Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  [MI] Yellow 1986 Fiero SE/Fastback/GT 88 clone - looking for advice

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
[MI] Yellow 1986 Fiero SE/Fastback/GT 88 clone - looking for advice by philrenato
Started on: 08-23-2014 05:11 PM
Replies: 11 (657 views)
Last post by: philrenato on 09-17-2014 07:43 PM
philrenato

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 SE that had a fastback transplant and some other body work done before I bought it. It developed a rod knock, yesterday, and I'm weighing my options. It's not my daily driver, and I have two Trans Ams as toys, so I'm not in any hurry. But I do want to figure out a way to either put it back on the road by spring for the least possible $, or whether anyone is interested in buying it off of me and I'll buy a V8 Fiero once I can afford one. Here are pics, so you get the idea of what my car is like:
https://www.flickr.com/phot...ts/72157646724533016

It is my third Fiero (an Indy was my first car, and I had an 86GT in the late 90s.) I've had it less than a year. It has the following features:

Auto, ~80k miles (speedo flutters like crazy)
88 wheels, pretty good tires
Starts, runs, shifts, drives, stops, turns, etc
New LED side lights (from Danyel)
Sunroof, with deflector
Newly professionally tinted windows
New smoked sail panels
Stock color 88 yellow paint, base/clear, pretty good - nice and smooth, but not painted around the backs of panels etc
93 TA seats, nice
Interior is pretty clean (dark gray) - only the radio bezel is damaged
2.8 that was running great - just replaced all the ignition/distributor components
PO said it has a 'performance chip'
I put a new alternator in it in June
New embroidered yellow and gray matts (Lloyds)
LED bulbs in base/clear smoked tail lights
Pontiac CD with yellow aux in (from forum member)
Headlight motors are disconnected, I pulled the snap ring and have been just moving the arm off and onto the spindle manually on the rare occasion I drive at night
No significant rust anywhere that I've found
Integrated scoop rocker panels
Cold air intake

SO, these are the options as I see them:
1. Put a new long block in it or rebuild mine (myself or have someone do it)
2. Put the fully dressed 5k TPI 305 I have on a stand in my garage in there (instead of saving it in case one of my TA motors ever goes)
3. Buy a used 2.8, perhaps off of one of you (and install myself or have someone do it)
4. Put a 3800 or other V6 in there
5. Sell the car, buy another Fiero with built motor later (though I really, really want a yellow one)
6. Part it out (which I don't have time to do, and would break my heart)

I don't really need more power, I drive like an old man. But I do like the idea of it having a more modern powerplant. My wife would KILL ME, however, if I spent the kind of money that it looks like Archie charges to do a V8 swap (although I'm sure it's worth it.) $7k, right?

Any advice or things I should consider as I weigh these options? Anyone in the greater Grand Rapids, MI area that would be interested in rebuilding or swapping in a motor for me for at a reasonable cost? Anyone within driving distance have a bulletproof 2.8? Thanks in advance for thinking about this with me.

Re: knock, since I am not remotely a professional mechanic and am self diagnosing: The oil gauge has always fluttered, like most of my instruments - the light did come on when at idle at around 10psi. But it would shoot up to 50psi while driving, I assumed it was the gauge - I'm guessing now that it was actually too low and I smoked something in the lower end. It's run for a total of about 10 minutes since I heard the noise, pulling out of my driveway, then back into the barn and trying to diagnose. It was about 3 days after I replaced the distributor and coil and retimed etc. I also had a couple of plug wires that I noticed were split right about the same time, (which I've now replaced,) but I think that's all a coincidence. It had the same oil pressure after I put the distributor in as it had before I did. The sound is crazy rough - gets louder as you accelerate, and I can find nothing else that might be making that sound other than bearings or a rod.

[This message has been edited by philrenato (edited 08-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! Used 2.8 a aren't that much. I am sure there are affordable options. Always better to fix up the one you have then start over on these cars. Just my opinion. Good luck!!!
JJ
philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, and I'm thinking more and more that a used swap will be the fastest, cheapest, and will end up working well considering how few miles I'm planning on putting on it. Ciao
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want an easy swap but still get more power. You could always go the route of the 3.4 swap. Just about everything is the same. There are plenty of write ups on it here. Few things you have to change around, but the mounts and wiring plug n play. IMO, if it were me, with a body in the shape that car has.... I'd at least put a temp swap in there until you can build the swap you really have your eye set on. I believe the 3.4 Camaro swap is a 35-40 HP bump while you're at it. Just tossin out another cheap option for ya. Would hate to see someone let go of that care simply because of a motor.

~James
philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good affirmation that it's worth keeping, thanks. So many cars that I've seen for sale, before I bought this one, I never actually visited in person. So I don't really know what their condition is. If I thought I could pick up something in as good condition with a V-8 for four or five grand, esp an 88, it might be worth dumping this. But maybe, like Trans Ams, the closer you get the worse they look when you're in the low price range :-) I have a friend who parts out third and fourth gen Firebirds/Camaros, so coming up with a 3.4 shouldn't be too difficult. And in the meantime I found a line on a motor which may work out. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by philrenato (edited 08-24-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another Fiero in Grand Rapids. Didnt see you at the Metro Cruise. WE were fortunately able by the kindness of Mr Leese to have a "Fiero" parking area. We parked in front of rental car lot part of Harvey Automotive and we have been invited back next year. Hope to see you!

Steve
NE Grand Rapids, MI
philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was at Metro Cruise, but had blown the motor two days before. I was in the Rogers Plaza lot, with my forest green and red GTAs. I would love to bring the Fiero next year, and park with some others :-)

https://flic.kr/p/oSxeT5

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM
philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My used motor, with 33K, just arrived from Detroit. This will be some kind of adventure.

https://flic.kr/p/oGxGZM

Thank you for the advice, all.

philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the old motor is out. Scarier than I thought it would be.

Only broke two bolts; on the top of the left strut tower. Dumb.

I'm wondering if putting the new one back in is going to be trickier than pulling this one out was.

http://flic.kr/p/oLNECh

[This message has been edited by philrenato (edited 09-03-2014).]

philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New (used) motor is installed, fired, and idles.

Pulling cradle bolts out was not fun, but heat helped. Putting them back in found they were unwelded, which is weird because I got them out. Took a few weeks, but it looks and sounds better and I think I did it right. Still need to put some final details back together. Fun project. Next time I may pay somebody.

[This message has been edited by philrenato (edited 09-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
philrenato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philrenatoClick Here to visit philrenato's HomePageSend a Private Message to philrenatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And...I'm done.

http://flic.kr/p/oZ7eE2

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock