WANTED: 5-Speed Getrag Transmission, Central Florida Area by ITALGT
Started on: 08-29-2014 11:11 AM
Replies: 9 (227 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 09-09-2014 06:50 PM
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the title says, I'm looking for a 5-Speed Getrag transmission for my SBC Fiero. I haven't searched the local yards just yet... I just wanted to see if any Pennock's forum members in the central Florida area had one they'd part with.

I would prefer the later model Getrag that was used in GM FWD cars such as the1992-94 Beretta/Corsica, but may consider the original Fiero Getrag depending on miles/condition.

Also needing (wanting) an aluminum flywheel for the SBC/Getrag combo. Odds are slim I will find one, but maybe someone's got one they'd sell.

Post here or PM... thanks in advance!

Brett

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 08-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DaveC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad you don't live closer to AL. I have one in storage that had new carrier bearings installed before I ran it for a while in my SBC Fiero. I just got out of Fieros, so I've still got some parts to sell. Still got a Centerforce 153 tooth manual flywheel (for internally balanced engine), starter, and alternator mount. All V8 specific.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 08-29-2014).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaveC:

Too bad you don't live closer to AL. I have one in storage that had new carrier bearings installed before I ran it for a while in my SBC Fiero. I just got out of Fieros, so I've still got some parts to sell. Still got a Centerforce 153 tooth manual flywheel (for internally balanced engine), starter, and alternator mount. All V8 specific.

Dave

That's usually how it goes Dave lol... You just reminded me that I will be needing (wanting) an aluminum flywheel too. I know Archie offered these, not sure anyone else still does.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 08-29-2014).]

DaveC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, lol!
I asked Archie about 2 years before his (semi) retirement if he was planning on making anymore. He said no. They are expensive to produce for the small run market, so unless you're a machinist or know one who likes you a whole lot, it will be tough to get one.

BTW, don't know if you heard, but Archie liquidated most of his business assets and moved to Las Vegas. I believe he wants to keep selling kits from that location though.

Dave
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I heard that... I can live without the aluminum flywheel, but I'll be looking for one up until the point I'm ready to install the transmission I am looking for. Benefit of running one is two-fold, less rotational mass for quicker RPM's (throttle to neck-snapping ratio) and less load on the engine/drivetrain. I'm ditching the factory TPI intake for a Stealth Ram and appropriate cam for higher RPM use in an attempt to make the Getrag's ultra-low gearing easier to live with. I'll actually be sacrificing some bottom-end torque doing this, but it should be a lot more fun to drive while reducing the odds of blowing another transmission.

I'll keep this post active here for a while and see what happens on the transmission at least. I'll be calling the local yards starting next week.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 08-30-2014).]

DaveC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger that. Mine was a 327, so it loved to rev, and torque wasn't too bad either, but I'm glad it wasn't a torque monster. If the Getrag is gonna go it won't be in first gear, that's fo sho!
Hope everything turns out well for ya man.

Dave
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BuMp
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bUmP
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One More BuMp.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one from an 87 SE. Had about 150K on it before it was totaled. I put it in another 87 for a little while but didn't keep up with the mileage. It ran fine and I'm sure still does. It is alread removed and can be shipped. I've heard that a good way to do it is to put it in a big plastic storage container.

What would you value it at (plus shipping)?

PM me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock