Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Pearl Orange Intercooled Automatic 3800SCII 87 GT for sale - repair needed

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pearl Orange Intercooled Automatic 3800SCII 87 GT for sale - repair needed by V8Dreamer
Started on: 10-25-2015 01:32 PM
Replies: 38 (2210 views)
Last post by: V8Dreamer on 12-19-2015 09:16 PM
V8Dreamer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$5,000 firm.

Pictures: http://allentown.craigslist.../cto/5357886857.html

I'm considering selling my 87 GT - 3800SCII swap done about 13 years ago by FieroAddiction because I had a stroke about a year and a half ago and I'm not as capable as I once was. Otherwise I'd fix and keep it. This is an awesome car at a discount for someone that's capable.

The bad:

I recently slid off the road and while there is no body damage, the front crossmember was damaged and possibly other areas of the chassis due to a rock maybe the size of a basketball in the field. Car still runs and drives but the alignment is bad.
Front passenger wheel hit a rock almost dead center in the wheel and cracked the wheel. It holds air for about 15 minutes, enough to move the car around. Local wheel repair shop said the wheel can be repaired for $250 over the phone.
AC was never hooked up, but all components are in place. Just need lines made from the compressor to chassis.
Interior has typical wear around center console, but seats are both good.

The good:

I have over $15k into this car, not including the original cost of the car
Not leaking any fluids, runs and drives although the tire will not hold air for very long and the alignment is bad. Should probably be trailered
Starts/runs/drives every time like a factory car. If it was not damaged recently I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country.
No trouble lights on in the dash, speedometer & tachometer work as they should. Everything works as it should except for the AC as mentioned above.
This car is a serious head-turner. Everywhere I went people always took notice and I've been asked if people could take pictures of it at gas stations, grocery stores, etc.
It was showed at the 25th Anniversary show in Pontiac, MI & a few years at the Fiero show in Carlisle, PA.
3-stage pearl orange paint
Cowl scoop on hood
Wingless
Gray GT interior
It's an extremely clean swap done by FieroAddiction (Rockcrawl)
3800SCII engine - pulled from a 2000 Grand Prix GTP at 800 miles
350 estimated crank HP
Runs low 13s at the track - would need to be retuned to run faster
30k miles on the swap and the engine had 800 miles on it when it went into the Fiero, 110k miles on the Fiero chassis/body
4T60-E HD transmission
Custom-tuned ECU
ZZPerformance 2" intercooler
Intake machining done by ZZPerformance
ZZPerformance fuel rails
Billet aluminum intercooler coolant tank
ZZPerformance modular 3.25" supercharger pulley
Ford Cobra SVT Intercooler heat-exchanger mounted up front
Full stainless exhaust with Catalytic converter and Dynomax muffler
FieroAddiction pre-88 to 88 big brake conversion using 88 calipers and Corvette rotors
Suspension Techniques lowering springs
Poly cradle bushings
Poly suspension bushings
Replaced shocks/struts with KYBs
MAS MGR 17"x7.5" wheels
Inline tubes stainless steel parking brake cables
Headlights rebuilt with Rodney Dickman kits last winter
Sunfire tach with boost gauge (looks factory)
No rips or tears in seats
Clifford 2-way alarm with remote lock/unlock/start

Located in Emmaus, PA just South of Allentown, PA.

[This message has been edited by V8Dreamer (edited 12-12-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stewart_1322

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stewart_1322Send a Private Message to stewart_1322Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! I've seen people charge that much just to swap in the motor. GLWS
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great assortment of quality aftermarket parts and a nice well done engine. You probably put tons of money in this car but unfortunately a bent front cross member signals a bent frame. A bent frame usually means that the car has been totaled. Further inspection may reveal otherwise but you may actually be selling a swap powertrain with a parts car. The package obviously has value, was well built, and would make a great project for someone to build upon a sound frame. I guess that final price will be determined by demand.
Good luck selling it and very sorry to hear that your accident and heath has caused your departure from the hobby.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,

If I had the time and ability, I'd love to buy an 88 coupe for < $1k and swap everything, including the body to the more desirable 88. For someone that knows their way around Fieros, or cars in general, this wouldn't be very difficult, just time consuming. I, unfortunately, don't have that kind of time at this point so I'll let the buyer decide whether to fix the existing chassis and alignment and have a very cool, fast cheap car or whether to go all out on an 88 chassis with coilovers, etc. It really depends on whether the buyer's goal is to have a pristine Fiero or a fast car that turns heads as cheap as possible. As I'm sure you're aware, nothing turns heads like one of these with nice paint & wheels (the exhaust tone doesn't hurt either :-) ).

Thanks for looking,
Ryan
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lowered asking price to $6k.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Judging by this photo....

If (and it is a big IF) there is any frame work necessary, it would be minimal and at a minimal cost. Probably $300.00 or less.

This car appears to be a well done car that I think is well worth the money and the repairs won't break the bank.
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Still available.
InfernoFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoFoxSend a Private Message to InfernoFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone wants a complete subframe for the front of this, I am parting mine out from my '88 Formula 3800SC swap thread that's up here. I could sell it complete with new shocks, lower ball joints, calipers and all or just the subframe for even less. Asking $350 (complete) plus shipping. You got a beautiful car here, bud. I hope it goes to a good home.

[This message has been edited by InfernoFox (edited 11-13-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8Dreamer:

Dennis,

If I had the time and ability, I'd love to buy an 88 coupe for < $1k and swap everything, including the body to the more desirable 88. For someone that knows their way around Fieros, or cars in general, this wouldn't be very difficult, just time consuming. I, unfortunately, don't have that kind of time at this point so I'll let the buyer decide whether to fix the existing chassis and alignment and have a very cool, fast cheap car or whether to go all out on an 88 chassis with coilovers, etc. It really depends on whether the buyer's goal is to have a pristine Fiero or a fast car that turns heads as cheap as possible. As I'm sure you're aware, nothing turns heads like one of these with nice paint & wheels (the exhaust tone doesn't hurt either :-) ).

Thanks for looking,
Ryan

I am friends with a guy by the name of Wayne Renninger. He is located in Allentown not far from you . He has a shop, tons of Fiero parts and does repair work. I would bring the car to Wayne for an evaluation and if the damage is confined to the front cross member only he has the tools the know how to install a good used replacement part and he is honest and fair on price. If you can get the car fixed you may be in a better position to drive it or even keep it and have more fun with it. I know full well what goes into building a Fiero like this and fixing it will restore the full value.
Call Wayne and ask him what he would charge to install a new front cross member. 1-610-797-0521 or war51@rcn.com Might be a good solution and you have little to lose. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Havemurci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HavemurciSend a Private Message to HavemurciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in Philly and I have a complete '88' coupe 80k miles that is going to salvage for 200. I hope you or a buyer can take advantage before it goes.
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Changed price to $5,000. Firm.
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:
If (and it is a big IF) there is any frame work necessary, it would be minimal and at a minimal cost. Probably $300.00 or less.

I don't know. I would have thought the rack would be cracked and be leaking fluid, so maybe it isn't that bad... And I just pulled an 87 front crossmember...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

I don't know. I would have thought the rack would be cracked and be leaking fluid, so maybe it isn't that bad... And I just pulled an 87 front crossmember...

Check PM please.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

akademikjeanius

406 posts
Member since Feb 2011

$5,000 firm.

Pictures: http://allentown.craigslist.../cto/5284739118.html

I'm considering selling my 87 GT - 3800SCII swap done about 13 years ago by FieroAddiction because I had a stroke about a year and a half ago and I'm not as capable as I once was. Otherwise I'd fix and keep it. This is an awesome car at a discount for someone that's capable......

Check PM please
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM replied to.

There is some interest but no one has showed up with the cash yet so it's still for sale.
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you willing to work with an automotive escrow company?
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anything about that, but I'm not going to rule it out. Tell me more.
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an example here is text I copied from one website:

The benefits of Vehicle Escrow
Both Buyers and Sellers benefit from using Escrow.com as a neutral third party to monitor and transact the exchange of payment and vehicle.
Peace of mind for vehicle Sellers
The Buyer sends the agreed upon payment to Escrow.com. After verifying funds, we alert the Seller to send the vehicle to the Buyer. Protected from fraudulent checks and money order scams, the Seller has peace of mind knowing funds are behind the Escrow.com shield.
Confidence for vehicle Buyers
We do not release the money to the Seller until the vehicle has been received and accepted by the Buyer. This provides online car buyers the opportunity to inspect the vehicle before sellers are paid.
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My only concern would be that this is an "as-is" sale of a damaged vehicle. The whole inspection thing could be touchy unless it's minimal and very black and white. It still runs and drives, but is clearly damaged.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad you are too far away from me for an up close inspection. If the space frame is not tweeked, it appears to be an easy fix. If it is it really wouldn't cost all that much to fix but it would be more labor intensive.

If you were closer that car would probably be in my shop right now because if I saw it I'm sure I'd own it.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 11-20-2015).]

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know V8Dreamer, but I feel for him. My mom had a stroke and I understand where he is coming from.

That said, I have a full front drop out on CL and if someone buys his car, I will give you my 87 front end. http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/5317433774.html

Like all things, there are a few rules.
1. You pick it up. I don't have a truck or way to take it somewhere to ship it. I just don't have the strength to lift it anymore after my neck surgery.
2. I'm not going to strip it down, it comes complete. I don't have a lot of time to work on stuff so the time I have is going towards my last 3800sc swap.
3. If some buys it on CL, then it's sold.

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 11-20-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a sharp car... Believe I have seen that one at Carlisle before...
Like others have stated,looks like front cradle could be dropped out,repair/replace those crushed coolant/a.c. tubes and you got yourself a winner.

Kudos to 'MulletproofMonk' for stepping up and offering the suspension.
That's what makes this place so awesome..

I'm with 'thunderstruckGT' here.. If it was closer to me, I'd be too Damn tempted!

GLWS!
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than I looked the car over and he agreed that the best option is probably to buy a non-running Fiero that's nice and straight and swap everything (drivetrain, body, seats, instrument cluster, etc.) over to the other car. It's a time-consuming process but not overly complicated and it could save a lot of headaches. It really depends on your goals I guess. If you're just looking for a cool, fast cheap car I'm sure this one can be straightened or damaged pieces replaced. If I were to keep it long-term that's the route I'd go. An 87 auto coupe would be the simplest swap but an 88 coupe would be tempting too since you'd get the suspension upgrades. I didn't look very hard but I saw a seemingly clean non-running 88 coupe about an hour away for $1k so I'd imagine one could be had for $1k or less.

Things he pointed out:

The hood is maybe 1/2" raised at latch/rear. The hood still latches, just doesn't seat at the same height as the fenders in the rear I'm not sure if this is and adjustment issue, since the impact could have jarred the front mounts loose where they're slotted, or an indication of frame damage.

The passenger door is sticky. It's always been sticky but the hinges seem to be in decent shape and it seems worse now than I recall prior to the damage.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone is equally equally proficient at mechanical and bodywork skills, this car offers great potential to build something really good . Its got great quality in its engine and the body parts are nice. Its just a matter of finding the right buyer. Have you tried an ad on Craigs list?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than I looked the car over and he agreed that the best option is probably to buy a non-running Fiero that's nice and straight and swap everything (drivetrain, body, seats, instrument cluster, etc.) over to the other car. It's a time-consuming process but not overly complicated and it could save a lot of headaches. It really depends on your goals I guess. If you're just looking for a cool, fast cheap car I'm sure this one can be straightened or damaged pieces replaced. If I were to keep it long-term that's the route I'd go. An 87 auto coupe would be the simplest swap but an 88 coupe would be tempting too since you'd get the suspension upgrades. I didn't look very hard but I saw a seemingly clean non-running 88 coupe about an hour away for $1k so I'd imagine one could be had for $1k or less.

Things he pointed out:

The hood is maybe 1/2" raised at latch/rear. The hood still latches, just doesn't seat at the same height as the fenders in the rear I'm not sure if this is and adjustment issue, since the impact could have jarred the front mounts loose where they're slotted, or an indication of frame damage.

The passenger door is sticky. It's always been sticky but the hinges seem to be in decent shape and it seems worse now than I recall prior to the damage.

Swapping everything over to another vehicle would be a foolish move and one only a novice would do. A few hours on a frame rack would cure any and all alignment issues.

On many of todays vehicles a 15 to 20 mph hit or good pothole creates even the slightest of structural damage. Does anyone think a newer car gets scrapped once its involved in a fender bender or major impact?

This car is one of the simplest fixes once a replacement crossmember is obtained.

My personal opinion.....

I think someone put the fear of God into the OP that the car will never be right again. I see this happen all the time, usually by people that really don't know much about collision repair and those people are 9 times out of 10, wrong.

As I mentioned, this is an easy repair.

I think the OP is making a big mistake here and one that down the road, he will regret. If he really enjoyed the car that much he'd get a few estimates from professional collision shops with capable frame technicians and get the car repaired.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 11-23-2015).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Swapping everything over to another vehicle would be a foolish move and one only a novice would do. A few hours on a frame rack would cure any and all alignment issues.

On many of todays vehicles a 15 to 20 mph hit or good pothole creates even the slightest of structural damage. Does anyone think a newer car gets scrapped once its involved in a fender bender or major impact?

This car is one of the simplest fixes once a replacement crossmember is obtained.

My personal opinion.....

I think someone put the fear of God into the OP that the car will never be right again. I see this happen all the time, usually by people that really don't know much about collision repair and those people are 9 times out of 10, wrong.

As I mentioned, this is an easy repair.

I think the OP is making a big mistake here and one that down the road, he will regret. If he really enjoyed the car that much he'd get a few estimates from professional collision shops with capable frame technicians and get the car repaired.

....now this bout to get good...
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

....now this bout to get good...

If you're taking my post as negative I can assure you its not.

It sounds to me like the OP has put a lot of time, money and passion into his car and although right now he's hurting due to the loss, he still loves the car.

I think rather than sell it and regret selling it he should take a step back, think about it, have some "experts" look at it, get estimates and get it fixed.

The OP can enjoy his pride & joy once again.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have inspected this car and discussed all of the repair options with the owner. Someone could certainly just replace the front crossmember, wheel, a few other parts and have a great car to drive, even without doing any frame work. That's a very realistic possibility, but it's not what he wants. The chassis is slightly bent, it could be pulled/straightened and probably even be good enough that most people wouldn't be able to tell from the top, but IMO it will be difficult to get all the panel gaps perfect, especially with the non-existent adjustability of some of the body panels on a Fiero. My suggestion to him to swap the drivetrain and body to another chassis was based on having known him for 20 years and knowing what he wants in a car, and it's what I would do if I owned the car. That's what it will take to make the car perfect, and it comes with the added bonus of having an '88 under that beautiful paint. Or for $5000 plus a couple hundred in parts and easy labor you could have a nice car that lots of people would be happy to own. Either way, the car is a steal at this price.

Swapping everything over to another vehicle would be a foolish move and one only a novice would do.

Call me a novice and a fool. I have actually done it.

My personal opinion.....

My wife and I both drive vehicles that were previously "totalled". I fixed both of them and several others before, including Fieros. What makes a Fiero different than most modern cars is the ability to swap the chassis without doing any paint work. If you really want to make the car "right", swapping the chassis is better than straightening a twisted one. It's lots more work and will almost certainly cost more, but the end result is better. I have nothing against straightening frames, but where there's a better option I'll take it. But I'm just a foolish novice, what do I know.

Jon aka rockcrawl aka FieroAddiction

[This message has been edited by rockcrawl (edited 11-23-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

I have inspected this car and discussed all of the repair options with the owner. Someone could certainly just replace the front crossmember, wheel, a few other parts and have a great car to drive, even without doing any frame work. That's a very realistic possibility, but it's not what he wants. The chassis is slightly bent, it could be pulled/straightened and probably even be good enough that most people wouldn't be able to tell from the top, but IMO it will be difficult to get all the panel gaps perfect, especially with the non-existent adjustability of some of the body panels on a Fiero. My suggestion to him to swap the drivetrain and body to another chassis was based on having known him for 20 years and knowing what he wants in a car, and it's what I would do if I owned the car. That's what it will take to make the car perfect, and it comes with the added bonus of having an '88 under that beautiful paint. Or for $5000 plus a couple hundred in parts and easy labor you could have a nice car that lots of people would be happy to own. Either way, the car is a steal at this price.
My wife and I both drive vehicles that were previously "totalled". I fixed both of them and several others before, including Fieros. What makes a Fiero different than most modern cars is the ability to swap the chassis without doing any paint work. If you really want to make the car "right", swapping the chassis is better than straightening a twisted one. It's lots more work and will almost certainly cost more, but the end result is better. I have nothing against straightening frames, but where there's a better option I'll take it. But I'm just a foolish novice, what do I know.

Good to see you back posting again Jon. Your knowledge and experiences with the Fiero helped alot of people over the years. I would like to respectfully disagree with you on one point. When steel is bent and/or twisted and straightened it will become work hardened and brittle. So if you straighten a frame its not the same as the way it was before. You have weakened it. Whether or not that loss of structural strength is enough to cause problems I cannot say. This car has many many good things about it but personally I would rebuild it on a sound frame/chassis. On a side note Fieros at Carlisle and MAFOA are going strong since the new leadership took over. We miss seeing your well done creations there.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a deposit this morning on the car. I'm considering it sold.
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sale fell through. Car is still for sale. $5k firm. Since a few people asked, I'm serious about the firm part. I don't have to sell the car so I'm not willing to go any lower at this time. I'd like to sell it to a new owner who will appreciate it if possible but if I can't sell it I might just keep it and fix it.

Thanks for looking.
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Least you get to keep the deposit money! Sweet!
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the upside...I would have rather it found a good home though.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

looks like it was a nice car, sadly, even tho you are not a novice, you basicly saved me from a long drive..
As your post tells me, it's just a ready to go, 3800 cradle drop out to dump into another car..
for the guy that wants a sharp car that has a solid roller to dump it all into.. it's an option..
Sounds like it was a tad more than an easy slide off the road, if the space frame is tweaked that bad..
shame cause that's about what I'd put together and haven't because mine is an indy..
but for me, to get another as a for chassis swap it all then paint it, find a matching wheel,
bummer..
hope he has good luck selling it, I'm sure it work for someone on here..
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sold.

somebodys got a deal
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the sale. Did it get sold to somebody on here? Just want to know if I should be expecting someone to come get my front crossmember before I lower the price...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sold.

For someone wanting to have an intercooled 3800SC Fiero and willing to do the transfer of all body parts and engine , at $4000, its a decent buy. Hope to see the rebirth of that car again at Carlisle in 2016.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe the buyer was a forum member. He found it on Craigslist locally.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock