Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered by Irrationable
Started on: 05-21-2015 12:46 AM
Replies: 272 (12382 views)
Last post by: SebFGT on 08-24-2022 09:23 PM
fiero85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero85Send a Private Message to fiero85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would be interested in 4 Spoke one, Beechwood in color
IP: Logged
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few pictures of some recent projects. First up is a GT wheel and auto shift knob recovered in Mr Mikes light grey leather with black stitching. This leather is very similar in color to my Indy leather, but is heavier in weight with a slightly smoother texture.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
GT wheel and automatic shift knob recovered in my Indy leather using my new thread that I have been using for my other wheels. This new thread is heavier than what I had previously been using, and is closer to what was originally used by GM.

Bluejacket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluejacketClick Here to visit Bluejacket's HomePageSend a Private Message to BluejacketEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would you be able to re-cover this steering wheel?

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero85:

Would be interested in 4 Spoke one, Beechwood in color

I'm not currently recovering the 4 spoke wheels, although it is something I'm interested in getting into. I have a spare 4 spoke wheel to tinker with and use for a template, but with school and my current customer's wheels, I simply don't have the time to tinker with them. Come May, I'll have the time to sit down and figure out the best way to go about recovering these wheels.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Bluejacket:

would you be able to re-cover this steering wheel?

Unfortunately not. With the GT and Indy wheels, I already have a template created for cutting out my leather for a perfect fit, and have had over 30 wheels worth of trial and error to get my technique right. It is for this reason that I'm able to recover my customer's wheels so quickly, and for such a low price. While I could probably recover other styles of wheels, it would require quite a bit more time to get right, which isn't practical with my already busy schedule.
Bluejacket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluejacketClick Here to visit Bluejacket's HomePageSend a Private Message to BluejacketEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand and respect your reasons. Perhaps I'll just have to search for a good three spoke core to send to you :-)
woodrow50

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodrow50Send a Private Message to woodrow50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex, got my wheel back today and it is superb! The leather has a nice luxurious feel and the red stitching provides a smart sporty look. The workmanship is superior and presents as a high level factory product. It will be a nice upgrade for my interior. Worth every penny!
Many thanks Alex!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2016 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bluejacket:

I understand and respect your reasons. Perhaps I'll just have to search for a good three spoke core to send to you :-)

If you do decide to track one down, I suggest starting here on the forum or your local pull-a-part yard. The listings on ebay are outrageous (easily $75 for a rusty wheel with twisted leather). The GT leather three spoke wheel with the thumb notches was used on the Fiero, as well as some firebirds and Grand Ams.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PSA: I currently have enough beechwood leather for 3 more wheels and perhaps 2-3 shift knobs. I've been looking online for more leather of a matching color, but have yet to find anything so far. I have enough Indy leather for perhaps 6 more wheels, and still have enough black leather to keep doing wheels indefinitely.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just received my wheel from Alex:

Midnight #9 leather from Mr Mike with gunmetal stitching.
Alex also refurbished the hub and spokes for me as well.
Really nice work. Just have to install it now!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

I've got some pictures of a few new wheels to post in the coming days (I just need to find the time to upload them all!)

Also... I may have two fairly major announcements coming in the next week. I'll keep you all updated once the details are finalized.

-Alex
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just want to post up again; those on the fence, DO NOT HESITATE to have Alex do your wheel, his work is top notch!!! Both wheels I've had done by him are holding up perfectly; it's been about a year now and they still look as good as new!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

calnorb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calnorbSend a Private Message to calnorbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I would like to get my 86 GT wheel recovered with black leather including the extra $20 service for the spokes. New to the forum - how does it work to order/ pay?
Thank you
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by calnorb:

Hi, I would like to get my 86 GT wheel recovered with black leather including the extra $20 service for the spokes. New to the forum - how does it work to order/ pay?
Thank you

Hey there. You've got a private message
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always like to post pictures anytime I complete a wheel in a new/different style or color combination. This GT wheel was done custom in Mr. Mikes midnight leather with gunmetal grey stitching.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 03-27-2016).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
In addition to posting pictures of my finished work, I wanted to upload these pictures so that my customers could see a before and after comparison. In these pictures you can see how poorly of a condition this Indy wheel was in when I received it from a customer. The leather was completely shot and appeared to have been chewed on by either a rat or mouse, the plastic trim was faded, and the spokes and hub were completely covered in rust.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
And here is what the wheel looked like once it was finished. In addition to new leather, the spokes and hub got an acid bath, while the trim and spokes were repainted with a textured finish that matches OEM

For those of you who may be interested, I have a SMALL supply of the red leather used on this steering wheel. Due to quality issues, Mr. Mikes no longer carries red leather, and it is not a popular enough option for me to order an entire hide of it from my supplier. This leather was special ordered by the customer, who was gracious enough to let me keep what was left over. While I do not have enough to complete an entire wheel, I do have enough to duplicate this kind of color scheme (red upper section, and the lower done in black/midnight), as well as a shift knob or two. This leather is available on a first come, first serve basis.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
So, for the first of my two major announcements... Those of you familiar with the Indy steering wheels may have noticed this one. Not only was this steering wheel recovered, but extra padding was added to the wheel to thicken it and modernize the feel. While the Indy wheels are slightly thicker than a stock GT wheel, you can see below how much of a difference the extra padding made to the overall thickness.

Although I have the process of adding extra padding figured out for the Indy wheels I'm still working on this process for the GT wheels, as the two styles have slightly different dimensions that have to be accounted for when altering my leather template. I am currently recovering one of my own wheels with thicker padding as a test run, and will be offering this option to my customers once I have it perfected.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

Item sent for some of this awesome work.
tc7130

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tc7130Send a Private Message to tc7130Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for some awesome work ****

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My private messages appear to have been acting up over the past few days... I have sent replies to all potential customers. If you haven't gotten a reply, feel free to send me another message or simply post here on my sale thread. Thanks!
-Alex
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automatic shift knob done in my light beechwood leather. I have enough of this leather for one more GT wheel and possibly another shift knob (automatic or manual).

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Now for the second of my big announcements. After being asked by several member over the last year, I have finally moved forward with sorting out the recovery process for the leather-wrapped four spoke wheels. After quite a bit of trial and error, I've finally got it figured out. As with the GT and Indy wheels, the cost of recovery will be $150 + shipping.

If desired, you can also opt to have the center spokes and hub restored for an additional $20. You can opt to have your wheel center done in either dark grey or black. The wheel pictured below had its spokes and center button refinished in black before being recovered in my black pebble leather.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extra padding on GT wheels is now available! Pictures to come as soon as I get a nice sunny day to take them.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been staying busy lately. This wheel was done in black leather with patriot blue stitching per the customer's request.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
And now for the moment that many of you have been waiting for. The wheel below was done with double the padding thickness of what I usually use. The end result is a wheel that is thicker than the original Fiero wheel, giving it a more modern and more comfortable feel. As you can see, the thumb notches remain sharply defined despite the extra padding. Also shown is a comparison of a normal GT wheel (left) and a wheel with extra padding (right)

I will be charging $25 for this extra padding option, which will be available for both GT and Indy wheels.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 04-30-2016).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do an awesome job on these. A+++++ for you. How long is the turn around time? I feel myself getting back into Fieros soon and will use your sevice depending on what the wheel looks like on what I get.

------------------
1992 SVX LS-L
2006 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
Fieronews Shifter boots

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
wolfwolf

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolfwolfSend a Private Message to wolfwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my wheel in the mail. What an excellent job. I am amazed that this looks just as good if not better than original. Thanks for the great job.
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to post a quick update. I have been hard at work trying to finish restoration on my 88 GT in time for the summer Pontiac show here in NC while simultaneously staying on top of my current customer's orders. I'll be uploading pictures of my new dark beechwood leather within the next few days, as well as a very unique wheel design that should turn some heads. More to come.
-Alex

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 05-25-2016).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the opportunity to see one of these recovered wheels today. VERY nice! I can't wait for the new design.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

And now for the moment that many of you have been waiting for.

The wheel below was done with double the padding thickness of what I usually use.
The end result is a wheel that is thicker than the original Fiero wheel, giving it a more modern and more comfortable feel.

I will be charging $25 for this extra padding option, which will be available for both GT and Indy wheels.

Ahhh! Got my 2 wheels done too soon!
They feel "skinny" compared to stock.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-07-2016).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2016 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just sent my wheel & knob. Can't wait to see the result!
Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been wanting to put up pictures of my interior, now that it's done (minus the door panels). Irrationable's re upholstered steering wheel and shifter knob is still flawless a year later. Again, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LETTING HIM DO YOUR WHEEL. Quality is a step above perfect!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

fiero85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero85Send a Private Message to fiero85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex,

Received my 88 3 Spoke GT and 4 Spoke Steering Wheel and shift knobs. The workmanship and attention are awemsome. Would highly recommend you contact Alex if you need his services.
GOT2B GM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOT2B GMSend a Private Message to GOT2B GMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing my wheel!!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2016 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Due to recent events, I would like to take a moment to speak to my customers, both past and future.

On occasion, I have been known to swap wheel cores in order to decrease turn around time on my customer's wheels. At any given time, I usually keep 2-3 spare wheel cores in my possession to tinker with in my spare time between orders. If I suddenly find myself with multiple orders, or if my class schedule is particularly hectic, I will use my own cores for my customer's order as these are already stripped, padded, and ready to be recovered.

All of the cores that I keep on hand have been sanded, acid etched, and repainted to match OEM standards. I also take the plastic trim from the customer's wheel and transfer it over to the refurbished core. This ensures that the wheel my customer receives is of the same or better quality than the wheel that they initially sent out. I have not, nor will I ever sacrifice the quality of my work to save time or money. I take great pride in my work, and am happy to be able to offer my services to support my fellow Fiero owners.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors