Started on: 11-29-2015 08:36 PM
Replies: 17 (882 views)
Last post by: batousai666 on 12-09-2015 07:04 PM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread has been closed by OP

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks really nice. These are gonna start becoming huge investments as I can only see the price rising.

However, putting Ferrari logos on them ruins them. It is a Fiero and not a Ferrari. It seems like I only come across Mera's that have Ferrari badges on them, which is really unfortunate. I realize you could take them off, but putting them on there in the first place is unnecessary IMO.

If I had the money, I'd offer him 7K and take those badges off asap.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

However, putting Ferrari logos on them ruins them. It is a Fiero and not a Ferrari. It seems like I only come across Mera's that have Ferrari badges on them, which is really unfortunate. I realize you could take them off, but putting them on there in the first place is unnecessary IMO.

If you want to see a few Meras without Ferrari stickers/emblems on them, look in my basement. Some of them used to have this junk on them but are being reconverted to Mera configuration. The two completed ones have stock Mera badges and letters and the other ones will also have them when they are finished.

Nelson
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
absolutely detest intakes with the Ferrari sticker
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
High bid was $10,300. Anybody here buy it! Would have cost an additional $1300 to ship from Texas to my house.
Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

If you want to see a few Meras without Ferrari stickers/emblems on them, look in my basement. Some of them used to have this junk on them but are being reconverted to Mera configuration. The two completed ones have stock Mera badges and letters and the other ones will also have them when they are finished.

Nelson

I'm glad other people think restoring a rare car to orginal is best. I just started a restoring a Syclone and realized way too many are completely destroyed with modifications.

------------------
86 GT 3.8 SC/ 5 speed Getrag swap in progress

05 Mustang GT Supercharged tuned down from
560 to 530 RWHP (sold)

92 Stealth twin turbo JDM engine swap
Upgrades in the works...turbos, injectors
and computer. (sold)

91 GMC Syclone 20k original miles

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not trying to be an ass, but with or without stickers, a Mera is obviously a knock-off Ferrari. GM didn't "accidentally" retrofit these cars to look like a 308. The only reason they did not put on Ferrari stickers/badges on when they were ordered is because GM thought it would prevent them from getting sued. Didn't they get sued anyway? I can't recall..

It is a pretty good cosmetic knock off of a Ferrari, so if someone puts some Ferrari stickers on it, it is only to finalize the illusion- and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. There are one or two Meras in my general area that I see occasionally and they have Ferrari badges on them. They do look pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 12-05-2015).]

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I am not trying to be an ass, but with or without stickers, a Mera is obviously a knock-off Ferrari. GM didn't "accidentally" retrofit these cars to look like a 308. The only reason they did not put on Ferrari stickers/badges on when they were ordered is because GM thought it would prevent them from getting sued. Didn't they get sued anyway? I can't recall..

Well GM didn't make the Mera. Corporate Concepts did, and they did get sued for it. But the difference between a Mera and the 308 is the rarity.

Believe it or not, only 247 Mera's were made. The Ferrari on the other hand had over 6,000 made between the GTB and the GTS.

I do get your point, but this isn't a kit car and it shouldn't get the treated like one. This is one of the rarest American made cars, and I see it as a holy grail, like most people would see an NSX.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do get your point, but this isn't a kit car and it shouldn't get the treated like one. This is one of the rarest American made cars, and I see it as a holy grail, like most people would see an NSX.

umm.. sorry, but I have to disagree. It is an overweight Fiero with aftermarket fiberglass bling. I like the Mera- don't get me wrong, but come on.. Holy Grail of American made cars? Shelby GT500. Grand National GNX. 89 Turbo T/A. Yenko Camaro... 455 SD Trans Am. Dodge Hellcat. Super Bee.... Unique cars with amazing performance, styling, and no need to "look" like another marque in order to stand out.

The NSX is a great example of unique engineering, design, and performance. Honda didn't just make some fiberglass molds of a Lotus and slap it on a Civic..

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 12-05-2015).]

I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well GM didn't make the Mera. Corporate Concepts did, and they did get sued for it. But the difference between a Mera and the 308 is the rarity.

Believe it or not, only 247 Mera's were made. The Ferrari on the other hand had over 6,000 made between the GTB and the GTS.

Say what you will, but I agree with Cam. Any way you look at it, Corporate Concepts made the Mera as a Ferrari 308 knock-off, or kit car -- plain and simple. Meras are somewhat cheap imitations of Ferrari 308s so to look down your nose at kit cars is just ridiculous and reeks of elitism.

That is some real dumb sh*t....hating cars that are just like yours because you think you have cachet that other kit cars don't....lol.....Do you seriously think the kit car hating snobs and purists that actually own Ferraris and Lambos and think their sh*t don't stink are going to kiss your Mera loving butt? Don't bet on it!

Now, I don't particularly see any good in putting umpteen fake Ferrari logos on a fake Ferrari, but hey, if it's not my car, it's not really my concern.
All kit car builders/owners enjoy their cars just as much as any gear head and considering that there are so many kit cars of various models out there which many people have put their blood sweat and tears into, I see no good reason why some here feel the need to deride the genre which they are essentially a part of.......Ok, maybe it's safe to say that no Mera owners built their car, but still, some built them up with better motors, interiors etc.......So it makes no sense to hate others!

Many kit car 308/328 replicas were done better than the Meras sold by Corporate Concepts anyhow, because the finer details like smoothed over headlight covers, front bumpers with integrated park-lights and turn signals, mesh grills on the exhaust shroud ports, lowered sport spring suspensions and superior hp motors than the Chevy 2.8 V6 were used and make those replicas a better facsimile of 308s than Meras.

Plus, the Mera may look like a well known Italian exotic automobile, but it is still just a rebodied Fiero and will never be in the same class as an NSX and that's ok by me.

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 12-05-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

umm.. sorry, but I have to disagree. It is an overweight Fiero with aftermarket fiberglass bling. I like the Mera- don't get me wrong, but come on.. Holy Grail of American made cars? Shelby GT500. Grand National GNX. 89 Turbo T/A. Yenko Camaro... 455 SD Trans Am. Dodge Hellcat. Super Bee.... Unique cars with amazing performance, styling, and no need to "look" like another marque in order to stand out.

The NSX is a great example of unique engineering, design, and performance. Honda didn't just make some fiberglass molds of a Lotus and slap it on a Civic..

You can disagree. But notice how I said "I see it as a holy grail". I never said that my opinion is based on everyone else's. I also think the other cars you mentioned are great, and I would hate to see someone take one and destroy it by marking it with badges that don't belong, or by altering the body. If they do, that is up to them. But I'll end up voicing my opinion because well... I can.

Oh and "I FAR I" you need to chill. Going ballistic because I see it in a different way doesn't mean you need to write an essay on why you are 'correct'. I enjoy Neils current thread on his take on a Lamborghini, and it's because care and attention to detail are involved. I don't hate kit cars, and no one should get that impression with my posts.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 12-05-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh brother!

This reminds me of the guy that got all bent out of shape at the 1999 POCI Convention when I told him that the T-Tops on his '88 GT were not factory.

I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can disagree. But notice how I said "I see it as a holy grail". I never said that my opinion is based on everyone else's. I also think the other cars you mentioned are great, and I would hate to see someone take one and destroy it by marking it with badges that don't belong, or by altering the body. If they do, that is up to them. But I'll end up voicing my opinion because well... I can.

Oh and "I FAR I" you need to chill. Going ballistic because I see it in a different way doesn't mean you need to write an essay on why you are 'correct'. I enjoy Neils current thread on his take on a Lamborghini, and it's because care and attention to detail are involved. I don't hate kit cars, and no one should get that impression with my posts.

Yeah, *I* 'need to chill' -- Riiiiiight.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is an overweight Fiero with aftermarket fiberglass bling. I like the Mera- don't get me wrong, but come on.. Holy Grail of American made cars? Grand National GNX.

The 1987 and 1988 Pontiac Mera's were converted in a factory and only installed on new Fiero's that were delivered directly from the Fiero assembly plant (complete ready to drive Fiero's) to Corporate Concepts. The finished Mera's then went back on a tractor trailer automotive car hauler and were delivered to various Pontiac Dealers to be sold as new zero miles cars. Some went to Canada and more than a few went overseas to places like Japan. They only converted new Fiero's that came right off the assembly line. You could only buy them as a new car at a Pontiac Dealer. The Buick GNX is almost the same thing. They delivered brand new off the assembly line 87 GN's (ready to drive) and MSC/McLaren converted them in their factory to become the GNX. They then went on to Buick dealers to be sold as new cars. GM was more involved with the GNX than the Mera but the whole process etc was similar. The Pontiac Mera is a real car with real automotive history. I'm not sure if any other Fiero kit cars/ rebodied Fiero's can make that same claim. Zimmer?

Rodney Dickman
1988 Mera #8110
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

......... I'm not sure if any other Fiero kit cars/ rebodied Fiero's can make that same claim. Zimmer?

Rodney Dickman
1988 Mera #8110

Lets not insult this Mera thread by even mentioning one of those hunks of pimp junk
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Lets not insult this Mera thread by even mentioning one of those hunks of pimp junk

Some of those do money only a 100 mile Fiero wish it could do.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HA!!! you are funny......its in the eyes of the beholder.
I passed the sales info to a Mr Ken Lingenfelter for the Mera prototype when it was for sale recently.
He checked it out and passed cuz it was not "show quality". now if you don't know Ken Lingenfelter or his awesome collection. look it up.
say what you wanna say.......it is cool how it became a conversation piece....and a conversation is what we have sooo happy to have found one then stuffed some power for the real fun.

heres His super low mile 1985 GT.....floored me when he said he had one the first time we met. cool dude.

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 12-09-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock