BEST 355 Tribute I have ever scene! ..not Mine by TXOPIE
Started on: 12-23-2014 10:53 AM
Replies: 25 (841 views)
Last post by: 2tone86gt on 12-30-2014 11:08 PM
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beauiful car. Until I saw the interior. Ferrari met a grand prix at a car show, and made a baby!

------------------

Bad Cornflakes

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bad CornflakesSend a Private Message to Bad CornflakesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car but not for $37,500. Nope......
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Beauiful car. Until I saw the interior. Ferrari met a grand prix at a car show, and made a baby!

Custom2M4,

Agreed...but everything is so win, win in a 4 step process!

Step One....Remove the interior/seats and place into another of my 88 Fiero with matching 3800-SC/5-Speed
Step Two...Locate pair of Fiero seats...might as well find an earlier set with the head rest speakers.
Step Three...Order new 355 interior from Rob Amida and matching seat covers from Mr. Mikes.
Step Four...Install new 355 Interior and Seat covers

But I would have to agree with Bad Cornflakes...not worth what they are asking...cut it in half and we would be a lot closer to reality....will watch and wait!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that the interior of this car is an absolute killer for me. I also do not like some of the touches such as the battery in what little trunk is available or the mechanical "stick" rear deck lid hold open device. The F355 may use this type of mechanical device but a set of Rodney's replacement component for the torsion bar would look much better IMHO. With $8k to $10k in interior and under hood improvements this would be a very nice vehicle but you likely would be very difficult to sell it to someone for the $45K plus cost.

Nelson
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked over this auction the other night and was impressed with the kit, interior,ect....Then I get to the 3800 install and it looks like **** ....Why spend all that money on looks to half ass the motor swap...This is not the first kit car I have seen this happen to...I don't understand spending all the time and money only to skimp on the install.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
want more info on the build of the interior love it!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a high quality kit but I have to wonder why he got rid of the gas tank and put a fuel cell up front?

Still...

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certain aspects I really like (exterior body mainly), but then there are several others that just make you question why?
Fuel cell in general is a question, but then you see the fill point is vertical. How does that work w/o putting fuel all over the front area.
The car has the ABS module installed, but is running stock 88 front suspension w/o wheel sensors, so how's that work?
Looks like they are running the 3800 car brake master cylinder... bust stock 88 Fiero front calipers... how does that change the bias?
Its an 88 fiero, but they grafted the 3800 cradle/rear suspension to pieces of an 84-87 cradle to attach it to the chassis... what kind of bumpsteer issues will it now have? Does it just have rear ABS?
They reused the restrictive U exhaust portion from the stock 3800 exhaust...
Looks like there is a lot of crap that is traveling front/back through the gas tank tunnel... which its cap looks to lose about 1-2" of ground clearance.

If it was mine, I would keep the body and gut the front trunk area, interior, and engine swap and redo those areas.

ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would anyone put an 84/87 cradle in an 88? I wonder what type of stress those spacers put on the rear suspension? The components are not designed to take that type of load.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

ennored

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And ABS too. The '87 style rear suspension may have let him used Grand Prix knuckles? To help with the ABS swap? Maybe?
PFF
System Bot
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, at least it is not a four cylinder. Big buzz kill when that happens.
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rectangular headlights are huge missed opportunity too. Seems like I remember one of the doors in the pics hanging extremely close to the rocker panel, but is probably an adjustment.

ETA: Some of the real 355s sell on ebay for less than the asking price of this kit.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 12-25-2014).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ILVMYGT:

Why would anyone put an 84/87 cradle in an 88? I wonder what type of stress those spacers put on the rear suspension? The components are not designed to take that type of load.

it gets weirder, look at the control arms, they look like GP parts to me, definitely not fiero spec. looks like he welded fiero cradle mounts to the grand prix subframe....
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think i saw this thing fuel up in Augusta about a month ago off i-20. I was checking it out because i was thinking how good it looks. When the guy pulled away, the things rasps just like a Ferrari. I would've never guessed it had a 3.8 in it.
Ron
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I parked next to this car at the 2013 Indian Uprising. Beautiful car. The fuel cell was moved to make room for the grand prix interior.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 12-25-2014).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

I parked next to this car at the 2013 Indian Uprising. Beautiful car. The fuel cell was moved to make room for the grand prix interior.

That makes perfect sense now...was wondering how they got the middle console to sit at the correct height...hadn't been able to put my finger on it yet...they used a fuel cell to eliminate the stock gas tank and drop the center of the center console.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody spent a metric azzload of money to build that car.
Personally... I like it. Including the GP interior, since it appears to have been done right. (I really would like to have that interior in my car.)
The only thing I really don't like is the engine cradle.
As common as the 3800 swap is, it should have been easy to retain the 88 cradle. (Unless this is a very old swap. But still...)
I thought that control arm looked familiar. My G6 also has control arms that look like that.

Regardless... Too rich for my blood. Even if I preferred the 355 body over the Fiero's. Which I don't.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the "Jim Ashlock" build.
http://www.madmechanics.com...ir-dynamics-kit.html

Very nicely done.

Bob
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by ILVMYGT:

It should be the GP cradle...
http://www.madmechanics.com...build-questions.html

Bob
Lurate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LurateClick Here to visit Lurate's HomePageSend a Private Message to LurateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No doubt that's got to be Ashlock's car. I"ve been in it and watched it being built. He's very talented. I'm one of those who thinks the Grand Prix interior looks great and certainly has a nice feel when sitting in the car. The additonaly plus is matching gauges with the engine. As many of us know, when you calculate the time, $$$, and effort $37,000 is not unreasonable at all. It's been relisted with bidding up to $14,500 now
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the car was out on the east coast. Then in the Chicago area and was for sale for a while (don't remember what he was asking then, think it was less then its currently going for). The owner in the Chicago area also had a Testarosa kit from the same builder. I have not seen that or know if he still has it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

WOW!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep...12&pt=US_Car s_Trucks

I'm not very familiar with the 3800, but I suspect the oil pan doesn't normally look dented and pushed up like that.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interior wasn't so bad, except for the doors. All that cloth/carpet. Not a fan.

I don't know how anyone could confuse this with the real thing. The interior screams GM. Not a bad thing, but not Ferarri. The exhaust hangs down oddly & looks rinky-dink. Don't even get me started on the headlights.

As for the fuel cell, not a fan of those for an off-track car. Certainly not liking it in this car.

Not a fan of all those ridiculous releases. I like the emergency options, but the rest was like an afterthought.

I'm sure the time/effort/money were excessive, but not to my taste.

The body doesn't look badly, but why does the car keep being sold?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-28-2014).]

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now at $15,700 with 4 days to go and RESERVE NOT MET.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep...00&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to take away from the workmanship of this car because it does take skill to make it look that clean... but I never completely understood why people blow a gazillion dollars on an entire rebody kit to make it a wanna be. The natural beauty of the car is destroyed and till you are all said and done pumping that kind of money in it in the end it's still just a fiero. An accent here and there ok but personally I like the fiero the way it is not as something it is not.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock