Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  12in wilwood Brake set front and rear (Old set)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
12in wilwood Brake set front and rear (Old set) by iluvsd619
Started on: 07-09-2015 06:55 PM
Replies: 17 (974 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 07-16-2015 05:16 PM
iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an old school 12in fiero Wilwood set for sale. Pictured are the rear set. The front set is still on the car, as well as the master cylinder. It will be removed later on this month. If you are interested let me know. Asking 450.00 shipped. I have paypal. Thank you.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ps fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ps fieroSend a Private Message to Ps fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know if this will fit an 1988, and do you have pictures for the front?
iluvsd619

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ps fiero:

Do you know if this will fit an 1988, and do you have pictures for the front?

I don't know if they fit an 88. The fronts are still on the car. So no picture yet. The picture with the wheel is the front.

Ps fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ps fieroSend a Private Message to Ps fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year is the car that they're on
iluvsd619

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ps fiero:

What year is the car that they're on

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They won't fit an 88. Suspension and brakes were revised for the 88's.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What front suspension is on your car? (Held slalom?)
The spindles look like the old Bell aluminum drop spindles that used bolt-in bearing assemblies like the 88's (I think they were on the actual 84 pace cars - saw them in an old Car Craft magazine article?)
The front brakes might be designed for those spindles?
iluvsd619

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL68:

What front suspension is on your car? (Held slalom?)
The spindles look like the old Bell aluminum drop spindles that used bolt-in bearing assemblies like the 88's (I think they were on the actual 84 pace cars - saw them in an old Car Craft magazine article?)
The front brakes might be designed for those spindles?

I bought the car from someone who already had them installed. It has aftermarket suspension. Not sure from who. They were installed sometime in the early 2000's. Back then in it was Held and RCC.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the question remains- do we know if these will work on stock suspension parts?
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To make these work with stock 84-87 Fiero's you would need to order the spindles from arraut motors for $550. So, figure $1000 bucks and you have a used brake system that costs close to $3900 new. Not a bad deal really...

http://www.arrautmotorsports.com/parts/brakes

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 07-11-2015).]

iluvsd619

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
Grinner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrinnerClick Here to visit Grinner's HomePageSend a Private Message to GrinnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the question is, is this the price for the whole setup or just the rear?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

To make these work with stock 84-87 Fiero's you would need to order the spindles from arraut motors for $550. So, figure $1000 bucks and you have a used brake system that costs close to $3900 new. Not a bad deal really...

http://www.arrautmotorsports.com/parts/brakes

Having experience with these fabricated knuckles, I cannot recommend them to anyone for purchase. My experience with three sets has not been good.

Caliper adapter brackets could be tabbed to use this brake setup with stock knuckles.

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Having experience with these fabricated knuckles, I cannot recommend them to anyone for purchase. My experience with three sets has not been good.

Caliper adapter brackets could be tabbed to use this brake setup with stock knuckles.

Could you be more specific on your experience. I have the Wilwood kit from arraut and the only issue I have had with mine is that it did not come with the shim kits it should have (they were pretty inexpensive to get from Summit, but for what they charge for this kit $15 shims should be included IMHO).
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Calipers not parallel to the rotor causing binding of the brakes.
Returned the spindles, the replacement spindles needed modification to accept the calipers to prevent binding. (These were for stock pre-88 brakes)
A set with the Wilwood brakes needed the ball joint tapers re-reamed, as the tapers were inconsistent and did not allow full seating on the ball joint stud.
On the rear Wilwood adapters, the ears for the spot caliper e-brake broke off.
iluvsd619

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sold
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Calipers not parallel to the rotor causing binding of the brakes.
Returned the spindles, the replacement spindles needed modification to accept the calipers to prevent binding. (These were for stock pre-88 brakes)
A set with the Wilwood brakes needed the ball joint tapers re-reamed, as the tapers were inconsistent and did not allow full seating on the ball joint stud.
On the rear Wilwood adapters, the ears for the spot caliper e-brake broke off.

So you didn't get the shim kit required to align the calipers with the rotors either. From experience, I know that is frustrating...

Congrats on the sale, not trying to hijack your thread

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 07-16-2015).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wilwood kit had washers to center the calipers over the rotors. They were not needed.

The front knuckles on the stock brake version were incorrectly built. The caliper was held at an angle to the mounting plate by a steel weldment on the knuckle that should have been clearanced.
The replacement set had the calipers at different distances from the axle centerline by about 3/8".

The quality of the parts including the coating is inconsistent, and there appears to be little in the way of quality control.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock