top it off with 2 hand machined and hand finished aluminum molds, the first pair of covers sold should have been at least $1300 bucks or more. As for the production run, figure in the cost of the acrylic sheet per pair, misc materials, the electricity to run the oven, and the cost to pack & ship each pair. Subtract all of that from the $40 bucks a pair I'm selling them for, and the remainder is my "hourly wage" to make these things.....which puts it somewhere around Wal-Mart greeter wages. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the challenge of getting these things made, and I like being able to provide a custom part to the Fiero community. I think $40 bucks a pair is plenty fair, and the little bit of profit I make on each pair of covers gets put right back in my own Fiero project (or spent on the wife).

PFF
System Bot
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

PM sent

Replied
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your wife reads your thread on here Chris, I know where the "profit" is going to go. Your car has no chance. LOL

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

Supracoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a set with the clips if you still have them. PM sent.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Supracoupe:

I'll take a set with the clips if you still have them. PM sent.

PM replied

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice product! Fair price! One can barely take the wife to lunch for $40 anymore.
Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for a pair of clear when you produce them ..........
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up for two pairs, pm sent
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Up for two pairs, pm sent

PM replied
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

seajai

1541 posts
Member since Feb 2012

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

I'm in for a pair of clear when you produce them ..........

Working on the clear ones now, need to work out a couple issues before I make them available for sale.

PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some clear ones ready to go now too.
Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Money sent for a clear set (w/clips)... thanks.

Tom
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine last night, finally got around to open up the package (EXTREMELY well packaged!)

Wow - SUPER high quality. VERY professional. I am VERY impressed.

Thanks for an AWESOME product!!!!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Food for thought:

Forgive me for not chiming in quicker...

I apologize if it seems that I came off as rude. I assure that was NOT the intention. You quoted only a fraction of what I wrote. The rest has context, and was to show the VALUE in this product. In no way was I degrading what you are selling.

Edit: I am still very much in for a set here shortly.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-31-2016).]

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my 2 pairs in today, love the quality and professionalism! Thanks for taking the time to fabricate these!!
Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my pair of clear covers Fabulous WORK
Hardpact

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made and sold these a couple years ago ... The gm clips work the best

Price seems right on I shipped to Canada for 5 dollars more so mine were running for 40 with two clips shipped USA 45 to Canada and had many colors too

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are the lenses attached to the clips? Is there a bent tab at the top of the lenses to slide into the clips that are fastened under the bumper opening as shown in the photo?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

How are the lenses attached to the clips? Is there a bent tab at the top of the lenses to slide into the clips that are fastened under the bumper opening as shown in the photo?

The cover is held in place by friction between the clip and bumper. The clips are a modified spring steel extruded "U" nut. They act like a regular spring clip would except you don't have to reach up from underneath the car to slide them in place. When I test fit the ones on my car, the clips seemed to hold the covers quite firmly and I had to reach in around the side of the cover with an angled pick tool and pull to release it from the clip. This type of clip was the solution I came up with to the access issue my fiberglass chin spoiler was causing. I suppose there could be other ways to do it too.

Here is a pic of the modified clip and screw (bottom) next to the standard "U" nut and flat head screw.

The screws are 1/4"-20 thread. I drilled a 1/4" hole on the underside of the lamp opening in the bumper.

Lens clipped in place.

There may a bit of fine tuning needed to get the clip to grip just right but they're close to start, it just depends on how your bumper has held up over the last 25+ years.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 02-05-2016).]

pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$ sent.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pictures of these in clear?

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Any pictures of these in clear?

In this pic the lens is just set in place without clips so there is a little gap on the top corner because of some warpage of my bumper.

davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take a set of tinted ones please. PM sent.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

I will take a set of tinted ones please. PM sent.

PM replied
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks fantastic. Will be a multi set buyer when you get the 87-88 Coup/Form lenses done!

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer? ...............
@NorthTexasFiero , friend us on FB: North Texas Fieros , www.northtexasfieroclub.org

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 02-05-2016).]

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cover is held in place by friction between the clip and bumper. The clips are a modified spring steel extruded "U" nut. They act like a regular spring clip would except you don't have to reach up from underneath the car to slide them in place. When I test fit the ones on my car, the clips seemed to hold the covers quite firmly and I had to reach in around the side of the cover with an angled pick tool and pull to release it from the clip. This type of clip was the solution I came up with to the access issue my fiberglass chin spoiler was causing. I suppose there could be other ways to do it too.

Here is a pic of the modified clip and screw (bottom) next to the standard "U" nut and flat head screw.

The screws are 1/4"-20 thread. I drilled a 1/4" hole on the underside of the lamp opening in the bumper.

Lens clipped in place.

There may a bit of fine tuning needed to get the clip to grip just right but they're close to start, it just depends on how your bumper has held up over the last 25+ years.

Thank you for addressing my question, now I understand they are held in place by friction at the top with C-spring clips. Is there any concern about them popping out from vibration when driving on a rough road or from a high pressure touchless car wash? As you noted there could be other ways to do it and it would be terrific if someone came up with a way to invisibly secure the lenses at the top and bottom or on both sides.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered mine without clips to evaluate an improved mounting system. Initial ideas are double-sided 3m tape, or the ever-reliable "right stuff" gasket maker that sets in 5 minutes. A razor blade will facilitate removal, if need be.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Thank you for addressing my question, now I understand they are held in place by friction at the top with C-spring clips. Is there any concern about them popping out from vibration when driving on a rough road or from a high pressure touchless car wash? As you noted there could be other ways to do it and it would be terrific if someone came up with a way to invisibly secure the lenses at the top and bottom or on both sides.

I would think they would stay in place. The dual clips prevent it from being levered out by pushing on 1 side or the other. I haven't driven my car with the covers in place to test it because it's in storage for the winter, but I did flex the bumper cover quite a bit with the covers mounted and they stayed in place. The addition of a thin strip of double sided tape in concert with the clips may give some added security. The issue with mounting is with the opening itself, it's smooth on 3 sides and the bottom is sloped so there really isn't any place for an attachment point, the lip along the top is really the only spot. I thought about molding a "plug" that would fit into the opening ( like a hearing aid in an ear canal) which the lens could mount to but figured the clips were sufficient.

I read somewhere that drilling a hole in the acrylic will cause it to stress crack so I didn't want to take a chance doing that.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really looking forward to what you design for the 87-88 coupe bumpers!!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors