3.4 Drill jig for 3.4 by Droptop72
Started on: 11-09-2014 06:45 PM
Replies: 10 (781 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 11-11-2014 09:07 AM
Droptop72

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Droptop72Send a Private Message to Droptop72Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello - I'm looking for the jig to drill the block for the starter on a V6. Anyone have one they used once and is gathering dust in the tool box? If so, let me know how much $$ you want for it shipped to northern California. No express shipping required.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no need for the jig, just use a starter as a guide to drill the holes.
Here are some pics on how to do it from my swap thread

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Here are the pics from the Starter Relocation Swap.
The starter has to be moved to the other side of the block on the 3.4L. So holes have to be drilled and taped.

I held up the starter, with the teeth engaged, to see how it all fits

You have to make sure that where you have it and it is DISengaged that the flywheel doesn't hit this rubber bushing in the starter....Like so

Then I used a punch to mark the center of the first hole.

Got everthing level and drilled a pilot hole. (You don't have to use a pilot hole but I just chose to)

Then when it all looked OK, I used a 21/64 drill bit for the hole.

I taped out the hole for the starter bolt. The stock size of tap is 10x1.5. I chose to tap it 3/8 and I got Grade 8 hardend bolts, since I hate it when a starter bolt breaks. I used a extension with a piece of metal wedged in it so I could get a longer reach on it.

With the first bolt in place, line up the starter again. And you want to be close to the flywheel, as you can use shims if you are too close, but if you are too far there is nothing you can do.
Then tighten the first bolt and have someone hold it in place and drill the second hole.

Tapping the second hole is easier from the other side.

Both holes drilled and tapped

I have done dozens this way and it works every time.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-11-2014).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those jigs have been known to ruin blocks. they are made one time use only and get worse every time they are used.
Again they can ruin your block, IE it can drill the starter too far away, then the block is trash.
Just use a starter as a guide to drill the holes.

This is certainly news to me. I've sold like 500 of these 3.4 drill jigs and no one has ever told me it ruined their block. I also sell them to Isuzu Trooper owners that have the GM 2.8 and upgrade to a GM 3.4. If they were ruining blocks I think it would be well documented here and on the Isuzu Trooper forum. Can you offer some documented proof that they are ruining blocks (as in more than one)??

Or is this just another of your jabs at me? We all know you do not like me and you try to jab me every chance you get.

If this is just another "I don't like that guy" jab then I think many here should consider giving you some negatives.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read on here of people useing the jig and the starter is too far away and the block gets junked, then other people have said the same thing.

The jig is unneeded anyway. I have done dozens of 3.4L swaps with out rodneys jig.

And rodney, get off your high horse, not every post I make is about you. And calling for negs for me, the rating system is about contribution to the forum, not your own personal agendas.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have read on here of people useing the jig and the starter is too far away and the block gets junked, then other people have said the same thing.

I've been here since the beginning. I have never heard any of this. You seem to be the only one that has. Can you provide some documentation?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my own experience is the jig worked great. didn't help Rodney financially in this instance (although I've bought a number of items from Rodney that were top notch) but I bought a jig kit from someone (don't remember who) and no idea how many uses it had before me, but when I was done I sold to someone else who used it successfully.

the jig worked great, not sure I would have done it by just lining up a starter although many do. my experience is it worked great and made it easy. I suppose if someone didn't follow the instructions they could screw it up. Can't speak for anyone else who has used the jig but if I were to do it again I'd buy or find a jig kit.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And rodney, get off your high horse, .

And lower myself down to your level? Nobody IMO wants to do business with a liar.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

rennoc442

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rennoc442Send a Private Message to rennoc442Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I searched for the post, (the forum search sucks) I recall one person saying they used the jig and the teeth didn't touch, someone else responded that has been known to happen. Something like that, but since I can't find it, I will retract my statement on that and edit my post to provide better info on drilling the starter.
It wasn't a jab just what I remember reading. My bad I can't find it.

Now for the rest of your posts, you just don't get it.

"high horse" Definition:
Arrogantly believing oneself superior to others, often by putting down large groups of people. In usage, such a person is described as "on a high horse" or may be told to "Get off your high horse."

You really do think you are better than everyone on here don't you?

I knew you were arrogant, but just WOW.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey droptop, thread kinda took a curve but back to your need. you might want to consider buying a new one from Rodney and selling it when your done. they usually bring around $40 shipped. I think the people that actually have them collecting dust in their tool chest are probably no longer active on here and aren't seeing your post. plus you buy a used one and you don't know how many times it's been used, the drill bit and tap might be getting a little dull or one of the pieces missing.
someone with moderate skill and ability to drill straight will be able to do it the way Dave does, for the rest of us the jig makes up for our lack of skill.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I searched for the post, (the forum search sucks) I recall one person saying they used the jig and the teeth didn't touch,.

In my opinion one person may have used it and not followed the directions. If the 8 mm bolt is not installed before you start drilling then the jig will probably not be in the correct location. So because one person did not follow the directions, maybe bought it second hand and did not look on my web page on how to use it, did not request a copy of the instructions from me it and then used it incorrectly does not mean my jig is defective. 500+ people will agree with me that is does work very well. In my opinion my jig is an exceptional tool. It is not even my design. Norm Knoll of our local Fiero club designed it. Norm Knoll is an exceptional designer/craftsman. Sorry to see you trash talking his drill jig.

You reply should be: Although his jig has been shown to work very well make sure you follow the instructions or you may end up with the starter holes in the wrong location and you may ruin your block. On my web page I show you how to do it using a starter as the drill guide thus eliminating the need to buy his drill jig.

This is what someone with integrity would say.
------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 11-11-2014).]

PFF
System Bot