WTB Brake Caliper SLIDERS for 1988 by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 10-17-2015 04:29 PM
Replies: 3 (334 views)
Last post by: Rsvl-Rider on 10-19-2015 01:25 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for the sliders only for the 1988 front brake calipers. I'm told they are the same for the rear as well so that would be fine too. Sliders from all other years are incompatible. Mine are pitted and nicked up causing that dreaded creaking sound when braking. I cleaned them up the best I could and re-lubed them. Had some improvement but not enough. Don't need the whole caliper/piston assembly - just the sliders. They are not available from any of our usual suppliers and I don't want to pay for fabrication. Just looking for good condition sliders. Thanks.

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bkw88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a set of reman calipers fairly cheap. From local parts stores. I would also put a good quality set of pads and rotors on car at same time. Wagner Perfect stop pads. The framing sound is most likely not from your calipers, its actually from the pads/rotors. The rotors will get small hotspots in them over time and cause this noise. That's where I would start with the issue
Hope this helps
Brian
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bkw88:

The framing sound is most likely not from your calipers, its actually from the pads/rotors.

I dunno about that. I'm familiar with the "creaking" sound the OP has described, and yes, it's often produced because one or more calipers are no longer able to glide on their sliders smoothly. This results in the caliper sitting improperly in relation to the rotor... and a creaking sound is then often produced when the brakes are applied. I fixed the creaking in my Formula by cleaning and re-lubing my sliders which were fortunately still in good shape.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no doubt that it's the sliders. I pulled them out, cleaned and lubed them and the problem was solved for a short time. They are just too far gone for a long term fix. Just too many big nicks and pits.

Not wanting to buy new calipers just to get the sliders - at this time. Other things to spend money on right now. Just hoping someone has a couple of spare sets laying around. I need 4 but would be happy with whatever you might have.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock