WTB 86 Rack and pinion by AADrcw
Started on: 02-24-2015 12:32 PM
Replies: 8 (215 views)
Last post by: AADrcw on 02-25-2015 10:37 AM
AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in need of a good rack and pinion for my 86 GT. I'm located in Cincinnati, OH.

Thanks, Cody
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be removing one from my 86 SE once the snow is gone.

Not sure of the technical name for it, but the damper piston on the rack is leaking, which is why I'm replacing it.

I'm sure it would be a simple fix, with a new piston, but I'm switching to a GT rack.

I might be able to get it out sooner if you're interested but I'd have to move a lot of stuff around.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I don't have one at the moment, but thought I'd just give an FYI.

If I remember correctly the GT's had a steering wheel turn ratio of 3.0 lock to lock (except 88 GT) all others (except 88 GT) were 3.5 lock to lock.

Do you want to keep the stock turning ratio, or change to the slower non-GT rack? which is a little easier to turn at very slow speeds because of the ratio.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

AADrcw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prefer to stay with a GT rack if possible, The rack that is currently in the car has something internal wrong that when its cold outside (pretty much below freezing) it will slip. I have tried 2 columns and I had the intermediate shaft out and it looked good, so all that could be left is the rack. Pretty much you get a loud metal on metal sound similar to old drum brakes when they have sat for awhile and the steering wheel will move roughly 1-2.5 inches without turning the wheels. it will do it both directions.

After all I have tried I am assuming that it is the rack so I would like to get one as soon as possible to get the car back on the road.

DKcustoms if I cant find a GT rack I will buy the one off of you. Do you have any idea how much you would want for it? The damper isn't a problem as I have a new one in the garage for whenever I can find a rack.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, mentioned just in case you didn't know.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AADrcw:

DKcustoms if I cant find a GT rack I will buy the one off of you. Do you have any idea how much you would want for it? The damper isn't a problem as I have a new one in the garage for whenever I can find a rack.

enough to cover shipping plus a little of my time. I just wont want it sitting around once its out.
but sounds like a plan, good luck looking for a GT one though!
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:
If I remember correctly the GT's had a steering wheel turn ratio of 3.0 lock to lock (except 88 GT) all others (except 88 GT) were 3.5 lock to lock.

Do you know what the 88GT lock to lock is ?
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news! I have an 86 GT rack that I took from Billybo455's car a few years back. It's in good shape and so are the tie rods which I will include. $75 shipped?
AADrcw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

Good news! I have an 86 GT rack that I took from Billybo455's car a few years back. It's in good shape and so are the tie rods which I will include. $75 shipped?

You have a PM

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock