Started on: 10-26-2014 07:10 PM
Replies: 0 (357 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 10-26-2014 07:10 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero buddy of mine (Rainey) is looking to liquidate all his Fiero stuff as it is stored in rental storage buildings and he is no longer physically able to do anything with all the stuff.

Another posting will have another 88 Coupe with 3.4PR/Isuzu car listed. Then yet another posting will have all the other parts he has.

This is not my car, but I did 90+ % of the work that has been done to the car including the 4.9 swap and the Roadster reinforcing (Fiero top has never been cut off). Rainey is the current owner and is open to offers on the car. It is located in Nicholasville, KY (10 miles south of Lexington, KY) right off highway 27. His phone # is 859-253-1878

This is a very, very clean 88 chassis and has had its body panels and interior off it for nearly a decade. It originally belonged to Blackrams who is a very good friend of mine, so I did a lot of work to this car over the years. Around 2008ish Ron brought the chassis to me and I did a 4.9 caddy swap in it using the 7730 ECM and starting with a 305 TPI/manual SD memcal. The swap was pretty basic hardware wise, but had some nice features....

7730 ecm, 305 TPI/Manual SD Memcal with programmable chip. Caddy fuel & spark tables were transferred over so the car has baseline tune. It ran well for the 20 miles I put on it.
Injectors were cleaned/rebuilt, but all bets are off on current condition.
Uses a truck TBI unit so there is a legitimate IAC, there is an adapter plate to flip it 180 so it clears the EGR, and the injector pod was removed and capped.
No A/C, alternator mount low mounted, torque strut is low mounted as well. Stock Isuzu brackets were sectioned to lower the engine/transmission as much as possible.
Thermostat housing is cleaner/more organized than most as well as the fuel line, vacuum line routing, and other coolant hoses... its pretty organized.
There is a panel that covers where the harness passes through the firewall, so less harness distractions.
Custom fabbed air inlet from the PS where a stock S10 air filter box is used.
Unlike some of my more recent swaps, this engine swap should be plug & play to another Fiero chassis with minimal work.

Once the swap was done, then a year or three later, I stayed at Ron's house for a week and did the vast majority of the Roadster chassis reinforcement.
2x3x1/8" wall tubes were used to make the basic shape that wraps the door openings and connects the base of the A-pillar to the upper frame rail in the rear. In addition to this, there is a 2x2 and 2x3 cross beam at each end of the passenger compartment welded to the chassis frame rails and then to some angle that runs down the fuel tank tunnel. a steel plate caps off the tunnel to help improve torsional resistance. There are a few more thinks I wanted to do to the chassis, but the body side of the project stalled out and it sat for years (inside), until it was sold to Rainey about a year ago (still stored inside).

The swap was removed for all the Roadster work, but was never reinstalled and returned to a running state.

Here are the pictures as the car sits:

Front (bumper is in side the car):

Rear... the flanges were every so slightly tweaked, easily fixed:

OLD PICS FROM WHEN I DID THE SWAP BACK IN 08/09... not current condition, but should give you an idea about the swap:

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s162/fieroguru/Rons%204%20point%209%20install/IMG_5825.jpg[/IMG
Cradle:

Front Engine Mount:

Rear Engine Mount:

Transmission mounts (sectioned to lower the drivetrain):

Low mount dogbone/torque strut:

Low Mount Alternator:

Thermostat housing and coolant hose routing:

Adapter plate for truck TB - flipped 180 degrees for IAC clearance:

EGR Spacer - for clearance to throttle cable assembly.

Throttle Cable - welded 4cyl throttle cam to the truck TB:

Throttle cable bracket - uses 88 4cyl throttle cable:

Exhaust - no mufflers - waiting on the replica body install, installed the disks to quiet it some for driving:

Cover plate for wire harness pass through:

500 harness relocated under rear glass and routed lower inside a slit conduit tube:

Engine harness connection to the 500 connector comes from the bottom of the engine:

ECM:

]

OLD PICS FROM THE ROADSTER REINFORCEMENT BUILD SEVERAL YEARS AGO (and good picture of underside of chassis):

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock